| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cookbook present for me?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:31 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

OK, my BN.com membership expires in a few days, I plan on NOT renewing it since hubby & I have been purchasing a lot of books over the past year ;) However, that being said, I'd still like to maybe buy another cookbook ;) I'm looking for suggestions on any upcoming not-yet-released cookbooks that you thinks are *must haves* or perhaps a cookbook that's already been published that I should add to my collection.

Here are the cookbooks I currently own:
Quick Fix Vegan, Veg Meat & Potatoes Cookbook, Party Vegan (all by Robin Robertson)
VWaV
Vegan Diner
Vegan Baking Classics by Kelly Rudnicki
Cookin' Crunk by Bianca
Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day

(I also recently checked out the library, so I don't need them as a suggestion, the following: Veganomicon, 1,000 Vegan Recipes, Family Veg Cookbook by Nava Atlas, Ripe from Around Here, Appetite for Reduction)

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

Post subject: Re: cookbook present for me?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:04 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Fresh And Fast Vegan
Skinny B**ch
The 30-min Vegan

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:50 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Ooh, you should preorder Terry's new book Vegan Eats World! It comes out really soon. Or Vegan Brunch because that book is amazing and everyone needs more muffin recipes, plus a lot of other really great recipes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:44 pm 
Nailed to the V

If you like Robertson's Quick Fix Vegan, you might also enjoy her Quick Fix Vegetarian. Despite the title, it is also a vegan cookbook.

Also, for desserts, you must get Isa and Terry's Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. Hands down my favorite dessert cookbook. I never thought of myself as much of a baker before this book, but it completely changed my self-image in that regard.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:46 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

LFL wrote:
If you like Robertson's Quick Fix Vegan, you might also enjoy her Quick Fix Vegetarian. Despite the title, it is also a vegan cookbook.

are they really that much different? i have a feeling they're probably similar enough that owning both is redundant.

Vegan Brunch is a good option with lots of different types of recipes, many of which are also appropriate for lunch & dinner. Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar is probably the baking book i use most.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:00 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Appetite for Reduction! Also, I second either VCTOTW, or VCIYCJ. I use them both probably more than I should, thus why I also love Appetite for Reduction.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
LFL wrote:

are they really that much different? i have a feeling they're probably similar enough that owning both is redundant.

Vegan Brunch is a good option with lots of different types of recipes, many of which are also appropriate for lunch & dinner. Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar is probably the baking book i use most.

quick fix vegan and quick fix vegetarian are both different. personally i prefer quick fix vegan a lot better. i checked quick fix vegetarian out of the library, and it just wasn't to my taste. honestly, it seemed "weird" which is so strange since usually people use the "weird" label with vegan recipes. i love the few cookbooks of robin's that i do have, but quick fix vegetarian just wasn't my cup of tea. still, i encourage you to check it out of your own library, you may love it ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:35 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I totally vote for VCIYCJ. I use it more than any of my other cookbooks, probably because I find it relatively easy to improvise when it comes to cooking meals, but less so when it comes to baking. Having all those awesome cookie recipes at hand is incredibly helpful. I make a wider variety of cookies now that I have that book than I ever did when I was omni.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:07 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Another vote for Vegan Brunch or VCIYCJ. I love Vegan Brunch because a lot of the recipes can be used for dinner. And I feel like I use VCIYCJ the most out of any baking book because you can eat cookies everyday! I'm not about to make cupcakes or pie daily.

However, if you like AFR I would totally recommend buying that. Everything I have made out of it is fantastic and easy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:29 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Ooh, you should preorder Terry's new book Vegan Eats World! It comes out really soon.

This is almost certainly going to be my next cook book purchase.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:31 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I don't know why, but I haven't made much from VB. If you want to go for sweets, I recommend The Joy of Vegan Baking.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:54 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Karena wrote:
I don't know why, but I haven't made much from VB. If you want to go for sweets, I recommend The Joy of Vegan Baking.

Same here. Have VB since more than a year but haven't used much. Must need to dust it off after hearing all raves. Fortunately, my copy for The Joy of Vegan Baking is on the way. Ha! Late but better than never! :-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:27 am 
Chard Martyr

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Ooh, you should preorder Terry's new book Vegan Eats World! It comes out really soon. Or Vegan Brunch because that book is amazing and everyone needs more muffin recipes, plus a lot of other really great recipes.

This!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

thanks for the suggestions y'all. i actually ended up ordering a title not mentioned above ;)

vegan food gifts
there is a discussion post about it here
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=23202

i appreciate the suggestions for 'vegan eats world' but others have mentioned it is organized like how 'veganomicon' is and honestly, i hate to say it, but i am not a fan of the layout of v'con so that is why i'm not pre-ordering 'vegan eats world'

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

actually i just canceled my order......

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:37 pm 
Nailed to the V

bookwormbethie wrote:

Why did you cancel it?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:40 pm 
Nailed to the V

bookwormbethie wrote:
quick fix vegan and quick fix vegetarian are both different. personally i prefer quick fix vegan a lot better. i checked quick fix vegetarian out of the library, and it just wasn't to my taste. honestly, it seemed "weird" which is so strange since usually people use the "weird" label with vegan recipes. i love the few cookbooks of robin's that i do have, but quick fix vegetarian just wasn't my cup of tea. still, i encourage you to check it out of your own library, you may love it ;)

I agree that they are different, and I also like Quick Fix Vegan better, but Quick Fix Vegetarian has some go-to recipes for me, especially in the pasta section. I'm a slow cook so even if I don't most of the recipes in a book, if it gives me a few great fast ones that I can put into regular rotation, it's worth it to me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LFL wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

Why did you cancel it?

well for one reason, i realized there is a canning chapter (jars full of goodness) and i don't have any canning equipment and it's not in my budget right now to get a rack for my big pot and all those jars and lids and things.

and the other reason is that i realized that, just like the title says, this cookbook would be more for making foodie gifts rather than a cookbook that would be in heavy rotation.

i ended up ordering this title instead from bn.com instead..... i'll give it a good once-over when it arrives and hopefully it will be a keeper ;)
http://www.amazon.com/The-30-Minute-Veg ... 0738214337

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

Please post about how you like that cookbook when you get it. I would love to hear.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:19 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Me too! Taste of Europe is on my Book Depository wishlist! I hope it works out to be a good book for you - it's a bummer when you buy a new cookbook & it turns out to be a disappointment.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:43 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Karena wrote:
Me too! Taste of Europe is on my Book Depository wishlist! I hope it works out to be a good book for you - it's a bummer when you buy a new cookbook & it turns out to be a disappointment.

LFL wrote:
Please post about how you like that cookbook when you get it. I would love to hear.

will do, there is a separate discussion thread for this cookbook in the forum, so when i book arrives, i'll most likely leave a comment there rather than in this discussion post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LFL wrote:

regarding, 30 minute vegan europe....

while i do like the layout of the cookbook -- awesome table of contents with all recipes listed, each recipe page is laid out nice with the ingredients on the left and instructions on the right, there is some clutter of side bars and comment boxes, but it's not too bad -- but after a brief flip through, the cookbook just doesn't excite me so i'll be returning it. i'm actually surprised about that since the cookbook's point of view is fairly unique. maybe the recipes seem fussy? not sure, i'm not having the best day today so maybe that is impairing my judgement :cry:

some of the techniques and cooking instructions just seemed a bit odd, like if i broil something for 20 minutes, my kitchen will be flooded in smoke and the smoke alarm will go off! granted this was just a couple of recipes, but i just thought that was strange. likewise, marinating tofu or tempeh for 5 - 15 minutes doesn't seem like enough time to me.

maybe since i have several vegan cookbooks already i'm struggling to find something "new" or with a "wow factor" from this cookbook. but if you don't have a lot of vegan cookbooks or would give this as a gift to a new vegan, i think it would be a good addition. one thing to note, all use spelt and other sorta or pure gluten-free flours. he also does not use white sugar in any of the sweet recipes, there is a handy chart in the back listing all kinds of alternatives, molasses, organic sugars, agave, etc.... and explains what each one is and how you can substitute it in other recipes and includes how to reduce the liquid for each one, etc...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:17 pm 
Nailed to the V

Thanks for telling us about the book. I heard mixed things about his Asian cookbook so I wasn't sure about this one. I wonder if Donna Klein's The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen would appeal to you more, if you are looking for European vegan recipes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:24 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

get terry's book, you will not be disappointed. it's so beautiful and every single recipe sounds like the best recipe ever.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:46 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I just got Terry's new book yesterday, and I have to agree with ijdi. The wow factor is definitely there on this one.