| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:21 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the FONDUE! Oh my goodness.....if I could only make one recipe from this book for the rest of my life, the fondue would be it. SO GOOD!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:09 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Daphne wrote:
I made the FONDUE! Oh my goodness.....if I could only make one recipe from this book for the rest of my life, the fondue would be it. SO GOOD!!

+1.

I bet it would make a really nice sauce for casseroles too...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:52 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Daphne wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:
Soo, my rice for the rejuvelac finally sprouted, but it now smells awful. It smells like pungent cheese. Is this normal? I'm thinking no.

Have you tried quinoa? Its so much faster and easier.

Some rice has been treated to not sprout. It should not smell awful. Also, about quinoa, make sure it's not "pre-sprouted". QUinoa literally sprouts overnight, although I usually let it go for 36 hours or so. Wheat berries work great, too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:04 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

thanks! Darn. Gotta start over, but I'll use quinoa this time.

Also, my brie is done, but far too soft. I think I should have refrigerated it for longer. Oh well! Still tastes amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:28 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

omg, Im so forking hooked on this book!!!! I made another batch of Brie today, along with some goat cheese from another blog...I cannot wait! The brie is hands down my fave.

D.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:56 pm 
Nailed to the V

My pub cheddar is delish... I think I messed the agar again but this is spreadable and and it's still REALLY good. I had to throw away my mozzeralla. It just didn't taste good. (sooner or later I'll get a handle of this).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:59 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I ordered this when I pre-ordered Terry's book. Can't wait! For either of them!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:22 am 
Not NOT A Furry

My air-dried cheddar caught mould, I had to throw it away. The air temperature was about 19°C, but humidity was too high. The cheese didn't dry, it remained creamy (yesterday I ate a bit, still creamy). I salted it twice and brushed it with wine brine once, didn't want more because it was already too salty and remained too wet.

I think the salt bound water from the air instead of drawing it out from the cheese. I forgot to wash a teaspoon after measuring salt one day, and the next day it was completely wet.

I think I shouldn't make air-dried cheese again before we start heating. Not that I have the ingredients to make them...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:02 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

rhelune wrote:
My air-dried cheddar caught mould, I had to throw it away. The air temperature was about 19°C, but humidity was too high. The cheese didn't dry, it remained creamy (yesterday I ate a bit, still creamy). I salted it twice and brushed it with wine brine once, didn't want more because it was already too salty and remained too wet.

I think the salt bound water from the air instead of drawing it out from the cheese. I forgot to wash a teaspoon after measuring salt one day, and the next day it was completely wet.

I think I shouldn't make air-dried cheese again before we start heating. Not that I have the ingredients to make them...

That stinks that it got moldy, but i think she says you can cut the mold off, so long as it's only on the surface. Mine also remained creamy but I was afraid of leaving it out any longer, I imagine a result of trying to air dry in the US south during summer. It's still delish in the creamy state, though!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:50 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I just got the book and I am making my own rejuvelac for the first time. I was wondering if I can substitute the refined coconut oil with something else ? if so with what ? I am asking this as I am trying to diminish the amount of saturated fat in my diet. thank you .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:33 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Finished off the Buffalo Mozzarella (Veg News recipe) this morning...and ate far too much of it. Served it with fresh basil, date balsamic vinegar, and blood orange evoo. I thought the texture was right on, but it was not quite salty enough for my taste. Next round I'll definitely increase the salt.

I also just purchased a copy of the book and have my rejuvelac brewing now. I'm anxious to do some serious experimenting, but am a bit concerned about the mold issues some of you are having. Humidity is the status quo here in Houston, and I'm wondering if I should hold off on some of these air-dried cheeses.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:03 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I was afraid to eat even a bit of it. I'm considering a dehumidifier, but first I need to buy batteries for my humidity meter because in the previous years the humidity would raise above 60% only with open windows while it was raining. Maybe it is normal, but it's too much for cheese any way.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:12 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Elizabeth wrote:

Finished off the Buffalo Mozzarella (Veg News recipe) this morning...and ate far too much of it. Served it with fresh basil, date balsamic vinegar, and blood orange evoo. I thought the texture was right on, but it was not quite salty enough for my taste. Next round I'll definitely increase the salt.

I also just purchased a copy of the book and have my rejuvelac brewing now. I'm anxious to do some serious experimenting, but am a bit concerned about the mold issues some of you are having. Humidity is the status quo here in Houston, and I'm wondering if I should hold off on some of these air-dried cheeses.

THAT is a BEAUTIFUL pic!!!! I agree--Ive made all the cheeses from the VegNews issue--and LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

I just made a new batch of Brie--I didnt have the refined coconut oil, so I used Earth Balance--it turned out great! Very buttery tasting, and a little fattier/oily-er, but its Brie, so who cares! :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:57 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Elizabeth, your mozzarella picture is blowing me away! Good job on the cheese making and photo taking!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:09 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Thanks for the compliments everyone. The buffalo mozzarella was delish, and I will definitely make it again. I've moved on to some of the more time-consuming recipes from the book and have a question for those of you familiar with rejuvelac. I used wheat berries as my starter, and they sprouted in no time. Last night I separated them into two jars and added the water. Today I have this:

Admittedly, this is freaking me out a little bit. Is this what rejuvelac is supposed to look like?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:11 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

It looks OK. Smell it, taste it (with a clean spoon), if it's OK, strain it and use in a recipe.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:17 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Elizabeth wrote:
Thanks for the compliments everyone. The buffalo mozzarella was delish, and I will definitely make it again. I've moved on to some of the more time-consuming recipes from the book and have a question for those of you familiar with rejuvelac. I used wheat berries as my starter, and they sprouted in no time. Last night I separated them into two jars and added the water. Today I have this:

Admittedly, this is freaking me out a little bit. Is this what rejuvelac is supposed to look like?

It looks fine. That's what it's supposed to look like.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:01 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Daphne wrote:
I only use quinoa for rejuvelac. Its easy and sprouts fast.

Soak quinoa 3-8 hours. Drain. Rinse. Place in sieve or other draining device. cover with a cloth and place in a dark place that is not too hot or cold. (I put mine inside of my microwave with the light off)

every hour or so, RINSE quinoa. put back in dark place. do this for about two days. IF you cant get to it every hour or so, dont worry...just do it when you remember.

on about the second or third day, you will see little tails. I usually wait for the tails to get a little longish and then I place them in a large glass container or bowl and add filtered water. cover with cloth and place in dark place. let sit for two days. Occasionally STIR the mix to give it some extra fermenting power.

Taste it on the second or third day. It should look cloudy and taste lemony-smokey. It should taste FRESH. If it tastes rotten or bad, toss it, because it is bad. This is not a common thing--I have had this happen only once in all my years of making the stuff.

Rejuvelac is not hard to make and dont stress out. I read these posts and see so many people stressing over rejuvelac. Go for the easiest grain to sprout: QUINOA. And dont worry so much. It will work for you--

:)

D.

I started this process on Saturday, moving the quinoa to a strainer that evening and it still hasn't sprouted. I've kept it covered and rinsed the quinoa as often as I can remember. It smells kind of musty now, I don't think my quinoa is going to sprout. :/

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:20 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

bunniee wrote:
Daphne wrote:
I only use quinoa for rejuvelac. Its easy and sprouts fast.

Soak quinoa 3-8 hours. Drain. Rinse. Place in sieve or other draining device. cover with a cloth and place in a dark place that is not too hot or cold. (I put mine inside of my microwave with the light off)

every hour or so, RINSE quinoa. put back in dark place. do this for about two days. IF you cant get to it every hour or so, dont worry...just do it when you remember.

on about the second or third day, you will see little tails. I usually wait for the tails to get a little longish and then I place them in a large glass container or bowl and add filtered water. cover with cloth and place in dark place. let sit for two days. Occasionally STIR the mix to give it some extra fermenting power.

Taste it on the second or third day. It should look cloudy and taste lemony-smokey. It should taste FRESH. If it tastes rotten or bad, toss it, because it is bad. This is not a common thing--I have had this happen only once in all my years of making the stuff.

Rejuvelac is not hard to make and dont stress out. I read these posts and see so many people stressing over rejuvelac. Go for the easiest grain to sprout: QUINOA. And dont worry so much. It will work for you--

:)

D.

I started this process on Saturday, moving the quinoa to a strainer that evening and it still hasn't sprouted. I've kept it covered and rinsed the quinoa as often as I can remember. It smells kind of musty now, I don't think my quinoa is going to sprout. :/

It sounds like you are using pre-sprouted quinoa. Check the package. Pre-sprouted quinoa is becoming very popular, and you often buy it without knowing what it is. Unsprouted quinoa practically sprouts overnight, or within 24 hours.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:51 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Im getting so downhearted! I cant seem to find carrageenan here in New Zealand :( Ive been to the shops here that i thought might stock it and cant find anywhere online that sells it either. I have found a company that sells in large amounts a product called gelcarin.... and its apparently carrageenan, sucrose and potassium chloride. I was assuming carrageenan would be an ingredient on its own.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Kiwi wrote:
Im getting so downhearted! I cant seem to find carrageenan here in New Zealand :( Ive been to the shops here that i thought might stock it and cant find anywhere online that sells it either. I have found a company that sells in large amounts a product called gelcarin.... and its apparently carrageenan, sucrose and potassium chloride. I was assuming carrageenan would be an ingredient on its own.

I got mine online here. They're based in Sydney, but that's not too far away! It got here really quickly too, like overnight, even though I didn't pay for express postage.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:27 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Erinnerung wrote:
Kiwi wrote:

I got mine online here. They're based in Sydney, but that's not too far away! It got here really quickly too, like overnight, even though I didn't pay for express postage.

Thanks so much for that! I dont think i can justify $20 on shipping though, considering the carrageenan is only $15.....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:28 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the nacho sauce for my omni sister & her boyfriend for our tacos tonight, and they raved and raved. They're still snacking.

(And I subbed soaked sunflowers for cashews, like I've done before)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:32 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Kiwi wrote:
Erinnerung wrote:
Kiwi wrote:

Thanks so much for that! I dont think i can justify $20 on shipping though, considering the carrageenan is only $15.....

So just use agar agar. It still works, although the texture is a little different, and it doesn't melt as well. It will still harden the cheeses.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:25 am 
Tofu Pup

I'm waiting for the book to arrive in the mail, so my question may have been answered there, but I've noticed that many recipes call for miso. I'm soy-intolerant. Is there something else that I can use in its place? Or can I leave it out? I know that South River Miso makes a chickpea miso, but it's expensive and I can't find it in stores.
Side note: I made the brie from VegNews and paired it with some peach basil jam and fresh-baked bread and it was crazy good. Everyone loved it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 63  Next