| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: toddler signing
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:25 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I'm a nanny for 18-month old twins, as many of you probably know. They can each say one word (K says "hi" and T says "no") and many twins are language delayed so I'm not expecting them to be able to communicate their desires through speech anytime that soon. They have been getting so frustrated lately--screaming and thrashing and banging their heads against the floor--and I think it's because they can understand so much but communicate so little, and they can't tell me what they want/need. Most babies and toddlers I know who sign were taught at much younger than 18 months, but considering that I doubt they'll be talking that well in the near future it seems like a good idea--does anyone have experience in teaching kids this age to sign? How long does it usually take to get them to master a few?

I know there's also some evidence that signing might delay speech further, I should read about that too...I don't even know any signs yet myself, and I'm also only with them 32 hours a week, so I'm worried that's not enough time to get them to use them, but I think I can get their parents on board with a few at least. I'm not entirely sure if it's doable/worth it but I guess I might as well try? Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: toddler signing
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:45 pm 

So I'm printing this chart and putting it on the fridge

http://www.babysignlanguage.com/wp-cont ... art-us.pdf

and I figure I'll start introducing a few when they wake up from their nap.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:57 pm 
Semen Strong

We are doing a great ASL course and I love it. Our instructor recommends Signing Time. The flashcards are $10 and the DVDs are $20.

If the parents will pay for it, I say do a course at the Y, but if not at least get the cards or DVD, because they are fun. There are also little stpry books that you can read to the kids and practice a sign alongside that are useful.

Leela has 3-4 signs that she uses, but our friend who has been doing it for longer has a kid with a pretty good sign vocab, and she's only 11 months. The signing didn't hold her speech up, but yes, I've read that it can delay speech.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:06 pm 

I don't think a class will work out, mostly because their inconsistent nap schedules makes it difficult to schedule anything, but hopefully my instruction and convincing their parents to join in will be enough. There is surprisingly little information about the actual process of teaching signs to babies online--should I just choose like three signs and focus on them for a while? Just bombard them all of the ones on that chart?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:17 pm 

Ok, we're starting with these ones!

And then I'll keep adding more to the fridge if these ones catch on. Mom is on board which will hopefully translate to their parents using the signs when I'm not there. We'll see.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:32 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We've been signing with Malka since forever. She still only really has one sign (milk) and lately she uses it to mean pretty much everything (I think if anything is holding up her speech, it's my intermittently speaking to her in not-English). Nevertheless, we press on with new signs! I definitely don't think 18 months is too late to start and doing it 30+ hours a week is a ton, even if the parents don't reinforce it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:46 pm 
Semen Strong

I am new to signing and excited by it, so I try and use the signs while speaking. She uses 3-4, but off the top of my head, I use cat, dog, hat, baby, mama, daddy, share, music, dance, behind, under, table, eat, drink, more, hurt, toilet, wet, sun, diaper, come, go, milk and patience regularly.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:19 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I signed with baby Zoey when she was younger. I think you have the right idea to start with a couple at a time, that is what I did. "Milk" and "more" were by far the most popular signs. She picked those up quickly. I think I did "all done" next. I wasn't very reliable and my husband didn't use them at all but she picked up what I taught her as long as they were signs to help her get what she wanted. We rented a Baby Signing Time video from the library and she liked that. It was a little more signing than I was able to take on but I actually caught her doing some of the signs from the videos. 30 hours a week is absolutely enough to teach her some signs!

As for the language delay, I have heard that signing can delay some kids, but I actually think that it helped baby Zoey. By the time she was talking she knew more signs so I knew what she was trying to say and could encourage her. Sadly I stopped signing once she was talking more and more. I want to pick it up again.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:26 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

strawberryrock wrote:
Ok, we're starting with these ones!

And then I'll keep adding more to the fridge if these ones catch on. Mom is on board which will hopefully translate to their parents using the signs when I'm not there. We'll see.

I find this chart really odd because of the lack of anything but a preternaturally sunny facial expression. I know ASL in the context of Deafness and facial expression is as (if not more) important the the sign itself, and I imagine it would be similar in teaching kids--for example the "Hurt" sign is just bizarre with that giant smile.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:48 pm 

The cartoon lady is pretty creepy, agreed. I promise not to have a weird huge smile on my face when the kids get hurt, though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:48 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish wrote:
I am new to signing and excited by it, so I try and use the signs while speaking. She uses 3-4, but off the top of my head, I use cat, dog, hat, baby, mama, daddy, share, music, dance, behind, under, table, eat, drink, more, hurt, toilet, wet, sun, diaper, come, go, milk and patience regularly.

Dude, you gots to teach me some of these. Especially "patience."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:49 pm 

Ariann wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

Dude, you gots to teach me some of these. Especially "patience."

If teaching kids a sign means they automatically understand a concept, shiitake, me too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:14 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I signed with Silas since he was a newborn until he was probably 18 months or so, he learned a few and then dropped them. He was speech delayed, so at some point around 2 1/2 one of his SLP's interns suggested teaching him to sign again and he just picked it right up, we couldn't teach them fast enough. We were all really adamant about having him try to say the words while signing and it actually was the catalyst to gaining his speech. We were all a little wary at first, worried it would hinder him further. Signing helped him so much, totally took away his frustrations and nonstop tantrums. He got the instant gratification that he needed to propel him towards language. For awhile he would sign while he was talking, and then the signs just fell away as he learned out to speak clearer. He's just working on enunciation and specific sounds now and hasn't signed in ages.

Really hope this helps you and the twins, strawberryrock. It was a lifesaver for us.

We went about it kind of the way you are suggesting, just a few signs at a time that are most needed. After a few weeks, I would look up about 5 a day and he was just learning them instantly. Made life so much easier.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:06 pm 
Semen Strong

I really like being able to do "ouch" or "hurt." Its kind of a nice distraction when she is crying, to ask what hurts and test the different body parts until she stops crying. Plus then I can sign ouch when she bites me.

Its hilarious because we were out with JENNA and basically Leela signs come here all the time, and I guess she must figure it doesn't work because we always say, No, you come here!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:01 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I always come when Leela beckons. I'm not incurring baby disappointment, I ain't no fool.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:21 am 
Semen Strong

And that is why she adores you! Well we both do :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:12 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I have been doing ASL with my babe. He just does a few signs. A friend of mine started at 12 months with her son and he learned REALLY quickly. I hadn't seen them for a few weeks and then the next time I saw them he showed off like 10 signs he knew. It is never too late to start. I think with some kids, later is better for them to understand what they are doing. At 11 months I think my son is copying stuff more and more and really understanding or trying to understand what we are doing so it's prme time for him to learn some new ones.

Also, links to stuff that says it can delay speech? I have never heard that.