| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 137  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:27 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

studio wrote:
I have taken a unplanned hiatus from running... Basically, I have been going through some seriously tough times, and I haven't had the heart or physical strength to run. But, today I was feeling pretty good and I was able to manage a 5km run! I was really worried that I had lost significant fitness but it felt doable. I'm excited to fall in love with running again.

This is exactly where i am, and i am all psyched to go running for the first time in almost 2 months tomorrow AM. With my puppeh.

I let my gym membership slip and it was the beginning of the end. I get paid this week and so I will be getting that taken care of ASAP.
Glad to see Mack made it and that Anek is back running again. Hope to have a happy post tomorrow night.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:53 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm back too, I hope. I've been having some injury issues, but I went on my first run in a while tonight. I'm doing the Hal Higdon novice half-marathon program to keep things easy on my hamstrings. I don't have a target race or anything, I just want to get back to running on a regular basis and I love following training programs. There's something satisfying about checking off each box on the plan.

It's good to read everyone's updates! I'm sending healing vibes to inceptisol and Love Child. Congrats to Mack for finishing C25K!

Happy healthy easy running everyone!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:54 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i never posted my happy post! i did have a great run with my dog and didn't even track distance because i didn't want to make myself feel bad at all.
still haven't gotten the gym sorted but am posting here mostly to remind myself that I Mean Business.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:17 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

torque wrote:
studio wrote:
I have taken a unplanned hiatus from running... Basically, I have been going through some seriously tough times, and I haven't had the heart or physical strength to run. But, today I was feeling pretty good and I was able to manage a 5km run! I was really worried that I had lost significant fitness but it felt doable. I'm excited to fall in love with running again.

This is exactly where i am, and i am all psyched to go running for the first time in almost 2 months tomorrow AM. With my puppeh.

I let my gym membership slip and it was the beginning of the end. I get paid this week and so I will be getting that taken care of ASAP.
Glad to see Mack made it and that Anek is back running again. Hope to have a happy post tomorrow night.

I've had some very tough times this year too & running has helped me get through some tough things. It has been hard at times to motivate myself, I know what you mean about not having the heart or the strength studio, but I'm so glad I've kept it up. It's still not a year since I started running & I don't know what I'd do without it now.

I ran for over an hour on the beach today. You guys keep me inspired. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:02 pm 
Inflexitarian

I've been so busy for the last week that I've been being super lazy. But, I also started biking to school so maybe that'll at least prevent me from going backwards until I finish this damned project.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:17 pm 
Saggy Butt

I finished my marathon!!
I even accomplished my goals of 1) not walking (except when drinking) and 2) not feeling like i wish someone would shoot me and put me out of my misery. What's funny is that i was much slower than my last marathon even though i didn't take walk breaks. I had some major knee pain and have been fighting off a cold all week so I think that slowed me down some.
But I'm really happy I finished!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:22 pm 

Well done Inceptisol. May your recovery be swift!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:41 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

So frustrated. Moved here a month ago and while I realize that it'll take some time for my body to acclimate to the altitude, I thought I would have adjusted by now. Running is so difficult, feeling like I'm starting all over again. I can barely run 4 minutes without needing to stop and catch my breath. It's been this way for 2 weeks now, and I've been going to the gym 3-4 times each week. I really want to give up but am hoping i'll eventually acclimate.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:47 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Hi guys! I've recently started running again and had a great 45 minute run today with one of my canine companions. I'm gonna check in here for motivation and to see what the rest of the PPK runners are up to.

This is a pretty long thread...does anyone remember if there are posts here that discuss running playlists? Because I really need some new tunes to run to, and when I went looking for inspiration randomly online, I found some seriously lame music. What are any of you running to these days?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:10 am 
Dead by dawn

I actually think there's a separate thread for workout playlists.

I need to update mine. When I put it together the only requirements were uptempo and recorded before I graduated hs (so 80s mostly.) I think I'm going to put together a new list of songs at 90bpm. I'm notgoing to purposely try to change my cadence to 180, but having songs at the right pace might just improve my foot turnover. We'll see... I need some new stimulation regardless.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:02 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

So forgive me if I missed good advice earlier in the thread, but I have some new runner questions.

I've never been much of a runner - have done a bit in the past for fitness, but typically prefer other forms of exercise. I decided to start running because I can get a good workout in a shorter amount of time than on my bike (which I ride for transport and fun) and most of the rides that would provide a good, tough workout terrify me (steep mountain highways). Plus, it's cheap - don't need special equipment or a gym membership.

Anyhow, I'm not super sure about the distances/pace I should run. On one hand, I have pretty decent cardio vascular fitness. I feel like I could jog at an admittedly plodding gate for a long, long time and I could run at a faster - but rediculously slow by a real runner's standards - for a shorter amount if time, but recover quickly. My muscles are fairly strong from cycling and generally being active. On the other hand, I am definitely pudgy and realize that could be hard on my joints. Also, I suspect I don't have the most awesome form.
Looking at the c25k, it seems like the first three weeks or so aren't quite enough - I've already been jogging longer distances. But I do want to avoid injury AND make running"stick" as a workout. Where would you start? Also, do you have suggestions about form/resources for learning how to run better?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:56 pm 

Tenacious LD wrote:
Hi guys! I've recently started running again and had a great 45 minute run today with one of my canine companions. I'm gonna check in here for motivation and to see what the rest of the PPK runners are up to.

This is a pretty long thread...does anyone remember if there are posts here that discuss running playlists? Because I really need some new tunes to run to, and when I went looking for inspiration randomly online, I found some seriously lame music. What are any of you running to these days?

This thread might help.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1695&p=335900&hilit=what+are+you+listening+to#p335900

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:59 pm 

ScooterDiva wrote:
So frustrated. Moved here a month ago and while I realize that it'll take some time for my body to acclimate to the altitude, I thought I would have adjusted by now. Running is so difficult, feeling like I'm starting all over again. I can barely run 4 minutes without needing to stop and catch my breath. It's been this way for 2 weeks now, and I've been going to the gym 3-4 times each week. I really want to give up but am hoping i'll eventually acclimate.

I've read quite a lot about the benefits of running & walking as a fitness strategy for running. It is suppose to be as beneficial as persevering with running all the time. Don't give up SD. You can only improve if you get out there! You can do it & the benefits will be SO worthwhile.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:08 pm 

Olives wrote:
So forgive me if I missed good advice earlier in the thread, but I have some new runner questions.

I've never been much of a runner - have done a bit in the past for fitness, but typically prefer other forms of exercise. I decided to start running because I can get a good workout in a shorter amount of time than on my bike (which I ride for transport and fun) and most of the rides that would provide a good, tough workout terrify me (steep mountain highways). Plus, it's cheap - don't need special equipment or a gym membership.

Anyhow, I'm not super sure about the distances/pace I should run. On one hand, I have pretty decent cardio vascular fitness. I feel like I could jog at an admittedly plodding gate for a long, long time and I could run at a faster - but rediculously slow by a real runner's standards - for a shorter amount if time, but recover quickly. My muscles are fairly strong from cycling and generally being active. On the other hand, I am definitely pudgy and realize that could be hard on my joints. Also, I suspect I don't have the most awesome form.
Looking at the c25k, it seems like the first three weeks or so aren't quite enough - I've already been jogging longer distances. But I do want to avoid injury AND make running"stick" as a workout. Where would you start? Also, do you have suggestions about form/resources for learning how to run better?
Thanks!

Hey Olives. I'm no expert & I've only been running for a year but from what I've read you should build up your distances before your speed. I'd say that if you are already quite fit start c25K at week 4 or 5 if you think you can do this but maybe repeat weeks if necessary. Just make sure you listen to your body. Also mixing up your running with all the other stuff you like to doing is good to prevent injury. It's also recommended that you don't up your mileage by more than 10% a week. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:14 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

ScooterDiva wrote:
...I really want to give up but am hoping i'll eventually acclimate.

And after you do, you'll go lower for a visit and just be bending steel bars and punching holes in the space-time continuum.

www.monsterdoodlebook.com - DRAW! MONSTERS!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:23 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Chickpea wrote:
ScooterDiva wrote:

I've read quite a lot about the benefits of running & walking as a fitness strategy for running. It is suppose to be as beneficial as persevering with running all the time. Don't give up SD. You can only improve if you get out there! You can do it & the benefits will be SO worthwhile.

Thanks chickpea. I had been running a song/walking a song in Seattlewhen I first started, so I'm back to that. It just seems that my aerobic capacity isn't improving whatsoever. I really appreciate your advice :).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:08 am 

Thanks chickpea!
I went ahead and did a week 4 workout today. I think it was appropriate: since the distances were a bit shorter than what I have done the past week or so, so I was able to go a bit faster and get my lungs working harder.
ScooterDiva - as I said I'm no runner, but my experience w/ exercise in Denver & the mountains is that some people who are fit take longer than they expected to adapt to the altitude. Remember to drink a lot of water- it really helps - even when you're not excercizing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:57 am 
Saggy Butt

Olives wrote:

Thanks!

One way of measuring your capacity is with a heart rate monitor. Figure out what your target heart rate should be (lots of internet sites will guide you through this) and wear a monitor while you run. It's also a great way to judge your progress. As for form, try watching some youtube videos. Scott Jurek has some about running form. And my last piece of advice is to get fitted for a good pair of shoes! This one is really important.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:33 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Quote:

Awesome! Thanks, Chickpea!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:28 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

ScooterDiva wrote:
Chickpea wrote:
ScooterDiva wrote:

Thanks chickpea. I had been running a song/walking a song in Seattlewhen I first started, so I'm back to that. It just seems that my aerobic capacity isn't improving whatsoever. I really appreciate your advice :).

The same thing happened to me when I moved from Omaha to Denver. Even the elliptical was hard! But I've run three half marathons since then, so I promise it gets easier!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:15 pm 
Nailed to the V

inceptisol wrote:
2) not feeling like i wish someone would shoot me and put me out of my misery.

Congrats! And, I cannot stop laughing, ahhhhhhahhahaa.

thanks for the YouTube video recommendation; I'm sure my form could use work too.

I didn't end up running on vacation, we were too busy to want to take a morning to go to the gym, and too tired at night! Monday was adjusting-from-jetlag day, so today was my first post-vacation run.

I RAN FAAAST TODAY. I usually run 4.0mph, and when I'm pushing my endurance limit I usually have to slow down to 3.9 or 3.8mph. In the past I have run 4.3mph for a few minutes, when feeling particularly energetic. Today I did 24 minutes (my personal best is 32), but I did the first half at 4.3mph, and the second half at 4.4, no 4.5, no 4.7!! then back to 4.5. I grinning like a fool, wasn't even tired until ~3minutes left, usually I have a wall around 15 minutes.

HEY YOU GUYS, I'M AMAZING

Now I can't decide if I want to do time or distance on Friday. HMM.

Now I remember why I try to keep a continent between me and New Jersey at all times. -torque

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:03 am 
Dead by dawn

Coach T posted this to the book of faces this morning. Cute, and accurate enough.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:23 am 

Thanks for the YouTube recs! I'll give those a watch.

I'm sort of surprising myself by continuing to run and not actually hating it. If I keep it up this week (which I anticipate doing) imma buy me a new pair of shoes when i get paid.

I think the thing I'm liking and finding satisfaction in is while i am not especially talented at running, it's something i can do by myself without needing anything special. I really dig recognizing the capabilities of the (my) human body - even if it's chubby or slow or not especially graceful.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:24 am 

Also, Mac, you're amazing!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:53 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

monkeytoes wrote:
Coach T posted this to the book of faces this morning. Cute, and accurate enough.

This is great!

I ran 4 miles today with Emily, my blue heeler mix. It was a gorgeous fall morning & the trees are just amazing
right now. There was a light haze in a few places- sooo pretty.

I made two new running playlists, & added some different songs- mostly from the 90's- to my playlist- pretty varied. I was given some new electronica by a DJ friend, which I love running to. Also, some stuff I've had forever but never had in a running playlist: Pretender/ Foo Fighters, Green Shirt/Boss Hog, Know Your Chicken/ Cibo Matto Radio Nowhere/ Bruce Springsteen (had to download this one), Little Joe/ Soundgarden, Knot/ 7 year bisque, L7, lots of Supersuckers from the Smoke of Hell. And Good Vibrations by...awww yeeahh...Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch. But that one I've run to before...and no, I will not be shamed.

Mostly old stuff I had never uploaded mixed in with some songs I already like, and it made a nice change.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 137  Next