| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I have ZERO Vegan friends - let's have MARSHMALLOW FIGHT
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:55 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

kohlrabenschwarz wrote:
Hi, I also have no vegan or even vegetarian friends irl. A few used to be vegetarian, but who knows what happened. Looks like we're also on similar dietary timelines, as I went vegetarian at 12 or 13, then vegan at 17, and am now 23. Marshmallow fights might be fun if vegan marshmallows weren't so expensive. I've only bought them once in a decade of being vegetarian because of the price. Maybe in a few years I'll be desperate enough for smores to buy them again.

Yeah. It's really hard for me to meet veggie friends. It's like if you aren't wearing a "kiss me I'm vegan" t-shirt, no one knows you're a veg-head. Honestly, it's hard for me to meet friends at all. People are often intimidated by my looks but I am really a total dork and super nice lol.

I'm 21, so that is cool that we are close in age.

We should make s'mores sometime. What's your name? =]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:59 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

dakini wrote:
eatsbabies wrote:
I also went vegan when I was 17 and am now 21. Philly is pretty close but I've never been there. One day!

I want to watch Buffy, but I don't seem to have enough time lately, and there are so many seasons that I get a bit intimidated. I have seen Firefly, though, but it's been years, and I've seen some of Heroes.

Brooklyn is adorable! What kinds of music do you like?

I can totally understand why you'd feel that way about Buffy. But dive in! I promise you won't regret it. I watched it when it first aired and have re-watched it a few times since, and it has stood the test of time for me.

Totally. As dakini said, dive in! Because Buffy is that rare gem of a show that people need to see. I grew up with Buffy and she taught me so many life lessons that no one else was around to do for me. There is so much more than just a vampire show there. Please do consider it, you're really depriving yourself of quality entertainment if you don't. Promise you will love it. =]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:14 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

eatsbabies wrote:
I also went vegan when I was 17 and am now 21. Philly is pretty close but I've never been there. One day!

I want to watch Buffy, but I don't seem to have enough time lately, and there are so many seasons that I get a bit intimidated. I have seen Firefly, though, but it's been years, and I've seen some of Heroes.

Brooklyn is adorable! What kinds of music do you like?

Yeah, Philly is worth seeing...I think. lol. I mean, I haven't really been anywhere else besides PA. Besides NJ and NYC... but does NJ really even count? We are practically the same state lol.

Like I said before, definitely watch Buffy, if you ever have the chance. It's so much fun. =]

How much Heroes have you seen? Are you one od the ones that stopped after season 2? I totally get that lol.

Music - everything. Some of my favorite bands and artists are A7X, Muse, Haste The Day, Atreyu, IDT, Metric, The Hives, Placebo, Thrice, Rise Against, The Strokes, CRUD, Dillinger Escape Plan, Kesha, Franz Ferdinand, Damien Rice, MGMT, Anberlin. I really just like GOOD music. It doesn't matter what genre it is. I have been listening to a lot of indie rock lately though. <3

What do you listen to?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:46 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

choirqueer wrote:
MentalFiction7x wrote:

Your Pumpkin Rainbow Mac looks interesting fersure. I would try to make it today myself but I don't have nutritional yeast. Actually, I have searched all of Philadelphia for nutritional yeast with no luck. </3

I usually bulk-order nutritional yeast from Amazon. I use sooooooooooo much of it! But if you want to buy local, I know the Weaver's Way Coop definitely has it. Mariposa probably does too, but I've never been there so I couldn't say for sure.

So cool, let's hang out sometime! PM me as you wish!

You're right, that is probably the best way to go, buying it in bulk online. I will definitely check out those stores, thanks!

I will PM you now. =]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:51 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

MentalFiction7x wrote:
Wow, that sounds amazing, like creamsicles. How did it turn out? The most recent thing I have baked was Pumpkin Chocolate- Chip cookies which were awesome dipped in coffee. Hehe. This time of year everything is pumpkin flavor in this house. =]

I'm a whiskey gal myself. I actually drinked for the first time with my bestfriend this weekend since before I was pregnant with my girls so yeah. I was tipsy at about two drinks deep. Haha. =]

What about you? What's your poison?

Yes, i believe dreamsicle and creamsicle are either regional or just different brand names for the same thing. The cake turned out well, but I'm always one to improve things, so next time I think I would spread some orange marmalade between the layers as well, and maybe fill with vanilla custard, then the vanilla butter cream on the outside.
Your cookies sound great. I'm all about pumpkin everything this time of year too!
Whisky is one drink I can't get into very much. My favorite hard liquors are gin and rum. Favorite mixed drink is a dirty martini. I'm also a big wine fan. I usually go for reds, especially the really big, dry reds, like California cabernet sauvignon. My favorite white is South African or Australian sauvignong blanch. Yes, I can be specific!
Congrats on your first drinks since the babies! Speaking of your girls, I'm sorry to hear they are in the hospital. I hope they are doing ok and get to come home soon!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:06 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

MentalFiction7x wrote:
kohlrabenschwarz wrote:
Hi, I also have no vegan or even vegetarian friends irl. A few used to be vegetarian, but who knows what happened. Looks like we're also on similar dietary timelines, as I went vegetarian at 12 or 13, then vegan at 17, and am now 23. Marshmallow fights might be fun if vegan marshmallows weren't so expensive. I've only bought them once in a decade of being vegetarian because of the price. Maybe in a few years I'll be desperate enough for smores to buy them again.

Yeah. It's really hard for me to meet veggie friends. It's like if you aren't wearing a "kiss me I'm vegan" t-shirt, no one knows you're a veg-head. Honestly, it's hard for me to meet friends at all. People are often intimidated by my looks but I am really a total dork and super nice lol.

I'm way too paranoid to actually give out my name (even just my first name) on the Internetz.

But yeah, it's not like you can look at a person and know whether they eat meat. Although people have assumed I was veg before I even told them. I apparently look like a vegan. And the fact that people are intimidated by your appearance makes me wonder what you look like, but I won't ask for pics because I'm not a creep. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:55 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

kohlrabenschwarz wrote:
MentalFiction7x wrote:
kohlrabenschwarz wrote:

I'm way too paranoid to actually give out my name (even just my first name) on the Internetz.

But yeah, it's not like you can look at a person and know whether they eat meat. Although people have assumed I was veg before I even told them. I apparently look like a vegan. And the fact that people are intimidated by your appearance makes me wonder what you look like, but I won't ask for pics because I'm not a creep. ;)

lol understood. You aren't a creep either, it's natural to be curious. "I apparently look like a vegan" makes me curious as well. =]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:26 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
MentalFiction7x wrote:
Wow, that sounds amazing, like creamsicles. How did it turn out? The most recent thing I have baked was Pumpkin Chocolate- Chip cookies which were awesome dipped in coffee. Hehe. This time of year everything is pumpkin flavor in this house. =]

I'm a whiskey gal myself. I actually drinked for the first time with my bestfriend this weekend since before I was pregnant with my girls so yeah. I was tipsy at about two drinks deep. Haha. =]

What about you? What's your poison?

Yes, i believe dreamsicle and creamsicle are either regional or just different brand names for the same thing. The cake turned out well, but I'm always one to improve things, so next time I think I would spread some orange marmalade between the layers as well, and maybe fill with vanilla custard, then the vanilla butter cream on the outside.
Your cookies sound great. I'm all about pumpkin everything this time of year too!
Whisky is one drink I can't get into very much. My favorite hard liquors are gin and rum. Favorite mixed drink is a dirty martini. I'm also a big wine fan. I usually go for reds, especially the really big, dry reds, like California cabernet sauvignon. My favorite white is South African or Australian sauvignong blanch. Yes, I can be specific!
Congrats on your first drinks since the babies! Speaking of your girls, I'm sorry to hear they are in the hospital. I hope they are doing ok and get to come home soon!

Haha, that is very specific. Rum is good. One time at this college party I ran out of my trusty whiskey and some friends gave me bubblegum rum to drink. It was too yummy for me really. Drank it to fast and well I didn't see the end of that party lol. This is why tasty drinks are so dangerous.

I haven't tried many wines honestly. My partner Richard makes me try different kinds but maybe I just don't have a taste for the ones that he does. One mixed drink that he did introduce me to was Swedish Fish (blackhaus with cranberry juice). It is pretty good but it does make you sick if you drink too much. Not just because of the alcohol though, it's just disgustingly sweet which is unexpected.

Thanks so much! They are doing awesome and if things stay this way they should be home before we know it. :]

Your cake sounds awesome really, if you're willing to share the recipe please do. Or picutes. =]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:21 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I just googled "vegan orange cake" and used the first recipe that came up. Most of them seemed to be based on a recipe from The Joy of Baking. The frosting was just a basic vegan vanilla frosting. You could use the one from vegan cupcakes take over the world or any other you like. I don't think I got a picture, but I will double check. I haven't learned how to post pictures here yet, but I'm getting better with my camera, and I think within a month or two I'll be posting pics here, so if I have a pic of this cake, I will post it eventually.

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2