| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: seeking dvd suggestion please
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:42 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Hello, I am looking for an "exercise" DVD with the following criteria to promote calmness and reduce stress:

breathing techniques
relaxing music in background
gentle stretching (not necessarily yoga) where I'm not going to sweat tons ;)

Does anyone have a DVD they could recommend to me?

I think I have this one by Petra, and she has an awesome personality, and I like the whole DVD a lot, but I'm looking for a DVD that focuses more on the brief stretching and smidge yoga that she has in there......... I'm not looking for a work-out where I'm going to get all sweaty and raise my heart rate (and yes, I know that some yoga does make you sweat)
http://www.amazon.com/Trainers-Edge-Car ... B000127ZAA

I don't really have the budget to take an actual class, although there definitely are options in the town I live in, in case that changes.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

Post subject: Re: seeking dvd suggestion please
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:44 am 
Chard Martyr

I really like Ellen Barrett pilates workouts. I feel really good after them, they don't kill me.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:03 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

One of the most relaxing yoga videos I have done is Pure Tranquility by Rainbeau Mars it would absolutely fit all your criteria it's all seated I think with rolling waves in the background.

I also love the Kundalini DVDs by Ravi and Ana like this one. They are all really well chaptered so you can skip the main exercise part and just do the tune in, the warm up, and the meditaion with breathing exercises if you like. Check out a clip because people either love them or hate them.

Another yoga DVD that would fit and is easy to find is Candlelight Yoga.

I also like Gary Kraftsow's series quite a bit, they are very clinical though with no music and more for rehab or stress and anxiety but they are really easy and he cues every breath so I always feel super calm afterwords.

Another non-yoga idea is Classical Stretch but those usually have more cardio elements.

There is a great workout video site called Collage Video where you can check out all the instructors, DVD breakdowns, and see what other people say about them but they are definitely more focused on making you sweat.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

thanks for the suggestions. unfortunately 'pure tranquility' is out-of-print :( rainbeau mars has soooo many other DVDs to choose from but i don't even know where to begin.

however, candelight yoga seems cool and i added it to my wishlist so i can look into more when i get home. i was able to listen to a little snippet of it and her voice was soooo soothing!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:37 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

It looks like she has itfor sale to download if you want it but Candelight yoga is a good one too!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LazySmurf wrote:
It looks like she has itfor sale to download if you want it but Candelight yoga is a good one too!

Just ordered Candlelight Yoga! I think it is just what I'm looking for, soothing music in background, gentle stretching, de-stressing, and her voice on the preview I saw sounded so soothing! Thank you again for the suggestion!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:26 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

LazySmurf wrote:
One of the most relaxing yoga videos I have done is Pure Tranquility by Rainbeau Mars it would absolutely fit all your criteria it's all seated I think with rolling waves in the background.

This is my most-used yoga DVD. It's physically not strenuous, relaxing and it's only 27 minutes. I always feel relaxed after doing it.

I was also going to suggest this: http://www.amazon.com/Tibetan-Energy-Yo ... B00004TFK5

It's not physical at all, just assorted breathing exercises. I only do it once in a whilee but feel more relaxed after doing it and it's for one of those evenings where you need relaxation but can't fathom moving a muscle (other than your lungs to breathe! which we all have to do allatimes anyhoo).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:34 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

thanks for the recommendation, if i ever want to focus soly on breathing/meditation, rather than breathing + light stretching/yoga i'll check it out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:49 pm 
Naked Under Apron

You can also download PM Yoga for free on iTunes. It's a little 10-minute number, but I love it and do it almost every night. The girl won me over with her cute smile -- she's almost sweet enough to melt my cold, crabby heart. ;D

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i may be young but i have no idea what iTunes is, I just got a smartphone last year, I'm still catching up to technology ;)

I do have the Candlelight Yoga DVD now :)

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]