| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Help us name these books
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:19 pm 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:31 am
Posts: 240
Yeah I could google but I know it's fun for the person out there who knows the answers to *drumroll* Help Me Name This Book.

So, how about a thread where we don't know the name of a book we may have read long ago, but we remember details?

Like this one. When I was in grade four (4th grade) my teacher read us a story about a young girl who had a fuzzy wuzzy creature living in her blue and white striped tote bag. I think she fed it oranges. Name That Book! Please?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help us name these books
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:12 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:01 am
Posts: 3382
Location: Chandler, AZ
Don't recall that one but it sounds awesome. I read a book about a haunted house that I totally forgot. It thought it was one of the "Help! I'm Trapped in..." series but I was wrong. Can I take this opportunity to say how awesome my childhood reads were? e.g.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Hell yeah.

ETA:
Image

_________________
Half the lies I tell are not true.
"luckily us vegans dont go into cardiac arrest...but we do go into food comas" - Adam Crisis


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help us name these books
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:17 pm 
Offline
Calls "cavemen" on that
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:53 pm
Posts: 2384
A Wrinkle in Time (and all the books in the series) definitly stand up to adult standards.

hehehe I totally remember the celery stalks at midnight


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help us name these books
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:57 pm 
Online
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:49 pm
Posts: 4573
Location: Toronto, ON
I loved Bunnicula!

_________________
I like my bagels like I like my men - big and covered with earth balance & nooch. - Bunniee

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help us name these books
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:58 pm 
Offline
Bought KAPOP LOAF
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:23 pm
Posts: 1635
Location: MD
OK, here's one I can't remember the name of and it's bugged me for like a decade.

Some kind of future/space scenario, there's a castle, a female protagonist who gets rescued by a dude, and some kind of pink blob space monsters. It would be a YA novel. For some reason my brain always want to call it the Prisoner of Zenda but I know 100% that that's not it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help us name these books
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:00 pm 
Offline
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:04 am
Posts: 2490
Location: UK
A Wrinkle in Time is wonderful - I read it as a child and enjoyed it, and then again as an adult. I remember being amazed at all the inferences I'd missed before.

_________________
Everyone turns into Boo Radley, if they live long enough ~ seitanicverses


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help us name these books
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:51 pm 
Offline
Married to the wolfman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:49 pm
Posts: 6006
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Bunnicula!

Here's mine, which I have been unsuccessfully googling for years. Group of people are exiled from their town and travel down a river or something. I think they're exiled for saying enemies are coming or something and they're right. Eventually they settle in a new place and the people from the old place join them? They're not human I think. They wear colorful cloaks and such. One of the main characters is a baker who makes crazy detailed marzipan things. There's a scene where she makes marzipan knights with armor and swords and stuff.

I think I read this book 3 or 4 times and the only damn thing I remember about it is the marzipan.

Anyone?

_________________
"Hummus; a gentleman's vice." -- Mars

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help us name these books
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:14 pm 
Online
Seagull of the PPK
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:46 pm
Posts: 8366
Location: Brasil
I have been asking people this for years and only getting blank stares. I have been known to dream up things before but i know this happened for real......

a marquez or possibly borges short story about the life of shakespeare, looking back at his romances, his adventures, and his creative genius, but at the end he is just one of God's dreams.

_________________
Buddha says 'Meh'.--matwinser
I'm just a drunk who likes fruit. -- Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help us name these books
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:32 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:05 pm
Posts: 1046
Location: Willamette Valley, OR
I recall a kids' book about aliens who visited an older couple. I think the husband's name was Moe, and the wife asked why he bought a new barbecue at the beginning of the book and then they realised it was a UFO in the yard. At the end the aliens gave them a blender as a good-bye gift. It was a tad bizarre. Two-colour line illustrations. Ideas?

Also, this was a favourite at the age of 7:
Image

_________________
Glad wrap! ... it's just a nice, friendly name. Like a suffocating, plastic hug. - Erinnerung

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help us name these books
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:51 pm 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:40 pm
Posts: 2145
coldandsleepy wrote:
Bunnicula!

Here's mine, which I have been unsuccessfully googling for years. Group of people are exiled from their town and travel down a river or something. I think they're exiled for saying enemies are coming or something and they're right. Eventually they settle in a new place and the people from the old place join them? They're not human I think. They wear colorful cloaks and such. One of the main characters is a baker who makes crazy detailed marzipan things. There's a scene where she makes marzipan knights with armor and swords and stuff.

I think I read this book 3 or 4 times and the only damn thing I remember about it is the marzipan.

Anyone?


Possibly The Gammage Cup by Carol Kendall? About the Minnipins?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help us name these books
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:54 pm 
Offline
Married to the wolfman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:49 pm
Posts: 6006
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
celyn wrote:
Possibly The Gammage Cup by Carol Kendall? About the Minnipins?


YES! HOLY shiitake YES!

Seriously, I have been trying to figure this out for so long. You are my new favorite person, and if you are ever in Santa Cruz, let me know and I will buy you something edible.

_________________
"Hummus; a gentleman's vice." -- Mars

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help us name these books
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:55 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:57 pm
Posts: 5238
torque wrote:
a marquez or possibly borges short story about the life of shakespeare, looking back at his romances, his adventures, and his creative genius, but at the end he is just one of God's dreams.

You asked this in another thread a while back and I googled and tried to find out then but could not. Not familiar enough with the short stories of those two authors, although I hear they're both amazing. One can only read so much, though there's always gonna be stuff I sadly miss out on.

_________________
"I'm sorry! I'm Canadian!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help us name these books
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:56 pm 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:40 pm
Posts: 2145
Awesome, and the other one, The Whisper of Glocken. I loved those books and read them repeatedly too!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help us name these books
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:04 pm 
Offline
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 164
Location: austin, tx
I read what I think was the first book in a sci-fi trilogy, that I *think* was written by a woman (but I may have just imagined that). The premise is that three new planets have been found or something, and teams of two are sent to each of them. On one planet there are children that can see the recently deceased and people are referred to as fellow travelers. Another world has a castle? Another has a guy who is in trouble for something? So poor, my memory is. But! I really loved it and would like to finish the trilogy and cannot for the life of me figure out what they were called.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help us name these books
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:20 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:51 am
Posts: 1002
Location: RI
I loved Bunnicula! I think about him everytime I make cauliflower. I like to think about Bunnicula sucking the color out of Broccoli.

A book scene that has stuck with me for many many years that I read in like jr high or something.... I thought it was an RL Stine book but maybe it is some other YA book... there was a scene with like high school girls in the girls' bathroom and one girl had some huge issue/injury/operation where her like stomach was all bandaged up and/or her like intestines were visible or falling out or something... I don't know. But if anyone could tell me what this was so I could reread it and get some kind of explanation or closure I would be so grateful.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help us name these books
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:10 am 
Online
Seagull of the PPK
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:46 pm
Posts: 8366
Location: Brasil
seitanicverses wrote:
torque wrote:
a marquez or possibly borges short story about the life of shakespeare, looking back at his romances, his adventures, and his creative genius, but at the end he is just one of God's dreams.

You asked this in another thread a while back and I googled and tried to find out then but could not. Not familiar enough with the short stories of those two authors, although I hear they're both amazing. One can only read so much, though there's always gonna be stuff I sadly miss out on.

yes, thread double-dipping! what gets me is that i do know the work of both really well and wonder if i hallucinated the story since i've looked high and low and inside out. or dreamed it. maybe i need to rewrite it!

_________________
Buddha says 'Meh'.--matwinser
I'm just a drunk who likes fruit. -- Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help us name these books
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:31 am 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 2536
Location: Connecticut
coldandsleepy wrote:
celyn wrote:
Possibly The Gammage Cup by Carol Kendall? About the Minnipins?


YES! HOLY shiitake YES!

Seriously, I have been trying to figure this out for so long. You are my new favorite person, and if you are ever in Santa Cruz, let me know and I will buy you something edible.

Oh I loved this book! I'd also forgotten the name of it.

_________________
"I never do anything you say, Isa. When I cook from VWAV and it says to add one cup of flour, I add three cups of olive oil! Now who wants some forking muffins??"-ExpiredSanity
Tumblr
Cast Iron & Cupcakes
I guess I have a Twitter now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help us name these books
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:29 am 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:44 pm
Posts: 1402
Location: Boston, MA
kilgore trout wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:
celyn wrote:
Possibly The Gammage Cup by Carol Kendall? About the Minnipins?


YES! HOLY shiitake YES!

Seriously, I have been trying to figure this out for so long. You are my new favorite person, and if you are ever in Santa Cruz, let me know and I will buy you something edible.

Oh I loved this book! I'd also forgotten the name of it.

I also loved this book! I didn't remember about the marzipan though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help us name these books
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:37 am 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:01 am
Posts: 3382
Location: Chandler, AZ
erynne936 wrote:
A book scene that has stuck with me for many many years that I read in like jr high or something.... I thought it was an RL Stine book but maybe it is some other YA book... there was a scene with like high school girls in the girls' bathroom and one girl had some huge issue/injury/operation where her like stomach was all bandaged up and/or her like intestines were visible or falling out or something... I don't know. But if anyone could tell me what this was so I could reread it and get some kind of explanation or closure I would be so grateful.

That sounds like it could be any of the Fear Street books. I'd go as far as to same most if not all of them have a female propagandist. None of them are very memorable, though.

_________________
Half the lies I tell are not true.
"luckily us vegans dont go into cardiac arrest...but we do go into food comas" - Adam Crisis


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help us name these books
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:38 am 
Offline
Calls "cavemen" on that
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:53 pm
Posts: 2384
Alright this is slightly off topic, but not really. Thought I would share this awesomeness.

I DEVOURED the baby sitter's club books as a kid. Read all of them I think, up until I was around 12. Read, re-read till they feel apart. Even as a child I knew they were total crepe. I was reading adult novels too, so these were like, fun pass the time, laugh at how dumb they were, books. I read them SO many times though, I remember them pretty clearly. I practically grew up with those dumb bisques.

I found this blog from a woman who re-reads the books as an adult, then bloggs about them.
HILAROUS. Check it out. If you ever read the books, then this is a real flashback. Her discriptions of the outfits they wore are pee your pants funny.
http://claudiasroom.blogspot.com/
this is one of my fav's
http://claudiasroom.blogspot.com/2007_0 ... chive.html

I found a whole box of BSC books in my storage not too long ago, I kind of want to read them again just for lolz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help us name these books
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:45 am 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:12 pm
Posts: 2728
Location: MKE
Ooo perfect thread.

In middle school I read a book where the main character is female and she's having a lot of internal/mental issues...she hates 'non-colors' like beige and grey and at one point cuts her hair really short and stops hiding behind her long hair. Anyone?

_________________
"I think I am going to turn into a chickpea." ~Dakini
Love is like a pineapple, sweet and undefinable ~ Piet Hein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help us name these books
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:57 pm 
Offline
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 3152
Location: BKLN
Fizzgig wrote:
Ooo perfect thread.

In middle school I read a book where the main character is female and she's having a lot of internal/mental issues...she hates 'non-colors' like beige and grey and at one point cuts her hair really short and stops hiding behind her long hair. Anyone?

i think that might have been my diary. get out of my room!

_________________
"rise from the ashes of douchebaggery like a fancy vegan phoenix" - amandabear
"I'm pretty sure the moral of this story is: fork pants." - cq


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help us name these books
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:00 pm 
Offline
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:24 pm
Posts: 5447
Location: BRLA
I don't know if I really want to know the name of this book, but I remember reading a book in fourth grade where the protagonist girl pees in the mouthwash of some girl at camp and then she feels bad about it. And I can't stop smiling remembering how scandalized I was by this totally weirdly gross book scene.

_________________
The thing about this thread is, it's dumb. - IJDI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help us name these books
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:02 pm 
Offline
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:24 pm
Posts: 5447
Location: BRLA
Chicki wrote:
Alright this is slightly off topic, but not really. Thought I would share this awesomeness.

I DEVOURED the baby sitter's club books as a kid. Read all of them I think, up until I was around 12. Read, re-read till they feel apart. Even as a child I knew they were total crepe. I was reading adult novels too, so these were like, fun pass the time, laugh at how dumb they were, books. I read them SO many times though, I remember them pretty clearly. I practically grew up with those dumb bisques.

I found this blog from a woman who re-reads the books as an adult, then bloggs about them.
HILAROUS. Check it out. If you ever read the books, then this is a real flashback. Her discriptions of the outfits they wore are pee your pants funny.
http://claudiasroom.blogspot.com/
this is one of my fav's
http://claudiasroom.blogspot.com/2007_0 ... chive.html

I found a whole box of BSC books in my storage not too long ago, I kind of want to read them again just for lolz


and omg don't even get my started on my weird BSC obsession. Still a reader. I know, I'm weird. And I scour Good Wills and other thrift stores to see if I can snag a copy of one I don't already have since there are only a bajillion or so.

_________________
The thing about this thread is, it's dumb. - IJDI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help us name these books
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:33 pm 
Offline
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 4098
Location: Austin
For the BSC fans, they have a few graphic novel versions now. They're as awesome as they sound.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], lobsteriffic and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer