| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Jersey! - Only the Strong Survive
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:39 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thank you, Larisa, for trying to help with my Metuchen question. I asked and it turns out the bread for the pbj at Brewed Awakenings has milk in it :(

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:07 pm 
Semen Strong

I keep reading this thread as "Only the Stoned Survive."

Anyone up for a trip to Sprig & Vine? I heard that it might not be doing so well, and the food there is amazing and fantastic and I want to support them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:47 pm 
protein lump

that is a bummer about sprig and vine. we haven't been there in a while. mostly because it is annoying to drive 2 hours to find out they are closed >:|

we tried some of the stuff at crust and crumble in asbury park last time we visited my mom. we had the bbq chickn pizza (i forget what clever name they had for it) and a sausage and peppers sandwich. both were fantastic! i can't wait to try every single thing on their vegan menu.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:12 pm 
Semen Strong

JENNA suggested getting vegan Korean tacos at MOGO on the Asbury Park Boardwalk and they were amazing!

http://www.facebook.com/eatmogo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:22 pm 
protein lump

ah! i have been wanting to go there! if we go to my mom's labor day weekend, maybe we'll trek up to the boardwalk.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:28 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I don't know if I asked this before, but the inlaws live in monsey/airmont. they don't like veggie heaven, unfortunately, so do you know of anywhere else? we were going to this Thai place, but we've been feeling icky after eating there, and they are kinda limited anyway.

maybe nyack or tarrytown? new city, mahwah? montvale? Ramsey, suffern?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:29 pm 

we went to nyack main essentials. it was very tasty, but the selection was limited. (we went at 8:30, and they close at 9, so it's understandable. i'm sure if we went earlier, there'd be more things. there were 12 spots in the buffet table, it looked like, and having gotten there so late, there were only 6 left.) the in-laws seemed pleased, even with the small selection. they only got the soup and some chicken wings, so it's possible they were just saying that to make us not feel bad.

next time we'll try true food across the street. that might have more selection, and it also serves meat.

then we went to patisserie didier dumas and got some sorbetto. (they have an out-of-date list of non-dairy flavors on the front of the case. the black currant flavor was very tasty.) http://www.didierdumas.com

then down the street, there was a bakery that was opening up called flour buds that said it was gluten free, and the little blurb in the window said it will have vegan selections daily. http://www.flourbuds.com (they weren't open when we were there.)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:26 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've only been to Sprig & Vine once and it was awesome and amazing. But yeah, its about an hour drive for me and I'm broke. So that's not happening again anytime soon. I really hope they start doing better if they closed that would be awful.

They need a better location and some marketing!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:14 pm 

yeah, the only good thing about their location is that it has a parking lot. i'd assume not being on the strip is hurting their profits. (unless they somehow determined that their main clientele would be the kind coming in, eating and leaving. i suppose)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:09 pm 
Semen Strong

I think the problem with Sprig & Vine is that the service is so impersonal - if you want vegans to drive an hour+ to get to you to eat, make them feel like their support is appreciated. I don't drive an hour plus to get pretty standard impersonal service and good food, but no better than I could find for the same price as I could find in NYC. Plus, there isn't that much to do around there, so you go eat, then walk around a pretty town and then drive the 90 mins home. At least in NYC you could go to a show, go shopping, pick up special vegan ingredients and then go to another vegan place for dinner and make a day of it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:59 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm not a huge forum goer and happened to feel the urge to finally check on here for some places in state. I cannot believe how many vegan options there are. Here in Toms River we only have Via Roma (that I saw mentioned early on in the thread) and The Revolutionary Lounge. Nothing really 'special.' Can't wait to try some of these places since I have family and friends in Bergen County!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tofulish wrote:
I think the problem with Sprig & Vine is that the service is so impersonal - if you want vegans to drive an hour+ to get to you to eat, make them feel like their support is appreciated. I don't drive an hour plus to get pretty standard impersonal service and good food, but no better than I could find for the same price as I could find in NYC. Plus, there isn't that much to do around there, so you go eat, then walk around a pretty town and then drive the 90 mins home. At least in NYC you could go to a show, go shopping, pick up special vegan ingredients and then go to another vegan place for dinner and make a day of it.

Hmmm, we had a pretty nice experience the one time we went. It was early in the day though, we had lunch before walking all over New Hope and Lambertville. I really hate the shopping center they are in and parking is a bisque in that whole area. We only go to New Hope once a year, normally in the fall. It's a day trip for us. We walk, eat, drink coffee, feed the ducks, and just enjoy the outdoors. NYC is on a whole other level for me! That is an overnight trip normally and about 2.5 hours of a drive.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:01 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Tofulish wrote:

Wow I came here to post about Jason's Pizza Cafe in Pt. Pleasant, but have to comment on this. I'm so surprised you feel this way! I think there is so much to do in New Hope! There is the Buck's County Playhouse if you want to go to a show, several gourmet shops with vegan ingredients (the store dedicated to chilies right around the block from Spring and Vine, & the gourmet oil & vinegar shop right near it come immediately to mind), the old-timey train & ferry boat (great for kids), hiking, the delaware, art galleries both in New Hope and right across the bridge in Lambertville, adorable shopping, antiquing, bars (gay, bikers, whatever you name it)....I mean sure it isn't nyc but for a suburb??? It is awesome!!

I go to Spring and Vine pretty often since it is relatively close to my job. It's been pretty busy every time I've been there, so I'm surprised to hear they might not be doing well??? God I hope not. I've been vegan in this area for 14 yrs now and I'd say it is my top 3 restaurant - Angelica Kitchen holding #1 forever, Candle 79 second, and now Spring & Vine. Even my military/cop steak and potatoes dad loves Spring & Vine. I can't say I've ever had bad service there either - we've been there multiple times since kai was born, and they've always been gracious. Also I'm thinking they probably have quite a few artsy locals to cater too, it isn't exactly like their clientele is all from NYC.

I sound like a tour guide or I work for new Hope or something haha. I just love it so much!

Anyhow, Jason's Pizza Cafe in Pt. Pleasant has really improved. It was already good but we went on Sat. & the menu has gotten even better! There are more entrees & apps instead of just pizza & sandwiches, salads etc. I had chiken (gardein) Marsala and it was sooo tasty. Of course it would be better if it was homemade seitan, but, for gardein it was really excellent so that's saying a lot. There were also mozzarella sticks added to the menu and they were really good - not quite as good as 3 brothers in LI but very close. Even my son ate the vegan's fav pizza (hummus, daiya, artichokes & olives). Their fresh bread and crust are so good.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:10 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Ohhhh people, thank you thank you. New Jersey native here (European transplant) and going home for a few days next month. Will defniitely try to squeeze some of these in (especially maybe a trip to New Hope to check out Sprig & Vine!).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:43 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Amsterdamaged wrote:
New Jersey native here (European transplant)

wooo! represent!

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:28 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
Amsterdamaged wrote:
New Jersey native here (European transplant)

wooo! represent!

WOOOP!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:10 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Pizza in Pt. Pleasant?? Wish I knew about that over the summer. Yay ocean county and southern Monmouth county vegans! I need to try that Korean taco place in Asbury, I wonder of its open during the off season.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:46 pm 
protein lump

it'll be open - everything on the boardwalk is required to stay open in the off-season or they have to get out. i guess they're trying to get more off-season tourists or something.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:51 pm 
Semen Strong

I had no idea! When are you next around? Leela and I will come taco you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:44 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

i'm coming back December 12 - 29! are there any new & exciting must-visit places i should go to? i'm definitely hitting up Cinnamon Snail! (do they still do Sundays in Red Bank in the winter?)

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:11 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Korean taco place in Asbury? I hadn't heard of this, but it sounds good.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:16 pm 
Semen Strong

Larisa it is SO good. I got their tofu tacos and they are insanely delish. Plus you can get them really spicy and eat them with a view of the ocean.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:50 am 
protein lump

Tofulish wrote:
I had no idea! When are you next around? Leela and I will come taco you.

second weekend in november! the... ::checks calendar:: 10th/11th. tacos!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:08 am 
Semen Strong

YES! WE ARE IN FOR THE TACOS!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:27 pm 
protein lump

remember that time there was a korean taco stand in asbury park? yeah. my mom said it's not there anymore :/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next