| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: acid reflux in babies
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:29 pm 
Nailed to the V

Does anyone have any tips for alleviating acid reflux in babies. My little guy has acid reflux that makes him pretty miserable when it flares up. (We've been having crying jags lasting between 2 and 4 hours daily. That's not counting my own crying jags after finally getting the baby to sleep). So far, we're keeping him upright for 20 minutes after eating and I've used towels to elevate his bassinet 30 degrees so that he isn't sleeping flat.

(He's being breastfed currently and is now two weeks old in case those things make a difference).

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: acid reflux in babies
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:13 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

When he is eating or sitting up afterwards, is there anything pushing on his stomach? Sometimes even a very rounded posture can put pressure on the stomach and cause reflux. Or something like a seatbelt in a car seat. That being said, babies have tiny esophaguses and stomaches that make reflux quite normal. Is it possible he is eating too much?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:23 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Grey had horrible reflux that didn't really let up until he was 6 months and started sitting up on his own. That being said, the swing helped after about 4 months. I also stopped eating chocolate and dairy (I am vegetarian) and both those things seemed to help a little. Grey basically cried while he was awake except for 30 minute every morning until he was 4 months. Then I got about an hour of no crying a day. He was also on reflux drugs. It w pretty rough, I hope things get better for you soon!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:28 pm 
Nailed to the V

Thank you both.

My husband and I have been holding him after his meals so that he stays upright. I'll take more care to make sure he's not slouching. (He sometimes has a rounded spine when I'm holding him in a "sitting up" position). It's definitely possible that he's overeating. He does eat a lot and I've just been feeding him as much as he wants.

Littlebear, I'm glad to hear that Gray is okay now. That sounds absolutely horrible. I will have to ask my doctor if there's anything I should be cutting from my diet. My diet since Finn's birth hasn't exactly been fabulous.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:42 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Tried meds? Your ped should be able to prescribe something to help.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:01 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I hope you figure it out. I just finished the feeding and swallowing section in one of my classes, but we didn't cover really, really young babies. It'll be interesting to hear what works.