| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12980 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 520  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

karichelle wrote:
creep wrote:
lilyyw wrote:

Whaaaaaaat? I have the regular chai in my cabinet right now. It doesn't say anything about dairy. It does say "natural flavors," but who would assume that would mean milk?! uuuuggghhhhhhh.

I'll probably be a bad vegan and finish them off and just never buy them again. This sucks.

I'm pretty sure they have to declare on the allergen warning if the "natural flavors" are dairy-based. The Weight Watchers oatmeal is like that -- no dairy ingredient listed, but it's in the allergen warning.

But they're listed under the non-vegan list. So is it crushed up bugs or other dead things or what? Ewww.

Edit: That page says "trace ingredients" and "do not contain milk protein," so maybe they don't have to list it as an allergen.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:01 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Why the fork would you butter olives? That's just weird.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:01 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Oh well, since I'm personally not worried about trace ingredients, I guess we'll keep buying the big variety packs of tea at Sam's Club and be bad vegans. :p

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:33 pm 
Grandfathered In

Is "trace ingredients" different from "produced on shared equipment"?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:53 pm 
Dead by dawn

dropscone wrote:
Why the fork would you butter olives? That's just weird.

I know! We ended up some place for a cocktail one night and the only thing on the menu we could order to nibble on was the plate of "warm castrelvano [sp?] olives" so we got some. Biker boy tasted one and warned me to lick one before I ate it because he thought they had butter on them. I was all like "Ew, no. I won't know what butter tastes like any more anyway" so I smelled them and that was inconclusive. Finally I touched my finger to the plate and tasted it... totally, unmistakably butter. And so he ate all the olives and I was sad and we decided that place was stupid. Because bathing olives in melted butter is just wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:07 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

FootFace wrote:
Is "trace ingredients" different from "produced on shared equipment"?

Yeah, I think so. It seems to be an actual ingredient, not just something it might have come into contact with:

Quote:
Some Bigelow Teas contain a flavor or flavors with a trace amount of butter fatty acids (butter esters) as a sub-ingredient. These flavors are not Vegan and are classified as Kosher Dairy in accordance with Kosher practices and certification requirements, although they do not contain milk protein.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:01 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

My pet peeve at the moment is this ... "So you dont eat meat, drink milk, or eat cheese?... Well then how come you're fat?"

I get asked this more often than I should, and its almost always by strangers...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:46 am 
Not NOT A Furry

SpiceMiner wrote:
My pet peeve at the moment is this ... "So you dont eat meat, drink milk, or eat cheese?... Well then how come you're fat?"

I get asked this more often than I should, and its almost always by strangers...

"Because I feast on the souls of my human victims..?"
I can't believe anyone would ever say that, it's astounding!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:13 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

SpiceMiner wrote:

What the what? What is wrong with those people?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:19 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

SpiceMiner wrote:
"Every time I fork your mum she gives me a biscuit"

is what I would say if that wasn't so disrespectful.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:33 am 
Flounceiad 2011

SpiceMiner wrote:
"So you weren't raised by wolves in a cave? Then how come you're so incredibly rude?"

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:37 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Gulliver wrote:
SpiceMiner wrote:
"Every time I fork your mum she gives me a biscuit"

is what I would say if that wasn't so disrespectful.

I laughed out loud for a solid 3 minutes when I read that... I think it’s safe to say I Roared out loud (ROL?)

I often wish I could say things like that to people, but I can’t bring myself to... I always have to be proper and polite, it’s a curse.

I’m used to the "but where do you get your protein?" or "but what do you eat?" but this one catches me off guard every time lol. I’m not even that fat, I am definitely fluffy, but I’m not huuuge... I guess people just expect vegans to be emaciated?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:57 am 
Inflexitarian

SpiceMiner wrote:
I guess people just expect vegans to be emaciated?

*Exact* quote from a friend: "I always forget that you're vegan because you're not malnourished and emaciated."

Um... thanks?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:56 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

The no-oil brigade can fork right off.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:03 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Going over my friend's house and her telling me, "We don't have anything you'll eat." And then I read the ingredients and within a couple minutes, there's plenty of things I can have. It's cool but she does it every time. I can read...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:15 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/benny-b ... 1007723982

Really?? 0_0

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:17 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

stuckunderhere wrote:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/benny-brontosaurus-goes-to-a-party-l-everett-farnsworth/1007723982

Really?? 0_0

Quick, check Amazon!:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0972834052/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:30 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Ok, so this might sound weird, but my vegan pet peeve is calling meat eaters "omnies". or omnivores.

I think it just makes them sound so nice, and agreeable, and happy, and even superior! And subconsciously helps people keep seeing veganism as bad and unnatural and wrong.

As in,
"Oh, _I'M_ not one of those picky rude vegans who won't eat that "food" that you've so lovingly prepared! _I'M_ a lovely polite happy OMNIVORE who can eat anything and not be a pain!" "Humans are natural omnivores, so i am wonderful." "You vegans are the ones who are wrong."

Well, I just think we should call them "meat eaters", or something that doesn't sugarcoat it.
I don't think that is rude or anything. I don't know who came up with calling them omnivores. Did it come from that omnivores dilemma book?

oh well, thanks for listening - It is just so annoying to me!
Peace Out!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:36 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I do agree that "omnis" sounds a little cutesy. But omnivores is what they are, so I don't know. Hard to develop a solid argument against that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:36 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Hm, that's really interesting. I use omni all the time because I think it's more accurate than meat eater (or carnivore, which everyone seems to use and is not correct!). My family eats meat, dairy, shellfish, eggs, honey, in other words, a lot more than just meat. Plus, a lot of people don't even think of themselves as omnivores...my co-workers call themselves "normal". So when I use that term it feels like I'm leveling the playing field a bit -- no, you're not "normal", you eat an omnivorous diet and I eat a vegan diet. We all have labels.

I do see how it's cutesy sounding and maybe even makes them sound more friendly, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. It depends on your audience. I would rather refer to my loved ones, for example, as omni, rather than meat- (or flesh-) eater or something else that sounds combative.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:42 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

The viewing of omni as the norm doesn't really have anything to do with the word itself. It has to do with social norms.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:46 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yes, but language is important. Calling someone an omnivore can have the sense of making vegan a less marked category.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:52 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

But omnivores are what they are and what they practice. I don't know anyone who only eats meat. They usually eat grains, vegetables, and fruits too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:04 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Fee wrote:
But omnivores are what they are and what they practice. I don't know anyone who only eats meat. They usually eat grains, vegetables, and fruits too.

yeah i use the term "omni" but mainly only when talking to other vegans. I've heard people use the word "meat-eater" but only when they're discussing dietary needs when out with a mixed group or something like that. I don't see anything wrong with saying either, but I don't think that vegans should refer to omnivores as meat-eaters just to shame them, or something.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:02 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

If I use the word "omni" or omnivore people look at me like I am crazy town. it is kind of a vegan word, no?

I mean, in the past, I only used it to discuss animals and what they ate. The word did not apply to humans until I became vegan and started going on vegan forms/websites/blogs/cookbooks etc.

I don't see a problem with it, but I do see where calcio777 is coming from. But at the same time, I don't try to shame anyone with negative terms about what they eat. I will however refer to myself as a herbivore sometimes. It makes me sound like an awesome dinosaur.

Interesting though, I never really thought about it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12980 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 520  Next