| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 95  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:35 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Guineapig, do you by any chance have a Just Between Friends near you? It's a huge consignment sale event that is really big enough to be able to buy a full season's worth of clothes. I bought all of Lydia's summer clothes there earlier this year, and I just bought basically all of her winter clothes a couple weeks ago. It's nice because the selection is just so much bigger than a regular consignment store (assuming your local one is as big as mine is).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:28 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Oops, I just noticed that Tofulish already mentioned consignment events....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:14 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I mentioned this in another thread, but we're big fans of eBay. Aside from pajamas and a few onesies, I've bought just two things new for freya, at ten months. Freecycle can be great too, though there are usually fewer offerings around here for older baby clothes. On ebay, search for "bundle" and that helps you find bargains.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:34 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

refinnej wrote:
I mentioned this in another thread, but we're big fans of eBay. Aside from pajamas and a few onesies, I've bought just two things new for freya, at ten months. Freecycle can be great too, though there are usually fewer offerings around here for older baby clothes. On ebay, search for "bundle" and that helps you find bargains.

I second ebay! There's so much stuff there -- search for 'job lot' or 'lot', too.
I've managed to get all my kids' clothes second hand except for socks, underwear, and one pair of shoes that were an emergency (Beet said his shoes were too tight and was screaming and wouldn't walk -- which is problematic when you don't have a car and are grocery shopping). Anyway, ever since the emergency shoes, I've made sure I have a size up in everything just in case. There are second-hand/'nearly new' baby sales here and I stock up there and I get whatever I can when we go to charity shops (which is not often, since I don't get out much). But we can't find everything we need at charity shops and sales, but ebay has everything.

Freecycle is cool, too, and also craigslist!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:38 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I have a Mei Tai and I loved our back carries... and so did Samuel. He was so comfy in there and hey, no crotch dangling. Yay!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:41 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

helbury wrote:
Guineapig, do you by any chance have a Just Between Friends near you? It's a huge consignment sale event that is really big enough to be able to buy a full season's worth of clothes. I bought all of Lydia's summer clothes there earlier this year, and I just bought basically all of her winter clothes a couple weeks ago. It's nice because the selection is just so much bigger than a regular consignment store (assuming your local one is as big as mine is).

I just have to second this, even if it's too late for GP. Our local JBF sale runs once in the spring and once in the fall, which I find really convenient. You can easily find a whole season's wardrobe, toys, etc. for cheap. I even found a baby Bjorn last time for $5!

P.S. I don't have any affiliation with JBF... I just think it's really great!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:56 am 
Married to the wolfman

Plus a billion to buying baby/kid clothes used. I do find that around 2T thrift stores suddenly have much less stuff for a few sizes. I think kids in the 2-4T range are just really hard on their clothes and not as much survives. (That makes sense to me as E has been in 2T for uh, over 2 years now.)

Along with thrift stores, I have had really good luck at yard sales. That of course is going to depend on where you live, but if you find someone selling stuff to your taste, you can often pick up like half a wardrobe for pennies. And if they love nearby, maybe make a new acquaintance too!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:59 am 
Inflexitarian

Thanks for the advice everyone. Next year, when i have more time I'll check out these options

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:26 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I just found out that a children's consignment store is starting right next door to where I work. AND (you guys!) they're taking year-round clothing! None of that filling up the car, driving an hour, and getting to the consignment shop to find out they're only taking winter/fall/whatever-I-don't-have clothing right now (which has been my plan of action for the past two years). I'm so freaking excited.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:25 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We got some great stuff at our local consignment shop, really good brands for super cheap. I have been buying grey 2T and up and just rolling up sleeves and pants. I figure he will probably wear this stuff u til next winter so I am buying top he ore expensive, good quality stuff at the consignment shops. His striped jeans that I got him in April are just about to get a hole in the knee, he has been crawling in them for 6 months so I think that is pretty good!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:39 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I have been loving consignment right now too. Wolverine is at a point now that I think his clothes will last a while so I want him to have good quality stuff but I can't afford it new. He also goes to daycare and messes his clothes up a lot and needs spares there too.

So my kid hates chocolate. I didn't even think that was possible.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:42 am 

There are a few different consignment shops and sales here. There's one that's a fundraiser for our local Parents of Multiples group. I got a huge garbage bag full of stuff, including 3 waterproof mattress pads, tons of onesies, lots of really cute clothes, tights, socks, and some other stuff I can't even remember now for under $100.

My mom and I were in Babies R' Us picking up a few things, and I saw a cute jacket, but it was $40. I just can't see spending that much on something baby will probably only wear for a month. I have trouble buying shirts that cost that much for myself, and I'm not even growing anymore. Well, not vertically...ha.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:43 am 
Semen Strong

DTBK!!!!! So nice to see you! You know we *need* belly pictures, right?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:10 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

hey DTBK, can I interest you in 2 extra-small fitted BumGenius? I got em on a mega-sale and Sierra has grown out of them...PM me your address if you'd like em!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:31 pm 

Audrey, PM'd you!

Tofulish, I'm around, I've just been spinning in about 20 directions. I will try and post some belly updates this weekend! I am growing really fast now!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:59 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

At dinner tonight, Lucy was telling us about her day. She said, as part of a larger story about playing on the playground, that a little boy said to her, "I'm going to kill you." I'm pretty sure it was part of some pretend play, but I'm really not happy. I realize kids pick up all sorts of words (we've heard damnit and fork come out of her little mouth before), but this really upset me. These kids are all three years old - I really didn't expect to be having to explain to her that "kill" is not a nice word that we don't say....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:47 pm 
Married to the wolfman

"Kill" entered the Emperor's vocabulary lately. I suspect he first heard it from older kids at the park, but then it's come up in books we've read etc. (We're just finishing reading The Hobbit for instance, in which a number of various things are killed while trying to kill Bilbo & friends. It's weird, I don't think of it as a particularly violent book but... There you go.)

It sucks to have to try to explain the concept of "killing" to a 3 year old, but I think it's pretty common for the concept to first come up around this age.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:57 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks for the perspective! I know I shouldn't be surprised. I think it's the context that bothered me - referring specifically to killing another child, even though I think it goes without saying the little boy certainly didn't mean it literally.

Also, totally random. Lucy has had a sty for like months now. It's maddening. Since it's an infection of sorts, I decided to squirt breastmilk in her eye. It's totally shrinking! It's totally ridiculous and I had to bribe her with a lollipop to get her to hold still long enough, but it worked.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:21 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I have a question that involves breastfeeding, sleep, and pediatricians, so I guess it can go in the randomness thread. At Scarlett's 4 month check-up this week, her pediatrician asked how she's sleeping, and I said she wakes up 2-3 times to nurse over the 12 hours she's in bed, and to me that seemed pretty great! He told me that since at this age she doesn't actually need to eat at night, I could try to wean her off of them and work on getting her to sleep through the night. Obviously I'm free to take his advice or leave it, but really? It seems like most of the breastfed babies here are still nursing at night at a year old. Not that you're all necessarily happy about that... So maybe it does make sense to start working on it now? The main reason I'm inclined to just nurse at night as much as she wants is because three days a week I'm gone for 12 hours, and I miss her so much and I imagine she misses me too and wants to be close to me at night. Of course, 12 hour days means I could also really use some better sleep in order to function better. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:32 am 
Semen Strong

Is he giving you a reason why you should nightwean? I think you just need to do what is best for your family :). A friend of mine nightweaned her twins at 3 months because she needed the sleep and her nearly 2 year olds are doing great. We nurse on demand and that means she finds me and latches on about 2-3 times a night. I don't see a need to alter her behavior and not give her what she wants (even if nightweaning took only a few days), bc I get plenty of sleep. My ped wanted us to nightwean bc it was better for me_I'd get more sleep but I'm fine and she isn't my MD so I ignored her.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:35 am 
***LIES!!!***

Our ped said that, too, and I don't believe it. Malka still wakes up once sometimes at night to eat and she'll finish a whole bottle in that time - we've tried soothing her back to sleep in other ways, and it doesn't work. Some kids just digest faster or can't get enough food in their bellies during the day. I don't think there's a neat cut-off where all babies should be able to sleep through the night without eating, but you also can probably guess when she's feeding because she's hungry and when she's doing it because she wants a cuddle and try to cuddle her back to sleep instead (or have your partner do it - no milk smell).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:38 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

HA HA HA HA! No, really, Raygold was still night nursing until about 3 months ago and he turned 2 in May. Night weaning is HARD and I don't think it's at all unreasonable to nurse a 1 year old 2-3 times a night over 12 hours, especially if you are gone for so long 3x a week.
So, I say keep on night-nursing, unless it's really killing you. I can see why you might want to take your doctor's advice if you're still night nursing at 2, though!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:19 am 
And you never will.

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
HA HA HA HA! No, really, Raygold was still night nursing until about 3 months ago and he turned 2 in May. Night weaning is HARD and I don't think it's at all unreasonable to nurse a 1 year old 2-3 times a night over 12 hours, especially if you are gone for so long 3x a week.
So, I say keep on night-nursing, unless it's really killing you. I can see why you might want to take your doctor's advice if you're still night nursing at 2, though!!

All of this. Poopiebaby turned 2 in July and is still nursing around 2 times a night, then nursing non-stop from about 5am until we get up (usually around 7). This is a huge improvement over just a couple of months ago, when he was nursing around 4-5 times a night. Of course every baby is different and you should definitely do what YOU feel comfortable with, but thinking back to poopiebaby at 4 months old I can't help but laugh hysterically at the idea of trying to night-wean him.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:46 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

mooo lately I've been wondering too if it would be possible to night-wean Sierra too (she's 5 months now.) But I also realize that 3 or 4 days a week she's not nursing much at all during the day, since I get home like 2 hours before she usually goes to bed and has gotten into a routine of only drinking at most 9oz in the 8 hours I'm gone. She's getting to be quite a little chubber so she must be getting most of her calories overnight. It drives me mad some days but when I think about it, I'm kinda glad, especially since for me pumping doesn't work so well.
I sorta add sleep-training to nutrition as another thing I don't really want my dr's opinion on.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:05 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Moooo, I night weaned Walter over the summer (it took probably 6 weeks, and was miserable), but he was a year and a half, and I could tell the night nursing was impacting his sleep. He was really grouchy and falling asleep before lunch. He needed good sleep more than he needed night boob. However, for a while he was actually hungry, and I replaced the nursing with a piece of bread and glass of milk, or something bland like that. I would bring him down to the table to eat, and for a while he acted really hungry and ate, but eventually he decided it wasn't worth getting out of bed. Now he's sleeping roughly 7pm-4am, nursing, sleeping 4am-7am.

So I guess what I'm saying is that if you can deal with it, and Scarlett seems rested, keep nursing at night. Some kids really do need calories overnight.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 95  Next