| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help - dinner party for omnis who think GF = yucky.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:16 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

So, I have one friend who's going gluten-free to see if it helps with some health issues he's been having, and another friend who knows he's gluten intolerant and is really, really bitter about it. Neither of them cook much so they both seem to think that they're doomed to a life of either crappy food or unpleasant gut aches. Yes, they're both being rather melodramatic about it. Cue the violins.

To help them see that this is not the case, I’ve promised to do a big fun GF dinner party for them where they will be able to eat everything and it will all be fantastic and tasty. I don't cook gluten-free that often, though, and most of my go-to dishes to impress omnis involve pasta and bread. What are some really awesome, knock-your-socks-off recipes that you find lots of people like? Bonus points if they’re “naturally” gluten-free, if only so that they don’t fixate on things like, “this isn’t the same as REAL pasta” (sigh).

I have arrowroot, chickpea, tapioca, and almond flours. For cookbooks, I have V’con, Vegan Diner, Indian Vegan Kitchen, VCIYCJ, and VPITS at home, and access to quite a few others at the local library.

Tentatively I’m thinking that the Pear Frangipane Tart from VPITS would make a good dessert, using the press-in almond crust, and the scalloped potatoes from V’con are something I’ve been wanting to try.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Help - dinner party for omnis who think GF = yucky.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:19 pm 
Chard Martyr

do you and they like indian food? you could do some super flavorful curries all served with rice.

that pear frangipane with the almond crust would be great! but doesn't it have oats? i've made it GF with brown rice flour and it came out great.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:27 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

They do like indian food, but we have lots of indian restaurants around here so I'm not sure I could compete on that level. That said, trying at least one curry dish probably couldn't hurt! Sorry, should have mentioned that given that I have the indian cookbook listed there.

And I didn't think the tart had oats. Is that in the filling or just the crust? I may be thinking of the wrong crust, now that I look at the recipe on the blog - the crust I'm thinking of was a mix of ground almonds and flour, with little enough flour that I figured I'd be able to replace it without too much trouble. Thanks for the tip about the brown rice flour, I may have to look at adding that to my pantry!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:30 pm 
Chard Martyr

oh okay, maybe it was flour, not oats. i just remembered the crust having something not gluten free in it.

that makes sense about indian food if you eat it a lot. those scalloped potatoes are so good! you should definitely make those, or maybe mexican food? enchiladas or tacos?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:53 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Ooh, I didn't think about mexican, that's a good one. Who doesn't like tacos, after all?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The Mexican food idea is great. Or you could make one of the polenta recipes from V'Con (either the broccoli one or the poppyseed recipe. . . both are great), along with a nice veggie/bean stew or something.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:11 pm 
Naked Under Apron

ijustdiedinside is spot on - mexi-eats are awesome for those naturally gluten-free dishes.

Terry's spicy tortilla casserole with roasted poblanos is awesome and super omni-friendly. i've made the pine nut crema before with white beans and raw cashews instead of the pine nuts and tofu and it turned out just as awesome (i used 1 can of white beans + 1/2 cup raw cashews + almond milk).

Lazy Smurf's vegan al pastor tacos are also really omin-friendly (we served them at superbowl last year and peeps are them more than anything else anybody brought to the pot luck!). i made them with soy curls instead of seitan and just reconstituted the curls in veggie broth + 1/2 the amount of the spices Lazy Smurf calls for in the seitan recipe. soooooo yum!

good sides/fix'ns for mexi-eats: coconut-cilantro-lime rice (cook up rice in full fat coconut milk instead of water then once it's cooked add in lime juice from 1/2 a lime + chopped cilantro), homemade salsa, pineapple salsa (pineapple + jalapeno + red onion + agave nectar + lime juice), and kittee's easy pupusas.

oooh, and Terry's portobello feijoada is awesome over coconut rice, too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:32 pm 
Chip Strong

my omnivore friends (and husband) have really enjoyed spring rolls with tofu with a peanut sauce. i forget what books they are from but i can look... my omni husband also loves the tofu lettuce wraps from Appetite for Reduction.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:20 pm 
Tofu Pup

I highly recommend the cocoa-coconut chili from Eat, Drink, Be Vegan. It is naturally gluten free and so addictive! Nice and festive for the fall too =)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:07 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

There is a good few recipes in AFR that are gluten free. One of my faves is the Black Bean Chili. Serve it with some brown rice and tortilla chips and they will be in heaven.

The banana bread in Babycakes is pretty amazing especially if you make it with chocolate chips. It says use bob's red mill but I have made it fine with other gluten free mixes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:10 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions everyone! That spicy tortilla casserole sounds especially awesome, definitely going to give that a try.

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]