| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:04 pm 
Semen Strong

A friend of mine once said "The best thing about babies is those tiny little baby butts that fit right in your hand." A diaperless baby is just the wee cutest butt ever. I let L roam diaperless because (1) its good for her skin and (2) its so cute, I can't stop grinning at her.

It is interesting that she bends down like you would over a traditional toilet and grunts to poop, so I have some notice and could start trying to catch it. The pees are just too quick for me.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:13 am 
Married to the wolfman

The Magician just looks so damn happy when you take his diaper off. Really, no matter what kind of mood he's in or what activity he's engaged in, you take his diaper off and he immediately begins what I can only describe as romping. He will often just start laughing and crawling and laughing and stopping to grab his business and laughing. If I felt that happy when I took my pants off, you would all see a lot more of my asparagus.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:49 am 
Inflexitarian

coldandsleepy wrote:
If I felt that happy when I took my pants off, you would all see a lot more of my asparagus.

Best line ever.

A lifetime of companion animals has given me immunity to all body fluids and secretions which is probably why I laugh hyserically when pee'd on by a baby and her father runs like she's poured acid on him.

Guineapiglet has outgrown her changing table so we do mostly floor changes now. About every other changing she decides she doesn't want to sit through the whole "put the diaper back on" part. She expresses this by taking the diaper, standing up, and walking away with it in her hands. It's just too hilarious for me to stop her. When she's ready for her diaper she'll bring it back to me and lay back down - which is also pure comedy to me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:55 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Scarlett really enjoys what my partner calls the "free pee" when we're changing her and she's naked for a minute. Something about the air hitting her butt seems to trigger it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:32 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

mooo wrote:
Scarlett really enjoys what my partner calls the "free pee" when we're changing her and she's naked for a minute. Something about the air hitting her butt seems to trigger it.

We call it "open air pee" because the ap that we used to track all the diapers in the beginning had that option as a description for pee. We thought that was just a funny thing to call it (and we are not that anal about describing each pee!) and the term has stuck. Yeah, it's something about the air and it makes me thankful I have a girl.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:32 pm 
Semen Strong

How long do you dry your cloth diapers for?

Mine (about 20 a load) only need about 30 mins, but my husband puts them in for over an hour because "I'd rather not have to go check on them." Sometimes I feel like I am married to the only man in the world who could make cloth diapers more expensive than disposables.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:57 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Prefolds dry in 30 minutes? Do you use the highest heat level? Dryers probably vary a lot, but I find I need to dry them for an hour on medium heat. If I have to dry them on the lowest heat because there were some poopy delicate clothes mixed in with the diapers, it takes 1 hr 25 minutes. I've figured this out by trial and error too-- any less time than that, and they are still damp. I only wash diapers every 3 days, so I do big loads of 25-30 medium and large sized prefolds at a time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:17 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

It takes an hour for me to dry a full load of prefolds (about 20-24). I have a HE machine though, so its settings are probably not quite the same as a standard dryer. (It steams them dry.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:33 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

It was taking me 80 minutes to fully dry my pocket diapers (not on the highest heat for the waterproofing), but I got our dryer vent cleaned yesterday and apparently it was clogged, so I'm hoping that they will dry faster now!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:39 pm 
Inflexitarian

Mine ( a mix of cloth wipes, pocket liners and pre-folds that we use as changing pads now) take about an hour - maybe. As with all my estimates on cloth diapers I could be completely wrong since I just set the timer and walk away and saunter back eventually later on in the day or the next day.

The interesting thing is my electric bill hasn't changed at all with the cloth diapers. I guess my dryer doesn't account for much of the energy use in the house. My water bill however is getting ridiculous - but that may also have something to do with the fact that I now have a garden and have gotten too busy to hand wash dishes so the dishwasher runs at least every other day now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:56 pm 
Semen Strong

Thank you for sharing! We do use the highest heat. Its interesting that your electric bill hasn't changed. I definitely feel better now :P

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:58 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Anyone want some diapers? We are moving soon, and the baby making shop is closed, so I'd love to unload some diapers that are just taking up space. I have 5 BG 4.0 artist series, with both inserts. Some may have some leaking issues because I can't figure out a system that works with our front loader. I have 12 ATD all in ones -6 small and 6 medium. These are in great condition - here's a link to a description of them as the new style of the same brand are slightly different. http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/sho ... p?t=973412

I also have 5 size large brand new baby kicks hemp doubler, some random doublers, and a very random size 0 kissaluvs and nb prorap. PM if you're interested. All I ask in return is a good home for them. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:05 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

i just realized i'm going to be cloth diapering again, very soon. i hope i remember how! we switched tzipi out of cloth over the last year... the daycare wouldn't use them, so we were just using them at home, but then she grew out of most of her covers and i didn't feel like it would be worth it to buy new ones for the 1-3 diapers we were even using at home. but i'll be home with new bb for the whole year, so it'll be back to cloth.

i'm using our prefold stash, but i bought some random used diapers too... some fitteds and aios. we didn't have much for the newborn-3 month stage last time... i just washed every day!! so i'm hoping having some different options will make things a little easier.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:06 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Alright, I've got a story for all of you. And I bet 99% of you will totally relate.

Backstory: I forgot to dry my diapers last night, so I had to finish drying them this morning - a bit of time in the laundry machine, and then I hang them to finish. Anyway, so Z usually wears a disposable overnight, because otherwise we get awful leaks, but since we were out of cloth til they dried, he also wore them all morning.

Z pooped. Three times. No big deal. Except the second two, they were poo-splosions. Literally explosions. Like, he was sitting on my lap, and I felt a more-rumbly-than-usual type of rumble. I instantly swooped him up and away to take care of it before it leaked everywhere, but I was already too late. I turned him around to assess the damage as I placed him on the changing mat. His entire backside was breastmilk-poop-yellow. Ugh. That's okay, right? I've got this under control still. I clean him up, rinse out his sleeper and put some stain spray on it to soak until the cloth diapers are done in the wash, and I can wash poopy baby clothes. So Zephyr's dressed and snuggly again in a onesie and pants. We are snuggling, playing, having a grand time, when the next earthquake arrives via his cute little bum. The horrifying kind of earthquake poo, where you realize that no disposable can contain your baby's poop, because your lap is feeling unusually warm and... moist. Noooooo... So away we go again, to clean up. Yep, it leaked right out the top of his disposable - which I might add was completely secure, and the proper size as well. WAIT - what's that? Oh. It just also leaked a bit out both legs. Awesome. I ended up with a sink full of poopy baby clothing, that's finally now been popped into the wash. And my glorious cloth prefolds are nearly dry. Wish me luck for the next hour. Z can't possibly be ready for another poo yet... right?

Moral of the story - Remember to get your diapers drying on time so you don't run out and have to face poo-splosions all morning. (Your partner will not sympathize much when you text him. In fact, he'll just laugh and be glad he's already out of the house.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

After a few public poosplosions (including the time I had to change Beety on the train platform and finish dressing him on the train in the winter), I started putting rikki wraps over disposables. It's like they save up their poo for when you're out of cloth.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:33 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
It's like they save up their poo for when you're out of cloth.

So true. And airplanes, doctor's offices, times you're just going to be out for ten minutes so you don't bring wipes....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:13 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Butternut wrote:
TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:

So true. And airplanes, doctor's offices, times you're just going to be out for ten minutes so you don't bring wipes....

Ha, yes. Or when you hope they can wait for a change just a few more minutes, because your ferry is about to allow you to walk on. But of course, it's taking forever (and the timing is not precise, you go on when they're ready), so you start changing them, and then they ask everyone to load the boat. Ohhh... facepalm.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:43 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bodhi wrote:
Butternut wrote:
TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:

Ha, yes. Or when you hope they can wait for a change just a few more minutes, because your ferry is about to allow you to walk on. But of course, it's taking forever (and the timing is not precise, you go on when they're ready), so you start changing them, and then they ask everyone to load the boat. Ohhh... facepalm.

Which reminds me...they changed ferries on us and the new one doesn't have a bathroom (a bathroom that has saved me from both kid poo-splosions and a crabby-poosplosion (I was pregnant and had food poisoning while we were out)).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:33 pm 
Nooch of Earl

We have a dryer with one of those sensor things where the dial says "less dry" and "more dry" (the engineer in me is driven nuts by this. It's a binary state!!) and I usually just set it for the star. I'd say it takes maybe...30-45 min? But we do the lower heat setting. I hang dry the AIOs/covers/pocket diapers, and just wash the inserts.

This is making me recall my Dutch washer/dryer, though, which dried things by...wait for it... running cold water around the outside and condensing the water out of the clothes. I shiitake you not. It took ALL DAY to dry something like jeans or towels and I can't even imagine CDing. We would've given up on doing any of it in the dryer.

I think if I could do it all over again I would just buy a ton of BG Freetimes and hang them all. I still <3 my Freetimes.

Also, we called the naked standing peas a "hobo pee" because for months, reliably, when she was a little younger and we would change her first thing in the morning, Violet would stand up, lean on the wall with one hand, drop her head down, and just let forth onto the changing pad. Kinda wish I'd gotten it on video because it was hilarious. But I'd probably be arrested, so it's for the best that I didn't, I'm sure.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:24 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

We dry our prefolds on racks. Takes one day. Littlemap has started peeing a lot more volume in one pee and pooping less frequently (from 15/day to maybe 10?). My sweetheart had the brilliant idea of using our cloth wipes as doublers and Littlemap hasn't peed through his clothes since that addition. He's getting quite the round tummy and his newborn size prefolds are getting pretty tight, but the infant sized prefolds that I just prepped are GIGANTIC. They didn't shrink down nearly as much as I thought they would- maybe its our lack of a dryer? They are way too big to fit him for a good long while yet. I prepped by boiling for 20 minutes with dish soap, washing once at 80C with no soap (still soapy from boiling), drying over night, then washing once again at 80C with laundry soap. They quilted up but are still gigantic.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:32 pm 
Semen Strong

You can always fold them down! I got the biggest size for Leela after the NBs because I didn't want to buy a lot, and C&S gave us excellent advice to get big ones and fold down. She was floating in them to start, but now fits nicely!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:39 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

We cant figure out how to fold them small enough! they are HUGE on him! he gained 280 g last week (i am so proud of him!) and if he keeps that up, maybe they will fit in a month? any good online how to fold the prefolds smaller? my googling failed me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:50 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

And we're officially in again! Yay! Elijah's here (born on Sunday) and I've started using cloth once we got home... I am loving the non-chemical smell

His NB Super Lite covers barely fit *sniff*... Is my kid really that big or do these run smaller than what the cover says? He is 8lbs7oz today (8lbs11oz at birth)

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:20 pm 
Nooch of Earl

NB size usually means <=8lb in clothing, so it might be the same for covers? I think we used ours a bit longer than that, though. Maybe your diapers/inserts are too big? What are you using? We had good luck with nb fitters from ESBaby and Sugar Plum Baby (etsy).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:57 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I think Bummis runs a bit small, at least in the NB and S sizes. I never bought size NB Bummis, but started with size S because they are supposed to fit down to 8 lbs. I did buy NB (well, they call them XS) Thirsties though, and they were absolutely necessary because I never could have put a newborn in size S Thirsties.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 52  Next