| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Quitting/Wanting to Quit Smoking Support Thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:05 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I quit one year and 4 months ago (after over 10 years of smoking), and it was both easier and harder than I thought it would be. I was really, really lucky... my sister had to quit for medical reasons so I quit with her and it was soooo helpful to have someone to go through it with. I swear, I didn't get any work done that first week because we just texted each other back and forth and whined all day!

But you really have to be READY to quit before you can succeed. That was the difference between the times I tried to quit before (when I failed) and this last time (when I succeeded). I was so ready to be done with that part of my life and it gave me a level of determination I didn't have before.

My best advice is to change up your routine as much as you can. And if you fall off the wagon get back on. Messing up and giving up are two different things, and you CAN pick up where you left off! Good luck to everyone who's quitting!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:46 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Sally8180 wrote:
Love this thread! I was noodling around on the forums, playing around with moving towards veganism. I saw that this thread exists and that sealed the deal...PPK is my one stop shop for stopping all the horrible shiitake I do to myself and the planet.

So, after about a three day warm up...Welcome to day 1. I will not light the next one. :)

welcome! let us know how quitting goes- we can do it!!!

"It's very dear to me, the issue of GAY MARRIAGE. Or, as I like to call it: 'MARRIAGE.' You know, because I had lunch this afternoon, not gay lunch. I parked my car; I didn't gay park it." -Liz Feldman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:54 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I quit smoking 3 years ago, but I just wanted to come in here and offer some support! It was the hardest shiitake I ever had to do, but it was worth the agony, and then some! I tried to quit literally hundreds of times, it was horrible. But now, years later, I can be around cigarettes all day long and never want one. It's the best thing I ever did for myself. Much luck to all of you!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:00 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I second the above. I found it so hard, and every now and then I would get really drunk, find out the next day I'd had a couple, and feel gross and awful.

These days - even the smell of cigarettes makes me feel disgusted, I've turned into a militant ex-smoker :P. I can't stand to be nearby. This is a contrast to the days where I would stand beside someone smoking, trying to get a second-hand hit!! :P

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:29 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Doing pretty well so far! I filched one from a friend at work and broke down and ate half a non-vegan danish during a work meeting, but aside from that I've stayed on the wagon. The danish wasn't even because I was craving cheese, I was just hungry and hadn't planned well.

So, yee-haw. My allergies are definitely dying down, and that is super encouraging. I've discovered Trader Joe's maple cookies, chickpea cutlets, and chocolate pumpkin loaf, so any fantasies I may have harbored about becoming one of those Thin Vegans you hear about are definitely right out the window.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:22 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm still working on becoming vegan, but I'm getting pretty good at the quitting smoking. December was 4 years quit for me. I quit for 6 years before that, but let depression get the better of me.

In the beginning, you just have to do it "for now." Use all of the little bumps that make you want to smoke as ammunition against the next craving - I didn't smoke when that thing happened, so I really can't justify smoking now.

For me, it was a question of control. I hate being an addict. And every craving is just the addict in my/your head telling lies. So play your own mind games to beat the addict mind games.

Do what works. Rubber band on the wrist to stop cravings? Something for the oral fixation? I worked on the 6th floor of a building, and I convinced myself that if I wanted to smoke, what I was really doing was depriving myself of oxygen, so if I wanted to gasp for breath, what I really needed to do was run down and up the stairs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:41 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

85 days in for me. Cold turkey. Not one drag in those 85 days.

It's easy now. I have a hard craving about once every two days but it only lasts a minute or so.

I've "quit" at least 10 times in my life. I've learned from my failed attempts. The biggest thing I learned is that I can NEVER cheat. This is the first time I quit were I didn't sneak a drag from a friend or smoke "just one" at the bar.

Good luck everyone!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:05 pm 
Saggy Butt

I've gotten to a level of unemployed broke-ness where I really can't justify spending $6 on cigarettes every other day. I have a box of nicotine gum and I think after this pack I am going to switch to that. In addition to being broke as hell I've also been short of breath a lot lately and I know smoking is probably to blame. I was quit for about a year about a year ago and I felt so much better when I wasn't smoking. Tell me I can do this!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:02 am 
Not NOT A Furry

You can do this! Just keep reminding yourself that this is what YOU want and have decided upon.
It'll probably be not even as difficult as you imagined.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:02 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

sftravis wrote:
85 days in for me. Cold turkey. Not one drag in those 85 days.

It's easy now. I have a hard craving about once every two days but it only lasts a minute or so.

I've "quit" at least 10 times in my life. I've learned from my failed attempts. The biggest thing I learned is that I can NEVER cheat. This is the first time I quit were I didn't sneak a drag from a friend or smoke "just one" at the bar.

Good luck everyone!

Yep this exactly. I am so jealous of those people who can smoke socially or just every so often. For me it's half a pack a day, or NOTHING.

I am on Day 1 of quitting now, cold turkey as well. I bought myself some vegan saltwater taffy.

I might not be checking this thread too often because at this point even reading the word "cigarette" is too much to handle!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:07 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm in awe of all you quitters! As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I took the wimpy way out and switched to an e-cig last year. I've reduced the nicotine down to 12 mg per ml, which is about the equivalent of a light cigarette. The next step down is 6 mg, which is like an ultra light. I'm vaping less too and don't feel the need to carry it with me constantly.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:38 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I quit for seven years, but picked the habit back up again after I got laid off eighteen months ago. Then I discovered Blu e-cigs and I can't recommend them highly enough. I still get to do all the fidgety things that go with smoking, and I still get my nicotine, but I don't get all the other crepe that's in tobacco smoke.

Blu are also the only propylene-glycol-free e-cig that I know of (not that there may be no others; I just don't know about them if there are). The "smoke juice" in the cartridges is distilled water, nicotine, flavorings, glycerin, and citric acid. I think they make some nicotine-free cartridges, too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:39 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Just popping in to say good for you, quitters! You can do it. Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:13 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Reviving this thread. Trying to quit (cold turkey so far)! I want to be pretty far along with this by the time school starts in the fall!

Stuff I hope helps:
smartphone app to keep track, remind me why
order of $20 worth of vegan gum on its way
determination!
some sort of reward at the end of a month

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:16 pm 
Semen Strong

I have two friends whose parents are in the hospital dying of end stage lung cancer. I am just so sad for them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i really want to quit. but my boyfriend is an even more serious smoker than me (i smoke around 20 cigarettes a day!) and i just know that i will hate his smell if i quit. i don't smoke inside at home, which means that i can smell people who smoke inside a lot more, than if i smoked inside. imagine if i didn't smoke at all? i know it is a horribly weird excuse, but i am pretty serious.. when i met him i was 2 weeks into quitting, and then i just fell right back in the habit.
i know for a fact that he is not interested in quitting at all.

how do i handle this? help! i want to quit for my health and to avoid spending 50% of my spending money on cigarettes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

48 hours (chewing 5-7 piecesof 2 mg nicotine gum a day). I want to kill somebody. How am I ever going to survive a day in school without being mean to someone or yelling at them? Aaaaargh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:48 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

smoothie wrote:
48 hours (chewing 5-7 piecesof 2 mg nicotine gum a day). I want to kill somebody. How am I ever going to survive a day in school without being mean to someone or yelling at them? Aaaaargh

smoothie do they sell swedish snus in Denmark? It's good stuff, better than the NRT like gum and patches cause it's real tobacco. I find it very satisfying and I know people who have quit smoking using it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snus

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:50 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Hey smoothie! I recently read your post on SAD and wanted to offer some moral support. I don't know if this connection is the same for you, but I know that once I went off anti-depressants, I smoked like mad--cigs and meds affect those same brain areas, and well, I struggle with depression. So there's that.

HOWEVER. It is a process. And I tried and could not do it with the gum. Seems like the patch is the thing that keeps me off cigs the most consistently. I think maybe because it's a consistent dose into your bloodstream? I also don't have the hand to mouth habit issue that a lot of people have, that's never been it for me. It just made my brains feel happier.

Best of luck! We're here to support you :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:56 pm 
Nailed to the V

Congrats to all who quit smoking.

My mom has been in the hospital for going on 7 weeks. Severe brain damage due to "brittle veins" in her brain which caused several strokes. All due to smoking. Lot's of other health issues from being a life long smoker. She's basically at the point of being brain dead but her body keeps functioning, or is being kept alive artificially. Dad can't bring himself to let her go. He also doesn't believe any of her problems are due to smoking and he still smokes too. He's addicted too.

She wasn't just addicted to smoking, she was a junkie. All she wanted to do is stay home, watch tv and smoke endless packs. When she had breast cancer the doctor asked, "You've quit smoking, right?" Mom, who never lies, said, "I'm down to three cigarettes a day" and that was ok with her, smoking while also on chemo and later radiation.

She was a Sunday school teacher, volunteer hospital worker and the best mom ever. A genuinely good person. She tried to quit several times in her life, but the addiction was too strong for her.

Seriously, do whatever you can do to quit.

eta: just got a call from my sister at the hospital. They've moved her to the palliative care 'end of life' floor at the hospital. We haven't told dad that this is where she's going to slowly die, she's off life support, he thinks she's there to wait for a bed to become available at a nursing home for her. She's severely brain damaged, due to smoking, but dad can't bring himself to accepting it.

Anyway, yeah, quit smoking.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:59 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

By tonight, I will have been a non-smoker for a full week! it feels really awesome. I am SO happy with the nicotine gum, I am using 4-6 pieces of 2 mg gum (the pack says to use 10-24 pieces and start off with 4 mg if you smoke 20 or more cigarettes a day, which has been my thing for.. 11 years), but the low dose is working just fine for me. I had a day of terrible terrible want to rip someones hair out-mood, but it seems like that was the big blow. I even went out 2 nights without smoking.

I don't even crave smoking that badly anymore, I just get pangs of wanting it, but then it passes within a minute or two. Doing a little more candy than usual, but I'm fine with that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:31 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Good for you Smoothie!!!!!

The cravings, in my experience, will always be there. But you get better and better at saying "yeah, so?" the same way that the little lizard part of your brain looks at say, a giant non-vegan ice cream sundae and says "oooh i want" but the rest of you says "uh, no, you dope, we don't eat that shiitake anymore". Congrats Smoothie, you're doing a really awesome thing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:12 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

YEAH WAY TO KICK THOSE BUTTS SMOOTHIE!!!! :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

8 days! i am rocking this quitting thing. i've even been hanging out with my boyfriend outside (= him smoking at least a few cigarettes) and it's been.. fine. just fine. of course i would totally love a cigarette, but it's not like i NEED one. so i just don't.

and the last time i quit, i quit for 10 months and i actually didn't feel like i was craving cigarettes after a few months. i think 3 weeks and then it was on complete recline for me. keep your fingers crossed that it's the same thing this time!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:21 pm 
Huffs Nooch

That's great, smoothie!

I quit one month ago after smoking on and off for about 7 years, completely on the last 3 years. I am using an e-cig, which I bought several months ago just to quit smoking in my car. For the past month I think I've been getting about the same amount of nicotine as I was smoking regular cigarettes, but I'm on my last 18 mg cartomizer and will be on 8 mg for a few weeks before I go down to the 0 mg cartomizer. When I gave up cigarettes, I just wanted to stop smoking tobacco and wasn't concerned about my nicotine addiction, but now I'm ready to walk that down.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next