| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 380, 381, 382, 383, 384, 385, 386 ... 630  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:25 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I've stopped speaking with my boss about issues, because this guy and my boss are friends. Also, my boss is kind of the type of guy to say, "just ignore it", and also he makes inappropriate comments about different things; like stereotyping women. It's hard enough as it is, because I had a breakdown at work a couple weeks ago and everyone was already being all, "we all have bad days, you'll get over it", and other really insensitive comments.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:28 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

paprikapapaya wrote:
I've stopped speaking with my boss about issues, because this guy and my boss are friends. Also, my boss is kind of the type of guy to say, "just ignore it", and also he makes inappropriate comments about different things; like stereotyping women. It's hard enough as it is, because I had a breakdown at work a couple weeks ago and everyone was already being all, "we all have bad days, you'll get over it", and other really insensitive comments.

Being bullied at work is miserable. I had a supervisor at a previous job who was so forking mean that he made me cry on multiple occasions, and I don't really consider myself a "cryer," or whatever. One day I just left and didn't come back.

If there's really nothing that the management can do about it, do you have an HR department? Or can you look for something else?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:33 pm 

The sucky thing is I really love my job, but I'm on contract, and I basically have no rights. I'm trying to get hired permanently (and have been for the past 3.5 years...) so I'd have some leverage. I take comfort in knowing that this guy, and my boss, are both total douchebags to everyone and it's not just me (though the guy does seem to pick on me especially, but not exclusively).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:34 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Huge hugs, paprikapapaya. I'm not one for violence, but I wish I could kick that guy in the nuts for you. You know he's just intimidated by your talent. A lot of time middle-aged men are just really defensive against talented young women. There are gender stereotype things and then age things. I'm not sure if this is making sense. I guess I just try to tell myself to continue to do good work and be professional when confronted with a patronizing crasshole.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:45 pm 

It does make sense to me, and that is exactly what it is. This jerk co-worker has spent his career avoiding work and inflating his ego by telling people he's a web designer, and that the other graphic designers can't possibly do the work he does, because it's so difficult. Then I came in, and my actual educational background is programming/web stuff, and I've just picked up illustration/graphic design/photography. So, I'm basically the real deal of what he pretends to be. So yeah, he hates me, and makes it known as often as he can. I smile knowing that he probably has a bunch of stomach ulcers, because he's a big ball of rage filled with black bile all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:53 pm 
Married to the wolfman

PP, that is awful. I know you know the guy is a douchenozzle. Sometimes I'm floored by how little the average person seems to know/care about panic disorders. Sorry your boss isn't more supportive.

My worst thing is that I have a miserable cold and went to bed early... And then between a massive sinus headache that kept waking me up and a slightly fussy baby who woke me up in between, I slept pretty much not at all. I have obligations I absolutely have to meet today, so I couldn't just ask my partner to stay home while I languished in bed.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:01 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

That sounds rotten hun. I have kind of the same deal at work. I'm constantly told to "leave things in the past" but it is kind of impossible when I am going to have to work with the source of my problems again and everyone else thinks it is a joking matter. Then I get pissy remarks and get ignored after I come back off sick leave and basically pressurised into working even though I'm at the stage where I am a liability at work. I was so bad the other day that I nearly ended up hospitalised. The doctor even considered sectioning me but in the end trusted me. And all that is thanks to bullying.

People go on and on about bullying in schools but adult bullying is such a taboo topic even though it is every where.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:35 pm 
Naked Under Apron

My car just stopped running today. I was driving through a prison at the time, and I didn't have my cell phone with me. I ended up walking back to a construction site that I'd just passed and borrowing a cell phone from one of the construction guys to call AAA. A tow truck came and towed me to the dealership, where I left the car with the service people all afternoon. Turned out the problem was that my fuel gauge was stuck -- it was telling me that I had a quarter of a tank left, when the tank was actually empty.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:45 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I had a lot of tests to do and I didn't finish my first draft for English (not a big deal, but I feel like a poop).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:46 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I'm going to change mine for today. I got back the results of the exam I took last week and it was as bad as I expected. I got a 12. Out of 24. Oof.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:52 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

The wonderful girl who I work with just broke up with her abusive boyfriend, which is a very good thing, but the stories she has been telling me break my heart. I've cried 10+ times today. I am so happy she finally let go of him, but I am absolutely enraged about how he treated her. And believe me, this can't be a one-sided thing--this woman just wants everyone to be happy and couldn't find it in her to leave him because she was so ashamed of herself.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:17 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

vijita wrote:
The wonderful girl who I work with just broke up with her abusive boyfriend, which is a very good thing, but the stories she has been telling me break my heart. I've cried 10+ times today. I am so happy she finally let go of him, but I am absolutely enraged about how he treated her. And believe me, this can't be a one-sided thing--this woman just wants everyone to be happy and couldn't find it in her to leave him because she was so ashamed of herself.

If she's needing support or concerned at all about her safety you could encourage her to contact the Victoria Women's Sexual Assault Centre--they also work with women who've experienced intimate partner violence and can provide emotional support, counseling and help with any safety concerns--(250) 383-3232.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:25 pm 
Dead by dawn

I got a letter from the IRS saying they've completed review of my 2010 return and I owe them $1,000. They are demonstrably wrong, but I just get the sense that this is going to suck before it's resolved. Supposedly they are a kinder, gentler IRS than they used to be but I will believe that when I gather up all the crepe they want and they send me a letter saying they accept my return as submitted.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:22 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I'm really angry at someone right now and it's bleeding over into the whole rest of my life. It's one of my closest friends, and normally I would just tell someone if I were angry at them, but I feel like the amount of how angry I am is so much bigger than the amount of how angry I should be, that anything I would say to them about it if I brought it up would just make the situation sooooooooo much worse. But I can't just sit around being angry much longer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:14 am 

j-dub wrote:
vijita wrote:

If she's needing support or concerned at all about her safety you could encourage her to contact the Victoria Women's Sexual Assault Centre--they also work with women who've experienced intimate partner violence and can provide emotional support, counseling and help with any safety concerns--(250) 383-3232.

Thanks! She is remarkably self-aware and has already contacted a counsellor, but I will pass on this information as well. This just breaks my heart, and brings back a lot of painful memories.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:20 am 

monkeytoes wrote:
I got a letter from the IRS saying they've completed review of my 2010 return and I owe them $1,000. They are demonstrably wrong, but I just get the sense that this is going to suck before it's resolved. Supposedly they are a kinder, gentler IRS than they used to be but I will believe that when I gather up all the crepe they want and they send me a letter saying they accept my return as submitted.

Oh my god, every single year BC MSP (Medical Services Plan) tells me I owe them $1000. And every single year I make dozens and dozens of phone calls to prove that I don't. It is exhausting, mostly because I take on the idea of debt with a lot of guilt, and I hate making phone calls. I know, I know, first world problem.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:01 am 
Dead by dawn

vijita wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

Oh my god, every single year BC MSP (Medical Services Plan) tells me I owe them $1000. And every single year I make dozens and dozens of phone calls to prove that I don't. It is exhausting, mostly because I take on the idea of debt with a lot of guilt, and I hate making phone calls. I know, I know, first world problem.

Ugh, bureaucracy and red tape.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:17 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Maybe I just feel too entitled, but I feel like if THEY make a mistake that takes up that much of YOUR time to fix it, they need to give you something in return. Like, "Sorry for the inconvenience, here's all your moneys back!"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:51 am 
WRETCHED

monkeytoes wrote:

It was totally my fault but the year before last, I forgot to file my federal taxes. You'd think they'd send you a note sometime near April 15th. I got a note 6 months later and the fees had piled up because it was 6 months later versus sooner. The error was that I had done electronic taxes but somehow had an error when I tried to submit my federal so I just did state and then I forgot. Honest mistake but ended up paying $500 in late fees. I had never not filed my taxes before so I was hoping they'd waive the fee but nope.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:58 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Not my worst thing, per se, but my boyfriend didn't get the promotion he was already told he'd receive.
From that bigboxchainmusicstoreofevil I used to work at. Yet another reason I can irrationally (and rationally) hate the people in charge. Same dude who told me "You think you're supposed to like your job? I hate going to work!" is the same guy who took it away from him, without speaking with the store manager. I feel so bad for him; he was really looking forward to moving forward with the company, already had the start date pushed back, and then this.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:58 pm 

celine wrote:

I was all set to try the bent paperclip method first, problem is I can't even remove the stopper from the sink. It's like it was super-glued in there somehow, and I ran out of super-strength a long time ago. This is why I usually let the fine maintenance folks do that stuff for me. (That, and I'm a wimp. Last time they dropped by to work on the bath tub, even the bad-ass dude was gagging at what he removed from the drain.)

ugh yeah, the top of the drain thing in my sink unscrews and then i use the paperclip (or maybe now a crochet hook) to get the gunk from around the grooves. ewwwwww

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:25 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I had a mole removed (which is good) but was told I can't rock climb for 2 weeks! 2 weeks! How do they expect someone to not exercise for 2 weeks? I also asked about running, kayaking, and kickboxing (my 3 back-up activities).
Of course, I'm going to disregard this piece of medical advice and just climb easier and more carefully for the next two weeks and hope I don't pop the stitches. It's on my back, I don't really care what the scar looks like.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:38 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Found a bunch of little bugs in my barely after adding some to my pot of soup. Yuck.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:29 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

Pi. wrote:
I had a mole removed (which is good) but was told I can't rock climb for 2 weeks! 2 weeks! How do they expect someone to not exercise for 2 weeks? I also asked about running, kayaking, and kickboxing (my 3 back-up activities).
Of course, I'm going to disregard this piece of medical advice and just climb easier and more carefully for the next two weeks and hope I don't pop the stitches. It's on my back, I don't really care what the scar looks like.

hahah, I had basically this exact situation. I was doing good, but SUDDENLY OUT OF NOWHERE a jumping castle appeared at uni. FOR FREE. what was I going to do? not jump on it? pfffft. anyway, boring story even more boring, my stitches popped in about 4 seconds.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:06 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

How have I lived in Portland for four years and never bought rain gear? Oh and before Portland I lived in Vancouer, BC...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 380, 381, 382, 383, 384, 385, 386 ... 630  Next