| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Los Angeles
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:44 pm 
Inflexitarian

quarrygirl wrote:
SweetT wrote:
I'm going to be in LA May 20 - 24. If any locals want to do a meetup let me know! C'mon LA!

you picked a good time to come to town, right before the 2 best restaurants (madeleine bistro and pure luck) close! i say hit up pure luck for lunch on saturday, and get a madeleine bistro reservation for sunday brunch. be sure to book with madeleine, they will probably be a bit crowded.

good to know! i thought i missed out on madeleine.
i'm making a reservation now.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:07 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Hey PPK Angelenos! Has anyone been to Seed Bistro? I'll be in town visiting my mom before the end of the month and am thinking that I might try their Christmas menu if timing works out.

Any other new-ish places?

I saw that Amanda's Bakery was moving from their market location to supply baked goods to Follow Your Heart.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:41 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Seed is amazing. I cannot wait to go back. Highly recommended.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:38 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Mmm. Thank you. I'm so glad to hear that there's a high-end vegan place over the hill. Madeleine Bistro is amazing and will always have a firm grip on my heart, but they've been transitioning out of business for so long now that I always think every meal I have there will be the last.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:47 pm 

I really enjoyed it. I got something fairly ordinary like arugula pesto with gluten-free pasta because I was starving. It was really hard to decide, so much looked so good. They have a burger that gets excellent reviews and I'm a gal who loves a burger. So, next time.

My friend got a couple of dishes that looked awesome. Mr. Sz had pumpkin pie for desert and said it was the best he's ever had. He got an amazing appetizer, too, but I can't remember what it was.

The menu on the website was different from what was actually there.

Oh! There is a small parking lot in the back. You have to go through another parking lot to get there, it's kind of confusing. There's neighborhood parking nearby as well but we went on the night of that huge windstorm and it would have been nice to park closer, but we couldn't figure it out in time and were stressed from the traffic that we didn't yet realize was a result of so many traffic lights being knocked out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:09 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

You guys, I had no idea Cafe Gratitude was in LA now, too! I'm visiting a friend and just went tonight. SO good. Corny names but seriously delicious eats. It's on Larchmont, so check it out if you haven't already.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:37 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks for directing me here! I started a Los Angeles thread not realizing that one already existed. Some of my favorite LA eateries have already been named: Real Food Daily, Veggie Grill, Bulan Vegetarian Thai. I'm also very fond of Tara's Himalayan Cuisine in Culver City (Nepalese/Tibetan food), which although omni, has some vegan options (my favorite being the garlic tofu and the green beans), and Annapurna Cuisine, a vegetarian South Indian place also in Culver City.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:47 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Oh Man, Tara's Himilayan is awesome! One of my favorite things to eat in Los Angeles is the Veggie Plate at Cafe Brazil (omni) on Washington Blvd in Culver City. It is seriously amazing...like...oh my god.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:13 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I don't think I've been to Cafe Brazil. I'll have to check that out.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:26 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

A quick little heads up -- Mendocino Farms has expanded and now has locations at the Target complex in West Hollywood and across from the Grover/Farmers Market in mid-city (in addition to the two locations downtown). And they've expanded their vegan offerings! They currently have a vegan bahn mi, a vegan club (my favorite), a vegan shwarma wrap (make sure to ask for the vegan tortilla!) and a vegan BBQ torta sandwich. YUM.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:29 am 

Oh, and another little gem is Bawarchi Indian Kitchen on Venice Blvd. (in Culver City). It's all vegetarian, and when I was there about 75% of the offerings were vegan. They have really great stuff like lotus root and jackfruit.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:30 am 

alice1drland wrote:
You guys, I had no idea Cafe Gratitude was in LA now, too! I'm visiting a friend and just went tonight. SO good. Corny names but seriously delicious eats. It's on Larchmont, so check it out if you haven't already.

Agreed -- it's really good (and kind of cult-y). Sometimes I get annoyed at the prices, though. Some of the really basic bowls seem so expensive!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:08 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

It is totally cult-y but I'm willing to shrug it off in order to eat perfectly cooked veggies and rice with ridiculously delicious homemade kombucha.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:50 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

~Sz wrote:
I love MCafe but I just read that the Culver City location closed? I am beyond sad if this is true.

Almost two years later, I still miss that M. Cafe. Native Foods is nice, but I adore M. Cafe. Thank goodness the Melrose location is still around -- I get there once in a rare while, but it isn't as convenient for me. There's also a location in Beverley Hills that I like less.

Also, in the same nostalgic vein, does anyone remember Cafe Flourish, which used to be located on Wilshire? They had the most amazing pizzas, including one deep dish with vegan sausage that was so good. They had excellent vegan BLTs with avocado, too. Oh, I miss them so much!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:58 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Mmmm, has anyone been to Sage Bistro lately, on Sunset in Echo Park? Every time I go there I say that I could eat every single meal there. In my opinion their lunch menu is the best. Check it out if you haven't been. Seriously good stuff. I want to give some suggestions, but I can only think of one thing I've had that's not superdelicious, and that's the heart of palm salad. Everything else I've had has been killer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:36 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Never been to Sage -- will have to go sometime.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:37 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I went to Madeleine Bistro last night! The food was superb, as usual over there (I only go on very special occasions, because it's also pricey). I found out though that the owners will be opening a gelato/panini shop (called Maddie's) on Pico, near the Westside Pavilion. The are hoping to have it open around Labor Day weekend. I can't wait to see what magical treats they'll conjure in the new place!

In the course of that conversation I also found out from some other customers at Madeleine's that Scoops has opened a second ice cream parlor on Overland and Palms. If you haven't been there, they have the most amazing flavors, four of which are vegan.

So, two new reasons for vegan ice cream lovers in Los Angeles to rejoice!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:46 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I forgot to say this earlier but Maddie's (the gelato/panini shop) will be completely vegan.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:09 pm 

Cafe Gratitude, Venice: Had the most awesome veg burger on the planet. Also, the I am Fulfilled salad is best ever.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:37 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Hey LA vegans! I am going to be staying in Venice next week, but my friends will be busy much of the time so I'm going to be doing a lot of exploring on my own. What are some good restaurants to go to solo? Also, what should I try to do other than hang by the beach while they're at work? I've been to LA a few times and done most of the touristy stuff.

I will have access to a car, and am not opposed to driving out of the city a bit.

Also, now pretty excited about Cafe Gratitude per above. Yum!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:46 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I like Samosa House on Washington in Culver City. It's veggie with lots of vegan options.
The Getty is always pretty to do (herb ritts photo exhibit going on right now). $15 for parking but free to get in the museum. You can easily be
there all day. Bring a bag lunch to eat in the garden. Or treat yourself to Native Foods in Westwood afterwards (not far from the Getty).
Go to Will Rogers State Park and hike. Peaceful/pretty grounds. Parking cost there too....I want to say 10 dollars. But there are buses that go on Sunset or you can try and park down the hill from Will Rogers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:46 pm 

erin32mc wrote:
I like Samosa House on Washington in Culver City. It's veggie with lots of vegan options.
The Getty is always pretty to do (herb ritts photo exhibit going on right now). $15 for parking but free to get in the museum. You can easily be
there all day. Bring a bag lunch to eat in the garden. Or treat yourself to Native Foods in Westwood afterwards (not far from the Getty).
Go to Will Rogers State Park and hike. Peaceful/pretty grounds. Parking cost there too....I want to say 10 dollars. But there are buses that go on Sunset or you can try and park down the hill from Will Rogers.

Thank you! I have been to the Getty but would go back for Herb Ritts. I am definitely into hiking - is it safe to go alone during the day?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:01 am 

Hey guys! My fiance and I are in LA for two days. How do you guys stay thin with all of the awesome options here? Visited Real Food Daily and Veggie Grill today. WOW. Just wow.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:09 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

KoalaT wrote:
Hey guys! My fiance and I are in LA for two days. How do you guys stay thin with all of the awesome options here? Visited Real Food Daily and Veggie Grill today. WOW. Just wow.

Lots of trips to the gym ;)

Anyone have an update on Maddie's? I googled it and didn't see anything, that would be very close to where I live, so I'm hoping it's not just a rumor!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:51 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

The Cafe Gratitude veggie burger is very good but their Eggplant "Parmesan" is even better.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next