| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: baby gear
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I also love my changing table. I am too old to be bending over changing a baby on a bed. Or sitting on the floor.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:05 pm 
Married to the wolfman

We didn't change either kid on the floor when they were really little... at least I never did. The Emperor I changed on top of the washing machine (which was in our kitchen at the time, yeah I don't know) and the Magician I changed on top of the bin I keep his diapers in, which was right in front of my comfy sitting chair.

With E there was nowhere to put a changing table-- with M there's probably room but he started rolling so vigorously so early that unless it's got some sort of built in straight jacket, a raised horizontal surface just isn't safe for him.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:14 am 
Nooch of Earl

For a while when we were homeless we changed V on the molded pad from the changing table on a dresser or bathroom counter. I have to say, I'm really happy to have the changing table back - it meant she could no longer crawl away during changes because there was nowhere to go w/out plunging off the table (which she wasn't absolutely opposed to doing, but it slowed her down a bit as she contemplated diving off).

Still, though, I wouldn't classify it as a necessity. I would, however, absolutely advise installing a car seat once you hit 32 weeks. Even if you do a home birth you'll be taking the kid to a pediatrician at 24-48 hrs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:18 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yeah, we didn't have a nursery set up, either. Our crib fit in our room, and we just change our kids on the floor (perk of being a young mom I guess). We just moved into a new house, and they are each getting their own room (the 4yo had a room at the last place, but not our 19mo).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:00 am 
Semen Strong

ismloveyoubobbybrown wrote:
we just change our kids on the floor (perk of being a young mom I guess).

I change Leela on the floor all the time, and I'm nearly 41! I am psyched that that makes me a young mom :)

I don't think its a question of age, just what your level of physical comfort is. A young mom with back issues might need a changing table. I do most of my changes by chasing her down, pinning her, and wrestling with her to get her diaper off without being covered in poop and then putting another on. Its the most aerobic part of my day!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:32 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

annak wrote:
For a while when we were homeless we changed V on the molded pad from the changing table on a dresser or bathroom counter. I have to say, I'm really happy to have the changing table back - it meant she could no longer crawl away during changes because there was nowhere to go w/out plunging off the table (which she wasn't absolutely opposed to doing, but it slowed her down a bit as she contemplated diving off).

Still, though, I wouldn't classify it as a necessity. I would, however, absolutely advise installing a car seat once you hit 32 weeks. Even if you do a home birth you'll be taking the kid to a pediatrician at 24-48 hrs.

Oh yeah, my poopr friend had to install our carseat at the hospital. I remember when I was getting into the car Nate throwing the box for the carseat in the backseat. Nt well planned. It was on our to do its for that weekend!

I sit on the bed and change grey now most of the time. That way I can also pin him with my legs if he gets too squirmy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:52 am 

Tofulish wrote:
I don't think its a question of age, just what your level of physical comfort is.

Yeah, I agree. I mostly threw that in there because of comments in this thread. We spent the last two months with living with family and all sorts of 50-60 year old relatives changed my kid on the floor without complaint (even if we owned a changing table we wouldn't have had it with us under the circumstances). P.S. I don't care what your age is. It is obvious you are setting the bar high when it comes to awesome parenting, T'lish.

Back on topic, I do like that if you have a changing table all your diaper stuff is in one place and kind of out of sight. Our diaper stuff is just in a pile in our living room next to the spot on the floor where I usually change Milo. Not very aesthetically pleasing, but I won't give up the convenience.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:36 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Can I just say thank you to LisaPunk and all the awesome parents who have contributed to this thread?

I'm coming up to 27 weeks, and we have a cot [crib], bassinet [which was used ~30 years ago for me and my brother and ~55 years ago for my mum and her sister], pram, changing mat pad thing, a handful of nappies, a decent-ish stash of clothes for varying sizes, and a bunch of blankets and swaddling wraps and such.
I especially appreciated seeing different views on changing tables, as it's one thing I didn't want to get but my mum thought we should, so I'm pleased so many of you are happy without one.
I was going to buy a carseat/capsule this last weekend but we've been offered one to loan from a trainer at the gym which is awesome, and we can get a full sized carseat for free once the baby is born.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:35 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks everyone for all the info. i really appreciate it even if i havent chimed in previously.
after i originally posted this i hadnt really come back to the interwebs for some time due to nausea and exhaustion from morning sickness so this is really the first time im actually reading through most of this.

sounds like the gist of what everyone is saying is that you dont need more of the crepe the world tells you you have to buy.

i think i would probably get a changing table. i have busted knees and sometimes i have mild back issues. plus we have two nosy dogs so i dont envision myself changing diapers on the floor and all of our table/dresser surfaces have crepe on them.

here's a stupid question. for those of you who never set up a nursery/didnt buy a crib where did the kid sleep?
im confused???????

my husband and i were interested in the cosleeper. i didnt realize it's best to have the baby in the same bedroom as you when it's a newborn (im soooo new at this stuff) and our bedroom isnt that big and it's filled with a king sized bedroom set plus we have two medium sized dogs and their dog beds. we dont really have much room for a crib or bassinet or whatever a newborn sleeps in in the bedroom but the cosleeper might fit right next to me. then i would assume after you are done using the cosleeper you would move the baby into a crib in the nursery/baby's room???
what did everyone do?

we'll definitely be getting a car seat. i plan on delivering at a hospital though im sure i will get mega pressure from my MIL to deliver at home. that aint happening. sorry. i totally respect anyone who WANTS to do it and think it's awesome but im totally not comfortable doing it for my first kid. im confused, scared, and nervous and want a hospital damnit!

other than that we definitely want a pak n play or whatever they are called so we can set it up in the living room so the babe can sleep there when we are up and around the house. i think that will be good for the dogs too cause they have never been around kids (ok not sure about one of them who seems fine around kids but the other one i know hasnt) that way they can sniff the baby and baby stuff but not like jump on it and lick it's face.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:47 am 
Semen Strong

Lisa, we co-sleep, ie her in my bed. Dr Sears has info on how to do it safely here: http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/sleep- ... -sometimes

We had the Arm's Reach co-sleeper and everyone we met kept telling us it was super-dangerous to have the baby in bed with us, but she wouldn't sleep any other way, so out of desperation I moved her into bed and she has slept incredibly well there. Your baby may feel differently and sleep well in a cot or bassinet :) Oh, my baby also refused to sleep in a pack & play but slept like a champ in the Moby being worn on me, so just be prepared that your kidlet might have their own feelings about baby gear!

Oh, and re the dogs and cats, we brought a baby blanket home after she was born for the dog to sniff and get used to her scent (I was in the hospital for 3 days and my husband went home to get stuff). Our dog is really mellow though. If you have a dog where you are concerned about issues with a baby, I'd say (1) the baby is easy to separate from the dog for a while because they aren't very mobile and (2) talk to a behaviorist about how best to integrate them as the baby grows up.

And re a hospital birth versus home birth, you have a ton of time and don't have to make a decision right now, especially one that is coming from a place of being afraid and nervous or from a place of pleasing your MIL :) Definitely get clear on your boundaries and don't let her push you! Its your baby and your birth experience!

If you are interested, there are sites like Baby Center, where you can join your "Birth Club" ie people giving birth in the same month as you are and share info. http://www.babycenter.com/ I found it really useful, because sometimes you just want to hear what a bunch of other people at the same stage as you are doing ... For me, it made me feel like less of a slacker.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:56 am 
Bathes in Braggs

lisa, we didn't set up a nursery, because we lived in a little 2 bedroom and one bedroom was our office/workspace (my husband has big computers, i have piles of art and sewing stuff) and there wasn't anywhere else for that stuff to go!

we coslept part-time, but i'm not 100% convinced of its safety... i think it's generally fine, but i also think that just because people have been cospleeping for centuries doesn't mean that the combo of full-grown adults and bedding and tiny baby doesn't have risks. fact is though that often newborns WILL only sleep when directly on or next to a parent, and you have to sleep, so you swallow the risks and hope for the best.

anyway, we had a bassinet, and tzipi would sleep in there for a bit at a time, then need to be moved to our bed. then, when she outgrew the bassinet, we squeezed the smallest ikea crib into our room and would have her sleep there when she would, and in our bed when she wouldn't. then, when she was about 6 months, she was sleeping pretty well, so we moved her crib to the office and had her sleep there when she would, and in our bed when she wouldn't. for her, i noticed she did sleep better in her own space, and i DEFINITELY slept better with my own space... you will figure it out.

now she has her own room, but she still comes and sleeps with us on occasion.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:57 am 
***LIES!!!***

I'm sure I would sleep better in my own space, but Malka will only sleep in our bed. At this point, we don't have to be in it, but she won't fall asleep anywhere else (except in the car, stroller, or in a wrap - not helpful for bedtime).

We originally had a cosleeper and she was willing to sleep there maybe a quarter of the time newborn through four or five months, but she'd always have to come into our bed in the middle of the night to resettle after waking up - except of course those times she wanted to be awake for several hours in the middle of the night, in which case we had to get up with her and she'd often only go back to sleep in the Moby wrap or resting on our chests on the couch (definitely less safe than cosleeping in bed, but I can't tell you how many nights I spent sleeping on the couch with her, it was crazy and somehow we all survived). In the beginning when she was in our bed she often slept on our chests (sometimes in a wrap) or on an extra firm flat pillow a little higher on the bed than us, which felt a little safer. Now she just sleeps any which way in our bed and often repositions herself to bury her face in the pillows or comforter with her butt up in the air. She complains when we reposition her.

When she started pulling up and cruising (around 6 months) we had to lower the cosleeper to crib level so she wouldn't fall out and then she basically refused to sleep in it ever, so we just dismantled it and brought her into bed full time. We will probably try to transition her to a toddler bed or futon/mattress on the ground in the near future rather than go through the crib stage - I just don't think she's having any of that. We also don't have a second room to put her in (we have a second room, it is filled with "office" crepe), but we're hoping to get that in order some day!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:18 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

We switched back and forth between using a co-sleeper and letting Lydia sleep in our bed until around 5 months or so. I wanted Lydia in our room initially for ease of breastfeeding-- newborns need to nurse a lot at night, and it's a lot easier to nurse a baby who is already in your bed or right next to you. Once Lydia outgrew the co-sleeper, I didn't want to let her sleep in our bed full-time, so we then transitioned to the crib in a separate room. The transition wasn't fun, but it wasn't too horrible either.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:02 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

We initially had a bassinet in our room right next to the bed, but we ALL slept terribly. Babies are crazy noisy while they sleep! After only one week I think we moved him to a crib in another room where he sleeps great (he basically has awakened zero to one time at night for a feeding for weeks and weeks now) If he wasn't a good sleeper though I probably would have him in our bed because SLEEP has become a semi-obsession for me. Whatever works for the maximum amount of sleep is the way I go~

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:09 pm 
Chip Strong

We had Ada in a cosleeper for the first five or six months and she slept really well in it. Once she was able to sit up in it we needed to put her in the crib but I didn't want her in the other room yet so we moved out a dresser from our room and moved the crib in its place. She goes to sleep in the crib but comes into bed with us for the rest of the night if she wakes up (which is usually every night). We actually cosleep more now than when she was a newborn. I think she'll be in our room until she is done nursing in the middle of the night.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:34 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I absolutely loved my cosleeper bassinet. It's kind of like a mini crib which can also have a side removed to be attached as a cosleeper. http://www.armsreach.com/index.php?main ... hiq899l0p4
I didn't use the bumper for it and got some cute sheets for it on Etsy. It was a good size one too, so he fit well until about 5 months. By then he was getting big for it and starting rolling all over the place, so it wasn't working out anymore. It was good timing for us to switch him to the crib in his own room. That room also has a bed, so when he wakes at night to nurse, I nurse him side-lying in the bed and then transfer him to the crib and head back to my room. I think we all slept better once he was in his own room, but I don't think we would have been ready for it before then. I think the most dangerous time for SIDS is 2-4 months, so I also had a little more piece of mind having him next to me where I could see him during that time. The cosleeper bassinet we got was super expensive, but I think a cheaper one would probably do the trick too. I like the one I have though and now it is converted into a little chair for reading. It's really cute.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:52 am 
Semen Strong

Anyone had any experience with amber teething necklaces?

And just a little rant, A friend of mine emailed me an article about amber teething necklaces, which was an opinion piece where the author said she could find no scientific evidence for them working. She asked me what I thought, and I said that for me, for $20, given the anecdotal evidence I've heard, it was worth a shot if you can afford it and your child is really suffering (hers is having a really hard time). She wrote me a really condescending email about how she was "surprised by how unskeptical (not a word IRL but used in her email) I was, given that there is no scientific evidence that it works."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:59 am 

We had a teething necklace, but it broke before I noticed a real difference. I am skeptical, BUT given how low risk/high reward they are it seems worth a shot. Worst case, your kid is wearing a cute necklace.

(So, yeah, I am sorry your friend was rude. I think there are many things worth researching more thoroughly when it comes to children. This isn't really one of them.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:57 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I'm still confused about the teething necklace. Are they supposed to chew on it? Or is it supposed to work just by them wearing it? If the latter, not only am I skeptical, I'm in shock that they've been able to sell so many of these things because that is crossing into the strictly magic category. People keep telling me "just by wearing it" and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around people telling me such a thing.

I think what your friend did was mean - she set you up just to give herself a chance to be mean to you - that was planned and she's a jerk. But putting that aside and not pointing to you in particular because I don't think this is true of you, it is sort of weird how "unskeptical" people are in general about stuff and when it comes to their kids, that kind of lack of skepticism can lead to really bad health outcomes (teething aside - I don't think any kid ever had lasting injury from teething pain). I don't even want evidence, I want a mechanism by which it might work. Homeopathy has no believable mechanism by which it might work, for example. I don't need a hundred studies showing me it doesn't work (any better than a placebo) to decide not to use it on myself or my kid, especially not to treat anything that should be treated by actual medicine.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:39 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

My sister bought one of those. She originally made her husband wear it (supposed to help arthritis) but he felt that it was effective after a few weeks so she shortened it and her 9 month old wears it now. She said it didn't seem to be helping but she kept it on her just in case as well as because it was so darn cute!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:05 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I don't see any reason why an amber necklace would cause pain relief, and if it did I would assume it was leaching something into my kid's body and I would like to know what that was.

That said, if somebody wants to put a bunch of amber on his or her kid I don't really give two chickpea farts. It does kind of annoy me when "alternative medicine" gets associated with veganism, though, because I think of them as totally separate things. Like there's a local vegan group that does a lot of meetups but they tend to be stuff I consider a bit nutty, such as this week's "Achieve Vibrational Success and Heal Your Life." Feh.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:16 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

copied from a company that sells amber necklaces "The warmth from the skin releases the active ingredient in the Baltic amber, succinic acid. Recent scientific research has proved that succinic acid has a very positive influence on the human body. It improves immunity and the balance of acids when absorbed into the bloodstream; it stimulates the thyroid glands to help reduce drooling and soothes red inflamed cheeks. Amber's anti-inflammatory and therapeutic properties are recognized by allopathic medicine as a natural analgesic, which will help to relieve teething pain and calm a baby without resorting to drugs. The skin's warmth releases healing oils from the amber, a resin, which is absorbed into the bloodstream."

As for my personal experience with amber necklaces. Wolverine has one. We use it a lot because he has a real hard time with teething on one side of his mouth. I figure even if it doesn't work, it can't hurt. The one we have is made by a local mama here and each bead is individually strung so if it breaks (which it is designed to do if pressure is put on it for safety) that all the beads won't go flying. Plus she repairs them for free which is cool. Oh and she also told me that a lot of them aren't real baltic amber and it doesn't have the same effect if it is a cheapy fake. I have noticed a significant difference in the amount of drool when he is wearing it. Not sure about pain because he can't really tell me , you know?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:54 pm 
***LIES!!!***

[quote="tank"]copied from a company that sells amber necklaces "The warmth from the skin releases the active ingredient in the Baltic amber, succinic acid. Recent scientific research has proved that succinic acid has a very positive influence on the human body. It improves immunity and the balance of acids when absorbed into the bloodstream; it stimulates the thyroid glands to help reduce drooling and soothes red inflamed cheeks. Amber's anti-inflammatory and therapeutic properties are recognized by allopathic medicine as a natural analgesic, which will help to relieve teething pain and calm a baby without resorting to drugs. The skin's warmth releases healing oils from the amber, a resin, which is absorbed into the bloodstream."

This does not make seem all that believable to me, but more importantly - if you're absorbing a compound into the bloodstream which causes an effect on the body that is by definition a drug.

annak, that annoys me, too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:00 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Ariann wrote:
This does not make seem all that believable to me, but more importantly - if you're absorbing a compound into the bloodstream which causes an effect on the body that is by definition a drug.

Exactly. I mean, if it really does stimulate the thyroid gland, why couldn't that do any harm? I mean, hyperthyroidism is generally regarded as a bad thing, right?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:33 am 
Bathes in Braggs

both of my kids wear the amber necklaces, they have both gone through teething fairly nicely and they look cute.

for me, i didn't see the fuss about getting all the baby stuff, so much of it is stuff we are told we need by companies looking to make a profit. you definitely need diapers and clothes. all those basics. but then, it can all be as simple or as fancy as you are comfortable with. i like simple, so we change on the floor, co sleep, we breastfeed. you don't need much stuff for that. but i have to say, get a woven wrap!!! bite the bullet, learn how to use one, because seriously, i cannot believe how wonderful wrapping is for my baby <3