| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 63  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:21 pm 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:54 pm
Posts: 259
I made the FONDUE! Oh my goodness.....if I could only make one recipe from this book for the rest of my life, the fondue would be it. SO GOOD!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:09 am 
Offline
Brain Made of Raw Seitan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:38 am
Posts: 1283
Location: Windmill row
Daphne wrote:
I made the FONDUE! Oh my goodness.....if I could only make one recipe from this book for the rest of my life, the fondue would be it. SO GOOD!!

+1.

I bet it would make a really nice sauce for casseroles too...

_________________
Can you read Dutch? Kom eens kijken op Vegetus!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:52 am 
Offline
Memorized Veganomicon

Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 11:54 am
Posts: 100
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Daphne wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:
Soo, my rice for the rejuvelac finally sprouted, but it now smells awful. It smells like pungent cheese. Is this normal? I'm thinking no.


Have you tried quinoa? Its so much faster and easier.


Some rice has been treated to not sprout. It should not smell awful. Also, about quinoa, make sure it's not "pre-sprouted". QUinoa literally sprouts overnight, although I usually let it go for 36 hours or so. Wheat berries work great, too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:04 pm 
Offline
Asked Santa for a pony
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:29 pm
Posts: 3049
Location: Portland
thanks! Darn. Gotta start over, but I'll use quinoa this time.

Also, my brie is done, but far too soft. I think I should have refrigerated it for longer. Oh well! Still tastes amazing.

_________________
The Noochy Noodle, my personal obsession with discovering the worlds greatest vegan mac and cheeze


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:28 pm 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:54 pm
Posts: 259
omg, Im so forking hooked on this book!!!! I made another batch of Brie today, along with some goat cheese from another blog...I cannot wait! The brie is hands down my fave.

D.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:56 pm 
Offline
Nailed to the V

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:25 am
Posts: 576
My pub cheddar is delish... I think I messed the agar again but this is spreadable and and it's still REALLY good. I had to throw away my mozzeralla. It just didn't taste good. (sooner or later I'll get a handle of this).

_________________
A Vegan Julie/Julia Project: This Cycle: Great Gluten Free Vegan Eats! http://veganlydelicious.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:59 am 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:56 am
Posts: 422
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
I ordered this when I pre-ordered Terry's book. Can't wait! For either of them!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:22 am 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:26 pm
Posts: 466
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
My air-dried cheddar caught mould, I had to throw it away. The air temperature was about 19°C, but humidity was too high. The cheese didn't dry, it remained creamy (yesterday I ate a bit, still creamy). I salted it twice and brushed it with wine brine once, didn't want more because it was already too salty and remained too wet.

I think the salt bound water from the air instead of drawing it out from the cheese. I forgot to wash a teaspoon after measuring salt one day, and the next day it was completely wet.

I think I shouldn't make air-dried cheese again before we start heating. Not that I have the ingredients to make them...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:02 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:47 pm
Posts: 1868
Location: NC
rhelune wrote:
My air-dried cheddar caught mould, I had to throw it away. The air temperature was about 19°C, but humidity was too high. The cheese didn't dry, it remained creamy (yesterday I ate a bit, still creamy). I salted it twice and brushed it with wine brine once, didn't want more because it was already too salty and remained too wet.

I think the salt bound water from the air instead of drawing it out from the cheese. I forgot to wash a teaspoon after measuring salt one day, and the next day it was completely wet.

I think I shouldn't make air-dried cheese again before we start heating. Not that I have the ingredients to make them...


That stinks that it got moldy, but i think she says you can cut the mold off, so long as it's only on the surface. Mine also remained creamy but I was afraid of leaving it out any longer, I imagine a result of trying to air dry in the US south during summer. It's still delish in the creamy state, though!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:50 am 
Offline
Tofu Pup Forever

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:47 am
Posts: 15
I just got the book and I am making my own rejuvelac for the first time. I was wondering if I can substitute the refined coconut oil with something else ? if so with what ? I am asking this as I am trying to diminish the amount of saturated fat in my diet. thank you .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:33 pm 
Offline
So Totally Yiffy

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:28 pm
Posts: 34
Image

Finished off the Buffalo Mozzarella (Veg News recipe) this morning...and ate far too much of it. Served it with fresh basil, date balsamic vinegar, and blood orange evoo. I thought the texture was right on, but it was not quite salty enough for my taste. Next round I'll definitely increase the salt.

I also just purchased a copy of the book and have my rejuvelac brewing now. I'm anxious to do some serious experimenting, but am a bit concerned about the mold issues some of you are having. Humidity is the status quo here in Houston, and I'm wondering if I should hold off on some of these air-dried cheeses.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:03 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:26 pm
Posts: 466
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
I was afraid to eat even a bit of it. I'm considering a dehumidifier, but first I need to buy batteries for my humidity meter because in the previous years the humidity would raise above 60% only with open windows while it was raining. Maybe it is normal, but it's too much for cheese any way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:12 pm 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:54 pm
Posts: 259
Elizabeth wrote:
Image

Finished off the Buffalo Mozzarella (Veg News recipe) this morning...and ate far too much of it. Served it with fresh basil, date balsamic vinegar, and blood orange evoo. I thought the texture was right on, but it was not quite salty enough for my taste. Next round I'll definitely increase the salt.

I also just purchased a copy of the book and have my rejuvelac brewing now. I'm anxious to do some serious experimenting, but am a bit concerned about the mold issues some of you are having. Humidity is the status quo here in Houston, and I'm wondering if I should hold off on some of these air-dried cheeses.



THAT is a BEAUTIFUL pic!!!! I agree--Ive made all the cheeses from the VegNews issue--and LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

I just made a new batch of Brie--I didnt have the refined coconut oil, so I used Earth Balance--it turned out great! Very buttery tasting, and a little fattier/oily-er, but its Brie, so who cares! :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:57 am 
Offline
Moving To Sheepshead Bay
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:39 pm
Posts: 5920
Elizabeth, your mozzarella picture is blowing me away! Good job on the cheese making and photo taking!

_________________
"I'm no elephant, but now I want molasses." -Moon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:09 pm 
Offline
So Totally Yiffy

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:28 pm
Posts: 34
Thanks for the compliments everyone. The buffalo mozzarella was delish, and I will definitely make it again. I've moved on to some of the more time-consuming recipes from the book and have a question for those of you familiar with rejuvelac. I used wheat berries as my starter, and they sprouted in no time. Last night I separated them into two jars and added the water. Today I have this:

Image

Admittedly, this is freaking me out a little bit. Is this what rejuvelac is supposed to look like?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:11 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:26 pm
Posts: 466
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
It looks OK. Smell it, taste it (with a clean spoon), if it's OK, strain it and use in a recipe.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:17 pm 
Offline
Memorized Veganomicon

Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 11:54 am
Posts: 100
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Elizabeth wrote:
Thanks for the compliments everyone. The buffalo mozzarella was delish, and I will definitely make it again. I've moved on to some of the more time-consuming recipes from the book and have a question for those of you familiar with rejuvelac. I used wheat berries as my starter, and they sprouted in no time. Last night I separated them into two jars and added the water. Today I have this:

Image

Admittedly, this is freaking me out a little bit. Is this what rejuvelac is supposed to look like?


It looks fine. That's what it's supposed to look like.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:01 pm 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:31 pm
Posts: 1435
Daphne wrote:
I only use quinoa for rejuvelac. Its easy and sprouts fast.

Soak quinoa 3-8 hours. Drain. Rinse. Place in sieve or other draining device. cover with a cloth and place in a dark place that is not too hot or cold. (I put mine inside of my microwave with the light off)

every hour or so, RINSE quinoa. put back in dark place. do this for about two days. IF you cant get to it every hour or so, dont worry...just do it when you remember.

on about the second or third day, you will see little tails. I usually wait for the tails to get a little longish and then I place them in a large glass container or bowl and add filtered water. cover with cloth and place in dark place. let sit for two days. Occasionally STIR the mix to give it some extra fermenting power.

Taste it on the second or third day. It should look cloudy and taste lemony-smokey. It should taste FRESH. If it tastes rotten or bad, toss it, because it is bad. This is not a common thing--I have had this happen only once in all my years of making the stuff.

Rejuvelac is not hard to make and dont stress out. I read these posts and see so many people stressing over rejuvelac. Go for the easiest grain to sprout: QUINOA. And dont worry so much. It will work for you--

:)

D.


I started this process on Saturday, moving the quinoa to a strainer that evening and it still hasn't sprouted. I've kept it covered and rinsed the quinoa as often as I can remember. It smells kind of musty now, I don't think my quinoa is going to sprout. :/

_________________
Again, you are all brilliant and sexy. And I am lavender-laden and secure in my masculinity. - Sir Brancis Facon

bird noises | book of faces


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:20 pm 
Offline
Memorized Veganomicon

Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 11:54 am
Posts: 100
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
bunniee wrote:
Daphne wrote:
I only use quinoa for rejuvelac. Its easy and sprouts fast.

Soak quinoa 3-8 hours. Drain. Rinse. Place in sieve or other draining device. cover with a cloth and place in a dark place that is not too hot or cold. (I put mine inside of my microwave with the light off)

every hour or so, RINSE quinoa. put back in dark place. do this for about two days. IF you cant get to it every hour or so, dont worry...just do it when you remember.

on about the second or third day, you will see little tails. I usually wait for the tails to get a little longish and then I place them in a large glass container or bowl and add filtered water. cover with cloth and place in dark place. let sit for two days. Occasionally STIR the mix to give it some extra fermenting power.

Taste it on the second or third day. It should look cloudy and taste lemony-smokey. It should taste FRESH. If it tastes rotten or bad, toss it, because it is bad. This is not a common thing--I have had this happen only once in all my years of making the stuff.

Rejuvelac is not hard to make and dont stress out. I read these posts and see so many people stressing over rejuvelac. Go for the easiest grain to sprout: QUINOA. And dont worry so much. It will work for you--

:)

D.


I started this process on Saturday, moving the quinoa to a strainer that evening and it still hasn't sprouted. I've kept it covered and rinsed the quinoa as often as I can remember. It smells kind of musty now, I don't think my quinoa is going to sprout. :/


It sounds like you are using pre-sprouted quinoa. Check the package. Pre-sprouted quinoa is becoming very popular, and you often buy it without knowing what it is. Unsprouted quinoa practically sprouts overnight, or within 24 hours.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:51 pm 
Offline
Wears Pleather Undies
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:57 pm
Posts: 24
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Im getting so downhearted! I cant seem to find carrageenan here in New Zealand :( Ive been to the shops here that i thought might stock it and cant find anywhere online that sells it either. I have found a company that sells in large amounts a product called gelcarin.... and its apparently carrageenan, sucrose and potassium chloride. I was assuming carrageenan would be an ingredient on its own.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:59 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:12 pm
Posts: 3831
Location: Canberra, Australia
Kiwi wrote:
Im getting so downhearted! I cant seem to find carrageenan here in New Zealand :( Ive been to the shops here that i thought might stock it and cant find anywhere online that sells it either. I have found a company that sells in large amounts a product called gelcarin.... and its apparently carrageenan, sucrose and potassium chloride. I was assuming carrageenan would be an ingredient on its own.


I got mine online here. They're based in Sydney, but that's not too far away! It got here really quickly too, like overnight, even though I didn't pay for express postage.

_________________
Recipes. Rants. Raunch.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:27 pm 
Offline
Wears Pleather Undies
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:57 pm
Posts: 24
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Erinnerung wrote:
Kiwi wrote:
Im getting so downhearted! I cant seem to find carrageenan here in New Zealand :( Ive been to the shops here that i thought might stock it and cant find anywhere online that sells it either. I have found a company that sells in large amounts a product called gelcarin.... and its apparently carrageenan, sucrose and potassium chloride. I was assuming carrageenan would be an ingredient on its own.


I got mine online here. They're based in Sydney, but that's not too far away! It got here really quickly too, like overnight, even though I didn't pay for express postage.


Thanks so much for that! I dont think i can justify $20 on shipping though, considering the carrageenan is only $15.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:28 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3894
Location: Portland, OR
I made the nacho sauce for my omni sister & her boyfriend for our tacos tonight, and they raved and raved. They're still snacking.


(And I subbed soaked sunflowers for cashews, like I've done before)

_________________
get sconed!
& @jdfunks on that thing


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:32 am 
Offline
Memorized Veganomicon

Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 11:54 am
Posts: 100
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Kiwi wrote:
Erinnerung wrote:
Kiwi wrote:
Im getting so downhearted! I cant seem to find carrageenan here in New Zealand :( Ive been to the shops here that i thought might stock it and cant find anywhere online that sells it either. I have found a company that sells in large amounts a product called gelcarin.... and its apparently carrageenan, sucrose and potassium chloride. I was assuming carrageenan would be an ingredient on its own.


I got mine online here. They're based in Sydney, but that's not too far away! It got here really quickly too, like overnight, even though I didn't pay for express postage.


Thanks so much for that! I dont think i can justify $20 on shipping though, considering the carrageenan is only $15.....


So just use agar agar. It still works, although the texture is a little different, and it doesn't melt as well. It will still harden the cheeses.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:25 am 
Offline
Tofu Pup

Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:18 am
Posts: 3
Location: Los Angeles, CA
I'm waiting for the book to arrive in the mail, so my question may have been answered there, but I've noticed that many recipes call for miso. I'm soy-intolerant. Is there something else that I can use in its place? Or can I leave it out? I know that South River Miso makes a chickpea miso, but it's expensive and I can't find it in stores.
Side note: I made the brie from VegNews and paired it with some peach basil jam and fresh-baked bread and it was crazy good. Everyone loved it!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 63  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer