| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Mama of Identical Twin Preemie Girls
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:45 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Hey everyone! I'm new here and posted an introduction thread yesterday in the Lobby section, I think it's called? Anywho! Some nice members suggested I come here and try to make nice with the other vegan moms.

My name is Britany. I am a new mom of identical twin preemie girls, Edna and Theresa. Today was supposed to be my due date but the girls' were born on June 25th. Not to worry though! They are doing really good right now. They have their ups and downs of course but they are very happy babies. They haven't come home just yet, but will be very soon.

Of course I plan to raise them as vegans and would like to meet some other vegan mothers, either from my area (Philly) or just to have some online friends to talk and relate and share stories with. It would also be nice for the girls to eventually meet some vegan friends. =]

This seems like a very tight-knit forum and I didn't just want to jump in out of nowhere and start babbling about my kids and have you be all like "who this crazy bish?" So yeah. Here I am. =]

Any tips for new moms would be cool. Even better if any of you have tips for preemies or for twins.

THANKS <3333

Post subject: Re: New Mama of Identical Twin Preemie Girls
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:08 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Hiya and congrats!!
i had twin girls and we spent a lot of time in the NICU (one kid was released immediately but the other was in for months). It's tough but you will get through it and you'll be a stronger mom for it. Take care of yourself while you still can!

Hop in and start babbling about your kids, we do want to hear about them!!! And I love their names.

and the only tip for raising twins is take every offer of help that anyone gives you. don't be shy, just do it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:33 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

torque wrote:
Hiya and congrats!!
i had twin girls and we spent a lot of time in the NICU (one kid was released immediately but the other was in for months). It's tough but you will get through it and you'll be a stronger mom for it. Take care of yourself while you still can!

Hop in and start babbling about your kids, we do want to hear about them!!! And I love their names.

and the only tip for raising twins is take every offer of help that anyone gives you. don't be shy, just do it.

Oh, wow. That must have been rough taking one home and having to leave the other. I know that I will probably have to do this myself but they may not be seperated for months long.

Question, is there a thread for twins or preemies?

You do like the names? Thank you! Some old lady that was visiting another baby was snooping around by Edna's incubator a while back and didn't realize I was like, behind it holding her and she was like "*scoff* Edna, really?". Really, lady? You're about 70 and making fun of a kid who isn't even supposed to be born yet's name. I really wanted to knock her out but I didn't want to be removed from the NICU. lol. ANYWHO!

Thank you for your kind words Torque, I will keep that advice in mind. I hope that your little ones are doing well! <3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:04 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

edna is going to be one of the cool kids. there are way too many kaylas and mckaylas these days. it'll be like the heathers and jennifers of the 80's people are naming their kids "unique" names only to be followed by other "unique" parents naming their kids the same exact things.

(it's funny. when i was a teen, i thought i was going to eventually be a mom, so i was thinking of names, and i really liked michaela. i had never heard of it before. when i saw it in a magazine, and then in lorenzo's oil i glommed on to it because of it's uniqueness. not 5 years later i started seeing kayla everywhere and chuckled to myself. then i realised pearl would be better and more unique. now i don't have to think of any names, unless it's for children of the 4-legged variety.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:50 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

welcome! Great group of supportive parents here. Seriously, talk about your kids all you want, we love to hear about everyone!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:53 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm not from Philly, but welcome and please do babble about your girls! :-)

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:05 pm 
Semen Strong

First, kudos to you for all you've been through - NICU since June - yowzers! You are an awesome strong Mama and Edna and Theresa are so lucky to have you. I am looking forward to seeing pictures because - babies! identical twins! girls! cute vegans!!!! On a more serious note, I have loved all the support I've gotten here from wonderful people, and the space to vent when things were hard, and I hope we can provide that to you is you ever need it <3 It may feel like a tight-knit group, but it is also a very welcoming and accepting one.

I'm in NJ (hi!!!!), and we have awesome Philly PPKers, if you're interested (viewforum.php?f=43).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:58 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I think Edna and Theresa are great names, I love old fashioned names!! (My daughter is Violet, 14 mo) Welcome!! We have Cinder Edna and it's a great book about an Edna, btw.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:19 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Sorry for the late response, things are very chaotic around here. Right around the time I posted this I decided to take in this stray kitty who I call Kesha. She was pregnant and just had kittens two nights ago! Five of them, and they're so gorgeous and tiny. =] Been searching around for a good home for the family. I really don't want to see them seperated. I'm also trying to find a home for their dad Kaleb. It's a mess but they're happy and healthy.

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone. =]

The girls are doing great. Both over 7 pounds now! Lately I have been wondering what to do for them for Halloween since they will probably still be in the NICU. Luckily there will be some kind of gathering for the parents. I did buy them Halloween outfits and plan on making pumpkin cupcakes with spider webs on them. I've never done this sort of design and the recipe calls for decorating gel. Some have gelatin in them, does anyone know of a brand without? Also, any ideas for unique things I could do for the girls on Halloween, I'm all ears.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:25 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

annak wrote:
I think Edna and Theresa are great names, I love old fashioned names!! (My daughter is Violet, 14 mo) Welcome!! We have Cinder Edna and it's a great book about an Edna, btw.

Violet is such a pretty name and also my favorite color, so win. =]

This book looks so adorable, it's already in my cart hehe. I'm so glad there is a book with an Edna in it. I've been looking for things like that for them. Now I need a book with a Theresa.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:35 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

supercarrot wrote:
edna is going to be one of the cool kids. there are way too many kaylas and mckaylas these days. it'll be like the heathers and jennifers of the 80's people are naming their kids "unique" names only to be followed by other "unique" parents naming their kids the same exact things.

(it's funny. when i was a teen, i thought i was going to eventually be a mom, so i was thinking of names, and i really liked michaela. i had never heard of it before. when i saw it in a magazine, and then in lorenzo's oil i glommed on to it because of it's uniqueness. not 5 years later i started seeing kayla everywhere and chuckled to myself. then i realised pearl would be better and more unique. now i don't have to think of any names, unless it's for children of the 4-legged variety.)

GAH! I know exactly what you mean. My dad named me Britany and he always says "It was so unique then, no one was named Britany". Yet there are thousands of Britany's Britanni's, Britney's, and Brittany's out there that are my age lol. Another popular name right now is Adalynn, I do like it though. If I didn't have sentimental names for my girls picked out, they would have been Faith and Buffy because I'm a dork lol. Guess I'll just have to make more twin girls. XD

So you have a daughter named Pearl? That's super cute. =]

Yay for oldies names!

Oh I know! I can't wait to name all five of Kesha's kitties. Hehe. <3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:48 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Tofulish wrote:
First, kudos to you for all you've been through - NICU since June - yowzers! You are an awesome strong Mama and Edna and Theresa are so lucky to have you. I am looking forward to seeing pictures because - babies! identical twins! girls! cute vegans!!!! On a more serious note, I have loved all the support I've gotten here from wonderful people, and the space to vent when things were hard, and I hope we can provide that to you is you ever need it <3 It may feel like a tight-knit group, but it is also a very welcoming and accepting one.

I'm in NJ (hi!!!!), and we have awesome Philly PPKers, if you're interested (viewforum.php?f=43).

I'll definitely check out the Philly forum, thanks. Where in NJ are you from? My partner Richard is from NJ and we travel there often to see the girls' Grandparents. They're from Hamilton, NJ.

Thank you, it has been rough. I'm okay though, it's those two who are the strong ones =] I'll definitely be posting pictures of them very soon. As soon as I know where to lol.

I can see how welcoming you ae now. I'll need all of the support I can get, so awesome! :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:46 am 
Semen Strong

Oh hurrah for the girls being up to 7lbs! Yay Edna and Theresa and Mama! I hope you get to leave the NICU soon and go home! I'm in Clifton (Northern NJ). Hamilton Twnship is near Trenton, so not superclose, but there are definitely PPKers in the area there too.

If you are in South Jersey, I can recommend this group. One of the moms has 2 sets of twins, so she and her partner are going to have tons of practical advice to share. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NJ_Vegan_Families/

I will say that I have found the local crunchy moms groups really helpful, and they all have FB and Meet-up pages for questions. They're not vegans, but they avoid non-organic and other problematic ingredients and it is an opportunity for me to take my daughter Leela (almost 1) to play groups with nice moms. Plus they are so hooked up in terms of knowing where to go to find things you might need and helping you out. I belong to an Attachment Parenting group and have weekly playdates through there and a Babywearing Group that I've started to go hiking with. There may even be groups for Moms of Multiples who can help you figure stuff out.

For the Halloween decorating frosting ideas, definitely post in the Kitchen. Someone will know! Just not me :) Leela and I are going to be a free-range chicken and a butcher respectively :) We're going to a local parade and the party hosted by a local mom, which should be fun :) I'm taking snacks for her - probably just oatmeal raisin fruit sweetened cookies :) I hope you have a fun gathering for your first Halloween together!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:12 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

MentalFiction7x wrote:

Yay for oldies names!

oh, nono! i switched my preference to pearl before i knew i had an option to remain childfree. (hi-larious hijinks) i grew up in a big irish catholic family, so it was kinda drilled in to me. and then i grew up and became the black sheep. heh. no, the mr. is getting the sniparoo, so unless we adopt, no human kiddos for us. feel free to swipe pearl if you like for any future pips. i lay no claim to it. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:18 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

supercarrot wrote:
MentalFiction7x wrote:

Yay for oldies names!

oh, nono! i switched my preference to pearl before i knew i had an option to remain childfree. (hi-larious hijinks) i grew up in a big irish catholic family, so it was kinda drilled in to me. and then i grew up and became the black sheep. heh. no, the mr. is getting the sniparoo, so unless we adopt, no human kiddos for us. feel free to swipe pearl if you like for any future pips. i lay no claim to it. :-)

Aww, I can have Pearl? What a sweetheart you are. =]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:35 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Tofulish wrote:
Oh hurrah for the girls being up to 7lbs! Yay Edna and Theresa and Mama! I hope you get to leave the NICU soon and go home! I'm in Clifton (Northern NJ). Hamilton Twnship is near Trenton, so not superclose, but there are definitely PPKers in the area there too.

If you are in South Jersey, I can recommend this group. One of the moms has 2 sets of twins, so she and her partner are going to have tons of practical advice to share. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NJ_Vegan_Families/

I will say that I have found the local crunchy moms groups really helpful, and they all have FB and Meet-up pages for questions. They're not vegans, but they avoid non-organic and other problematic ingredients and it is an opportunity for me to take my daughter Leela (almost 1) to play groups with nice moms. Plus they are so hooked up in terms of knowing where to go to find things you might need and helping you out. I belong to an Attachment Parenting group and have weekly playdates through there and a Babywearing Group that I've started to go hiking with. There may even be groups for Moms of Multiples who can help you figure stuff out.

For the Halloween decorating frosting ideas, definitely post in the Kitchen. Someone will know! Just not me :) Leela and I are going to be a free-range chicken and a butcher respectively :) We're going to a local parade and the party hosted by a local mom, which should be fun :) I'm taking snacks for her - probably just oatmeal raisin fruit sweetened cookies :) I hope you have a fun gathering for your first Halloween together!

Are there vegan Moms in my area though? I will have to post something in the Philly forum. Also make a Yahoo! account so I can join this group.

All this information is really helpful. You sure do belong to a lot of groups, Leela must have a blast with you. =]

The girls' Grandmother was telling me about this thing called "Trunk or Treat" that they do in her neighborhood. People in the neighborhood all gather together with their cars and have candy filled trunks, and the children just go to each car. It's also supposed to only take about half an hour and it will probably be good to avoid all of the people not giving out candy and long hours in the cold with crying babies haha. It's supposed to be a safer option than knocking on some strangers doors too. I was really hoping to get to do that but I will have to wait until next year. I have also been reading the recent halloween posts about the "Switch Witch" and hope to start doing this next year as well. Everyone has really awesome ideas for Halloween.

I really hope you and Leela have a good Halloween too. Be sure to post pics. =]