| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 387, 388, 389, 390, 391, 392, 393 ... 617  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:57 pm 
Semen Strong

Sorry LW, how frustrating. I know how much you struggle to motivate your students, and it must be upsetting to feel like you (and other teachers) are working harder to have the kids succeed than their parents.

Parental involvement is huge, and I can't believe how easily we pretend that its less important than the quality of the teachers

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:03 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Oh yeah, this wasn't me. The participation info I gave above trends school wide, though parents of freshmen tend to be a little more involved.

Also consider that I have a lot of students at risk of not graduating!

As to why this isn't discussed more? Well, voters don't want politicians yelling at them to take care of their own kids. But they love passing the buck onto the overpaid, lazy teachers.

Oh yeah: if a parent requests, they will be provided with a translator, free of charge, so that they may attend. They are given this information in multilingual messages sent home, via email, via snail mail, and weekly phone recorded district messages.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:05 pm 
Chard Martyr

I was just sitting back, eating fried gluten, fried turnip cakes, and fried spring rolls, thinking how fabulous it is that I FINALLY have a day off tomorrow and I will sleep sleep sleep, when one of my staff called in sick for tomorrow. So, no day off for me. It's been double digits since my last one. The worst thing is that I was planning to stop in to see a doctor tomorrow because I have a bunch of weird health issues (losing weight, exhaustion), but that'll have to wait. Whine whine, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:05 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

But, yeah. That's what I did instead of lolling at home with hot water bottle, chocolate, and Daniel Craig movies.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:54 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

vijita wrote:
I was just sitting back, eating fried gluten, fried turnip cakes, and fried spring rolls, thinking how fabulous it is that I FINALLY have a day off tomorrow and I will sleep sleep sleep, when one of my staff called in sick for tomorrow. So, no day off for me. It's been double digits since my last one. The worst thing is that I was planning to stop in to see a doctor tomorrow because I have a bunch of weird health issues (losing weight, exhaustion), but that'll have to wait. Whine whine, etc.

Are you salaried? You seem to be working too much. Take a day off and see that doctor.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:19 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

pandacookie wrote:
vijita wrote:

Are you salaried? You seem to be working too much. Take a day off and see that doctor.

This x 100

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:10 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

vijita wrote:

At a guess it is probably because you are worn out from working. You need rest hun. You work far too much xxxx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:54 am 
Chard Martyr

Thanks guys. I'm not salaried but I'm working my way there. We are a small and rapidly growing company and I am the only full-timer in my area. I find it really hard not to take the extra hours because I'm working really hard to pay off my student debt. What I DO need to do is get a wage increase so all of this madness is worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:32 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

In my desperate quest to find pants that fit and look reasonably decent, I actually found a local store that specifically makes special pants for short, weirdly-sized guys*. I tried on a bunch of pants, got measuring-taped up the wazoo, and was informed by the head expert on making special pants for short, weirdly-sized guys* (as in, he personally invented several of the tailoring techniques used for such pants) that he was very sorry, but there was nothing he could do for me.

Soooooooooooooo now it is confirmed that I'm a freak of nature.
Also, fork pants. Seriously. :(

*I am short. And weirdly-sized. I do not identify as a guy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:10 pm 
Impressive boner

I'm sorry CQ. Similar things have happened to me in the past and I've always found it saddening and frustrating. I would've liked to think that the store owner might have seen your visit as a way to invent new and more awesome tailoring techniques.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:22 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ended up crying in the campus counselling centre about stress and expectations.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:32 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I just got back home from spending nearly 48 hours straight with my crush. It was very dreamy. But it really triggered a bad feeling of melancholy. It's a bit hard for me because he'll say the most amazing, sweet, romantic and thoughtful things, but then he'll say things like how he hopes he's not leading me on, he's really broken, etc... Now, in a way it works, I'm pretty messed up still with how my brain is handling my divorce, too, but, when I'm with him it feels so amazing. He told me if he wasn't broken and if his life wasn't in chaos he would definitely be 'woo-ing' me. Which I now really wish he didn't say, because I've never been woo-ed, I'm always the woo-er, and dammit do I want that. Oh, and it's also compounded by the fact that it finally clicked for me that he'll really never be able to like (even remotely) the kind of music that I'm passionate about.

Blah. Such a silly worst thing comparatively. But, emotions...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:43 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

vijita wrote:
Thanks guys. I'm not salaried but I'm working my way there. We are a small and rapidly growing company and I am the only full-timer in my area. I find it really hard not to take the extra hours because I'm working really hard to pay off my student debt. What I DO need to do is get a wage increase so all of this madness is worth it.

If you keep going at this pace, you run the risk of burnout or getting sick and then how will you pay off student loans? Please think about taking some time for yourself. It's great that you are a conscientious employee and willing to work so hard, but it really is not your responsibility to step in every time they are shorthanded.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:02 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

bunniee wrote:
vijita wrote:

If you keep going at this pace, you run the risk of burnout or getting sick and then how will you pay off student loans? Please think about taking some time for yourself. It's great that you are a conscientious employee and willing to work so hard, but it really is not your responsibility to step in every time they are shorthanded.

This. It may feel ok now but I worry that you'll work yourself to the point where you can't anymore. Take the time off when you can and make it feel ok to say no once in a while.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:41 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Mom is really stressing out about the coming storm because she's worried if we flood, we can't go back to our place right away. Hopefully the storm isn't so bad.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:15 pm 
Semen Strong

Hiking with non-vegan friends, who went "YUM!" when we saw a wild turkey. Seriously, why?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:38 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Icky icky migraine. I know it is just stress. I have one more week of work and then we are planning a mass walk out. (Well, a third of the employees are planning on quitting the same day, in one meeting). And the nerves of that is freaking me out big time.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:18 pm 

I spent most of last night at the emergency vet with my dog and my mom. He's ok now but the problem was likely that my mom (who he lives with) fed him spicy chicken table scraps. I've told her countless times to not feed him her dinner but she has never listened. Hopefully this will change immediately. The only upside was they did a radiograph and his innards are in amazingly great condition for a 16 year old dog.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:41 pm 
Chip Strong

stupid rant but the last three movies I got from netflix that had subtitles were unwatchable because the print extended below my screen. it needed to be in widescreen format so the text was visible but it wasn't. there was no option to change the screen set up so I had to turn off the movies and just send them back. Happened again tonight with the movie "The Separation" which I really wanted to see. Frustrating.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:19 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Tofulish wrote:
Hiking with non-vegan friends, who went "YUM!" when we saw a wild turkey. Seriously, why?

Ugh, my dad used to do this thing where he'd say "Dead bambi!" every time we saw roadkill deer, and play all innocent when I got upset about it.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:02 am 
Chard Martyr

lillianp wrote:
bunniee wrote:
vijita wrote:

This. It may feel ok now but I worry that you'll work yourself to the point where you can't anymore. Take the time off when you can and make it feel ok to say no once in a while.

Thank you! You guys are so nice. I should have also stated that I'm working extra hard because a coworker was involved in a really horrific car accident, so knowing I'm in some way helping her is fuelling me on. Also, I have four days off at the beginning of November (to finish some writing projects), and I'm going to visit my parents to do so, so that will be at the very least, a change of...well, not pace, but subject matter.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:42 pm 

1) Tons of maggots in the water filter of the scrubbing/mopping machine at work, which I had to clean.
2) Green projectile vomiting in one of the toilets at work, which I had to clean.
3) Clogged drain at work, which I had to clean. (I had to unscrew the entire thing and had to remove a mouldy dreadlock before the drain worked normally again.)
4) One of my colleagues took extensive pride and joy in calling me 'girl' rather than 'Paloma', kissing me hello instead of shaking hands like everyone else does, and in general ogling me and undressing me with his eyes.
5) I am under the impression that my medication is somehow off, which makes me feel sick and tired.

Boo.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:13 pm 

Finding out my brother, the dog, and I are going to our sister's for the storm. Last time we did this, the dog cried the whole drive, and took a huge shiitake on my sister's carpet. Which was kinda funny but still. Stress.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:05 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

The bro-dudes who live upstairs are having a Halloween party with a DJ and a DANCE FLOOR. And they're planning to go til 2 or 3. I'm a grumpy (faux) old person at best, but I've also been sick for a week. This is forking balls. I'm headed to my mom's for the night, which is a pain in the asparagus but at least I'll be able to sleep before 3 am.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:29 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Paloma wrote:
1) Tons of maggots in the water filter of the scrubbing/mopping machine at work, which I had to clean.
2) Green projectile vomiting in one of the toilets at work, which I had to clean.
3) Clogged drain at work, which I had to clean. (I had to unscrew the entire thing and had to remove a mouldy dreadlock before the drain worked normally again.)
4) One of my colleagues took extensive pride and joy in calling me 'girl' rather than 'Paloma', kissing me hello instead of shaking hands like everyone else does, and in general ogling me and undressing me with his eyes.
5) I am under the impression that my medication is somehow off, which makes me feel sick and tired.

Boo.

What kind of hellhole do you work in?! It sounds truly awful.

bird noises | book of faces

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 387, 388, 389, 390, 391, 392, 393 ... 617  Next