| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 165  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:53 pm 
Nailed to the V

rachell37 wrote:
This is maybe a bit frivolous compared to other things people are mentioning here, but I have to see this every day and it annoys me. Sky+ have new outdoor adverts featuring celebrities. The three I've seen so far (all on my walk to work) are Jonathan Ross, some other dude I don't know, and Lily Allen (though I had to google to be sure it was her). The two for the men give their profession (presenter and actor, respectively) before mentioning the thing they like about Sky+. But for Lily Allen, she's labeled "busy mum". And the whole advert for her is about getting "me time" when the baby is asleep, so I'm pretty sure we could've gleaned from that information that she's a mother. Did they have to erase her other identity? It just plays into this whole thing about women's selves being subsumed when they become wives and mothers and makes me despair for my sister that she might become "Alex's mom" instead of Sam.

Oh nono, that s definitely not frivolous!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:31 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I started watching Breaking Bad about a week ago. In the first eight episodes alone the main character sexually assaults his wife. TWICE. I don't understand why people aren't outraged about this.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:09 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

tinglepants! wrote:
Tina Belcher: if guys has uteruses, they'd be called duderuses.

My uterus is not sure it's manly enough for this.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:03 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Jigglypuff wrote:
I started watching Breaking Bad about a week ago. In the first eight episodes alone the main character sexually assaults his wife. TWICE. I don't understand why people aren't outraged about this.

I don't think the main character is supposed to be likable.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:18 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

kimba wrote:
Jigglypuff wrote:

I don't think the main character is supposed to be likable.

Yeah, you're right. I'm not used to having a main character be so un-likable or ambiguous, I guess.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:20 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

choirqueer wrote:
tinglepants! wrote:
Tina Belcher: if guys has uteruses, they'd be called duderuses.

My uterus is not sure it's manly enough for this.

Maybe...enlightened-feminist-erus?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:39 pm 
Semen Strong

From a friend's FB wall "I run to banish the jiggle from my hips and thighs." Oh yay.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:31 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

One of my male lab mates complaining about "preference" women in science receive. And that if he gets two applicants (he is going on to be a prof soon) to his lab and one is female, he's going to question if she's really a qualified applicant because of all the "special treatment" she has received.

I don't....I can't even. Brain explosion.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:42 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

couroupita wrote:
One of my male lab mates complaining about "preference" women in science receive. And that if he gets two applicants (he is going on to be a prof soon) to his lab and one is female, he's going to question if she's really a qualified applicant because of all the "special treatment" she has received.

I think a study has been done on that. 3 groups were given the same performance review (I think)- one was marked as white male, one as minority, and one as minority benefiting from affirmative action. The groups concluded that the performances were, respectively, good, average and mediocre. So your coworker is sexist, but in a really common way.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:52 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Uh, if by "preference" he means "being judged as less competent based on gender alone" as per the recent PNAS paper...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:54 pm 
Impressive boner

Gah?!

http://fucknosexisthalloweencostumes.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:02 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

8ball wrote:

someone should post photos of men wearing the "female" outfits and women wearing the "male" outfits.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:20 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh, these are awful!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:12 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Are all the women's costumes from sex shops or something?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:19 pm 
Semen Strong

couroupita wrote:

That is so forked. As others have pointed out the studies show that women are disadvantaged by bias that will follow them their entire careers and even other women are going to judge women as being less qualified.

My friend got her PhD from Princeton and did her B.S. and M.S. work at MIT. She is the smartest person I know and she really did end up getting driven out of science by crappy experiences at both places.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:03 pm 
WRETCHED

EllaGuru wrote:
Are all the women's costumes from sex shops or something?

Nope, I was recently looking for a Halloween costume and those were pretty typical of things I saw on costume websites.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:32 pm 
Huffs Nooch

That's so disturbing and depressing. I had assumed for where for "adult play". Can't imagine going out in public wearing that little clothing. In October no less! It's already pretty nippy out here in Montreal.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:22 am 
WELFARIST!

Maybe this'll make everyone feel better (if it hasn't already been posted yet)- http://takebackhalloween.org/

eta: That female Stormtrooper on the other website looks like a go-go dancer, not at all like a Stormtrooper.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:32 am 
Chard Martyr

Well, I am going as a cat for Halloween and I was stoked to find that when I went to the costume rental store (that is randomly located pretty much in the parking lot of our apartment building) that I was first shown the big furry bodysuits instead of sexy little things. I commented on it to the girl helping me and she says they will NEVER assume the sexy route unless someone (any gender) explicitly asks for it. It was refreshing. Also, I have the coolest costume store in my parking lot.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:33 pm 
Semen Strong

Between Jessica Ridgeway and Autumn Pasquale, I really wonder how young boys/men can find a young girl's life so disposable. Autumn Pasquale was killed for her bike parts. http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nati ... 4287.story

I really think that it comes from creating a culture that so objectifies women.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:54 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Today I had one of those moments where something really forked up happened and I just stood around passively instead speaking my mind. I was at my school book store and the student who works there, (male) was talking to another student,(male) very loudly, (and I should add this is a very small room,) about how women who get abortions after week 9 are forked up in the head and if they really want to get one they should just stick metal hangers up you know where because there's no way in hell they will have their tax dollars support "late term" abortion. I also distinctly remember hearing them laugh. It was just so messed up. I was standing about 5 feet away obviously waiting to be rung up and he continued to have this offensive conversation instead of helping me. And I said absolutely nothing! I just went through the transaction and left. I wish I could have said something back that could make them question what they were saying and now they have the satisfaction of their own filthy privelage. Should I make a complaint to the school? Because whether or not you agree with abortion I don't think conversations like this should really be brought up in a work or school environment.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:29 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'd definitely complain! Its misogynistic.

A local radio station does a poll every day, and today's question is "Do you believe that women and young girls do enough to ensure that they don't become victims of the "date rape drugs"?" http://www.vocm.com/qotd.asp

Most people answered no and proceeded to leave terrible slut shaming comments. Aasdfhadghahsdgasd.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:00 am 
Huffs Nooch

carrotflower - you should complain to the administration, that is super out of line.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:53 am 
Impressive boner

Otherwise pleasant friends making unpleasant comments about scantily clad women going clubbing in winter.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:10 pm 
Inflexitarian

Richard Mourdock.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 165  Next