| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for a home for a cat
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:37 am 
ugh

My friend recently lost her mom, and she's trying to find a home for her mother's cat. Unfortunately my friend is allergic to cats, and her apartment doesn't allow them, so she's can't keep him. Cody is 13, neutered, vaccinated and fairly healthy, with the exception of some powdered meds he must take with his food to prevent constipation.

So far, every shelter my friend has contacted has told her that they can't take him because he's too old or they don't have room. I may be able to take him temporarily (have to check with my landlord) but I'm not sure he'd be a good fit since he's used to being an only cat (I have 3 cats already).

If you can help, please PM me!!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

Post subject: Re: Looking for a home for a cat
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:47 am 
Semen Strong

I don't know if this helps and I don't mean to be unhelpful, but I'm allergic to cats, but I can manage male cats and older cats.

Basically female cats secrete more of the allergen in their saliva as do older ones. I have horrible asthma attacks around young female cats, so there is no way I could foster those, but I fostered 2 older female cats and had no issues and now we have 2 young males. Basically I take Benedryl for the first 3 weeks and then my body seems to get used to the cat. Before then, without Benadryl or other anti-histamine, its runny noses and sneezing, but manageable for me.

A friend of mine started Pets for Life and its a free number in NYC you can call and get info on how to manage allergies etc, if your friend wants to try and keep the cat, even just for a bit to let the pressure off finding him a new home. You can reach them at 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., through the PFLNYC Hotline (917-468-2938)

Its really tough out there for older cats, even pretty ones like this guy, and I'm sure your friend wants to do the best for him as well. He's lost his mom, I hope he doesn't have to lose his home too.

I hope this reminds everyone to put plans for their animals in their wills. You never know when you're going to die, and it makes sense to plan for the babies you leave behind.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:16 am 
ugh

Thanks T-lish, I didn't know that about allergies. Unfortunately I don't think my friend will be able to keep him though, because of her apartment's restrictions on pets (though she is hiding him there now).

Good reminder about wills, I need to do that myself.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:23 am 
Semen Strong

Sorry this should read:
Tofulish wrote:
Basically female cats secrete more of the allergen in their saliva than do male ones and young cats secrete moreas dothan older ones.

Typing while breastfeeding :)

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:51 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Going to visit this cat today. PPK be ready to possibly answer all my newbie cat owner questions. <3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:56 am 
ugh

lillianp wrote:
Going to visit this cat today. PPK be ready to possibly answer all my newbie cat owner questions. <3

Good luck!!! I'm so happy you saw this!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:52 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

I saw you post about it on FB! I hope it works out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:58 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Can you tell I'm excited/nervous/etc????? Because I am. I have no idea.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:59 pm 
Semen Strong

You're going to do great! Older cats are wonderful and so underrated. They won't be chasing your feet and biting your toes :)

Hurrah for happy endings!