| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1103, 1104, 1105, 1106, 1107, 1108, 1109 ... 1851  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:29 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

There is a job posting for my perfect job. I'm super nervous to apply...staff attorney at a child welfare non-government organization. Downside compared to current job: not my own boss, don't set my own hours. Pros: increased pay, benefits, not doing divorce work, helping children. I think tomorrow I'm going to call 2 people I know who work there to see what they can tell me about it. The woman in charge there kind of scares me, but still...I applied and was offered 2 internships there while in law school but had to reject them because I had already accepted elsewhere and I worked with them on a proposal to work on ending child prostitution for after graduation that only didn't work because I didn't get the fellowships I applied for...eep!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:47 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

kfad wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
Wow, I didn't realize until just now that Netflix censors its content. That's stupid.

Wait... what?
That is not cool

Netflix isn't in the business of editing content for streaming. They present things in whatever form they are provided. The studios retain all controls and any alteration on the part of Netflix would be a serious violation of their licensing agreement.

Remember that "family friendly" video rental service from Utah? The studios came down hard on them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:10 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Adele doing the new Bond title song is pure genius. I can't imagine a better modern successor to Shirley Bassey. I loved Garbage and Chris Cornell, but Skyfall is one of the best title songs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:13 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

PETA have released a Pokémon parody attacking the game because it promotes breeding animals for fighting, apparently (in the same way that the Sims promotes holding people hostage and making them act out your fantasies and Portal promotes jumping through hoops). It has the same good-quality, heavy-handed uncharismatic feel to it of everything PETA makes, but it mildly amusing nonetheless.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:59 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I may be turning vegan. I blame the ppk (and, to a lesser extent, Jonathan Safran Foer).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:01 am 
Seagull of the PPK

acr wrote:
i think the problem is that i hate makeup, and i've never worn it, but i also hate looking like a sallow old ragbag, and i'm slowly beginning to accept that i will have to get over my objection to one or the other if i ever want to feel o.k. about leaving my apartment again.

this all is exactly me, including looking like a drag queen or janice from the muppets, only not as pretty (speaking exclusively for myself). [i do look great in drag but unfortunately that also is not an option for most of my social interactions]

i have just started wearing tinted sunscreen on my face, which is very good, and multifunctional.
as for things with color, i am totally lost (did i add i have problems with colors? i can see them but have trouble comparing them, naming them, etc, as does nearly everyone in my family-- all the men are colorblind, but we womenfolk are just confused). Last time i was in NY I went into a cosmetics place and asked the woman to please please help me pick a color of lipstick. {When I asked the same question at sephora the guy actually sighed out loud and said "well you ^have to^ know what color you want" and got all huffy so i left, boo.}
In any case, she was very patient and took me through everything, finally gave me a nice bold pink that would play against my eyes and and I left with what, today, in my hand, is exactly the same color as my real life lips. Not sure that's the point of lipstick? I just don't seem to get it, apparently.
As for blush- well, I have rosacea so there is a 50-50 chance that my cheeks will be cherry red, so i don't need that, and eyeshadow seems to increase the drag queen look.
Instead, I put some black kajal in my eyes, put on my sunscreen, and get more (black) tattoos. At least I don't look like my mom.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:14 am 
WRETCHED

I don't know but i think I've been having a recurring dream where there is a black spot on the tips of my ears that won't wash off. I woke up thinking I need to go to the dermatologist as I might have skin cancer. I checked my ears in the mirror and there s no dark spot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:44 am 
Nailed to the V

amonik wrote:
I may be turning vegan. I blame the ppk (and, to a lesser extent, Jonathan Safran Foer).

ahahah! deeeep inside, you are already vegan :)
just accept it!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:20 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I dreamt that I went to the supermarket with my dad and took home two orange and white kitties.
Now I want kitties.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:36 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

torque wrote:
Instead, I put some black kajal in my eyes, put on my sunscreen, and get more (black) tattoos. At least I don't look like my mom.

this is my favorite idea so far. i am a little sad that we don't live closer to each other, though, because if we did we could work that drag muppet look together, and maybe people would start to think it was a thing, and then all our problems would be solved-ish.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:55 am 
Impressive boner

I'm in love with Kyary Pamyu Pamyu. For the first time in my whole 33 years on this planet I want pink frills and sparkles, rainbows, lollipops, unicorns, stuffed bears and Lolita dresses. I think I'm coming down with the same illness Pubert Addams had.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:15 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

My breakfast is a mealy pear. I am sad.

But later I am going to finish up gallons of liquors...so much better.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:03 am 
Seagull of the PPK

acr wrote:
torque wrote:

this is my favorite idea so far. i am a little sad that we don't live closer to each other, though, because if we did we could work that drag muppet look together, and maybe people would start to think it was a thing, and then all our problems would be solved-ish.

I plan to be up your way next summer (your summer). I call a black-kajal-muppet-drag-party at Lula's!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:10 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

torque wrote:
acr wrote:
torque wrote:

I plan to be up your way next summer (your summer). I call a black-kajal-muppet-drag-party at Lula's!!!!

OH MY GOD YES

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:52 am 

One of my coworkers peas me off so much. She treats me like I'm unintelligent/a kid (I'm fairly sure I'm only a few years younger than her) refuses to fix something I've asked her to fix for me (I'd do it myself but she didn't want me to, now she doesn't mind but there are certain work flow rules that make it difficult for me) and she says she'll get someone to do it but doesn't. Drove me to rage tears just a few moments ago. I hate crying.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:57 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

There's a possibility I've been replying to rhetorical questions (on twitter) all day. Maybe I should just shut up and take my cold meds.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:59 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

lillianp wrote:
One of my coworkers peas me off so much. She treats me like I'm unintelligent/a kid (I'm fairly sure I'm only a few years younger than her) refuses to fix something I've asked her to fix for me (I'd do it myself but she didn't want me to, now she doesn't mind but there are certain work flow rules that make it difficult for me) and she says she'll get someone to do it but doesn't. Drove me to rage tears just a few moments ago. I hate crying.

i've cried the rage tears. i'm sorry you're having that day. here are some cats in a sink to cheer you up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:05 am 

acr wrote:

i've cried the rage tears. i'm sorry you're having that day. here are some cats in a sink to cheer you up.

Thanks. I talked to my boss and he's going to talk to her, so hopefully that'll make it better in the future. And the cats are so cute!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:18 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Yesterday I was really scared there was something in the mice/big spider/beetle department clunking around near my stove. Turned out it was chickpeas expanding as they soaked! Heh.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:43 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

@acr, I'm huge on the Beauty Balm train (BB Cream). I use Boscia, but it only comes in one shade (blends in pretty well, but might be problematic). My mom likes Too Faced BB Cream which comes in four shades. They're sheer and have some light reflecting particles to brighten the complexion. A little blush and mascara could make you feel more awake, too.

Gosh, I love make up. I think Janice from the Muppets is kind of hot though, and not unlike how I intentionally do my makeup, so there's that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:03 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

dropscone wrote:
Yesterday I was really scared there was something in the mice/big spider/beetle department clunking around near my stove. Turned out it was chickpeas expanding as they soaked! Heh.

CLUNKING CHICKPEAS??!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:28 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I think they were pinging against the sides of the pot. And it's quite a big pot, so that probably amplified the noise.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:40 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I've experienced the clunking chickpeas phenomenon as well. It really freaked me out the first time I cooked beans from dry! Sometimes it still startles me, because I'll forget that I'm soaking beans and wonder where the hell the noises are coming from.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:28 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

ndpittman wrote:
Gosh, I love make up. I think Janice from the Muppets is kind of hot though, and not unlike how I intentionally do my makeup, so there's that.

Black-kajal-muppet-drag-parade Part II: The Muppets Take Bubble Tea in Boston with Pittman!

Last edited by torque on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:30 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

lillianp wrote:

High-five my fellow "I endure crassholes at work." I've had rage tears a one too many times the past week and ended up having to see a psychiatrist I work with as an emergency today. Is there any way you can take a few days out? I know it is only papering the cracks and not dealing with the root of the problem but if you are at the stage where you are having rage tears then you need to put you first x

Yeah, so work sucks. Thanks to me being pressurised by my immediate coworkers into ignoring my mental health and working when I really shouldn't be I nearly ended up hospitalised. Only reason why I am not is because I refused outright and wouldn't even consider it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1103, 1104, 1105, 1106, 1107, 1108, 1109 ... 1851  Next