| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flea/Tick Prevention
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:15 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

We've got fleas out the wazoo in the grassy areas at my new apartment complex, and my dogs seem to have caught them. Being a vet tech, I am of course aware of the many commercial products available to treat this, but A) I don't feel comfortable smearing neurotoxin all over my dogs, and B) all that stuff's tested on animals in ways that are most certainly not vegan-friendly. So I'm really just not down with using any of that.

I was wondering what you guys do to treat/prevent fleas and ticks in your own pets. I've seen some suggestions online, but I want to talk to someone who's tried these methods and knows that they actually work. Plus, it'd be nice if when one of my more holistically-minded clients asks me about flea prevention I can actually give them some suggestions other than the scary commercial poisons.

Post subject: Re: Flea/Tick Prevention
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:33 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I resisted for many years too, but I never found any home remedies to work and it just got to be too much. My family nearly disowned me when I broke down, but they weren't the ones flea combing 2 dogs and 4 cats several times each day (and literally capturing hundreds daily, which I collected in a jar and released outside!)

I found that after 2 applications on my indoor cats they didn't need the drops again. And the dogs just needed them a few times during outdoor flea season. We only have cats now and other than an occasional flea after they've come home from the vet, no more fleas and no need for pesticides!

eta: So I might try a holistic method now, since I don't have indoor/outdoor companions to continually reinfect the house.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:32 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I agree with Jill I was never able to find a natural product that worked. Then I adopted an akita who turned out to have a severe flea allergy, one bite and he would scratch/bite himself until his skin was raw and half his hair was pulled out. Using the flea treatment was like a miracle cure for him. I used it monthly for about a year, once the flea pop in the yard was under control I would use it monthly over the summer and just a couple of doses throughout the rest of the year.

This schedule is working for the 2 dogs I have now, I also have an indoor cat and he is flea free without the medication.

eta. Jill, you captured and released your pets fleas!!! I am speechless! I try to free bugs whenever possible but I have to confess, fleas, mosquitoes and earwigs do not make it out of my house alive!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:00 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

Does anyone know if nooch and garlic work to repel fleas??

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:35 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

I think it is brewer's yeast rather than nooch that is recommended for fleas. I used it years ago with varying degrees of success.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:45 pm 

I've heard about the garlic thing, but I haven't tried it. I don't know if I could stand going to bed with two dogs that smell like the trash bin at an Italian restaurant every night...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:13 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Onion and garlic are toxic to cats and dogs. I don't know what level is "safe" but I wouldn't risk that either.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:46 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

the gross goop you buy is certainly neurotoxic to fleas and ticks (that's how it works), but is there evidence that it's neurotoxic to dogs or cats? if there's evidence of that, i would like to know about it! unfortunately i don't really have a choice about using it on my dog because she's severely allergic to flea bites (i did the $500 blood test).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:38 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

mooo wrote:
the gross goop you buy is certainly neurotoxic to fleas and ticks (that's how it works), but is there evidence that it's neurotoxic to dogs or cats? if there's evidence of that, i would like to know about it! unfortunately i don't really have a choice about using it on my dog because she's severely allergic to flea bites (i did the $500 blood test).

Pyrethran (sp?) is neurotoxic to cats, but not dogs. Cat products *shouldn't* contain pyrethran but I think some of the cheap ones do. The vet sold ones don't (though Advantix for dogs contains it, and there's a warning if you have a mixed pet household to let it dry before the cats come in contact with it). I used to work for a holistic vet who didn't have a problem with Advantage & Frontline because they are not absorbed into the bloodstream, they just circulate with the oils in the skin and hair. At least that's what she said.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:13 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

rabidchild wrote:
Onion and garlic are toxic to cats and dogs. I don't know what level is "safe" but I wouldn't risk that either.

Are you sure about garlic being toxic? I've heard about onions, but I've also heard of people feeding garlic to their dogs regularly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:42 pm 

The toxic ingredient in both garlic and onion is thiosulphate. And yes, large amounts of garlic can be harmful to the GI tract and to red blood cells in both cats and dogs, but I'm not sure what the "safe" dosage is.

As to the neurotoxicity in pets, pyrethrin has been known to cause severe adverse reactions in both cats and dogs. It is more common in cats, and in dogs is usually a result of misuse or overdose, but there are cases of dogs simply going into anaphylaxis because of the way their bodies interact with the chemicals. Luke and Fox have never had such a reaction, but, like allergies, they can pop up at any time without precedent.

I'm not sure I want to risk that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:36 pm 
Can ride a bike, drink a Blue Sky, and eat some Stonewall's all the same time (bad ass)

I'm battling a flea problem with my 2 cats right now. My cat Jazz had a really bad infestation last month and I suspect she may be allergic to the bites because she doesn't just scratch and bite at her fur she furiously scratches like mad and she's super irritated all the time. Our other cat, not so much.
We've tried Frontline and it worked for a month and then we stopped putting it on, and sure enough they came back. So we're going to get back on it consistently and treat the apartment, vacumming etc. in hopes of getting rid of them once and for all.

I just gave her a bath today, I made my own flea soap that was a combo of: mild dish soap, apple cidar vinegar, and water. It killed a lot of fleas. I also read to put a little vinegar in their drinking water because that changes the pH of their blood and the fleas don't like it.

The Frontline should come in the mail tomorrow, I'll keep you posted on the situation. UGH, fork FLEAS!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:47 pm 
Can ride a bike, drink a Blue Sky, and eat some Stonewall's all the same time (bad ass)

Does anyone know if borax is safe for cats? I'm getting conflicting answers online. It's supposed to be really good on treating your carpet for fleas.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:01 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

My apologies if there is a more recent tick thread. I am freaking out. My dog Graeme is an extremely hairy sheltie. He had never had a tick in his life until this week, when we have found three, two of them completely engorged. From the looks of them I'm pretty sure they were deer ticks, though I didn't save them.

I apply Frontline Plus every month, so I'm wondering if we could have gotten a bad batch. Or maybe the ticks in this area are becoming immune? I feel so sorry for my poor puppy, and I'm worried about what kinds of illnesses he could get... We've been going for lots of walks in the woods, but I'm thinking that has to stop, at least until the first hard frost.

So is it normal for dogs to get ticks despite using a flea and tick preventative? I am so totally grossed out, I don't ever want to go outside again.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:22 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Frontline Plus has lost its effectiveness as far as I can tell. Other people who work in rescue have told me the same. We always frontlined the shelter dogs and the past couple of years they have still been getting ticks and a couple have gotten lyme disease. And the cat version of Frontline has become completely ineffective against fleas. I have been told that Advantix and Vectra 3D work better. A lot of vets are using Vectra 3D now. Its pretty new, though, so side effects are not as well known, and you may want to take that into consideration.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:28 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Thanks. I am going to call the vet first thing Monday and ask what else I can try. He's vaccinated for Lyme, but I know there are other things he could get from ticks. Might be time to switch his preventative. Sadly, I've decided that a dog that hairy has no business being off leash in the woods.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:40 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I know what you mean about furry puppies! You can always try a herbal spray in addition to the spot-on. There are a bunch of them, and most say they are safe to use in combination with a spot-on product. Just spray really well before going on a walk and brush or massage it in, making sure it gets all through the coat (I always had to pay special attention to my dog's feet/toes and her ears, because that's where ticks always jumped on her). It isn't 100%, but it will help repel the ticks, and if one does manage to jump on, hopefully the spot-on will kill it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:24 pm 
Semen Strong

Ugh. I found a completely engorged tick on Cuddles and a tick just walking around on my computer today. The one on my computer had a wee speck of blood in it when I crushed it, but I don't know that it had bitten either me or L for sure.

We went hiking in a pretty deer heavy area yesterday, and I'm thinking that is when they are from...

Again, I am totally feeling like never ever going outside again. Plus I know my partner is going to freak out.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:26 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I live in 365 day a year flea land. I have to use a pill because nothing else works. All of the topical treatments have lost their effectiveness. The vet at the rescue where I take the animals said that they have had to switch to Trifexa for the animals in the clinic because the fleas got so bad.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think we just realized that our cats have fleas. In August we rescued a kitten. So Im not sure if they came from him or from my husband going camping a few weeks ago. Our cats dont go outside and we've never had fleas before so Im not sure what to do. Im thinking a vet appt is in order for all three cats ASAP! But do I have to buy the medicine from them or is it ok to order it cheaper online?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:14 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I guess as long as you are using the actual vet stuff it would be okay to get online, but I don't know if it would be worth it to you to wait. There's also a product you can get from the clinic to treat your house but I don't know anything about it. A couple of vials of Revolution shouldn't set you back too much and if you rid your house of the little beasts you wouldn't have to reapply.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I want to make sure I get the right stuff and not something fake. Just wasnt sure if it would be tripple the price from the vet. I see those commercials for petmeds, but I have no idea how it works.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

GraciaKai wrote:
I want to make sure I get the right stuff and not something fake. Just wasnt sure if it would be tripple the price from the vet. I see those commercials for petmeds, but I have no idea how it works.

For topical flea stuff I think they will sell it to you without a Rx from your vet. I know lots of people who buy online. I've used topical on the cats when they escape to the outside but it does nothing on the dogs.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:30 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm honestly not sure, I live in Canada and 1800 pet meds isn't available to us. I have purchased revolution from a supplier in Australia because it did not require an RX, but that was to have on hand for rescue reasons. I would be wary of any flea medication that didn't require an RX because I've seen/heard way too much scary stuff in terms of very bad interactions. Your vet might allow you to bring just one cat in and then rx you enough for however many you have since a lot of them are treatments and preventatives all in one. Also depends on how recently they've all been to the vet, if you don't visit regularly they might want an exam for all of them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:08 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Be careful. If you're buying from a company that offers dramatically reduced prices on name brand meds like frontline, there is probably something iffy going on. 1-800-petmeds has had several lawsuits brought against them over the years.