| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216 ... 311  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pregnancy Updates Thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:33 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Ariann wrote:
From what I read on GBS, it seems like getting prophylactic antibiotics doesn't actually reduce deaths from infection, just reduces deaths from GBS infection (and replaces them with e. coli infections, possibly caused by all the antibiotics).

Woah, really? I find that pretty scary. Any links on that?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:36 pm 
***LIES!!!***

It has taken me forever to find a source for this! I think I read it in Henci Goer's "Thinking Woman's Birth," but that book is packed up now. I think she based some of her analysis on this study: http://www.ajog.org/article/S0002-9378% ... 6/abstract which says this talking about an increased use of ampicillin during labor to prevent neonatal sepsis (the cause of death in GBS cases):
Quote:
The incidence of early-onset neonatal sepsis with group B streptococci decreased during this time, whereas the incidence of early-onset sepsis with non–group B streptococcal organisms, especially Escherichia coli, increased.... The increased administration of antenatal ampicillin to pregnant women may be responsible for the increased incidence of early-onset neonatal sepsis with non–group B streptococcal organisms that are resistant to ampicillin.

I don't think ampicillin is standard of care for GBS any more (it's penicillin), but of course there's still unfortunately bacteria out there that are resistant to various abx (probably more important if you need alternatives to penicillin).

GBS is problematic because it is so incredibly rare for there to be a bad result from an infection, but would you want it to happen to you? So we accept potentially really problematic prophylactic treatments so we can avoid the potentially terrible thing.

If you're having antibiotics during labor, be proactive and take probiotics at least leading up to it and during the treatment.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:52 pm 
Married to the wolfman

littlebird wrote:
If they peter out i might be too embarrassed to go back to class because i left so abruptly. It hurts though!

Ha ha ha... I hope that means this is it! I put off mentioning to anyone that I thought I might really be in labor with M for like 12 hours because I felt so preemptively grumpy about having to be like "jk!" later.

Someone should do a study about grumpiness as an indicator of the onset of labor. Looking back that was really my only clue.

Anyway lb, if this is it, good luck!!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:25 am 
Nailed to the V

My little guy arrived on October 9 -- right on time just like I'd been begging him for the last month of the pregnancy. He's a happy, healthy baby boy. Thanks to everyone for your advice during my pregnancy. I'm sure I will have lots of parenting questions now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:33 am 
Married to the wolfman

Congratulations bcakes!! Glad all is well!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:08 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yay, bcakes! We want a birth story! We all know you're not sleeping anyway, so no excuses. ;D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:48 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Congrats, bcakes! Hope you're drowning in baby snuggles!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:45 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yay, congrats bcakes!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:59 am 
Semen Strong

Congratulations bcakes and mapmapmap! YAY FOR BABY BOYS!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:40 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Congrats!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:20 am 
Semen Strong

Every time you post LB, I think Babybird is flying the nest!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:30 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Woohoo, bcakes! Congrats!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:42 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Congratulations bcakes!!! Name? Story? Pics (or it didn't happen)?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:48 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Congrats bcakes!

(I can't believe Ariann just posted that, hee)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:06 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

congrats bcakes!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:06 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Congratulations bcakes!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:18 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Congrats bcakes and mapmapmap!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:09 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

We had another appt today. We decided to do the early screening tests so I had another u/s and more blood drawn. The u/s tech tried to just do an external u/s but couldn’t find the baby so we had to do an internal one and she asked me if I had a tilted uterus. I was like BAROO??? I have no idea how one would know if they have a tilted uterus unless someone told them! We were lucky because the baby was lying in the perfect position to get the u/s pictures. She said it has to be in a perfect profile position so they can see the back of the neck and I guess it’s harder to do that internally because the field of vision is smaller I think. So it just happened that BabyPunk was right in the perfect position. The tech said we had a very well behaved child ;-)
I loved that the baby actually looked like a baby now instead of a weird alien blob. I could see it’s heart beating and it was waving its arms around. It was dang cute in my opinion. 
After that we saw the dr. it wasn’t my normal dr cause she is at the hospital on “labor and delivery” this week so it was some dude. I told him I felt like death and wasn’t sure if I was about to projectile vomit all over him. He seemed unphased by this. Apparently rather than rampant nausea I may have rampant heartburn. Whatever it is it lives in my throat and makes me feel like im about to puke ALL. THE. DAMN. TIME. he told me to try a 2 week course of prilosec and I should start feeling better soon anyways. I know that that’s true (I just hit 12 weeks yesterday) but dang it could be like a couple more WEEKS of feeling like this. I feel barely functional. Oy. We stopped at the pharmacy on the way out and bought some prilosec. I really hope it helps. Other than that he said the u/s pics looked good. We go back in another month.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:20 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LisaPunk - I totally had heartburn all through my third trimester, but I didn't know that THAT's what heartburn is. I literally thought my heart/chest area would be sore/burn/whatever, but nope. You'll feel way better now that you now what it is and can take care of it a bit! (And how exciting that your little bean is looking like a little baby now! Isn't it awesome when that happens?)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:38 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Glad to hear the u/s was good LP! Hopefully it *will* get better soon. That "so tired I could die, no wait maybe I'm already dead" feeling definitely disappeared for me in the 2nd trimester.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:14 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

bodhi wrote:
LisaPunk - I totally had heartburn all through my third trimester, but I didn't know that THAT's what heartburn is. I literally thought my heart/chest area would be sore/burn/whatever, but nope. You'll feel way better now that you now what it is and can take care of it a bit! (And how exciting that your little bean is looking like a little baby now! Isn't it awesome when that happens?)

yeah i NEVER suspected heartburn. my husband actually suggested it this morning and i was like "well it is in my throat whatever it is" it doesnt really feel like burning per se.
i just have like a severe discomfort in my throat at all times that feels like vomit is going to spray out everywhere exorcist style.
really hoping the prilosec kicks in soon. it said 1-4 days on the box but some people feel relief in 24 hours. i also ate a couple TUMS earlier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:14 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

refinnej wrote:
Glad to hear the u/s was good LP! Hopefully it *will* get better soon. That "so tired I could die, no wait maybe I'm already dead" feeling definitely disappeared for me in the 2nd trimester.

i dont think i could have described it better myself!!! that is EXACTLY how i feel!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:19 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

i have a tilted uterus too, lisapunk, and i also had someone ask about in my last pregnancy like it would just be something i should have known before hand.

fyi, it might also mean that your cervix is tilted too, which might make cervical exams during and before labour quite uncomfortable. don't be afraid to tell your care provider no thank-you if they want to do those exams and it's too painful. it's quite a limited amount of info they can gather from them anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:12 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

My cervix is tilted. I spent Wednesday night in the hospital thinking I was in labor (turns out its just the first stages and it could take days) and it hurt so bad when they wanted to check me.

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:36 am 
Semen Strong

littlebird wrote:
i have a tilted uterus too, lisapunk, and i also had someone ask about in my last pregnancy like it would just be something i should have known before hand.

fyi, it might also mean that your cervix is tilted too, which might make cervical exams during and before labour quite uncomfortable. don't be afraid to tell your care provider no thank-you if they want to do those exams and it's too painful. it's quite a limited amount of info they can gather from them anyway.

I have a tilted uterus and all my medical providers have always commented on, but not one person has mentioned the fact that cervical exams might be uncomfortable - they always just say that I'm sensitive.

Good luck, stuck! I hope you're not stuck in stage 1 labor for too long!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216 ... 311  Next