| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 768 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:28 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

rhelune wrote:
Does anybody use this pie plate:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60133035/

Does Cosmos apple pie fit into it with all the filling?

That's a Swedish pie plate i.e. what you Americans call a tart pan, so my guess would be no. Actually, the lack of a deep dish pie plate (and kitchen scales) is probably why I haven't really gotten around to using this book yet! American pies are insanely huge by European standards.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:27 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I hope I don't have to order a deep dish pie plate from the US...

I use this casserole, the bigger one:
http://www.whiskandmash.com/cooking/pot ... -dish.html

With it I don't get the mountain on top, after baking it's actually a few cm lower than the dish.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:48 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

rhelune wrote:

Ah. I didn't check your location, I just saw that the IKEA link was for the American site. I think someone on here used a cakepan. My problem besides the lack of proper equipment is that I wouldn't be able to eat the entire thing on my own! I need something that would fit a halved recipe or something like that, I think.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:28 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Question on the Coconut Cream Pie...I don't have the book in front of me, but I think the recipe calls for coconut extract. If so, is it ok to use coconut flavor? That's the only thing I can find.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:39 am 
Not NOT A Furry

fruitbat wrote:
rhelune wrote:

Ah. I didn't check your location, I just saw that the IKEA link was for the American site. I think someone on here used a cakepan. My problem besides the lack of proper equipment is that I wouldn't be able to eat the entire thing on my own! I need something that would fit a halved recipe or something like that, I think.

I could eat the whole pie on my own. It would take 3 days, but I could do it :)

I have a springform pan, but the problem is that the side walls are vertical. That's one of the problems with the Pyrex dish I use, too. I have to cut the rolled dough to fit it inside, or it partly overlaps.

The other problem is: I make lattice on top, and then I have to turn it over to cool (so it doesn't get soggy in the dish). I don't turn it again because I'm afraid it would break. So I cut it that way, lattice on bottom. A pie plate with removable bottom would solve that problem.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:10 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I don't usually get pies out of the pan they are baked in. They don't really get soggy. Doesn't the whole thing fall apart when you turn it upside down?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:46 am 
Not NOT A Furry

No, I put a serving plate on the top of the casserole dish and then turn it upside down.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

fruitbat wrote:
rhelune wrote:

That's a Swedish pie plate i.e. what you Americans call a tart pan, so my guess would be no. Actually, the lack of a deep dish pie plate (and kitchen scales) is probably why I haven't really gotten around to using this book yet! American pies are insanely huge by European standards.

I made some stuff in a tart pan during testing, just because it was a little while before I bought a proper (giant!) ceramic pie dish. I didn't try the cosmos apple pie in it, but I used it for the strawberry and rhubarb pie with no issues. It was just a bit of a balancing act, with the filling piled up super high. I don't mind having tall pies!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:01 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

fruitbat wrote:
rhelune wrote:

I'm not sure about the apple...but that's the size I used for the pecan pie and pear frangipane.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:26 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Thank you! I guess I need a tart pan with removable bottom, too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:07 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

What do y'all think about making the Manhattan Mud Pie with soy or almond milk in place of the chocolate liqueur in the pudding layer? I have coffee liqueur for the bottom layer but I can't really buy yet another bottle of booze!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

jojo wrote:
What do y'all think about making the Manhattan Mud Pie with soy or almond milk in place of the chocolate liqueur in the pudding layer? I have coffee liqueur for the bottom layer but I can't really buy yet another bottle of booze!

I had to go back and check, but I just used more coffee liqueur in the pudding layer when I made it during testing since I couldn't find any vegan chocolate liqueur here. It was good!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:01 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Erinnerung wrote:
jojo wrote:

I had to go back and check, but I just used more coffee liqueur in the pudding layer when I made it during testing since I couldn't find any vegan chocolate liqueur here. It was good!

Oh awesome, I think I'll do that then! Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:06 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I made Appleberry pie yesterday. My frozen berry mix contained red and black currants, too. I increased the amount of cornstarch as suggested. I baked it in a springform cake pan. I let it cool for half an hour in it. I ran a plastic knife (the pan is supposed to be non-stick, so I don't want to damage it) around the pie and removed the sides. But, when I removed them, I saw that the crust was broken at bottom and some juice (which hasn't gelified yet) leaked through it.

The pie is very tasty. Only one piece is left, I'm doing all I can to save it for my bf :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:35 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Made Cosmos Apple Pie this week and it turned out lovely! No issues with the filling nor crust, though the crust-making part did take me forever following the instructions and tips to a tee not to mess it up epically. I even managed to make a pretty braided edge, which didn't burn in the oven. Pure sweet comfort with a scoopful of vanilla icea cream!

I've also made Banoffee pie (rich and sticky mmm) and Blueberry Bliss cheesecake (creamy with a berry burst) with equally great results. An awesome book, not surprisingly!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:41 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I use DIY crust protector made of aluminium foil for Cosmos Apple Pie. I didn't need it for Appleberry Pie.

Which crust did you use? I have tried only Buttery Double Crust. I use coconut oil instead of shortening. I know it's pure saturated fat, but it makes lovely crusts. I also use alcohol instead of water, I have some apple rakia that needs to be used up, and I don't drink it (my parents distil their own alcohol, it's legal here). But, both my friend and my boyfriend said the crust tastes too alcoholly :/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:39 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I made the lemon mousse pie (I did one 9" springform) for the first time yesterday and it was phenomenal. It is such a science experiment type of recipe, I was concerned that the mousse wouldn't firm up enough and that the topping would be too jelled, but both were perfect and balanced each other beautifully. A big hit with my book club and the host's children.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:19 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I made pumpkin pie for the first time ever (also the first time I ate it) and used the recipe from this book. It turned out so awesome that although I don't know how it's "supposed" to be, I can't believing that this wasn't perfect! Good texture (nor gummy nor runny) and the taste was awesome. I made the puffy pie dough due to not having any shortening. Perfect, perfect! Need to make more pies.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:43 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

rhelune wrote:
I made Appleberry pie yesterday. My frozen berry mix contained red and black currants, too. I increased the amount of cornstarch as suggested. I baked it in a springform cake pan. I let it cool for half an hour in it. I ran a plastic knife (the pan is supposed to be non-stick, so I don't want to damage it) around the pie and removed the sides. But, when I removed them, I saw that the crust was broken at bottom and some juice (which hasn't gelified yet) leaked through it.

The pie is very tasty. Only one piece is left, I'm doing all I can to save it for my bf :)

I don't think that most pies are meant to come out of the pan they're baked in unless it's specified in the recipe. I feel like fruit pies are almost always too juicy to come out of a pan neatly.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:28 am 
Not NOT A Furry

The book says, on the page 17: "Tart pans with non-removable bottoms work okay, but it's nearly impossible to get nice, clean slices out of them.", so I concluded I need to remove the springform pan sides before slicing (otherwise I wouldn't be able to stick my cake spatula under the pie).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:49 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm embarrassed that I've had this book since it came out and still haven't tried one recipe - pie intimidates me! I've sworn to my family that I'm going to try my hand at pie baking over Christmas this year - what's a tried and true recipe that I absolutely must make?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:31 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I made the pumpkin cheesecake this weekend and hot damn, it is amazing. I was lukewarm about the blueberry bliss cheesecake, but this, this is somethin' else. My omnivore roommate approved. Personally I love the topping, it's like an extra crust on top! And I want to make the graham crust thicker next time. Still, what a totally excellent recipe!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:59 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I can't decide which one (or two) to make for Thanksgiving. Help!?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:57 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

veggiepalooza wrote:
I can't decide which one (or two) to make for Thanksgiving. Help!?

I'm making the Pumpkin Cheesecake and the Cosmos Apple Pie! I've made the pumpkin one many times. It's great. I usually skip the "swirling" step, though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:12 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm making the maple pecan pie and 2 of the pumpkin cheesecake, the pumpkin one I made for a family dinner about 4 months ago and it was gone in under 10mins so I figured I should just make two to ensure leftovers.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 768 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 31  Next