| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Honey?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:39 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I refuse to eat honey out of pure spite against the local organic bakers/food makers who put it in everything in the name of being 'natural'. My health food store makes one vegan bread, the rest have honey. I think the only one that has milk is Challah they make once a week. Some local food company rents a small cold case there, they have tofu veggie sushi. THAT has honey. fork you, hippies, i'm not buying your stupid honey food.

I buy big jugs of agave because that's what I use in my green/mint iced tea, it dissolves a lot easier than sugar.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:50 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Make a simple syrup from sugar. That'd dissolve easier too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:01 am 
Seagull of the PPK

this isn't related to the ethics of honey at all, but someone may enjoy reading - bees made some oddly colored honey
http://www.news.com.au/world/mms-factor ... _172512942

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:30 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

What the hell? Who puts honey in sushi? (MBM's hippie store, that's who).

supercarrot, I guess morally conflicted is the wrong phrase to use. I just feel a bit awkward about it. You're right though, it is a pretty happy life for the bees. Even though those little forkers are always trying to kill me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:40 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

It can be in inari, which is sort of sweet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:49 am 

True, rice in inari is sweetened. But with cane sugar, not honey!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:11 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Whole Foods sweetens it with honey.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:48 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

i've heard the WF brown rice sushi uses honey to help the rice stick together. why they couldn't use some other sugar or syrup, i do not know.

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:55 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I dunno, but the honey inari they were selling was with white rice. I made inari before with agave, it was really good, but those inari pockets come in giant packages, at least here. I think I was making it for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:59 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

kimba wrote:
It can be in inari, which is sort of sweet.

I recently discovered that inari can also have stupid bonito in it.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:02 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

vijita wrote:
I work at an orchard and we use bees to pollinate the trees at certain times of the year. I've never liked honey, but I have seen how much the beekeeper cares for his bees, and it's been fairly eye-opening. Commercial honey doesn't come from bees treated in this fashion, so I will always avoid it at all costs.

It was pretty amazing when a bee stung my eye a couple of months ago and I had an insane allergic reaction. I was all "I love you bees! I'm vegan! What are you doing to me?!?!".

OMG! Did you have to go to the hospital?! I can't even imagine how utterly forkin' painful that must have been!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:20 am 

Nah, I just had to go to a clinic and get an epi-pen. I had no idea I had any allergies at all. Now we have an epi-pen at work, despite it apparently being illegal to keep that kind of medicine in a workplace. It's hidden in my filing cabinet!

It really wasn't that painful, just confusing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:42 am 
Inflexitarian

vijita wrote:
Nah, I just had to go to a clinic and get an epi-pen. I had no idea I had any allergies at all. Now we have an epi-pen at work, despite it apparently being illegal to keep that kind of medicine in a workplace. It's hidden in my filing cabinet!

It really wasn't that painful, just confusing.

Woah, what? Why would it be illegal to keep an epi-pen in the workplace? That doesn't make any sense.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:45 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

Tea wrote:
Woah, what? Why would it be illegal to keep an epi-pen in the workplace? That doesn't make any sense.

I've heard of situations where employers wouldn't keep medication (non-prescription, like painkillers) available for employees because of liability issues.. like, if something is expired, someone uses it, then they're liable. it's pretty annoying. but perhaps and epi-pen falls into the same kind of category? where it's not illegal by law, but it's not permitted in the workplace anyway

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:28 pm 
Inflexitarian

joshua wrote:
Tea wrote:

I've heard of situations where employers wouldn't keep medication (non-prescription, like painkillers) available for employees because of liability issues.. like, if something is expired, someone uses it, then they're liable. it's pretty annoying. but perhaps and epi-pen falls into the same kind of category? where it's not illegal by law, but it's not permitted in the workplace anyway

Oh, I see. That would seem reasonable. I didn't consider the whole "prescription medicine" side of things, and was thinking about it like something that was a generically good idea to have around incase somebody needs it in an emergency.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm 

Yeah, you can't administer a prescription medication to any person who is not the recipient of the doctor's prescription. But you can bet that if someone was stung and showed immediate allergic symptoms, I would (with their permission) inject them with the epipen. So...I'm not doing things the right way, but I could also possibly be saving a life. Epipens are dangerous because they are adrenaline, so it's important to keep them in a safe spot to avoid any harm or abuse. I needed very small doses of it and my heart monitored because I am not a very big person.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:21 pm 

vijita wrote:
Yeah, you can't administer a prescription medication to any person who is not the recipient of the doctor's prescription. But you can bet that if someone was stung and showed immediate allergic symptoms, I would (with their permission) inject them with the epipen. So...I'm not doing things the right way, but I could also possibly be saving a life. Epipens are dangerous because they are adrenaline, so it's important to keep them in a safe spot to avoid any harm or abuse. I needed very small doses of it and my heart monitored because I am not a very big person.

There are epipens for kids that have a smaller dose. I'm not sure how small but that might work for you if the regular sized one is potentially problematic.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

j-dub wrote:
vijita wrote:

There are epipens for kids that have a smaller dose. I'm not sure how small but that might work for you if the regular sized one is potentially problematic.

ack scary, I carry an epi-pen (and hope to never need it since at this time my "adult on-set" all-nut allergy is not super severe of life threatening but I still avoid all nuts), I'm 5'2" and 102 pounds (I lost about 5 pounds after going vegan and am trying to get back up to at least 105) anyway, how do I know if my allergy doc gave me a regular one or one more appropriate to my body weight etc...... what are the side effects of too much adrenaline being administered? heck, i've heard some people use two at a time if needed!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:55 pm 

I mean, you just pierce the skin to administer it. I would just poke a bit in, breathe deeply and give it a few minutes, then continue as needed.

I'm 5'8" and 125-130-ish pounds and the doctor sent me home with the rest of the dosage because it was making my heart race a lot. I don't think it's horribly harmful unless you have a heart condition, but if your allergy is severe and a doctor recommends two doses then by all means, follow their orders.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:07 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Wow...I think it should be illegal not to have an EpiPen in the workplace!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:32 am 
Chip Strong

bookwormbethie wrote:
j-dub wrote:
vijita wrote:

ack scary, I carry an epi-pen (and hope to never need it since at this time my "adult on-set" all-nut allergy is not super severe of life threatening but I still avoid all nuts), I'm 5'2" and 102 pounds (I lost about 5 pounds after going vegan and am trying to get back up to at least 105) anyway, how do I know if my allergy doc gave me a regular one or one more appropriate to my body weight etc...... what are the side effects of too much adrenaline being administered? heck, i've heard some people use two at a time if needed!

You need to read the package instructions, and ask your doctor these questions. It is far too important to leave to strangers on the Internet. If you end up using an epipen, you need to go to the emergency room immediately. No need to worry about side effects--they will take care of anything that happens afterward at the hospital.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:49 am 

Beanitarian wrote:
You need to read the package instructions, and ask your doctor these questions. It is far too important to leave to strangers on the Internet. If you end up using an epipen, you need to go to the emergency room immediately. No need to worry about side effects--they will take care of anything that happens afterward at the hospital.

Yes. An epi-pen will basically give you 15 minutes to get to the hospital at which point you need to be getting further medication. If you're farther away from a hospital you can do an epi-pen plus benedryl which will kick in as the epi-pen is wearing off, but still, hospital is a must!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:52 am 

Okay, sorry! I didn't mean to give out any ignorant information. Please don't listen to me. I am new to allergies!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

your info that you provided is just fine ;) I should of had common sense and asked my question above to my allergist ;) no worries!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5