| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PAX east (boston MA)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:54 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

is anyone going? it's march 22-24 this year.

tickets went live yesterday. the 3-day passes might still be available. but they go quick.
http://east.paxsite.com/

Post subject: Re: PAX east (boston MA)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:45 pm 

does anyone live near a train line or something that would bring us near the convention center in south boston, and would be willing to put us up for 4 nights? (or fewer, really. the hotels are just really so expensive, and the parking. guh! the parking is insane!)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:34 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Is anyone going who can pick me up some World of Tanks (or World of Warplanes) swag? Especially the dogtags they usually have? I'll pay shipping... 8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:13 am 

i'll put it on my list. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:31 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Awesome, thanks. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:50 pm 

no probs. :-)

as for lodging, it looks like i might be able to snag a room at holiday in express which is only a 1.3 mile walk from the convention center and may have free parking. and we are going to be rooming with a buddy, so it's not as bad as it could be.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:29 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Walking a mile through Southie? Don't go alone, especially at night.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:41 pm 

nope, i'll have 2 dudes with me.

(would it be better to do the silver line/red line thing?)

also, if anyone has suggestions of places to eat along the silver and red lines, lay them on me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:06 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, it'd probably be better to take the "Silver Line." That's kind of a weird name for the bus-- Red, Blue, Green, and Orange are trains (mostly subways), so they kind of tacked the Silver Line onto that. That's different and separate from the actual Boston bus system, I guess, just in order to be totally confusing. They also mostly just serve the airport and convention center... Either way, Boston has a pretty decent public transport system.

For good places to eat, the Red Line passes through Harvard Square, which should give you tons of decent options, although that's pretty far from South Station. South Station is near downtown, which isn't as exciting as you'd think-- it's mostly big banks and stuff like that. 2 stops away is Park Street, though, and there's stuff around there. At Park you can catch the Green Line, which also goes lots of interesting places. I don't know how much time you'll have in Boston, though, and if you're there for Pax you probably want to hang out there more than poke around... 8)

There are people who have lived in Boston more recently than me, and there are occasional "what's good near (thing) in Boston?" threads over in that sub-forum, so it might be worth asking there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:07 pm 
ugh

I might go but I'm not sure yet. If not, I work down the street and would love to grab lunch or dinner on Friday.

Food suggestions near the convention center & red line:
- Flour Bakery (has a couple good vegan sandwiches and treats, near the convention center)
- Clover Food Lab (awesome vegan falafel sandwich, truck near South Station, restaurant near Harvard Square)
- My Thai Vegan Cafe (all vegan restaurant, kinda near South Station/Downtown Crossing)
- Veggie Galaxy (veg*n diner, all vegan baked goods, Central Square)
- The Middle East (veg*n friendly restaurant, Central Square)
- Harvest Co-op (grocery w/many vegan things, Central Square)
- Life Alive (veg*n hippie restaurant, Central Square)
- Veggie Planet (veg*n friendly pizza place, Harvard Square)
- True Bistro (fancy vegan restaurant, Davis Square)

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:10 pm 
ugh

Oh, forgot one - Seaport Convenience on Congress St. isn't too far from PAX. They sell mostly booze but they have a random selection of vegan stuff (Tofurky, Daiya, coconut ice cream, etc.)

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:18 pm 

yay! thanks. :-) lunch or dinner on friday would be awesome! (just heads up, both gramps and i are introverts and somewhat awkward.) you can choose where to eat. we've been to my thai, veggie galaxy, true bistro, grasshopper and peace o'pie, and we've eaten at clover as well. but i liked them all, so i wouldn't mind going to them again.

i signed up to be in the cookie brigade, so if you wanna contribute some cookies, i'd be happy to distribute them. (and walk around and sit in lines with you, of course if you attend.) it looks like the daily badges are low, so i wouldn't stall much longer if you're teetering toward yes.

and good news, everybody, the holiday inn has a free shuttle to the convention center, so it looks like i won't have to walk or do a weird transfer to the "silver line" we might still get our public transportation cards just in case, but the shuttle really helps either way.

::edit:: OH!!! so the charlie card doesn't work on the silver line? that's awful.

Last edited by supercarrot on Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:19 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

b.vicious wrote:
Oh, forgot one - Seaport Convenience on Congress St. isn't too far from PAX. They sell mostly booze but they have a random selection of vegan stuff (Tofurky, Daiya, coconut ice cream, etc.)

This is right down the street from my work, and I had no idea! Awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:26 pm 
ugh

vegetalion wrote:
b.vicious wrote:

This is right down the street from my work, and I had no idea! Awesome.

Wait, you work near me? Why don't we hang out?!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:27 pm 

awww. love connection. <3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:28 pm 
ugh

supercarrot wrote:
yay! thanks. :-) lunch or dinner on friday would be awesome! (just heads up, both gramps and i are introverts and somewhat awkward.) you can choose where to eat. we've been to my thai, veggie galaxy, true bistro, grasshopper and peace o'pie, and we've eaten at clover as well. but i liked them all, so i wouldn't mind going to them again.

i signed up to be in the cookie brigade, so if you wanna contribute some cookies, i'd be happy to distribute them. (and walk around and sit in lines with you, of course if you attend.) it looks like the daily badges are low, so i wouldn't stall much longer if you're teetering toward yes.

We'll figure something out closer to the date for sure!
supercarrot wrote:
and good news, everybody, the holiday inn has a free shuttle to the convention center, so it looks like i won't have to walk or do a weird transfer to the "silver line" we might still get our public transportation cards just in case, but the shuttle really helps either way.

::edit:: OH!!! so the charlie card doesn't work on the silver line? that's awful.

Wuh? Maybe it depends which one you get. I have a monthly pass that is stored on a Charlie Card and I use it on the silver line! (Where did you see this?)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:28 pm 

b.vicious wrote:
supercarrot wrote:

Wuh? Maybe it depends which one you get. I have a monthly pass that is stored on a Charlie Card and I use it on the silver line! (Where did you see this?)

phew! i read solipsistnation's response about the silver line being completely separate from the boston transportation system as meaning it can't be paid for with a charlie card. that's reassuring that it can.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:05 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

supercarrot wrote:
phew! i read solipsistnation's response about the silver line being completely separate from the boston transportation system as meaning it can't be paid for with a charlie card. that's reassuring that it can.

Oh! No, I'm sorry, I meant that they make it look like it's a subway, but it's busses.

Sorry for the confusion, heh.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:30 pm 

good show! :-)

(i definitely wouldn't want to be on a bus on the friday morning. last year, it took a good 45 minutes to drive from south station to the convention center, and then i was turned away and had to park in an expensive lot down the street anyway. i am definitely going to ask the hotel ahead of time what the route is, because if the shuttle takes summer street, we be walkin! haha! or at least asking the shuttle to take D street instead.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:38 pm 

2 weeks to go! is anyone going to bake cookies for the cookie brigade? i got some super cheap faux cellophane baggies, and i'm gonna seal them with ingredient stickers. easy peasy.

we've decided to go to addis red sea on thursday for dinner, and also, i found that channel cafe (which is pretty much right next door to the convention center) is slightly vegan friendly. AND they use levelUP, so w00t! (here's my link if you don't have it yet, which i'm sure you do, since it's boston based. if not though, we'll both get $5 if you sign up under me https://www.thelevelup.com/c/RCW0JH they also have boloco, which miiiiiight be a little too far? we'll see.)

i would really like to check out fomu, but i have no idea when we'd be able to break away. i think the only time might be on thursday night, or if we go to veggie galaxy. (but then it's 3 miles from veggie galaxy, so probably not.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:51 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

cookie brigade sounds super awesome. I wish I could go! but I did tell Eppy's Dungeon Master to buy cookies if he sees anyone with them!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:55 pm 
ugh

Hey, I forgot to post that I bought passes for this so fiance & I are definitely going! Addis Red Sea is great, you'll love it. I work across the street from Channel Cafe and the last time I got food there, I wasn't feeling it - too expensive for mediocre food. That said, it has been at least a couple years since I've eaten there and they could be better by now, I don't know.

I can't believe I forgot to mention Boloco last time, I love that place! I eat there constantly during the warmer months, not as much during the winter because the wind blowing over the Summer St. bridge can be pretty brutal. But on a decent day the walk isn't too far and well worth cheap, delicious burritos.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:20 pm 

yaaay! which days are you going? send me a PM with your gmail address, and i'll share the doc that we're tracking which panels we'd like to attend. (a few folks from 8-bit brigade are also going, and a few of them have decided to go veg! so you'll be in good company.)

channel is also on restaurant.com, but i can't figure out how to use my credit. (guh! so frustrating!) i looked at their website, and it looks like they only have like one vegan item each day. :-/ i'm gonna write the a message letting them know a bunch of vegans will be going to eat there, so maybe make a little extra. heh.

so, other than channel and flour, are there any other places that i wouldn't have to trek over the bridge? (if it's nice on friday, we're definitely going to clover food truck.) also, one of the lunch shuttles goes to chinatown, so my thai is also an option. once i know more about the shuttles, i can plan more meals. (actually, since the convention center never responded to my e-mail, would it be too much trouble if i asked you to take a walk up there and get one of the lunch shuttle route maps? i'd love you forever! not like i don't already.) :-) if i remember correctly, they stop running at 3:00, so lunch can be via shuttle and dinner will be have to be via walking (or we can dig into the cookie bag)

OH!!! also, are you going to the rock band event on thursday?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:00 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I just wanted to remind y'all that if Wargaming is there with World of Tanks (or World of Warplanes, for that matter) and they have swag, if grab me something I'll pay you back for postage to California, or swap you something for it if you prefer... 8)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:36 am 
ugh

Other before-the-bridge food stops:

- Yada Yada is a cute little Greek place down the street from Flour. They have a pretty good hummus wrap and veggie dolmas.
- Papagayo on Summer St. is a Mexican restaurant, they have a couple things that you can get vegan (fajitas, black bean soup, fancy table side guac) if you don't mind asking them to leave off the cheese and sour cream. I don't know whether their tortillas are vegan, you'd have to ask.
- Blue Dragon is a new restaurant that opened up on A St. I haven't been yet but a couple things on their menu look like they could be vegan: http://www.ming.com/blue-dragon.htm
- Seaport Convenience, mentioned above, has been renamed Fort Point Market. It has veggie sushi and vegan snacks but no place to sit - it's just a store. (I don't recommend the prepared sandwiches in the back.) Go early if you want sushi, it sells out pretty quick.
- Metro Cafe on Congress St. has a big salad bar and sometimes vegan soup. Plenty of chips and stuff like that, too. No seating there, and it's usually packed full of people who work in the area for lunch.
- There's a new market called Bee's Knees opening up next to Flour. I'm not sure if it will open in time for PAX, but if it does, it looks like the sort of place that might cater to vegans.