| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:43 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

VWAV is the the 3rd vegan cookbook I purchased on the recommendation of a friend. I owe her big time. Been eating vegan for 2 months now and I am loving this book.

I made the Fronch Toast this weekend at work and gave my boss a plate also. I loved it and he was forced to admit it was "pretty good". High praise from the chef.

I made the Veggie Burgers early last week and they were super good. I should have cooked the TVP for a bit longer so they were a bit wet. But the flavor was spot on nom.

I just paused to go pull my Ginger Macadamia Coconut Carrot cake out of the oven. Smells divine. Hope to get it frosted tonight and have a slice for breakfast tomorrow. Because that's how I roll.

I have all the stuff to make the Seitan in the next few days. Really excited.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:34 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I bought several vegan cookbooks before I bought VWAV...needless to say...VWAV changed everything...the way I thought about vegan food, cooked it, imagined recipes...everything!

I have since bought nearly all of Isa and Terry's books, but the one I rely on the most and ALWAYS ALWAYS come back to is VWAV.
Mine is covered in stains and tattered, and the pages are folded and marked in, but I love this book so much.

If my house were on fire, I would grab my cats, important documents and this cookbook. It is the most down to earth, real, not-too-fancy-yet-still-keeps-things-interesting-and-delicious cookbook that I own. I cannot say enough good things about it. It is better than all the others combined (IMO).

D.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:04 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup: DIVINE. I think I may have an addiction to butternut squash. I love that there is chili in this recipe. I love a bit of heat in my soup.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:48 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

OMG...... Raspberry choc chip blondies are the business! I made them as a well done on finishing college for my newly qualified student and she adored them. I may have had some for breakfast.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:32 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Found my new PMS food.... choc chip pancakes. I'm pure blissed out right now. They have done more for me than months of anti-depressants.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:16 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Has anyone tried making the batter for the pumpkin waffles ahead of time? The night before? Just wondering if it could be done without sacrificing quality. I rarely feel like cooking when I first get up in the morning, and I generally wake up hungry. I could probably throw batter in the waffle iron and put some Tofurky tempeh bacon on the stove, but measuring and mixing is more than I want to do in the morning.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:54 am 
Level 7 Vegan

i haven't tried it, but i have no reason to doubt that it would be fine. i've heard that the last pancakes of a batch are often the best because the gluten in the batter has had a chance to relax.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

hi everyone. I just bought VwAV and I would like to make Isa's breakfast veggie chorizo recipe from page 20-21 in VwaV. However, among other things, the recipe calls for 1 cup TVP (I have the small kind) to 3 cups water. I know Isa is a mad genius but 3 cups of water seems like a lot.

Has anyone made this before? Any tips for me?

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:50 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I agree that seems like a lot when TVP is usually 1:1.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:43 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi! This is my first post here...indeed my first visit! I'm kind of perplexed. I made the crunchy peanut butter cookies, and they were anything but crunchy. They were sort of "sandy" and crumbled. Any ideas about what happened? This is one of my first vegan baking ventures, so I was bummed. They still all got eaten because they tasted great...it just didn't seem right! Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:47 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

oh no, that sucks that it was your first vegan baking ventures because that recipe just doesn't work for most people. it's like, the one recipe in all the isa/terry books that people consistently have issues with. Try the chocolate chip cookies in vwav or try these peanut butter blondies! http://www.theppk.com/2010/09/peanut-butter-blondies/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:34 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thanks! Good to know it isn't just me!! I'll persevere!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'd also like to add that I made Isa's puffy pillow pancakes and they were the bomb! LOVED THEM!!!

http://www.theppk.com/2011/12/puffy-pillow-pancakes/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:50 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I made the chocolate chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast this morning and they were awesome! It was like dessert for breakfast.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:51 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Zoey wrote:
I made the chocolate chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast this morning and they were awesome! It was like dessert for breakfast.

Aren't they the nicest thing ever? I need to go find some chocolate chips so I can have them again.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:48 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

bookwormbethie wrote:
hi everyone. I just bought VwAV and I would like to make Isa's breakfast veggie chorizo recipe from page 20-21 in VwaV. However, among other things, the recipe calls for 1 cup TVP (I have the small kind) to 3 cups water. I know Isa is a mad genius but 3 cups of water seems like a lot.

I have the European version and the quantities are the same so it must not be an error.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:47 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Isa Pizza and Raspberry Blackout Cake are favourites with my (non)vegan family! I made the cake this summer, and I think my roommate ate half of it. And he's a picky eater.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:40 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

daisychain wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

I have the European version and the quantities are the same so it must not be an error.

Yup, I'm sorry I ever doubted Isa's brilliance. The veggie chorizo (and her puffy pillow pancakes) were awesome last night!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:29 pm 
Saggy Butt

I made the Sparkled Ginger Cookies this afternoon, delicious! I also attempted to make the Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies. I had no peanut oil so just used canola, does peanut oil have magic properties? My CTC mix came up really wet, not rollable at all. I added extra flour and got it just rollable but I was frightened of adding too much flour to the mix and drying it out.

Next on the list if the Chocolate Chip Cookies, it's been ages since I made a choc chip cookie.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:15 pm 
Nailed to the V

Thanks to my local library sale, I bought this today for $1.00. I actually did a happy dance in the crowded aisle when I found it! I really don't know why they got rid of it because the couple they have are constantly on loan. Going to have to read this whole thread now and write a must-make list but I am going to add that Chorizo above to my meal this evening.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

darksideknitter wrote:
I made the Sparkled Ginger Cookies this afternoon, delicious! I also attempted to make the Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies. I had no peanut oil so just used canola, does peanut oil have magic properties? My CTC mix came up really wet, not rollable at all. I added extra flour and got it just rollable but I was frightened of adding too much flour to the mix and drying it out.

Next on the list if the Chocolate Chip Cookies, it's been ages since I made a choc chip cookie.

I made the chocolate thumbprint cookies today! I also used canola oil (no peanut oil on hand and plus I developed an adult food allergy to all nuts so peanut oil is definitely not an option for me). My CTC dough also came out wetter than I expected, but moistening my palms with water (like Isa suggested) did help me roll the dough into a ball. Then hubby dipped a spatula in water to flatten them out a bit. The CTC tasted freakn' fantastic, such a rich chocolaty taste! I would definitely make these cookies instead, but instead of using jam in the middles, I might just bake the choc cookies for the entire baking time and then just drizzle some homemade icing over them, hubby thought an orange flavored icing would go well with the rich chocolate flavor.

Glad to know the ginger cookies came out fantastic!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Jonny Guitar wrote:
Thanks to my local library sale, I bought this today for $1.00. I actually did a happy dance in the crowded aisle when I found it! I really don't know why they got rid of it because the couple they have are constantly on loan. Going to have to read this whole thread now and write a must-make list but I am going to add that Chorizo above to my meal this evening.

that is indeed worth a happy dance! I would have done the exact same thing. How did the chorizo turn out for you?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:17 am 
Nailed to the V

bookwormbethie wrote:

that is indeed worth a happy dance! I would have done the exact same thing. How did the chorizo turn out for you?

omg....it was awesome. I put it in with some penne, greens, beans and a light tom sauce (with lots of nooch) and it was sooooo good. It was one of those, "If I make another recipe, can I possible fit it into my stomach?"

Delicious!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

hi, everyone.

had a question about the tempeh sausage crumbles on page 22. was wondering if could sub TVP. basically do what i need to do to re-hydrate the TVP and then follow directions as isa wrote. didn't know if the TVP would dry out if it was cooked over medium heat until lightly browned for about 10 minutes.

then, i'd like to use the tvp crumbles in the the 'white bean and tempeh sausage gravy' on page 27.

what do y'all think? would the TVP substitute work??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bookwormbethie wrote:
hi, everyone.

had a question about the tempeh sausage crumbles on page 22. was wondering if could sub TVP. basically do what i need to do to re-hydrate the TVP and then follow directions as isa wrote. didn't know if the TVP would dry out if it was cooked over medium heat until lightly browned for about 10 minutes.

then, i'd like to use the tvp crumbles in the the 'white bean and tempeh sausage gravy' on page 27.

what do y'all think? would the TVP substitute work??

The texture would be softer, but I think it would be okay, since it doesn't really have to hold together or anything.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next