| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11879 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 476  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:10 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Tofulish wrote:
Vegan pet peeve - people who post stuff about their pets that makes your head explode.

Someone on FB just posted that PSE&G found a gas leak in their house and so they are at their inlaws, but she can't sleep because she is worried about their pets. Whom they left in the house filled with gas.

I just don't know what to say. I don't want to be judgey or make someone feel bad. But holy shiitake, how do you leave your pets in a dangerous situation and just go somewhere else?

I liked my friends better when I only had vegan friends. I need more vegan mama friends IRL.

Oh my god. That is horrible and it's not judgey to say something about it. If you're able to do so you could help find a place for the pets to stay if they can't go to the in-laws for some reason.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:19 am 
Impressive boner

Animals are regarded as chattels in English law.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:54 am 
Semen Strong

It was past 1 am and they have small kids and are definitely not going back to get their pets after driving two hours to get to their inlaws. But of course they call themselves animal lovers and are so worried about them.

Our neighbor's dog killed the beautiful white kitten who grew up in our yard. It was so terrible to lose her. And our neighbor really is upset because "he's such an animal lover:" who eats steak.

I miss my kittenfriend every day.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:52 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Is it possible that they had no where else to stay and could not take their pets for some reason? I remember staying with friends when my apartment was being treated for termites and it was tough finding someone who could take the pets as well.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:00 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

desdemona, that tarted up trollop wrote:
Vantine wrote:
If compassion and understanding does not extend to other human beings, it's pointless. It's not a race to see who is the most pure.
Agreed. Except that I am totally more pure than you.
Vantine wrote:
Most of us try to do the best we can, ethically speaking. I doubt any of us lead a life free of ethical lapses.
Speak for yourself, you foul sink of corruption!

Dorothy Parker wrote:
Ducking for apples -- change one letter and it's the story of my life.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:04 am 
Semen Strong

Sure, and its the middle of the night, and hotels are expensive, and you have small children who need to get to warm safety. I don't want to be a judgmental jerk, and I don't know their circs, but based on our past experience, I personally would have found a way to get my animals out of the house. That is why this is a pet peeve, not an asking for advice post :)

Even when we refinished and painted and there were fumes, I figured that if I shouldn't be breathing them, the cats shouldn't either. So we all moved to a hotel, and when that didn't work out, then we all moved to different places - my husband and the cats to my MIL and the dog and me to my friend's place. Not easy, esp when in your last trimester of preg, but I couldn't feel okay leaving my animals there. If our house flooded or we had gas leaks, there is no way in hell I would leave the animals. The only way I would leave them is if I physically couldn't get back in the house after being evacuated, like if there was a fire. And even then, the fire would have to be pretty freaking big for me not to try.

But yes, my vegan pet peeve in a nutshell is: people who treat pets like objects and don't take the same care with them that they would for human family members, but still call themselves animal lovers and talk about how worried they are about their pets.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:16 am 
Flounceiad 2011

CoffeeCoffin wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
Vegan pet peeve - people who post stuff about their pets that makes your head explode.

Someone on FB just posted that PSE&G found a gas leak in their house and so they are at their inlaws, but she can't sleep because she is worried about their pets. Whom they left in the house filled with gas.

I just don't know what to say. I don't want to be judgey or make someone feel bad. But holy shiitake, how do you leave your pets in a dangerous situation and just go somewhere else?

I liked my friends better when I only had vegan friends. I need more vegan mama friends IRL.

This sounds like the kind of situation where making someone feel bad might motivate them to go back and save their pets' lives.

I agree with choir. If you can't have certain household cleaners because they are too potent for pets, then why are you going to leave your pets in a environment that is too toxic for a human, which is way bigger than any animals they should have.
I really don't get people.....
Jesus Christ on a bike - what is wrong with some people?! Please go back and say something right away!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:23 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I don't know your friend, Tofulish, so I can't actually do anything about this situation, but honestly, if this were a situation where I had any ability to do anything at all, I would treat it the same way as if someone told me they had left their human children in a house with a gas leak.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:29 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

choirqueer wrote:
I don't know your friend, Tofulish, so I can't actually do anything about this situation, but honestly, if this were a situation where I had any ability to do anything at all, I would treat it the same way as if someone told me they had left their human children in a house with a gas leak.
Exactly!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:50 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

choirqueer wrote:

This. Holy shiitake.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:34 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Good luck T-lish! I hope you're able to knock some sense into your friends...

My pet peeve of the day: Trader Joe's biryani isn't that great. I mean, it's fine I guess, and if they called it seasoned rice with vegetables I wouldn't complain. But it isn't biryani. I'm pretty sure no self respecting home cook in India would just throw uncooked frozen onion into biryani and call it food.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:42 am 
Seagull of the PPK

my only real vegan peeve- when people drink flavored soymilk and leave it where my plain soymilk is and half-asleep, i put it in my coffee.
my dopey aunt is all big on "soy for hormone replacement" and had this NASTY grape soymilk, put it where mine was and i was too groggy to notice. Grape soymilk in coffee=barf.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:27 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

GymClassZero wrote:
Is it wrong that I'm sick of food stories that start with "I know you're a vegan, but..."? Seriously. Just tell me the damn story without the preface or don't do it at all. That's like if they said, "I know you're black, but..." It is never a good way to start anything. It makes me all nervous-annoyed.

This. Happened way to often lately. I know you try to be mindful, but it it's just weird as everybody stares at me expectantly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:39 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

8ball wrote:
Animals are regarded as chattels in English law.
That's just an old word meaning possession in a legal context. It use came about from the transition to English-language legal system from a French one, and in order to avoid confusion and loopholes, you get lots of doublings such as "goods and chattels" where a Germanic word is paired with a French word or a French and a Classical word. The survival of chattel is something of a fossilisation.

Animals being possessions is another matter entirely, but let us not forget that there are laws protecting animal rights and preventing animal cruelty that other possessions, such as sofabeds and air guitars, do not receive.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:04 am 
And you never will.

Gulliver wrote:
Animals being possessions is another matter entirely, but let us not forget that there are laws protecting animal rights and preventing animal cruelty that other possessions, such as sofabeds and air guitars, do not receive.

Don't you take away my air guitar's rights!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:07 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I wouldn't treat it exactly the same as someone leaving their kids in a house with a gas leak, since in that instance I'm pretty sure I'd call the cops on them...but I would definitely suggest a boarding facility to them. They were probably panicked and all that, and rational, logical thought can go out of the window when you might think your family's life is in danger or something, but boarding is relatively inexpensive and easy for the peace of mind that your pets aren't freakin dead.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:36 am 
Semen Strong

I always suggest going to a La Quinta, bc they take animals and are open 24/7.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:43 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

torque wrote:
my only real vegan peeve- when people drink flavored soymilk and leave it where my plain soymilk is and half-asleep, i put it in my coffee.
my dopey aunt is all big on "soy for hormone replacement" and had this NASTY grape soymilk, put it where mine was and i was too groggy to notice. Grape soymilk in coffee=barf.

Grape soy milk gives me a sad. That sounds so gross.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:53 am 
Dead by dawn

ndpittman wrote:
torque wrote:

Seriously gross. Like so gross that coffee could only improve it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:00 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

monkeytoes wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
torque wrote:

Seriously gross. Like so gross that coffee could only improve it.

Exactly. I can't fathom someone saying, you know what would be good? Grape soymilk.

My pet peeve is people giving unsolicited advice. I was in TJ's the other day and the cashier proceeded to tell me that not only should I not eat the mandarin chickenless nuggets(because the ingredient list was too long), I shouldn't eat anything with corn since it's going to kill me, she didn't know what to eat anymore since cows get corn and corn=bad, and to top everything off, how her friend/coworker decided to raise a calf and slaughter it himself. In great detail. Apparently looking like I was going to puke and saying that's nice, but I've really got to go, I'm in a hurry meant nothing to her.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:40 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

gaia13 wrote:

My pet peeve is people giving unsolicited advice. I was in TJ's the other day and the cashier proceeded to tell me that not only should I not eat the mandarin chickenless nuggets(because the ingredient list was too long), I shouldn't eat anything with corn since it's going to kill me, she didn't know what to eat anymore since cows get corn and corn=bad, and to top everything off, how her friend/coworker decided to raise a calf and slaughter it himself. In great detail. Apparently looking like I was going to puke and saying that's nice, but I've really got to go, I'm in a hurry meant nothing to her.

To be fair, TJ's pretty much requires its employees to talk to customers non-stop. I worked there for a long time, and I know the official policy was that we be friendly and helpful but if we weren't chipper and talking all.the.time. during review period, it could hurt us if the store manager was really by-the-book. I always hated feeling like I had to talk to the customers who clearly wanted to be left alone.

Granted, what the cashier said to you is pretty annoying and ill-informed...but it's also difficult to come up with two - three hours of nonstop conversation topics (and that's how long we were at the register before going to do something else). She was probably awkwardly fishing for something to say, or got stuck in some autopilot loop of weirdness.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:51 am 
Semen Strong

You know what doesn't contain corn? Vegetables. Go vegan bisque.

I can proselytize with the best of them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:03 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I had the most bizarre, horrible encounter yesterday. I went out to get cat food, and the place I went has a cage with rescue kittens up for adoption. They were tiny and adorable so I stopped to poke a finger between the bars and say hello.

Well this random asshat saunters up to me and says, "You know, in Haiti they catch feral kittens and use them for shark bait. They work really well, since they thrash around so much when you throw them in the water."

What the fizzle, angry old dude??? Why on earth would you walk up to a complete stranger in a pet store and say something like that??? What is WRONG with you?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:04 am 
Semen Strong

They use dogs too. They're bigger and there is more blood.

People be craycray.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:33 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I wish I had not just read that stuff about the cats and dogs as shark bait. :( visuals *shudder*.

I hope that guy tripped and faceplanted in the parking lot of the pet food place, and all the dogs and cats went out there and ate his bloody face.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11879 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 476  Next