| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Halloween candy to give out?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We lived in a pretty urban neighborhood the past couple years and got some trick-or-treaters, but most of them went to the nicer neighborhood a couple blocks away. I have no idea what to even expect here. There are definitely some kids around.

I wish there was a cheap vegan chocolate. I'd rather have leftover candybars and chocolates than sugary hard candy and gummies. wah wah.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:36 pm 
Saggy Butt

When we handed out snack-size bags of chips two years ago, the kids went nuts over them. And you can usually get big packs of plain Lays at costco or the grocery store for decently cheap.

starrynight87 wrote:
Raisins?

So, last year we ran out of candy right at the end of the night, and I grabbed a box of single-serve packs of Craisins that we had kicking around to hand out to any stragglers. The last kid we gave them to looked in his bag, then looked up in disgust and asked “what’s that?”

My husband said “candy” and quickly shut the door before he could ask any more questions.

Related – I am not allowed to purchase our Halloween treats this year because apparently I'm not good at estimating how much we need.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:41 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

kittee wrote:
I wish I could pass out homemade stuff, but it'd probably just get tossed.

This, 100times over. I'm excited because I guess people bring their kids into work for Halloween at my new job and take them desk to desk trick-or-treating. Going to make so many homemade goodies!!

Like others in this thread I go for the Endangered Species Dark Chocolate (http://chocolatebar.com/categories.php? ... -Halloween) and the Yummy Earth Lollipops (http://www.iherb.com/Yummy-Earth-Organi ... ode=pib512). It's hard because they're more expensive than other candies, but I really only want to give out the kind of stuff I'd eat myself.

But if anyone has any other natural sweet options, that would be awesome!

Of Capsicums & Things."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:18 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

we've lived here for 8 years, and we usually wouldn't get too many trick or treaters, but i would still get extra candy just in case. last year, we got a deluge, so it was good that i had the extra.
(we live on the edge of camden, so i suppose they crossed town lines tor the treatin' it's okay. it's much safer here than to go knocking on doors in camden.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Last year we did Twizzlers, but I think I'm going Peanut Chews this year. I want to be able to eat some of the candy too! And sadly Twizzlers aren't gluten free. Now I just have to find somewhere that has Fun Size Peanut Chews. So far the closest Acme to me didn't have them. Think I'm gonna have to check Walmart or something, hopefully I can find them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:46 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

i give out toys and glow sticks. you can get a container of 15 glowstick bracelets at dollar tree. i also picked up some skull and bones sweet tart-type candies there too. each year after halloween i buy all of the plastic toys at drugstores and michael's for like 90% off and tell the kids to take a whole handful of stuff. right now i have vampire teeth, spider rings, googly eye rings, halloween pencils, glow bracelets and the bone candies. i think i have some glow rats and spiders somewhere too.

aren't the owners of sweet tarts vegan or something? mini oreo bags have been a hit in the past too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:53 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

jacblades wrote:
i give out toys and glow sticks. you can get a container of 15 glowstick bracelets at dollar tree. i also picked up some skull and bones sweet tart-type candies there too. each year after halloween i buy all of the plastic toys at drugstores and michael's for like 90% off and tell the kids to take a whole handful of stuff. right now i have vampire teeth, spider rings, googly eye rings, halloween pencils, glow bracelets and the bone candies. i think i have some glow rats and spiders somewhere too.

aren't the owners of sweet tarts vegan or something? mini oreo bags have been a hit in the past too.

Man, I can just see my younger self being super excited about glowsticks. I think that's an awesome idea.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:58 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm thinking it's going to be crisps all round. I wish skittles were vegan over here because they would make a brilliant treat.
I was going to go buy different bags of sweets that are vegan and make up mixed bags of them but that seems like an awful lot of effort. So hula hoops and walkers crisps it is.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

daisychain wrote:
I'm thinking it's going to be crisps all round. I wish skittles were vegan over here because they would make a brilliant treat.
I was going to go buy different bags of sweets that are vegan and make up mixed bags of them but that seems like an awful lot of effort. So hula hoops and walkers crisps it is.

Aren't Starburst fruit chews vegan there? I used to love getting those in my trick-or-treat bag.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:38 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I usually buy twizzlers or swedish fish, but I really love the glow stick idea!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:25 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Oh, I love the mini bags of Oreos and glow sticks ideas! Both are likely to be something different that they aren't getting at every other house, and both would have totally excited me when I was a kid!
Hmm, now that I'm thinking about non-food items: has anyone tried giving out stickers or temporary tattoos?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:10 am 

and glow sticks are a safety thing in case your town extends trick or treating into the evening. (my town tends to retreat once it gets dark.) when i was employed, i would miss a lot of the kids, because they would start going around at 4:00.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:41 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

This was in the PETA e-news letter today, and it made me think of this thread!

http://www.petakids.com/candy.asp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:28 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

This thread is so getting bookmarked. I was really stressing about what to give out to trick or treaters. All of your ideas are great. I especially like the stickers and glowsticks ideas.

Annnd I had no idea that Skittles were vegan?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:15 am 

MentalFiction7x wrote:
Annnd I had no idea that Skittles were vegan?

yeah, they switched out the gelatin in the last year or so.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:26 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
Just be the crasshole who gives out apples

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:28 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
theres always chick o sticks

http://www.candyfavorites.com/chick-o-s ... QgodHQ0AMA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:34 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

lilyyw wrote:
daisychain wrote:

Aren't Starburst fruit chews vegan there? I used to love getting those in my trick-or-treat bag.

Yes they are. I spotted a share sized bags on deal in a shop and was thinking of handing out fistfuls of them but I am so addicted to them that I might turn all the house lights off, pretend I'm not home and eat them all myself.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:15 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm handing out Biscoff cookies. Snack-sized packages of them just showed up at a local discount store for way cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:27 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I found multipacks of starburst cheap in Aldi. 3 packs for 1.49 so I've plenty of them bought. Also got a few multipacks of jelly tots for any young kids that call. I also got Tesco Bacon Rashers and Cheese and Onion Hunky Dories.

I've had to hide them away out of my sight in the spare room or I will go crazy eating the lot.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Why is candy so expensive?!

I wouldn't even buy any, except that I hate hiding downstairs with the lights off while kids knock on the door all night.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:50 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

ndpittman wrote:
This was in the PETA e-news letter today, and it made me think of this thread!

http://www.petakids.com/candy.asp

That lists has some stuff with shellac on it, like Mike & Ike's, so read labels.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:32 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

daisychain wrote:
I found multipacks of starburst cheap in Aldi. 3 packs for 1.49 so I've plenty of them bought. Also got a few multipacks of jelly tots for any young kids that call. I also got Tesco Bacon Rashers and Cheese and Onion Hunky Dories.

I've had to hide them away out of my sight in the spare room or I will go crazy eating the lot.

Aw, and I was pleased to find them at Sainsburys for £1! Good find, daisychain, I wonder if they're on offer at Aldi over here too? I need to go there for their ridiculously cheap hazelnuts anyway...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:10 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

creep wrote:
Why is candy so expensive?!

I wouldn't even buy any, except that I hate hiding downstairs with the lights off while kids knock on the door all night.

I've done that a few times. The first 2 years here there wasn't much kids knocking but as the years have gone on traffic volume has increased each time and I've always managed to run out. I hate having too much sweets because I will end up eating it. But I've found once all the lights are turned off kids don't tend to knock. It's only the really young kids here that do trick or treating so they are supervised by parents so they are probably steered away from houses with lights off.

Dropscone... I was thrilled! Lidl have the share size bags and they are nearly half the price of Tesco so have a look there too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:13 am 

you can always put out a sign that says "sorry, ran out of candy"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next