| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Los Angeles
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:56 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

LFL wrote:
The Cafe Gratitude veggie burger is very good but their Eggplant "Parmesan" is even better.

I just had that the other night, SO good!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:33 am 

Shojin, Shojin, Shojin, Shojin. HOLY EFF, I went there for the first time last night. AMAZING!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:35 am 

Shojin, Shojin, Shojin, Shojin. HOLY EFF, I went there for the first time last night. AMAZING!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:37 pm 
Nailed to the V

I don't love everything at Shojin but the bento box is really good. I find them pricey though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:41 pm 
Nailed to the V

FabulouslyFierce wrote:
Anyone have an update on Maddie's? I googled it and didn't see anything, that would be very close to where I live, so I'm hoping it's not just a rumor!

Here's a recent article about it:

http://la.cleanplates.com/news/on-our-r ... dys-vegan/

Are you on facebook? If so you can check the Madeleine Bistro facebook page and see if there is an update on Maddy's there, or leave a question for the owners. I'm not on facebook or I'd do it myself. If you learn anything, let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:33 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Hey guys, I live in OC, but am going to be in LA next saturday, and my fiancee and I want to go to dinner before his gig he's got at a local club.

We don't want a vegan place, he wants to eat meat (meh). What is a good vegan friendly omni place we can go to? We will be in Culver City specifially, but we can go a bit further out than that (like, we don't wanna be more than 15 minutes from the club) We want a sit down place that serves drinks for sure, but not too pricey. (i.e. not chipotle, but not fine dining either..somewhere fun)

I found this place on Yelp, it looks cool. Anyone been there? Looks VERY vegan friendly. Yelpers say they serve daiya as a sub for cheese.

http://www.kayndaves.com/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:05 pm 
Nailed to the V

My husband and I only ate at Kay 'n Dave's once and we were underwhelmed.

Do you like ethnic food? If so I highly recommend Tara's Himalayan Cuisine in Culver City. They are an omni Nepalese/Tibetan restaurant but they have several vegan items or items that can be made vegan at your request. The restaurant is somewhat humble looking but the food is both affordable and terrific. My favorite thing there is probably the garlic tofu, but the vegetable korma, green beans and aloo bodi tama are all excellent as well. You'll have to request these be made vegan, since they may not be if you don't ask for them to be made that way. They also have good appetizers like vegetable momos, aloo achaar, and lentil soup. In general I recommend their Nepalese and Tibetan dishes over their Indian ones.

Here is their website: http://www.tarashimalayancuisine.com/

I haven't eaten there in a long time but Beacon, a Japanese/American fusion restaurant also located in Culver City, had a few solid vegan items on the menu. My husband and I liked what we had there, but we lean toward places with more vegan options.

I have some other vegan-friendly omni restaurant recommendations but they are a little bit away from Culver City. Namely Shamshiri Grill (Persian) in Westwood, Susan Feniger's Street (international) downtown, and if you feel like splurging, my favorite omni restaurant in Los Angeles is Pizzeria Mozza (Italian, and also downtown). They have only a few vegan items (one pizza and some appetizers) but the waiter we had there knew what was vegan on the menu and the food was incredible. The bill for two people came to around $100 though, and you must make a reservation in advance to eat there, so I'd only go to Pizzeria Mozza if it fits your schedule and your budget.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:24 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Chicki wrote:
Hey guys, I live in OC, but am going to be in LA next saturday, and my fiancee and I want to go to dinner before his gig he's got at a local club.

We don't want a vegan place, he wants to eat meat (meh). What is a good vegan friendly omni place we can go to? We will be in Culver City specifially, but we can go a bit further out than that (like, we don't wanna be more than 15 minutes from the club) We want a sit down place that serves drinks for sure, but not too pricey. (i.e. not chipotle, but not fine dining either..somewhere fun)

I found this place on Yelp, it looks cool. Anyone been there? Looks VERY vegan friendly. Yelpers say they serve daiya as a sub for cheese.

http://www.kayndaves.com/

kay'n'daves isn't the best place. it can be hit or miss, at least in my experience.

another place i would suggest with great vegan options (including dessert!) is akasha. http://www.akasharestaurant.com it's right down the street from kay'n'daves. (and native foods! but i know you want a not entirely vegan place). akasha is very tasty! ETA: best to make a reservation with them, too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:56 pm 

I agree that Kay n Daves is hit or miss. I've had really good meals and just ok meals there. Jalapeno margaritas for the win though! Haven't tried Akasha yet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:43 pm 
Nailed to the V

icy wrote:
another place i would suggest with great vegan options (including dessert!) is akasha. http://www.akasharestaurant.com it's right down the street from kay'n'daves. (and native foods! but i know you want a not entirely vegan place). akasha is very tasty! ETA: best to make a reservation with them, too.

I've always wanted to try Akasha, but they seem like they might be pricey. What are your favorite dishes there?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:58 pm 
Nailed to the V

Has anyone tried the vegan cupcakes at Rising Heart Bakery? They're also in Culver City, and I'm curious about them.

http://www.risingheartsbakery.com/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:19 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Thanks Guys! I will show all these places to my partner. I bet he will go for Kay n Daves. We both like mexican food,and the Jalepeno margaritas sound pretty amazeballs. Those are what caught my eye the first time I saw the menu. The rest might be out of our price range, and ethinic food (other than Mexican) might not be good before a night of drinking (for him at least. I can hang)

If anyone has any more suggestions, please keep them coming! I am always looking for vegan friendly omni places we can both eat at when we go to LA. He, and friends, pretty much refuse to go to vegan resturants with me.

We did actually eat at the Blue Palms once, in Hollywood, and it was pretty awesome. Vegan sausages = YUM. He liked my vegan ones better than his meat ones haha. I love when that happens. You guys should check it out if you haven't already. Great beer too.

I wish he liked native foods, but no he does not. He hates fake meat, except what I make at home. Luckily there are Native Foods here in OC. In fact, I might treat myself to that for dinner tonight since I have a gift card (alone...sadface)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:32 pm 

Awww, I'd go to Native Foods with you :)

True Foods kitchen in Santa Monica is a really good place for vegans and omnis. Also, if you want a pricier fancy date night Craigs in West Hollywood has a vegan menu (I have yet to try though). Mohawk Bend is probably my all time favorite restaurant in LA, good for both vegans and omnis, its over in Echo Park though.

I've never heard of Blue Palms, I will have to check that out!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:08 pm 
Nailed to the V

Does anyone here know of a good local place to shop for vegan Halloween candy for trick or treaters?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:15 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Don't go to Kay n Daves!!! It is BY FAR the worst Mexican food I have ever, ever had. Lula's Cocina Mexicana in Santa Monica is so much better if you're looking for a West Side option!

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:47 pm 

indexandicon wrote:
Don't go to Kay n Daves!!! It is BY FAR the worst Mexican food I have ever, ever had. Lula's Cocina Mexicana in Santa Monica is so much better if you're looking for a West Side option!

I definitely need to check that place out! What dish do you recommend??

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:52 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

We love the eggplant enchiladas, vegetable tamales, Tlacoyos, and grilled veggie tacos! (With the no cheese subs of course.) Their margaritas are killer too.

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:45 pm 
Nailed to the V

LFL wrote:
Does anyone here know of a good local place to shop for vegan Halloween candy for trick or treaters?

Answering my own question: I found vegan Halloween candy -- a package of 24 individually wrapped dark chocolate squares from Endangered Species Chocolate -- in the Whole Foods in El Segundo yesterday. The plastic pack of chocolates was priced at around $6, which seems pretty reasonable so I was glad to have found it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:00 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

indexandicon wrote:

Hmmm yeah maybe I will check that place out. We have another friend coming with now and we all definitly want mexican food. Santa Monica is not that far away either, it should work ok.

Thanks again for the help people :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:20 pm 
Nailed to the V

Let us know where you end up going and how you like it, Chicki.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:27 pm 
Nailed to the V

LFL wrote:
FabulouslyFierce wrote:
Anyone have an update on Maddie's? I googled it and didn't see anything, that would be very close to where I live, so I'm hoping it's not just a rumor!

Here's a recent article about it:

http://la.cleanplates.com/news/on-our-r ... dys-vegan/

Maddy's is now listed on yelp!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/maddys-los-angeles

I wonder if this means that it's open? The hours are pretty short.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:50 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

FabulouslyFierce wrote:

Go for your birthday! They take cute pictures of you and make you a mix cd :) Here's our Shojin pic from my birthday dinner!

--Margaret Meade

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:56 am 

indexandicon wrote:
FabulouslyFierce wrote:

Go for your birthday! They take cute pictures of you and make you a mix cd :) Here's our Shojin pic from my birthday dinner!

I did! http://fellowshipofthevegetable.blogspo ... hojin.html

I love the CD, haha.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:35 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I know! Nothing better than a loungey mix cd from your favorite restaurant!

--Margaret Meade

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:27 pm 

We didn't get a cd!! Bummer. That's so funny they give them. Maybe I'll go for my birthday next year! Loooooooove shojin. There's a japanese place in Studio City (I think that's where it is?) called Eggplant and I also love their food. Japanese pumpkin (kabocha squash) is my favorite and they have tons of dishes with it in it....rolls, appetizers, miso soup, salad I think. It's not vegan by any means, but have a lot of vegan stuff. I'd recommend it! It's really cute too and the workers are super nice.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next