| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coconut Milk Powders?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:49 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi all! I'm new around these parts, but I came to look for some advice. I want to make chocolate malt cookies, and, of course, the only malted milk powder I know of out there right now is cow's milk. I'm more than willing to make my own malted "milk" powder, but I want to use coconut milk powder. I personally have a dietary sensitivity to soy so I'm trying to avoid soy milk powder.

Does anyone know of a coconut milk powder that does not contain any sort of milk derivative?

The cookies will eventually go to be a mix-in for a pumpkin spice ice cream. For the batch I am making today, I am just going to use some mini chocolate chips!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Post subject: Re: Coconut Milk Powders?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Where do you live? If you can find a large Asian grocery, that might be your best bet. I know I've seen some here (BC), but I can't remember where. Anyway, it exists!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:13 am 
Level 7 Vegan

You can just buy malt powder (with no milk in it) and use that. I've seen veganized recipes that replace malted milk powder with malt powder. I don't know where you'd get that, though...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:32 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

or what about using barley malt syrup/powder as the malt flavor and use a recipe that doesn't call for any type of milk powder.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:58 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

I've never found coconut milk powder without some sort of dairy derivative and I vaguely remember reading something last year about it not being possible for some reason, though I don't remember why or where I read that now. I agree with vegetalion about just using malt powder. Not sure where you're at, but if you can't find it at any stores near you, amazon probably has it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:05 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

we do have a brand here but it's a Brazilian brand, and I can't imagine you could find it outside Brazil or Argentina
http://www.lavioletera.com.br/en/produt ... -violetera
I don't have a packet in my pantry right now (tho i usually do) so can't double check, but i'm pretty sure that if i bought it before it was vegan.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:52 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i could have sworn that the brand i got a few years ago was chao thai, but the ingredients i found online had sodium caseinate in it. (either it's changed, or they have multiple varieties)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:22 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I have only found it once..and I've been to a large majority of Asian groceries in NYC. It did not taste good either. The one with sodium caseinate in it that I accidentally bought and used once was unfortunately much better :(

But yeah, barley malt for your cookies!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:42 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I too was once searching high and low for a powdered coconut milk that didn't contain sodium caseinate. Chaokoh, Maggi, and all other brands I've seen have it. I did find one, however, that doesn't contain any: It's called Coco King and it's distributed by Eastland Food Corp. in the US. It contains Coconut and Glucose syrup. The taste is ok, not spectacular. I'm also not crazy about glucose syrup and that it adds unnecessary sugar (though it is surprisingly not really sweet).
And btw, I got it at H-Mart, a Korean supermarket chain.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:55 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

mr.zaatar wrote:
I too was once searching high and low for a powdered coconut milk that didn't contain sodium caseinate. Chaokoh, Maggi, and all other brands I've seen have it. I did find one, however, that doesn't contain any: It's called Coco King and it's distributed by Eastland Food Corp. in the US. It contains Coconut and Glucose syrup. The taste is ok, not spectacular. I'm also not crazy about glucose syrup and that it adds unnecessary sugar (though it is surprisingly not really sweet).
And btw, I got it at H-Mart, a Korean supermarket chain.

that's the one i got that wasn't very good. :/