| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12791 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 512  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:15 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Limone wrote:
Well, to be fair, many indie coffee shops just put a carafe of soy milk right out on the mixing station with the other dairy crepe. Starbucks is THE MAN.

Yeah, that's what it's like in nearly every indie cafe I've been to as well.

Wegmen's does this too!
Also, most of the coffee joints on my campus do this too, which I love :-D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:30 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

My pet peeve of the past forever: Why is it that it's impossible to find vegetarian kimchi in bulk size? If I go to a Korean grocery store, they have these giant bags of the stuff (like $10-$15 ish for a gallon) but all of them contain fish juice. You can find veggie kimchi at some stores in jars, but it's like $5-$10 for 1 lb. What gives? Yes, I know I could make it at home, but that's a giant pain in the asparagus when you live in a studio apartment with no real kitchen. If anyone knows where to get giant bags of vegetarian kimchi in NYC for cheap then please do let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:09 pm 
WRETCHED

Limone wrote:
My pet peeve of the past forever: Why is it that it's impossible to find vegetarian kimchi in bulk size? If I go to a Korean grocery store, they have these giant bags of the stuff (like $10-$15 ish for a gallon) but all of them contain fish juice. You can find veggie kimchi at some stores in jars, but it's like $5-$10 for 1 lb. What gives? Yes, I know I could make it at home, but that's a giant pain in the asparagus when you live in a studio apartment with no real kitchen. If anyone knows where to get giant bags of vegetarian kimchi in NYC for cheap then please do let me know.

My husband gave up. He went to the korean market looking for kimchi like products and found stuff that didn't say they had fish or seaweed in them. He brought them home, I took one bite and said they had fish in them. He tried because he knows I love spicy pickled foods but I told him it was ok. I should just make my own.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:33 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I have not really shared this with many people because I thought I would come off as rude, but a year later I look back and think that I was not rude at all...

So the boyfriend and I were on a bus in SF - it was packed, we sat up front and a few stops later it became even more packed and people were now standing up. A couple bookended us - no prob. Then they started pulling out drinks and passing it over our laps...Then the women pulled out a big gross meat/cheese sandwich and passed it right in front of us...I was getting car sick not to mention anxiety about it being so crowded...I just said to the guy "hey, I am vegan, if you start eating that sandwich and I smell it I will probably throw up..."...He then was like complaining about me to his lady and friends and I heard stuff like "ohhh I loveeeee meat" and other dumb crepe, we just got off the bus and now we have taken a taxi whenever we go to SF...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:42 pm 
ugh

ndpittman wrote:
lepelaar wrote:
b.vicious wrote:
Seaweed salad with jellyfish. I didn't realize how common this was until recently so I've probably been eating jellyfish every now and again without realizing. Ugh.

What? Seriously?

Yes, I, too, would like more info?

Also, icky!

I might have been exaggerating. But there's a store nearby that gets sushi delivered daily, and I'm pretty sure I've seen that same delivered sushi at other area grocery stores. I almost bought seaweed salad there, but I saw the ingredients included jellyfish. It may not be common but now I am scarred for life.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:54 pm 
WELFARIST!

missmuffcake wrote:
Thinking you found a vegan product to only find out the version you see is not vegan!

I was at CostPlus - saw Jammy Dodgers - got really happy only to find out they were not the vegan ones. I want Jammy Dodgers!!!!

This all of the damn time! I keep seeing Jammy Dodgers everywhere but none of them have ever been vegan.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:22 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Limone wrote:

I have a Korean market here that I frequent. I spoke to the owner about this and he said it would be no problem... However, his mother in law (the one who makes the kimchi) said that she has tried to make it before without the shrimp paste or whatever the fish is, and that it never tastes right so she is not willing to put her name on it and sell it. I can respect that, ill just have to make my own.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:02 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Not really a peeve but I'm meeting an old friend (ages since I saw her- pregan even!) who is vegetarian and very very earnest. I *really* don't want to have a conversation about veganism with her! I'm actively planning our meet up so that it need never come up! So I'm going to pretend to be omni ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:27 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Cgvegan wrote:
Not really a peeve but I'm meeting an old friend (ages since I saw her- pregan even!) who is vegetarian and very very earnest. I *really* don't want to have a conversation about veganism with her! I'm actively planning our meet up so that it need never come up! So I'm going to pretend to be omni ;)

Last time this happened to me with a very old friend we did end up having a conversation about veganism and the vegetarian friend went home, thought about it and became vegan 1 month later, and is now still vegan (and an amazingly good friend) 2 years later.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:25 am 
Not NOT A Furry

The problem is we'll be meeting with our kids in tow and she'll be trying to have a searching philosophical discussion while I try to negotiate toys etc!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:05 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Efcliz wrote:
Last time this happened to me with a very old friend we did end up having a conversation about veganism and the vegetarian friend went home, thought about it and became vegan 1 month later, and is now still vegan (and an amazingly good friend) 2 years later.

That's awesome!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:51 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Cgvegan wrote:
The problem is we'll be meeting with our kids in tow and she'll be trying to have a searching philosophical discussion while I try to negotiate toys etc!

I think you may be over thinking this too much...You are just assuming what will happen. I have learned to try to just go with the flow...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:49 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

OH MY GAWD HOW COULD I HAVE FORGOTTEN THE ULTIMATE PEEVAROONI

Today someone called me a "vaygun" for the first time in YEARS.... Vaygun, like from Vega. Or maybe Vegas.
My daughter was giving me the stink eye and trying hard not to laugh. Vaygun indeed. (my mom calls me a vaygun, and i haven't thought of it in ages)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:52 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Yes! A woman at work says this (the one who is always saying things) and I say it back as veegun, but it doesn't seem to register. I'm not surprised.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:06 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

when people call me a vaygun, i start singing "marlene on the wall" really loud, and that usually makes everything better.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:06 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I was called a vaygun today and I winced.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:40 pm 
Inflexitarian

I have never been called a vaygun. If I was I think I'd try to imagine they were calling me a raygun, which would be kind of cool actually.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:50 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My dad seriously cannot get it right. He seems to alternate between "vaygun" and "ve(soft g)an". I've corrected him a few times, but I don't think he's ever once pronounced it the right way. Other than that, I've only ever had one other person say "vaygun", but as English was not his first language, I let it slide.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:54 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

My boss calls me Vaygun.... Im pretty sure he does it just to try and bother me though lol...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:45 am 
Flounceiad 2011

torque wrote:
Today someone called me a "vaygun" for the first time in YEARS.... Vaygun, like from Vega. Or maybe Vegas
Jon Stewart said "vaygun" on The Daily Show just the other night. I was like, "You live in NYC - and you're Jon Frigging' Stewart - and you don't know how to say 'vegan'? what the fizzle?" (I actually felt a similar level of disappointment to what I experienced when he got all Jingoistic Gloaty McGloaterson about Osama Bin Laden being killed. It's just kind of sad when people aren't as bright as you'd like them to be.)

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:05 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I find it pretty annoying when people judge vegan food when they haven't even eaten it yet. Or when celebrities treat veganism like a disposable trend and publicly make fun of it. Yes, I get that "nut cheese" sounds pretty disgusting, but how many omnivores laughing at that have actually tried some of the cashew-based cheeses out there?

I'm also kind of annoyed that so many people assume that everything I eat is made of soy.

Also, trying some super healthy gluten-free, sugar-free, fat-free cookie may not necessarily be the best example of what vegan baking has to offer in general.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:05 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

"You used to love bacon remember??"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:28 am 
WELFARIST!

I've never once had anyone assume I had tofu in all of my food but would hear stories from vegans about it. Well, I finally had it happen to me. I was visiting someone recently and his mother kept asking if I had tofu in all of my food. Fortunately, she was really interested and actually wanted to try all of the food which was pretty cool. Apparently thinking that tofu was in everything didn't turn her off, haha.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:40 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Confession: I think I pronounced it "vay-gun" at first. But that was like ten years ago! And I'd never heard it out loud!

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:41 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Is it wrong that I'm sick of food stories that start with "I know you're a vegan, but..."? Seriously. Just tell me the damn story without the preface or don't do it at all. That's like if they said, "I know you're black, but..." It is never a good way to start anything. It makes me all nervous-annoyed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12791 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 512  Next