| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 766 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Diner
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:10 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the apple coffee cake. omg tasty! I guess it's hard to go wrong with cake.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Made the cheezy mac tonight. It's smokey and so goooooood. New favorite vegan mac recipe.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:35 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made the chewy choc chip cookies!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:53 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I made the hamburger buns the other night. They were so easy and quick! I was kind of blown away. I see fewer store-bought buns in my future.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:06 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Pinko wrote:
I made the hamburger buns the other night. They were so easy and quick! I was kind of blown away. I see fewer store-bought buns in my future.

good to know! i've had my eyes on those!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:05 am 
WELFARIST!

bookwormbethie wrote:
Pinko wrote:

If you mean those cornbready type buns (I think she credits Melisser Elliot for them) I have my eye on them too--and her sloppy joes in the near future! And a fry recipe--probably a straight-up salty one.

I made her jambalaya recently (again) and absolutely loved it. I used three chorizo sausages (chorizo recipe from Viva Vegan!) rather than the two the recipe calls for because those sausages seem smaller than commercial sausages so I thought three was a better quantity when using those. It's a perfect weeknight (or weekend!) dinner party recipe, is super easy makes a ton and is relatively inexpensive to make and really tasty.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:19 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bookwormbethie wrote:
Pinko wrote:

P.S. this recipe required a stand mixer right? I don't have one. Did you make yours by hand?? Good ol' wooden spoonie and stirring like mad?!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:20 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

[quote="bookwormbethie"]I made the chewy choc chip cookies!

edited to add: my cookies got way hard the following day :( still edible and tasty, but I'm not sure what happened.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:32 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

bookwormbethie wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:
Pinko wrote:

P.S. this recipe required a stand mixer right? I don't have one. Did you make yours by hand?? Good ol' wooden spoonie and stirring like mad?!

Yeah, the plain hamburger buns (not the cornbread ones) do call for a stand mixer. I used mine but you could definitely knead them by hand instead. Using the stand mixer made them like zero work, though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:23 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

That's weird - my cookies get softer as they get stale, not softer.

The *only* recipe I haven't liked in this book (and I've made a good 1/2, at least, of this book!) was for the hamburger buns - but I think this could just be a regional difference? They were a bit "crackery" on the outside for my tastes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:45 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Huh, weird. Mine weren't cracker-like at all. They were super soft. But I skipped the soymilk wash/sesame seeds step and I put them pretty close together once they were shaped, so they were touching after they rose. Maybe that made a difference?

I made the chocolate chip cookies last night. They are really tasty and definitely chewy, but I think the VCIYCJ ones are still my holy grail. I liked the slight nuttiness from the flax in these, though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:14 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I got this from my library today, and I can't wait to make many of the breads, like the rosemary buns, hamburger buns, English muffins, and cinnamon bread, and the great smoky mountain cheese for sure. Based on the great reviews people in this thread have given it. Also nice selection of seitan seasoned in ways I haven't done before. I may end up buying it after trying some of these things, cause it doesn't look like I can make all the things I want before the library will want it back.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:51 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mattomic wrote:
That's weird - my cookies get softer as they get stale, not softer.

The *only* recipe I haven't liked in this book (and I've made a good 1/2, at least, of this book!) was for the hamburger buns - but I think this could just be a regional difference? They were a bit "crackery" on the outside for my tastes.

yeah, that's cuz i was having a way weird day and put my cookies on top of my ice pak in my lunch box. such a 'duh' moment i had after i figured it out! the cookies are totally fine. i've made a couple more batches since then and the cookies stay nice and soft and chewy in their tupperware container for the few days that they last in the house ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:52 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

vegetable_assassin wrote:
I got this from my library today, and I can't wait to make many of the breads, like the rosemary buns, hamburger buns, English muffins, and cinnamon bread, and the great smoky mountain cheese for sure. Based on the great reviews people in this thread have given it. Also nice selection of seitan seasoned in ways I haven't done before. I may end up buying it after trying some of these things, cause it doesn't look like I can make all the things I want before the library will want it back.

amazon.com has it discounted for $12.36, it's worth every penny!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:29 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I finally made the smoky soy curls with the soy curls I brought back from Montreal. They were very good, better than I expected I admit. I had an SLT in a pita with veganaise and it was delicious. I think I ate half the recipe, though, and I needed about 2 litres of water to combat the salt :-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I want to make the cornbread waffles tonight but I'm a bit unsure of what yellow corn flour to use- is it supposed to be a masa harina-type flour?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:39 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Erinnerung wrote:
I want to make the cornbread waffles tonight but I'm a bit unsure of what yellow corn flour to use- is it supposed to be a masa harina-type flour?

Yes Erin, it is. The brand I use is from Bob's Red Mill. It's probably the same as masa harina, but I'm not positive. Bob's sells it as two different products.

Hope that helps!

Julie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:08 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Thanks! I went with my guess and made them with masa harina and they turned out great.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:15 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Erinnerung wrote:
Thanks! I went with my guess and made them with masa harina and they turned out great.

Awesome Erin! Good to know that it works with masa harina.

Julie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:13 am 

I am just about to tuck into a bowl of the Quick & Hearty Chili spooned over creamy mashed potato & chives. I did make a few changes...I used half a can of grated nutmeat because I don't like TVP, included celery & carrots because why not, & only used a teaspoon of chilil powder instead of a tablespoon & it's still pretty dang hot. I think standard chili powder in Australia is ground Thai chilies which are hotter & less fragrant than the yummy chili powder from New Mexico I just ran out of.

Oh yeah, & I used freshly cooked red beans instead of canned kidney beans, which meant it wasn't so quick but I really don't like canned beans.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:15 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I made the sage gravy and biscuits yesterday, but I used cashews blended with water instead of the soymilk and used only half the flour. It was SO good. It got suuuuper thick, so I think if you wanted this to be gluten and soy free you could skip the flour all together. I can't even believe how delicious it is!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:00 am 

Our chilli powder in Australia is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY hotter than the US stuff - I usually swap teaspoons for tablespoons (and I like things hot). Our chilli powder is pure super hot chilli.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:34 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

You can get an American-style chilli powder at Coles, it's called 'Mexican chilli' or something. I think it's a Masterfoods one. It's definitely not the same thing as ground chillies!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:06 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I made the great smoky mountain cheese and it's firming up in the fridge. How long do I have to wait? It says several hours. Does that mean overnight? How firm does it get? Do I have to wait?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:59 pm 

mattomic wrote:
Our chilli powder in Australia is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY hotter than the US stuff - I usually swap teaspoons for tablespoons (and I like things hot). Our chilli powder is pure super hot chilli.

Erinnerung wrote:
You can get an American-style chilli powder at Coles, it's called 'Mexican chilli' or something. I think it's a Masterfoods one. It's definitely not the same thing as ground chillies!

I agree with the teaspoon for tablespoon rule too! I like things spicy, but any more than that & you just can't taste anything but searing heat! I didn't know about the American-style chilli powder - I'll take a look next time I'm at Coles - thanks! I usually buy the Los Chileros Ancho or Chipotle chile powder online, & even the hot blend is nowhere near as hot as Thai chillies. We also have a fantastic food importer warehouse near us that has just started stocking Central & South American products (including PAN corn meal - it's the only place I've ever found it) & I bought some Peruvian sun-dried red hot pepper paste & it is the most incredible addition to absolutely anything - chocolatey, tobaccoey & rich (but not hot at all!) - I love it! I wish we had a better range of chillies & peppers in Australia - we're missing out!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 766 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 31  Next