| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: If you were gonna be feeding a Midwestern country blues band
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:35 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

....what would you feed them?

This isn't just a really bizarre hypothetical question, by the way.

They're on tour a lot, so it would be kind of nice to present them with things that made them feel vaguely at home. I'm thinking some baked goods and some savoury things, but they would have to be handheld and good at room temperature.

They're not veg*an (as far as I know), so nothing TOO vegan, if ya know what I mean. Open to all suggestions, though.

Peas.

Post subject: Re: If you were gonna be feeding a Midwestern country blues
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Cornbread, chili, and pie!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:38 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Brownies! Brownies aren't too vegan and I am from the Midwest and love brownies. I don't think that's conditional on being from the Midwest though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:13 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

GraciaKai wrote:
Cornbread, chili, and pie!

You read my mind! All of those things can be vegan quite easily, and still yummy to omnis.

Easy to make too, good room temperature, and also cheap to make (if that is a consideration)

You can make hand pies! (or cupcakes maybe)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:53 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

ha, cool! what band?

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:07 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

The eggplant peanut stew from Veganomicon never fails to impress, and it's not weird. But seriously, everything from that book tends to impress.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:00 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I was going to suggest chili too - mainly because I have a pot of Vegan Diner chili simmering on the stove right now. What about sausage rolls? I've made these (with the addition of some VWG) a few times & they're really hearty & delicious, especially with tomato sauce or relish. http://herestheveg.blogspot.com.au/2008 ... rolls.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:40 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
ha, cool! what band?

The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band. They're doing an in-store gig thing at the indie record shop the boyfriend works at.

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions everyone. I like the chili idea, but not sure how the shop is for crockery. They do have a little kitchen bit upstairs so I may be able to rustle up some bowls of sorts. Otherwise I could attempt savoury chili hand pies. Could get messy, though. Those sausage rolls look yummy! And definitely brownies, since I need to make a bunch for elsewhere anyway, so I'll have the ingredients to hand.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:22 am 
Inflexitarian

Aaaah! I love the Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band! They're from my state, and I've seen them live.

I feed Midwest omnis pretty regularly. They can often get behind faux meat if it's convincing enough and/or deep fried. So maybe you could deep fry some faux chicken or tofu, slather it in BBQ or buffalo sauce, and stick it in a wrap (since you're going for handheld stuff). You could also try empanadas, tempeh bacon and acovado BLTs, potato anything (they have a song about mama's fried potatoes!), etc.

Do you have a crock pot or can you get one for cheap? Because that would make chili/stew/soup a really easy thing in a shop (just plug in the crockpot and keep it on low). You could be all rustic and kooky and serve the chili in earthenware mugs or something (which you can hold with one hand leaving your other free for sporking).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:28 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I second the crockpot or slow cooker idea. You can just let that thing sit on low all day and night. Give them some throw away paper or plastic bowls and they should be good to go. And if you make the cornbread you can pre-cut it into squares for easy eating. They can even pour some chili over the cornbread and eat them together with a spoon. That's good eats to me!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:53 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

No friggin way! Rev Peyton & co are awesome! They opened for Flogging Molly a few years ago and totally killed it. I heard a sad story from one of my veg friends last night regarding chili. She joined a chili cookoff at her work and everyone ostracized her for not adding meat and gave her a really low score because of it. Between the bean thing, the meat thing and the cinnamon thing people sure do get antsy about chili!

That aside, I think chili is a good idea so long as they aren't take their chili too seriously. Not too sound too sound like a country cliche, but what about a basket of warm biscuits and some white gravy in a crockpot? Maybe some stewed vegetables to even it out? Fresh fruit.

Whatever you do, make sure you post a follow up and let us know how it goes!

ETA: Oh, and you're in the UK too so chili or biscuits and gravy would be like a taste of home for them! Or maybe they were raised on take out chow mein, I don't know.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:10 pm 
Inflexitarian

I saw them with Flogging Molly too! In a relatively teeny venue in Indy where I could see everything perfectly. How can you not love a band that has a big, beautiful woman playing a washboard? *swoon*

Anyway... yes, we Hoosiers *do* eat stuff besides meat, potatoes, and gravy. But I still find hardy fare goes over well with most native Midwest folks.

Funnily enough, my lasting impression of British food (from when I was 12 and dumb) was that there was unappetizing gravy on everything... so I would steer away from anything with gravy. Ha! (Much love, Brits, I'm sure your vegan food is way better than the meat eaters' fare.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:36 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

You could do the crockpot/chili with cornbread muffins. Yum!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Jeez, I was coming here to say chili and cornbread too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:06 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Potatoes!

Maybe baked beans, roasted potatoes, veggies?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:42 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My first thought was chili too. My second thought was calzones, maybe with some ground seitan and I'd skip any cheesy like thing 'cause i don't miss it in a calzone anyway. (Or I'd throw in some cashew cheese 'cause it's always delicious.)

I like the idea of fresh fruit or a good salad to go with whatever hearty thing you make, since good fresh fruits and veggies can be more difficult to get enough of when you're on the road.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:00 am 
Inflexitarian

Oooh, I like the calzone idea. Handheld and good at room temp. Cashew cheese and/or pesto would probably go over well with omnis.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:57 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'd say either lasagna or mini tartes. I make my tarte filling like I make frittata, which is an AMAZING recipe i got from a ppk'er a few years back:

"Alison Rivers Solomon says to cook 1 c onion in 1/4 c margarine, with 1/2 t basil and 1/4 t marjoram, and then add 2 c broccoli and cook a few more minutes. I used about 2/3 c sofrito (from Viva Vegan) instead of the marg and onion, and spinach instead of broccoli.

In a separate pan, whisk together 4 c water, 2 t salt, and 1 1/2 c chickpea flour. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cook uncovered - whisking frequently - for 20 minutes. Combine with the vegetables and 1/4 t black salt. Pour into oiled tart pan, cover, and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

Bake at 350 for 20 min and then a few minutes under the broiler to brown."

So basically, that's what I do, and it's delicious. The best tarte I've ever made was with cauliflower, lots of green onions, garlic and tofu bacon. I just sauteed the onions, garlic and cauliflower, mixed it with the frittata "dough" and added some tofu bacon to the top, after filling it into a pre-baked tarte pastry. let it set for a few hours, and then bake for 20 mins at 350. It's easier than it sounds, it's delicious (and if you're making one, you might aswell make a few to put in the freezer for lazy days!)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:05 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Don't they have a song about how much the singer loves his grandma's mashed potatoes? I saw them in Amsterdam. They were great!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:01 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Thanks for all the ideas. I really like the band, too... so very much looking forward to the whole thing.

Calzones seem like another potential winner. Who doesn't like pizza based stuff? And tartes sound good. Possibly little ones cooked in muffin pans. Also, good call on the fresh fruits and veggies. It's probably nice to see something green after weeks of cheap take out.

I have to make like 4 pans of brownies the same night for something entirely different, so I'm gonna be a busy one. Luckily I have the boy as a sort of sous chef. Meaning he has to chop stuff (mostly onions, because they make me sad. Sob.) and get me stuff I need - "bring me the thing..... no the other thing!", etc.

Anyway, I shall let you all know how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:52 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

So, in the end I just made chocolate chip cookies and brownies, as the owner of a local restaurant/club/music venue offered to do the savoury food for free, and I was gonna be pushed for time, etc.

They went down really well, and the band were super nice. The Rev said that the fact we'd baked cookies and such made him feel at home, so mission accomplished, I guess. He had a photo taken with me and Becca (who works at the record shop and made the heart shortbreads) and Tweetered it or whatever. That's me on the left:

The show was pretty damn ace, also!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:53 am 
Inflexitarian

Yay! I was visiting this thread because I saw the pic on their facebook page and thought it must be you. Well done!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:58 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Aw. Awesome! Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:33 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Awesome! Glad to see Rev's still rocking that awesome beard. And today I learned what the Indiana flag looks like. Shocked you were able to find that on that side of the Atlantic.