| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help us name these books
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:19 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yeah I could google but I know it's fun for the person out there who knows the answers to *drumroll* Help Me Name This Book.

So, how about a thread where we don't know the name of a book we may have read long ago, but we remember details?

Like this one. When I was in grade four (4th grade) my teacher read us a story about a young girl who had a fuzzy wuzzy creature living in her blue and white striped tote bag. I think she fed it oranges. Name That Book! Please?

Post subject: Re: Help us name these books
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:12 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Don't recall that one but it sounds awesome. I read a book about a haunted house that I totally forgot. It thought it was one of the "Help! I'm Trapped in..." series but I was wrong. Can I take this opportunity to say how awesome my childhood reads were? e.g.
Hell yeah.

ETA:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:17 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

A Wrinkle in Time (and all the books in the series) definitly stand up to adult standards.

hehehe I totally remember the celery stalks at midnight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:57 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I loved Bunnicula!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:58 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

OK, here's one I can't remember the name of and it's bugged me for like a decade.

Some kind of future/space scenario, there's a castle, a female protagonist who gets rescued by a dude, and some kind of pink blob space monsters. It would be a YA novel. For some reason my brain always want to call it the Prisoner of Zenda but I know 100% that that's not it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:00 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

A Wrinkle in Time is wonderful - I read it as a child and enjoyed it, and then again as an adult. I remember being amazed at all the inferences I'd missed before.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:51 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Bunnicula!

Here's mine, which I have been unsuccessfully googling for years. Group of people are exiled from their town and travel down a river or something. I think they're exiled for saying enemies are coming or something and they're right. Eventually they settle in a new place and the people from the old place join them? They're not human I think. They wear colorful cloaks and such. One of the main characters is a baker who makes crazy detailed marzipan things. There's a scene where she makes marzipan knights with armor and swords and stuff.

I think I read this book 3 or 4 times and the only damn thing I remember about it is the marzipan.

Anyone?

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:14 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

I have been asking people this for years and only getting blank stares. I have been known to dream up things before but i know this happened for real......

a marquez or possibly borges short story about the life of shakespeare, looking back at his romances, his adventures, and his creative genius, but at the end he is just one of God's dreams.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:32 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I recall a kids' book about aliens who visited an older couple. I think the husband's name was Moe, and the wife asked why he bought a new barbecue at the beginning of the book and then they realised it was a UFO in the yard. At the end the aliens gave them a blender as a good-bye gift. It was a tad bizarre. Two-colour line illustrations. Ideas?

Also, this was a favourite at the age of 7:

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

coldandsleepy wrote:
Bunnicula!

Here's mine, which I have been unsuccessfully googling for years. Group of people are exiled from their town and travel down a river or something. I think they're exiled for saying enemies are coming or something and they're right. Eventually they settle in a new place and the people from the old place join them? They're not human I think. They wear colorful cloaks and such. One of the main characters is a baker who makes crazy detailed marzipan things. There's a scene where she makes marzipan knights with armor and swords and stuff.

I think I read this book 3 or 4 times and the only damn thing I remember about it is the marzipan.

Anyone?

Possibly The Gammage Cup by Carol Kendall? About the Minnipins?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:54 pm 
Married to the wolfman

celyn wrote:

YES! HOLY shiitake YES!

Seriously, I have been trying to figure this out for so long. You are my new favorite person, and if you are ever in Santa Cruz, let me know and I will buy you something edible.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:55 pm 
WELFARIST!

torque wrote:
a marquez or possibly borges short story about the life of shakespeare, looking back at his romances, his adventures, and his creative genius, but at the end he is just one of God's dreams.

You asked this in another thread a while back and I googled and tried to find out then but could not. Not familiar enough with the short stories of those two authors, although I hear they're both amazing. One can only read so much, though there's always gonna be stuff I sadly miss out on.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:56 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Awesome, and the other one, The Whisper of Glocken. I loved those books and read them repeatedly too!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:04 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I read what I think was the first book in a sci-fi trilogy, that I *think* was written by a woman (but I may have just imagined that). The premise is that three new planets have been found or something, and teams of two are sent to each of them. On one planet there are children that can see the recently deceased and people are referred to as fellow travelers. Another world has a castle? Another has a guy who is in trouble for something? So poor, my memory is. But! I really loved it and would like to finish the trilogy and cannot for the life of me figure out what they were called.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:20 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I loved Bunnicula! I think about him everytime I make cauliflower. I like to think about Bunnicula sucking the color out of Broccoli.

A book scene that has stuck with me for many many years that I read in like jr high or something.... I thought it was an RL Stine book but maybe it is some other YA book... there was a scene with like high school girls in the girls' bathroom and one girl had some huge issue/injury/operation where her like stomach was all bandaged up and/or her like intestines were visible or falling out or something... I don't know. But if anyone could tell me what this was so I could reread it and get some kind of explanation or closure I would be so grateful.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:10 am 
Seagull of the PPK

seitanicverses wrote:
torque wrote:

You asked this in another thread a while back and I googled and tried to find out then but could not. Not familiar enough with the short stories of those two authors, although I hear they're both amazing. One can only read so much, though there's always gonna be stuff I sadly miss out on.

yes, thread double-dipping! what gets me is that i do know the work of both really well and wonder if i hallucinated the story since i've looked high and low and inside out. or dreamed it. maybe i need to rewrite it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:31 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

coldandsleepy wrote:
celyn wrote:

YES! HOLY shiitake YES!

Seriously, I have been trying to figure this out for so long. You are my new favorite person, and if you are ever in Santa Cruz, let me know and I will buy you something edible.

Oh I loved this book! I'd also forgotten the name of it.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:29 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

kilgore trout wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:
celyn wrote:

YES! HOLY shiitake YES!

Oh I loved this book! I'd also forgotten the name of it.

I also loved this book! I didn't remember about the marzipan though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:37 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

erynne936 wrote:
A book scene that has stuck with me for many many years that I read in like jr high or something.... I thought it was an RL Stine book but maybe it is some other YA book... there was a scene with like high school girls in the girls' bathroom and one girl had some huge issue/injury/operation where her like stomach was all bandaged up and/or her like intestines were visible or falling out or something... I don't know. But if anyone could tell me what this was so I could reread it and get some kind of explanation or closure I would be so grateful.

That sounds like it could be any of the Fear Street books. I'd go as far as to same most if not all of them have a female propagandist. None of them are very memorable, though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:38 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Alright this is slightly off topic, but not really. Thought I would share this awesomeness.

I DEVOURED the baby sitter's club books as a kid. Read all of them I think, up until I was around 12. Read, re-read till they feel apart. Even as a child I knew they were total crepe. I was reading adult novels too, so these were like, fun pass the time, laugh at how dumb they were, books. I read them SO many times though, I remember them pretty clearly. I practically grew up with those dumb bisques.

I found this blog from a woman who re-reads the books as an adult, then bloggs about them.
HILAROUS. Check it out. If you ever read the books, then this is a real flashback. Her discriptions of the outfits they wore are pee your pants funny.
http://claudiasroom.blogspot.com/
this is one of my fav's
http://claudiasroom.blogspot.com/2007_0 ... chive.html

I found a whole box of BSC books in my storage not too long ago, I kind of want to read them again just for lolz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:45 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Ooo perfect thread.

In middle school I read a book where the main character is female and she's having a lot of internal/mental issues...she hates 'non-colors' like beige and grey and at one point cuts her hair really short and stops hiding behind her long hair. Anyone?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:57 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

Fizzgig wrote:
Ooo perfect thread.

In middle school I read a book where the main character is female and she's having a lot of internal/mental issues...she hates 'non-colors' like beige and grey and at one point cuts her hair really short and stops hiding behind her long hair. Anyone?

i think that might have been my diary. get out of my room!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:00 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I don't know if I really want to know the name of this book, but I remember reading a book in fourth grade where the protagonist girl pees in the mouthwash of some girl at camp and then she feels bad about it. And I can't stop smiling remembering how scandalized I was by this totally weirdly gross book scene.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:02 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Chicki wrote:
Alright this is slightly off topic, but not really. Thought I would share this awesomeness.

I DEVOURED the baby sitter's club books as a kid. Read all of them I think, up until I was around 12. Read, re-read till they feel apart. Even as a child I knew they were total crepe. I was reading adult novels too, so these were like, fun pass the time, laugh at how dumb they were, books. I read them SO many times though, I remember them pretty clearly. I practically grew up with those dumb bisques.

I found this blog from a woman who re-reads the books as an adult, then bloggs about them.
HILAROUS. Check it out. If you ever read the books, then this is a real flashback. Her discriptions of the outfits they wore are pee your pants funny.
http://claudiasroom.blogspot.com/
this is one of my fav's
http://claudiasroom.blogspot.com/2007_0 ... chive.html

I found a whole box of BSC books in my storage not too long ago, I kind of want to read them again just for lolz

and omg don't even get my started on my weird BSC obsession. Still a reader. I know, I'm weird. And I scour Good Wills and other thrift stores to see if I can snag a copy of one I don't already have since there are only a bajillion or so.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:33 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

For the BSC fans, they have a few graphic novel versions now. They're as awesome as they sound.