| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Non-vegans view of vegan food I guess?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:52 pm 
WELFARIST!

FootFace wrote:
...eat more of it

Getting to eat more food??? Sounds terrible!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:54 pm 
Dead by dawn

Are these people just eating salad and then complaining that vegan food isn't filling? I don't get it. I mean, if Scott Jurek and other vegan endurance athletes can stay full, so can you! Unless you just eat salad.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:01 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

monkeytoes wrote:
Are these people just eating salad and then complaining that vegan food isn't filling? I don't get it. I mean, if Scott Jurek and other vegan endurance athletes can stay full, so can you! Unless you just eat salad.

It's a different kind of full, though. Like, I can easily get to satiated on a vegan diet, it's actually quite hard to get to FULL, which I would be at often when I ate animal products. It took me about a month or so of feeling chronically unsatisfied until I came to accept and appreciate that vegan food produces a very different feeling in my body than animal protein does. I never have that heavy feeling I would get after eating a bunch of cheese. Which is nice now, but was hard to break away from.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:09 pm 
Inflexitarian

j-dub wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

It's a different kind of full, though. Like, I can easily get to satiated on a vegan diet, it's actually quite hard to get to FULL, which I would be at often when I ate animal products. It took me about a month or so of feeling chronically unsatisfied until I came to accept and appreciate that vegan food produces a very different feeling in my body than animal protein does. I never have that heavy feeling I would get after eating a bunch of cheese. Which is nice now, but was hard to break away from.

Oh man, this is so not how I experience it. Are you eating really healthy food or something? 'Cause when I eat at ye local vegan junk food spot and have coconut fried macadamia tofu, a tempeh reuben, sweet potato fries, and a root beer float, I am really freaking full. And when I was pregan I was a total "carnivore" (red meat, bread, ketchup, hold all the veggies).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:21 pm 
Dead by dawn

Yeah, not my experience either. I can certainly get FULL. Like sometimes uncomfortably so (you'd think with 40+ years practice eating, I'd have figured out how not to do that, but I haven't!) I'm aware that I eat a lot, but I always have even when I was omni, so I really don't know what the difference would be.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:23 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Yeah I manage to get full too. Really the only difference is now I do it at home vs. some Chinese buffet.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:42 pm 
WELFARIST!

Same here.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:56 pm 
Nailed to the V

monkeytoes wrote:
(you'd think with 40+ years practice eating, I'd have figured out how not to do that, but I haven't!) I'm aware that I eat a lot, but I always have even when I was omni, so I really don't know what the difference would be.

ahah! same!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:02 pm 
Inflexitarian

I almost always leave the local Mexican place really uncomfortably full after drinking a margarita and eating chips, guac, salsa, fajitas with portobellas, squash, and peppers, etc.

Damn, now I want Mexican.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:24 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Well, I do eat a pretty low fat diet normally and a very low fat diet currently, but even if eating something fatty and filling I have never had that full, brick in the stomach feeling I often got with animal foods. But maybe I'm the odd potato out here.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:35 pm 
Inflexitarian

I think someone in another thread mentioned getting the brick feeling from Taco Bell, so you might try that!

For me, at least, that full/stuffed feeling is something that comes from eating a lot of food that's high in fat and simple carbs. So it's not something that's actually good for you.... I get a full/satisfied feeling from eating a smaller amount of food high in protein and fat.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

quark wrote:
For me, at least, that full/stuffed feeling is something that comes from eating a lot of food that's high in fat and simple carbs. So it's not something that's actually good for you.... I get a full/satisfied feeling from eating a smaller amount of food high in protein and fat.

Same here. One delicious oily plate-full from this local Indian restaurant makes me uncomfortably full, where the same volume of lower-fat food wouldn't.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:00 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I think it is usually junk food (high fat/simple carb) that gives you that gut busting full feeling. (exceptions of course like pasta).

And most people equate vegans with super healthy eating. They don't seem to realize that you can completly pig out on vegan junk food. I went to the Loving Hut this weekend and has the Spicy Cha Cha for the first time (faux fried shrimp). Plus rice. Plus more rice. Thought my tummy was gonna burst. Same happens at mexican food places, and sandwich places (sandwich + fries + chilli + more fries). Not exactly healthy.

I have had more than one person say to me along the lines of "oh I could never be vegan, I hate salad". um, ok?

ps...spicy cha cha was amazeballs. If you have a loving hut nearby, try it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:05 pm 
Inflexitarian

I don't hate salad, but I don't love it. I'm vegan just fine, thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:50 pm 
Grandfathered In

monkeytoes wrote:
Yeah, not my experience either. I can certainly get FULL. Like sometimes uncomfortably so (you'd think with 40+ years practice eating, I'd have figured out how not to do that, but I haven't!) I'm aware that I eat a lot, but I always have even when I was omni, so I really don't know what the difference would be.

I usually leave Wayward feeling like I ate about twice what I should have. Very, very full. To bursting.