| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Diner
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:58 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Karena wrote:
We also have a fantastic food importer warehouse near us that has just started stocking Central & South American products (including PAN corn meal - it's the only place I've ever found it) & I bought some Peruvian sun-dried red hot pepper paste & it is the most incredible addition to absolutely anything - chocolatey, tobaccoey & rich (but not hot at all!) - I love it! I wish we had a better range of chillies & peppers in Australia - we're missing out!

Oooh, where is this? I'll be in Adelaide next week so I'm keen to check it out. Feel free to PM me if you don't want people to know which suburb you're in or whatever! We have one gourmet ingredient place in Canberra with a surprisingly decent little Latin American section, but I still order a lot online from Monterrey or Fireworks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:44 am 
Inflexitarian

Erinnerung wrote:
Oooh, where is this? I'll be in Adelaide next week so I'm keen to check it out. Feel free to PM me if you don't want people to know which suburb you're in or whatever! We have one gourmet ingredient place in Canberra with a surprisingly decent little Latin American section, but I still order a lot online from Monterrey or Fireworks.

Never heard of Fireworks before! I also buy liquid smoke from USA Foods online. The place I mentioned is just west of town, not too far out http://www.gaganisbros.com.au/ They have an enormous range of really cheap beans, pulses, nuts, grains, spices, all that kind of thing, smallish but comprehensive sections for different national cuisines, & a pretty good kitchenware section. Just around the block from there is Omega Foods, which is smaller, but also worth a look while you're in the area http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/om ... /hindmarsh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:02 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

In Adelaide, I was buying liquid smoke from one of the Asian Markets in China town. i can't remember the name of the shop, but it's the long, skinny one which is on a corner.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:21 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Karena wrote:
Never heard of Fireworks before! I also buy liquid smoke from USA Foods online. The place I mentioned is just west of town, not too far out http://www.gaganisbros.com.au/ They have an enormous range of really cheap beans, pulses, nuts, grains, spices, all that kind of thing, smallish but comprehensive sections for different national cuisines, & a pretty good kitchenware section. Just around the block from there is Omega Foods, which is smaller, but also worth a look while you're in the area http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/om ... /hindmarsh

Awesome, thanks! You can get liquid smoke from that place downstairs from David Jones in the city, I used to get it there before I moved (pretty sure they just get it from USA Foods too, so I'm not sure if the price would be any different). I always go back there when I'm in Adelaide just to stock up on Frank's hot sauce!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:01 am 
Inflexitarian

Thanks! I'll check both of those places out. I've never had Frank's hot sauce before!

I know which Asian shop you mean Poesie, I tend to go there every few weeks so I'll take a look next time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:10 am 
Saggy Butt

Has anyone made the Apple Crumb Pie? I've made it twice so far, liked it both times. I took it to Thanksgiving and no one liked it. When I mentioned lemon zest in it they thought that was it. Personally I can't taste it.

I thought the apples were maybe why, I used local grown lovely Melrose apples that have a bit of a floral flavor/scent that maybe some people wouldn't like. Oh well, more pie for me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:09 pm 
Nailed to the V

I've made this pie several times and have loved it, although I always leave the lemon zest out so that could be an unexpected taste for some?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:47 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I made the Smoky Seitan Roast the other day, which was only my second attempt at seitan, and a resounding success. It went really well with some zuurkoolstamppot (potatoes mashed with sauerkraut, traditionally served with smoked sausage) and gravy. I've also just been sawing hunks of it off and eating them smeared with ketchup whenever the mood strikes. I'm going to make sandwiches today with slices of this and the leftover sauerkraut. (It'll be like a makeshift Reuben.)

Can't wait to try more of the seitan recipes in here. (I've already done the Herbed Breakfast Sausage Patties, which I loved!)

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

OMG we made the chili this evening for dinner. AMAZING! the only changes we made were (1) omitting the cocoa powder and (2) we used a 14-ish ounce can of muir glen fire roasted diced tomatoes with green chilies and we did not puree them. my not vegan hubby LOVED this chili and so did I!!!

we also made the choc chip cookies again this afternoon and they were awesome. i did need to add an extra TBS or so of soy milk to get the dough to come together, but i think that has more to do with the temperature/humidity factor as i don't recall having to do this in the early fall..... anyway, the cookies are fantastic!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:36 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

How amazing are Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes? They turn blah meals into fantastic meals.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:34 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mattomic wrote:
How amazing are Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes? They turn blah meals into fantastic meals.

i know, right?! i ♥ the fire roasted-ness. always worth the extra price.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:36 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The creamy tomato dressing is insanely good. I used a few tbl of hemp oil instead of the regular oil and, I want to eat it on everything.

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:35 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

It's cold today and I felt like having some comfort food. I made the Home-Style Loaf and Rich Brown Gravy (with Caulipots!). Wow, so good! I like that I didn't have to sauté the celery and onions-just mix everything and bake. And that might be the easiest gravy recipe I've ever made. Now if I could just drag my stuffed self back into the kitchen to do the dishes..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:53 am 
Ninja Master

I made the chicken style roast for my chrimbo dinner today. I was wondering why it smelt so aniseedy when it wasn't last time. I went to check my bottle to see if it had fennel in and realised id used 5 spice by mistake. Bahaha. Im gonna use 5 spice every time from now on it was shamazing!!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:13 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

chrimbo!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The two pepper gravy was a hit at Christmas lunch here yesterday! I don't think my German family realised that it was vegan, but everyone ended up taking that sauce rather than the non-vegan gravy on the table. I made the diner dressing to use as stuffing for the PPK blog seitan roast, and that was super good too!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

made the ooey-gooey brownies with the choc chips in the batter and icing on top. OMG, so good and so rich!

didn't have vanilla soymilk and just used regular and left out the almond extract.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

has anyone made the BBQ ribz on page 112?

i haven't ever realized worked with vital wheat gluten and/or made seitan yet. but we are due for some unseasonably warm weather next weekend and i thought this might be fun.

i'm just concerned at being able to lift the entire 8"x8" square of ribz out of the baking dish (i assume to use pryrex??) and onto the grill all in one piece. would it help to line the baking dish with foil so i can lift it out???

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:09 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

bookwormbethie wrote:

i haven't ever realized worked with vital wheat gluten and/or made seitan yet. but we are due for some unseasonably warm weather next weekend and i thought this might be fun.

i'm just concerned at being able to lift the entire 8"x8" square of ribz out of the baking dish (i assume to use pryrex??) and onto the grill all in one piece. would it help to line the baking dish with foil so i can lift it out???

I think lining the dish with foil would work--I did use a pyrex dish too. I didn't have any problems with the ribs sticking to the pan. I've made this recipe and I thought it was excellent, but I didn't grill them because I don't have a grill. I just baked them longer, after 30 minutes I poured the BBQ sauce on them and baked them 15 minutes longer or so.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

KrisB wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

I think lining the dish with foil would work--I did use a pyrex dish too. I didn't have any problems with the ribs sticking to the pan. I've made this recipe and I thought it was excellent, but I didn't grill them because I don't have a grill. I just baked them longer, after 30 minutes I poured the BBQ sauce on them and baked them 15 minutes longer or so.

hmm..... that is an interesting idea. i guess grilling them gives them the fun grill makes and maybe a smokey flavor if you use charcoal, we have a gas grill. maybe i'll just bake them all the way like you did......

do they have texture of the garden burger brand riblets? i used to buy those years ago, but when i went vegan this past summer i decided not to buy fake meat stuff unless i made it myself.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:28 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I make the ribs all the time, they're really easy so they're a pretty good introduction to seitan-making. I line the pan with foil anyway, because I'm lazy and don't want to clean the pan afterwards, but I just lift the ribs out with tongs. I've never found it difficult. I use a cast iron grill pan for the grilling part, but I just used a heavy frying pan for ages before I got the grill pan. Still good, even without the pretty little grill marks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:44 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

bookwormbethie wrote:

I used Pyrex and didn't line the dish. It wasn't a problem lifting them onto my outdoor grill. I wish I would have baked them just a little bit longer before grilling them, though, because I wanted them to be a tiny bit more done. Still, they were great and froze really well. I'm sure you'll love them! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:31 pm 
Saggy Butt

WOWOWOW - just walked out of the kitchen after making the Smokey Seitan Roast and the Smoked Cheese (sorry, can't remember actual recipe name).

The cheese mixture tastes SO rich and velvety and cheesy - more than the queso-type cashew-based sauces I've made exclusively up till now (since I swore off all commercial cheese replacements after repeated disappointment). I can't WAIT to try it after it sets up (planning to make the grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup tomorrow, since I have all the ingredients and will be home-bound and solo this weekend).

As for the seitan - AMAZING. I steamed it in the tea towel, and could not resist slicing off a sliver as it cooled, unwrapped, on the cutting board. Although it will firm up in the fridge, it was already so incredibly tasty, solid and meaty - so I sliced off some more, and sautéed it up till crispy outside, then layered it, with ketchup, on toasted Italian bread slices, coated in homemade mayo (Vegan Epicurean recipe is JUST like "real" mayo, at a fraction of the cost).

I cannot convey, in my limited vocabulary, the way this sandwich immediately tickled my long lost hamburger-loving pregan self (even with a bare fridge: no lettuce or tomato). And it achieved this feat so unexpectedly quickly (while I prepped the cheese and roasted some butternut - voila! It's edible pretty much right outta the steamer).

LOVING THIS BOOK - already! Thanx for all the recommendations.

(Tried to add a pic, but need to study up on that a bit more! Oops..)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:15 am 
Ninja Master

I've made the ribs, I didn't line the dish and they came out fine.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:56 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I so, so need to make the smokey seitan again!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 32  Next