| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Great Big Birth Stories Thread
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:23 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Noelle, I'm crying. What a story!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:38 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Noelle your story is amazing - I am so happy for your healthy baby and wish a speedy recovery for you!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:18 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Noelle - what an incredible story. Amazing that you kept your cool so well! I'm sorry you had to be separated from your baby for so long, but I'm glad everybody is healthy now! And it sounds like your midwives were absolutely great and professional.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:31 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

What a great story Noelle, and the pictures are excellent. So glad that you are all safe and well. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:55 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Great story, Noelle! You must be so impressed with yourself to have been so brave during the emergency. The feeling of accomplishment we get from giving birth is one thing, but getting through what you went through is truly awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:14 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

What an amazing story, Noelle, thanks so much for sharing. I totally got the "It's just so... big" feeling. You're so strong getting through your birth and the aftermath. This was such a great story to hear. Congratulations again!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:52 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Wow. What a beautifully written story - I cried almost the whole way through! (I also just had a baby not so long ago, so I am quite partial to that!) You must be so happy to have such a great record of your story now, and all those pictures. Thank you for sharing with us!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:03 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Noelle, your photos are incredible. Thank you for sharing your story and congratulations to your whole family.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:22 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

wow, noelle, that is really REALLY intense. have you met with your midwives since to process what happened a bit more? do they have any idea what went wrong? i was wondering during the part when you talk about the crash with the bowl and that one of the midwives had the cord in her hand what happened there.

you don't have to answer if you're not up for talking about it yet. i'm just curious, because placenta stuff and pph is one of my main concerns about us planning a home birth.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:52 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Oh man Noelle. That made me so scared for you reading it... I am so glad your birth team was so on too of things and that you're all right! (What a great birth up til the scary part too. Your birth team really sounds wonderful.) Congrats again on having your Ivy!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:48 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

So it's taken me quite a while to get around to writing this. Life with twins has been kind of a blur so far. They have been taking a freakishly long nap this morning, so I thought I would take this opportunity and finally post this. 

I woke up around 4am on August 4th (37 weeks and 6 days) feeling wet.  I shook my husband and asked him to get me a towel because I thought my water had broken.  I got up and went to the bathroom and decided that it definitely was my water. I took a quick shower and then called my doctor's office. They told me to go ahead and go to the hospital. So we got our things together and left for the hospital. I was having contractions, but not really anything different than I had been having for weeks. I called my mom on the way there, so she could start getting ready, since she lives 90 minutes away.
When we got to the hospital, they got me settled into a room and started monitoring the babies.  The on call doctor came to see me and let me know that she was going to call my doctor. My doc was not on call that day, but had said she would make every effort to be there even if she wasn't on call. So I was hopeful that she would be coming in. There wasn't really anything happening at that point. My contractions were not very frequent or strong. We were pretty much just watching the Olympics waiting for something to happen. My mom, grandma, and step-dad arrived and offered to go get us some good vegan food. Fortunately, the hospital is in an area with a lot of vegan options. So my step-dad went and got us some delicious tofu scrambles. 

At this point, they had hooked me up to an IV and were administering antibiotics since I had tested positive for group b strep.  There had been a shift change and the new on call doc came in to see me.  She said that they had not heard from my doc yet. I told her that I wanted to have a natural drug-free childbirth if possible. I had already discussed this with my doc and I had agreed to have to epidural line put in my back just in case, but I didn't want drugs being administered unless I felt they were necessary. The on call doc didn't seem too crazy about that idea and said she HIGHLY recommended getting the drugs because the second baby was in a breech position. She said she would basically have to stick her arm up my uterus, grab her by the feet, and pull her out.  She said this was incredibly painful and strongly urged me to reconsider. Initially this rubbed me the wrong way, since I wasn't saying that I was absolutely refusing the epidural. I just wanted to take the wait and see approach. She came back two more times to urge me to have the epidural. Both my husband and my mom were quite irritated with her at that point. I did have the line put in my back around 10am. When she finally checked my cervix, I was only 3 cm dilated. I continued to be at 3cm every time I was checked.  This went on pretty much all day.  I finally agreed to start a low dose of pitocin around 4pm, 12 hours after my water had broken. They started it very low and gradually increased the dose. My contractions slowly started to get more intense, so they checked me again and I was still at 3 cm. At that point, my contractions started to get really painful. In the back of my mind, I was thinking about what the doctor had said and I knew I wanted to have the drugs for that breech delivery. So when the contractions got really painful I asked for the anesthesiologist to come in. He gave me a fairly low dose, so I could still feel things and move my legs, but the intense pain was gone. I was then able to sleep a little bit.  

At this point I knew my doc was not coming. No one had heard from her. I think it was around 9pm that the doctor came to check on me again and told me I was at 10cm.  I was totally shocked. We had to wait a little while for the operating room to be available (all twin deliveries take place in the operating room just in case). They finally wheeled me in there sometime after 10pm. This was such a different environment from my birthing suite. It was so bright and white, with so much equipment and so many people. Being flat on my back the operating table with legs up in the stirrups in a room full of strangers was not ideal, but I knew there was no way around it. I waited while they got everything set up. Finally, the doctor told me it was time to push. I pushed through the first contraction and then had a couple of minutes to rest. The second contraction came and I started pushing again. I suddenly felt an insane amount of pressure and the next thing I knew, his head was out. His body quickly followed. I couldn't believe how quickly it had happened! He let out a littl cry and was taken over to the NICU nurses to be checked out. I didn't really get a good look at him. Shawn went over to see him while they did an ultrasound to determine the position of the second baby. She was still breech, so the doc reached up and grabbed her by the ankles and started to pull her out. She managed to get her legs and waist out, but then she got stuck. Several minutes passed and I started to get nervous as she and another doc tried to pull in different directions.  She finally got the shoulders out and then the head.  I was so relieved that she was out, but quickly became fearful when I saw that she was completely limp. The took her over to the NICU nurses and they immediately went to work trying to revive her. I just laid there watching from across the room feeling totally helpless while they stitched me up. Over a minute passed before she finally let out a cry. At that moment I knew she was okay. Her condition improved quickly and both babies were able to go back to the room with me. I was so incredibly relieved and joyful. And I was actually grateful to the doc for pushing the epidural. I really didn't consider what the breech birth would be like. I'm sure there are women who are able to do it, but I know it would have been more than I could handle. 
All things considered, it was a great experience. The two most important things to me, having a vaginal birth and avoiding the NICU, were achieved. Arthur and Sadie are two amazingly sweet babies.  I still can't believe they're mine. 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:46 pm 
Semen Strong

Its so nice to hear from you and so glad that your twins are giving you a wee break at the moment.

What an amazing story! I have chills. One baby was a lot for me, I can't even imagine a twin birth!

Did you ever find out what happened to your MD?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:16 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Tofulish wrote:
Did you ever find out what happened to your MD?

Oh yeah. Her husband had surprised her that morning and took her on a bike ride out at Lake Chelan. So she was out of cell range all day. She did eventually call in when she got back to town, but things were already in motion.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:30 pm 

What an amazing story! It's awesome that the doctor was willing to do a vaginal delivery with your second twin. Most practices these days will do a c-section if the second twin isn't head down after the first is born. At the hospitals around here, women whose twin B is breech late in pregnancy are often counseled to just schedule a c-section so they don't go through a vaginal delivery with the first and then end up having surgery anyway. You were so brave! And again, I love their names so much!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:18 pm 
Nailed to the V

Sorry this took so long. My little guy is suffering from acid reflux, so I have problems getting him to sleep long enough for me to do any adult things. Anyway, here's my birth story.

At my last Ob visit on the 4th, the baby had made no progress towards actually being born. I told him that I really didn't want to be pregnant anymore and promised lots of hugs if he was born on time. My Mom came to visit on the 6th, 3 days ahead of my due date. On the 7th, we went to a street fair in Venice and walked around for a few hours. That night, my water broke at about 2:30 a.m. My husband freaked out and wanted to rush to the hospital, but I reminded him that our doctor said to call her if my water broke. The doctor called back about 30 minutes later and said we should shower, have a meal and then make our way to the hospital. My husband didn't really calm down, but I was able to get him to eat. (I need no invitation to eat, so I had some cereal, fruit and soy yogurt). We woke my Mom up and told her we were going to the hospital and she wanted to come along. My husband also made the interesting choice of waking up our poor pet sitter (with a 3 a.m. text) to let her know she was on dog and cat duty.

We got to the hospital and they put me on the baby monitor for a bit. Once it was confirmed that the baby was okay, they told me I was free to walk around to try to get labor started. I started having contractions, so I was excited that the baby was coming on his own. The hospital had a policy that the baby needed to be monitored 15 minutes every hour, so I walked around or rocked in the rocking chair in my room for 45 minutes and sat in bed for 15. By 7 a.m., I was exhausted and took a nap. About an hour later, the nurse checked and reported that I had made no progress at all. I was pretty frustrated.

We continued the walking and rocking for about two more hours and the nurse checked again. Still no progress. (I was at 1 cm). At this point, I was also having a severe pain in my side that the nurse said was probably the baby on my bladder. As the labor continued, it became clear that the little guy was indeed attempting to exit my body with all his might through my bladder. I was anxious to get the baby out, so I agreed to Pitocin. I decided before labor that if I needed Pitocin and would be stuck in bed, that I wanted an epidural, so I asked for that too.

Around that time, another mom needed an emergency C section, so both the Pitocin and epidural waited until that was complete. The nurse then came back and started the Pitocin. Shortly after that, I got the epidural. It was pretty amazing not to feel the contractions at all. I felt happy with my choice because I knew I couldn't deal with contraction pain if I was stuck in bed. Hours passed. At this point, it was about 7 at night. The nurse who had been monitoring me said that my contractions had been really strong and she felt confident it would be time to push soon. She checked and found that I was 2 cm dilated. I wanted to cry.

The nurse's shift was ending, so the night shift nurse took over. That's about the time I started to tremble uncontrollably. Apparently, that can be a sign that labor is progressing, but, in my case, it was a sign that I had a fever. Fortunately, the baby was still doing well so the doctor told the nurses to keep monitoring and allow labor to continue. The nurse increased my Pitocin and I slowly moved from 2 cm to 7 cm. Oddly, the more Pitocin they gave me, though, the weaker my contractions became.

Around 3 a.m., I started to have horrible pressure in my bladder. It wasn't pain -- just extreme discomfort like I really had to go to the bathroom. The poor baby was continuing in his mad attempt to exit through my bladder. At about 4 a.m., I became fairly hysterical from the discomfort and may have threatened the nurse, my husband and anyone else who tried to tell me that I was doing okay. My Mom cleverly told me that my discomfort was certainly not okay, so she was spared my wrath. At 5:30 a.m., I asked the nurse to check my progress again because I was beginning to go insane. There had been no progress at all. The doctor came to see me and told me that the baby seemed to be having difficulty getting into the proper position to be born. Although he wasn't in distress, I elected to go ahead with a C section.

At 6, they wheeled me into the operating room. At 6:35, I heard my baby cry and knew he was okay. Like me, he had a fever, but he appeared to be doing well. Because of the surgery, I wasn't able to have the special hour with the baby that I had wanted, but my husband was able to hold him for the hour while I was in the recovery room. An hour after that, I was declared out-of-the-woods and sent to my room where the baby and my husband were waiting. (The baby and I both needed to be on antibiotics for a few days, but we were otherwise fine).

Without further ado, I present Phineas Kelly:

Last edited by bcakes on Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:26 pm 
Semen Strong

He is SO GORGEOUS! And I love the name Phineas Kelly! Its perfect and it suits him.

Thank you for sharing your story with us, and congratulations on your beautiful son and your birth! And sending many good thoughts for healing and for everyone feeling better soon!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:33 pm 

Congratulations, bcakes! He's so cute!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:21 pm 
Nailed to the V

Thank you guys.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:28 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Haha, what a cutie!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:58 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

He is such a cutie - thank you for sharing your story - I was going through birth story withdrawal.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:28 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

What a cutie! Glad you're both healthy! I hope you've been getting lots of snuggles, and maybe a bit of sleep too. Best wishes for your recovery!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:18 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Bcakes, what a crazy intense story! Congrats again.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:28 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

So cute! Love the name too!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:18 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

HE IS SO CUTE I just about exploded when I saw that face. <3

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:18 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I've been absent a lot—turns out having two kids really cuts into my sitting-around-on-the-Internet time!—but now that Ivy is 2-1/2 months old and I've processed things a little...
[quote="littlebird"have you met with your midwives since to process what happened a bit more? do they have any idea what went wrong? i was wondering during the part when you talk about the crash with the bowl and that one of the midwives had the cord in her hand what happened there.[/quote]
My midwife did some gentle cord traction to check on the placenta. As I understand it, she wasn't pulling hard at all, but the cord snapped off completely. It really surprised everyone. The crashing noise was the metal bowl that was supposed to catch the placenta getting bumped.

As for why my placenta was retained, we're still not really sure. But I have a theory. I have a bicornuate uterus—it's basically heart-shaped. Ivy's placenta was WAY up in one of the "horns" (or "Mickey Mouse ears" as a doctor once described them to me). It was in the same place that I had some retained placental tissue last year after a miscarriage. That tissue was removed via D&C. My guess is that there was some scar tissue in that part of my uterus, and that Ivy's placenta adhered to the scar. That might explain why my midwife wasn't able to remove the placenta manually at home. She tried, and the placenta started to break apart. Also, scar tissue doesn't contract the way normal tissue does, which might help explain why the placenta didn't detach on its own. Again, this is just my theory, after doing some research on my own.

When I talked with one of my midwives about this, she said that the only other time she saw a situation like this, the mother ALSO had a bicornuate uterus (but no one knew). My midwives did know about my abnormal uterus, but retained placenta is supposedly NOT one of the problems associated with a bicornuate uterus. (Fetal growth restriction, preterm labor, and malpresentation of the fetus are the most common issues.)

In short, it's still a mystery as to why I had the complication that I did. When I was pregnant with Westley, obviously I had the same uterus (but I hadn't had any uterine surgeries). We didn't know about my bicornuate uterus then. His birth, which was also at home, was complication-free.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next