| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: October Food Spending Challenge!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:16 pm 
Dead by dawn

I did way better in the second week than the first. I spent $36.93 (!) on groceries and $35.95 eating out. About $12 of eating out was two lunches at work because I did screw up sticking to my meal plan a bit. On the good side, all my veggies from last week are still looking perky so I can cook them up in the next few days and didn't need a whole lot of groceries. So far, I am averaging ~$60/week at the grocery store; if I could do that without so much spent eating out, I'd be pretty happy with that figure.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:02 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

We did way better this week as well! We spent $65 on all of our groceries. We spent a little more than i would have liked eating out, but we had friends in town. We still have a fair amount of money left in our eating out budget for the rest of the month, if we stick to cheap places we'll make it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:45 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I am doing good so far this month, only because we basically have no money. I have spent $90 this month, for food through this next week (so three weeks worth of food). Pretty amazing considering that is how much I usually spend in one week. I have been buying a lot less produce, but we have actually been eating most of it, rather than throwing it away. I have also not been buying or making any special "treat" food, other than when DH uses change from the floor of his car to buy soda. Have also lost about 5 pounds this month- probably not coincidence.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:03 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I came in right around $100 last week, so exactly on budget. Today we stocked up for the week and only spent $71! And that was with me accidentally buying another jar of cashew butter when we already had one in the pantry.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:09 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I came in £3 under budget this week. Now I just have to remind myself that I have a cupboard full of good, healthy food and don't need to buy anything else!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:22 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I still have €15 left and I get paid Thursday. So proud. I need to get bread and possibly some veg but that is about it.

I need to get a few big things in the next shop like washing powder and teabags (I'm Irish, I'm fussy about tea) so I'm going to cut back on my health food shop spend. I don't think I need all that much there anyway. I have a decent supply of everything.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:25 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

we were only $6 over budget. not bad. last night I made a stir fry with frozen mixed veggies. it was kinda weird, but at least I used them up and didn't buy anything else. now there's $300 back in that folder, and i'm ready for some good meals. (and there's more space in the freezer.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:43 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

We're doing pretty well keeping to our budget, and we just went grocery shopping yesterday. We should have everything we need for at least a week, other than topping up our fruits/veggies (less than $10 should cover that) at the end of the week.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:04 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm about to blow my budget in New York for the next two weeks. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:21 pm 

I'm kind of late to join this thread, but I've decided to budget $200 each month for just myself (so about $50 a week). I did really badly in September (went over by nearly $70 - not even really sure how, eek) so I'm really trying to stick to it this month and the months to come. I'm including eating out in this $200 budget, which will force me to only eat out very infrequently! I'm doing okay this month, but only have about $44 left in my budget so I'm going to have to be very frugal for the rest of the month. I did cook a lot of stuff on Saturday and have plenty of food in my freezer from that, so I guess I wasn't only buying food for the week when I did my grocery shopping. I really like the idea of taking out your food money in cash - I think that will really help me stick to it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:00 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I spent more than I have been in my online delivery shop this fortnight. €61 leaving me with €39 for fresh fruit and veg and health food shop. I don't need much in the way of veg I think but I have a few things to get in the hfs. I'm going to leave out coconut oil though. As much as I love it I can do without for another 2 weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:24 am 
Semen Strong

So far this month: TJ's $112
Cinnamon Snail $20
Farmer's market $16
WF coffee and snack: $7

My husband bought cauliflower $5

I haven't eaten out once. So my total this far is about $160. I hadn't realized how much I could save being mindful.

I do "need" raw cashews and lentils, so my next shop will be pricier.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:45 am 
Tofu Pup

thanks for the tips..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:33 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

We're doing pretty well, because we're now in the habit of one medium-sized trip every 7-10 days where we buy staples and fresh items(fruit/veg, tofu, bread, etc), with just a top up of fresh items midweek. Spent a bit more this week - partner was buying a few NV items for himself - but not too bad. At the moment, we're pretty low on veggies, but I want to see if we can wait until Sunday to shop again. It's so much harder to keep to the budget when we don't use cash though! (Partner is using his credit card at the moment - eeep!)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:38 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I totally blew it! I spent $110 yesterday on top of the $71 I already spent this week. But my dad is coming to visit for 10 days and he's celiac, so I needed to buy a bunch of GF pantry stapes and some convenience foods to have on hand. In general, though, I'm also feeling really good about how mindful this is making me about my purchasing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:13 pm 

Did my last big shop of the month, and spent $41.62 so I have $2.64 left in my October budget! I still need to get brussels sprouts for a recipe (they were out today) so I should come in right at budget. I think I'm good to go for the rest of the month, I have a ton of food in my freezer so I do not need to spend more money! haha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:23 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

We managed to only spend $70 for this week! The bad news is we're already out of eating out money. Either way, we have so much more money in our bank account than usual. This is exciting.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:19 pm 
Dead by dawn

$73.80 on groceries this week, and $23.62 eating out. So far this month I am averaging a total of $102/week, including eating out. It's more than I would like, but not horribly off the mark. Each week I have had one occasion where eating out was worthwhile; I just need to eliminate the rest of it (buying lunch at work because I haven't gotten it together to cook.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:22 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I don't know how I missed this thread! I'm joining in for next month... I need to figure out a target spending amount!

In the spirit of adding something useful to the thread, I realized I wouldn't have time to pack lunches this week, so I stopped at the store on my way to work this morning and got breakfast food (cereal, bananas, soy milk), sandwich fixings (english muffins, tofurkey) and soup, and choc soymilk for an afternoon snack. $20 total for the week, but if I ate out it would have been $15-20/day so I'm happy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:16 am 

I did my last small shop for the month yesterday, and spent almost $14 so I ended up almost $13 over budget for this month. But I feel okay about it, since I have nearly 3 weeks worth of lunches and dinners in my fridge that I can eat in November :). So in November, I might cut my budget in half and see how that goes!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:29 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Well Oct has been a flop. Ive been eating out way too much and spending way too much $ on it, by trying all these new and exciting restaurants, when, in fact, home cooking is so much better - just not as convenient. Im trying to save for a house and failing miserably. Going to aim for no meals out whatsoever in Nov.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:23 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Ok, so I forgot to make allowances for Halloween and ended up €20 over budget. It isn't too bad though because for the first time in a long time I have had plenty of money left in the bank. Well, not plenty, but more than usual! I also saved about €20 in petrol money this month because of being off work sick so that cancels out the over spend.

Thanks to budgeting the past 2 months means I am nearly on top of all bills. When I get paid Thursday I will actually have money to go buy oil for the heating which is great because it has just started getting really cold.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:23 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm joining you all for the November challenge because I spent more money than I can remember doing in a LOOOONG time on food this month. On the upside, my pantry is so freakin' stocked I should only need to buy produce for the next few months...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:05 pm 
Dead by dawn

I did $79.63 at the grocery store and $16.95 eating out last week. My average over the first four weeks of October is $68.06/week in groceries and $33.03/week eating out. I'm mostly OK with this, actually. If I could regularly do $60 and $20, that would leave another $20 in a $100/week budget for the stuff I wasn't counting this time around (cleaning supplies, toiletries, etc...) I think that should be really pretty easy to do and fits my budget. So, if we do a November challenge, those will be the figures I'm going to try to stick to. I'll try to keep it to $80/week at the grocery store for everything, and just take out $20/week cash to spend eating out, envelope system-style.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:42 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I didn't have a goal or anything for this month, I just wanted to see how much we were spending. And it sums up at 2251 SEK, aka $339 . This is for two grown ups. Including one take away, cleaning supplies, maybe some random hygiene stuff. Also worth mentioning is that we now are super well stocked for next month. It's not bad but we could definitely do better.

The embarrassing thing is that we have 40 (FORTY!) receipts. FORTY! We went to the store(s) 40 times in one month. I don't know how that is even possible.

We are going to set up goals for next month.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next