| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: ghost stories!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:22 am 
Inflexitarian

It is literally a dark & stormy night - WHY am I reading these spooky stories just before bed??!!

I have one & it's not scary, it's nice. I had a cat who died about five years ago. We'd been together for 15 years & she died of old age (she was 3-1/2 when I brought her home from the shelter). I've had other cats, but she was the special one - my furry little soulmate. I still miss her so much & just get choked up thinking about her, she was so loyal & affectionate with a BIG personality, & she's irreplaceable. Anyway, that's the preamble...

About a year & a half ago (so a few years after she'd died), I was sitting on the sofa in the living room reading a book. She'd never lived in this house - I moved out of the house I was in when she died. I wasn't in a particularly melancholy mood & I wasn't thinking about her at all, but I looked down the hallway & it was as if I could see her there, walking along the hall towards me, except I couldn't see her with my eyes, it was as though I was seeing her with my mind's eye. But it wasn't as though I was imagining things, it was somehow external to me & involuntary, if you get what I mean. So I could "see" her so vividly walking along with her tail in the air, & jump up on the arm of the sofa & chirp (just as she used to). It was so weird because basically she was invisible, but my eyes followed her as she walked across the sofa & paused in the same way she always did & then climbed onto my lap, & it was as though I could feel her there. As I said, I wasn't in a sad mood or anything, but this experience was so overwhelming, tears just started pouring down my face. I wasn't sobbing or anything, but tears were streaming. And then she was gone.

It was such an odd experience, that the next day, I was at my best friend Mark's house & was telling him & his partner about it. That was the house I was living in while my cat was alive, so my friend was very close to her too. So I was telling my story, & my friend's partner said "Mark had a visitation from her yesterday too. He thought he heard her bell ring, & he started to cry" (she always used to announce her arrival into the room by shaking her collar & ringing the bell). We compared notes, & he had been visited by her at about the same time as I was. It was so nice, I wish she'd come back & say hi more often!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:04 pm 
WRETCHED

That is freaky. I freaked myself out the night before last because I felt movement on my bed so I assumed it was my cat but she wouldn't stop moving around my feet. I turned around to tell her to stop but she is instead laying on the other side of the bed and there was nobody else there.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:57 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

1) When my friend was 4, her parents got a sudden phone call to go across the road to my friend's aunt's house. It was 8pm so my friends parents told her and her 8yo sister to go to bed and they'd be back soon (yeah unsupervised kids etc etc). So the parents left and my friend fell asleep, and woke up to find her grandmother sitting on her bed smiling at her. When my friend's parents got home she told them Grandma came to visit. The parents freaked out, they'd gone to the aunt's house because the grandmother had died.

2) A relative of ours died when I was 7 and my sister 10yo. He wasn't close to us, but we all went to his house after church. Us kids were playing outside and my sister looked down the street and saw the deceased relative walking towards the house.

3) I was at work once in the server room, so imagine big fridge sized structures. As I turned around I saw what looked like a woman with a long brown dress disappear behind one of the server racks. One of those situations where your heart starts pounding. I walked around the racks and nobody was there. Freeeaky.

4) My friend, who is totally not nuts, saw her dead grandparents in her house and they smiled at her. Then their song came on the radio. Same friend (and her super sceptic husband) hear footsteps running up to their bedroom door often, they get up to check on their daughter thinking she's awake but she's always asleep.

5) My friend goes to a place that does energy healing kind of stuff. She was in a class of about 6 people and they had to stand in a circle facing outwards. Something to do with allowing the energy of some recently deceased people pass through (no idea if I have that right). Anyway they all had their eyes closed and my friend said someone pushed her so hard forward she almost fell. Then another woman in the group said "what the fizzle was that?" and another was freaked out.

6) When I was little, my mum had a dream that a woman was sitting on her bed and said to her "you will receive a cheque in the mail for $353.79". next week, mum got that exact same amount. But dream-woman also told my mum she would win $6.5million dollars. We're still waiting.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:37 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Karena wrote:
I looked down the hallway & it was as if I could see her there, walking along the hall towards me, except I couldn't see her with my eyes, it was as though I was seeing her with my mind's eye. But it wasn't as though I was imagining things, it was somehow external to me & involuntary, if you get what I mean.

I am so glad that you posted this, I had an extremely similar experience and I have been trying to think of how to describe it.

When my dad got together with my step-mother, she had an English Mastiff named Max, whom she had inherited from a previous partner who had died. He decided from the moment he met me that I was his new person. I took him everywhere with me, he slept with me (you haven’t slept properly until you’ve been spooned by an English mastiff), we were inseparable. I loved that dog more than anything I have ever loved. He was 225 pounds when he died; he was a very physically intimidating and fiercely protective dog, even though he was a giant doofy sweetheart. I am 6’1’’ tall, when he would sit next to me he would lean against me and his head would hit my hip bone.

A couple years after he had died I was in my kitchen and looked out the window to see my horse acting spooky (no pun intended). He looked terribly bothered by something. I walked out there to see what was going on and as I entered the corral I noticed that the neighbor’s pit bulls had broken through the fence and were harassing the horse (I know that most pit bulls are sweet dogs, these two were not, they killed 4 cats and 2 small dogs on their final rampage, after putting their owners son in the hospital). I stopped where I was and started to back out of the corral when they spotted me, started growling and charged me. I saw in my mind so to speak, exactly how Karena described it, Max standing at my side. He snarled and both pit bulls stopped in their tracks and immediately turned and ran back through the whole in the fence into the neighbor’s yard. He then sat and hit his head on my hip bone, I instinctively reached down to pet him but he wasn’t there. It all happened in an instant. I know that I didn’t imagine it, and there is no rational explanation for why the pit bulls stopped and ran. All I know is that if they hadn’t stopped I would have been seriously hurt.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:00 pm 
Inflexitarian

SpiceMiner, that is such a lovely story! It must be really comforting to know you still have Max at your side!

Here's another story courtesy of my sister... She told me this only a couple of weeks ago, a few days after it happened. She's a smoker & as smokers are, is really conscious of the dangers of falling asleep with a lit cig in her hand. But she was really tired & lay down on her bed during the day & accidentally dozed off whilst smoking. She was woken by someone lifting one of her feet & dropping it back on the bed a couple of times - except there was no one there. Lucky she got that warning because she'd dropped her cig on the bedclothes, which were already starting to smoulder. My mum thought it might be our uncle, who died a few years ago. He was a life-long smoker who was always nodding off with a cigar in his hand & burning holes in everything.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:04 am 
Chip Strong

I love it when this thread gets extra active this time of the year (but I wish it would stay active always!) I especially love the stories of people getting visited by their animal friends. As my BFF-cat, Pippi, gets older, I am getting so sad that she will only be around for a few more years at max. I love to think that she may come back to snuggle me at night sometimes.

Here is one for you:
Last summer my grandmother died of cancer. She had Alzheimer's too, which actually turned out to be a blessing because after a few days of being diagnosed with cancer she had totally forgotten about it. Her last few days were bad though. We set up a hospital bed in her living room and the family took shifts watching over her. She drifted in and out of consciousness and even when she was "awake" she wasn't really there.

My grandmother had always been obsessed with cardinals. They were here favorite birds, and she had them on everything– clothes, potholders, framed pictures, etc. It's also notable that my grandfather died about 10 years ago, in that same house.

On her last day, my mom and aunt were with her. All of a sudden, there was a large male cardinal flying back and forth in front of the plate glass window beside where my grandmother was sleeping. It flew back and forth for about 5 minutes, then landed on the railing of the porch, peering into the room. After a few moments, a female cardinal landed beside him, they touched beaks, and flew off together.

My grandmother died shortly after. Everyone in my family staunchly believes that the male cardinal was my grandfather showing up to take her away with him. And I have to admit, the strangeness of it and the coincidence of it happening just as my grandmother was taking her last few breaths is hard to ignore.

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:00 pm 
Impressive boner

takecare wrote:
I love it when this thread gets extra active this time of the year (but I wish it would stay active always!)

Me too, that's why I keep bumping it. Your story about the cardinals was lovely.

Sadly I have nothing new to add to the thread but I love reading all of your tales. Keep them coming! We've got 29 more days to go!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:42 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I had several experiences after a very special cat passed away. Still do, occasionally. I'll be sitting here at the computer and she'll walk by and rub up against my legs. I'll reach down to pet her or pick her up and put her in my lap, and of course she's not there. I check to see if it's one of the other cats, but they're sleeping or sitting in the kitchen window, nowhere near me.

One time, just a few days after she died, I saw her walking out of the bedroom. "Hi, Nefertiti," I said, not thinking anything of it. Then I realized hey, that can't be her, so I looked back and she was sitting there looking at me. I just stared at her kind of dumbfounded, and she ... faded, I guess. She was there very clearly, solid as can be, but then it just looked like a shape, a shadow, and then there was nothing. I kept looking at the spot, trying to see if it was just a trick of the light all along, if there was some kind of shape or shadow or something that looked sort of catlike, but no, there was nothing like that.

Nefertiti would always curl up with me at bedtime. So one night I had just gone to bed and was drifting off when I felt a cat jump up on the bed. Nothing unusual about that. The cat started kneading, so I thought it must be Baron. He does that. Then he curled up against me. I could feel him purring. I opened my eyes and reached down to pet him and say goodnight, but there was nothing there. So I said, "Oh! Night night, Titi," and lay back down. I could still feel the weight of her on the bed, pressed up against my leg as I was falling to sleep.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:41 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

takecare wrote:
After a few moments, a female cardinal landed beside him, they touched beaks, and flew off together. My grandmother died shortly after. Everyone in my family staunchly believes that the male cardinal was my grandfather showing up to take her away with him.

**sniff**

I just... I just have something in my eye!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:49 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
takecare wrote:
After a few moments, a female cardinal landed beside him, they touched beaks, and flew off together. My grandmother died shortly after. Everyone in my family staunchly believes that the male cardinal was my grandfather showing up to take her away with him.

**sniff**

Yeah me too. Allergies are bad over here right now too I guess.

So sweet!~

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:45 pm 
Chip Strong

lycophyte wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
takecare wrote:

**sniff**

So sweet!~

:)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:58 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Has anyone been watching The Haunted on Animal Planet? It's on Netflix, too. It's ridiculous, it's scary haunting stories and footage of paranormal teams investigating, but because it's on AP they throw in a few references to household pets getting really spooked. That said, I love it and I'm going to watch some right now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:23 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I saw this today and thought of this thread...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:54 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Best. Thread. Ever! I won't sleep a wink tonight!

About five years ago now, my boyfriend and I lived in a tiny box of an apartment in Montreal. His dad helped us move in and so stayed for the first couple of nights. The first night that we were on our own, my boyfriend started screaming in his sleep. He woke up and told me that he dreamt about a demon, he said it was the most frightening thing he'd ever seen in his life.

Apart from that, things started out relatively normal but gradually became creepier and creepier the longer we lived there. The first creepy thing was that there was a strange smell in one of the cupboards. It smelt terrible like something had died in there and no matter how much I cleaned it, the smell just wouldn't go away. I didn't think anything of it at the time though, just thought that maybe there was a mouse in the wall or something.

But then things got weirder. Our apartment building was in a U shape with a courtyard in the centre and everyday, at around the same time, I could hear a woman screaming at the other side of the apartment block. I thought I was hearing things but one day when it was happening, I called my boyfriend over and he could hear it too.

Because our apartment was so small, my boyfriend made four huge bed posts to raise our bed 6' off the ground and we had the living room area underneath. One night, he woke me up asking, 'What's that ticking noise?' I was half asleep at the time and told him that it was probably just my watch and to go back to sleep. He said he couldn't and that he was going to try to sleep on the couch under the bed. When I woke up fully I realised that it couldn't have been my watch as it has a silent ticker but I couldn't hear anything anyway so went back to sleep. Later on, I woke up as someone was drumming a distinct rhythm on the wall next to me and one of the bed posts. I freaked out and looked down to see if it was my boyfriend but he was fast asleep on the couch. I went down, woke him up and told him that I thought the place was haunted. He dismissed me and told me to go back to sleep but right at that moment, I saw the main corridor light which shines out onto the balcony switch on and off. It was always on.

Things got stranger from there, strange smells, hearing someone walk around the apartment at night and rummaging through my boyfriend's old milk crates that he used to use for storage. I was convinced that the place was haunted but my boyfriend remained sceptical, that was until one morning when we were still in bed and the macbook switched itself on. It even made the distinctive 'duuurrr' sound so I knew it wasn't just on sleep mode. We freaked out and my boyfriend just sat there in shock staring at the laptop. It has never done that before or since.

Then one night I was in the bath and the conditioner bottle flew off the shelf and hit the door. It was after that incident that I told the super of our building about it. I thought that he would think I was nuts but he said, 'yeah, I can see it' and then told us that about a year previous, one of the tenants above us had a complete breakdown and he and our landlord had to call the emergency services to cart her off to the psych ward. I asked him about the woman screaming and he said that he had never heard it and nobody else had mentioned it either.

During the period that we lived there was the darkest time in our relationship. We are constantly arguing and my boyfriend had a lot of emotional problems. I really do think that whatever dark force was there latched on to that and gained some sort of energy from it. Despite our love for Montreal, we were glad to leave that place.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:36 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

lycophyte wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
takecare wrote:

**sniff**

So sweet!~

Yeah, seriously. That is the sweetest story!

I love reading all of the animal stories. I just (a few minutes ago) had a weird animal-related experience. I was at the kitchen sink, filling my bunny's water bottle. I saw movement out of the corner of my eye and it startled me, so I whipped my head around to look. I saw Sable standing right next to my leg. I thought "Oh, it's just Sable!" and went back to filling the water bottle. Then a split second later, went "Wait a minute... Sable?!" I turned back around, but she was gone. I swear I saw her. I wasn't even thinking about her at the moment, I was thinking about how I was almost out of lettuce for my rabbit. My dad's dog isn't home, I am home alone, and was actually feeling a bit lonely. I guess I don't feel so alone now...

And I don't remember if I ever told this one, but several years back, we had some sort of invisible cat at the shelter. I would feel him head butt and rub against my legs while I was preparing food in the back cat room. It happened 2 or 3 times, and there was nothing (visible) there, and all of the cats were locked in their cages. We had an elderly cat who passed away in the shelter who used to head butt my legs like that, so I always wondered if it was him somehow. I'm usually pretty skeptical, but it's hard to write stuff off when you experience it directly.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:32 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I was doing some research at the reference library yesterday. One wall has a bank of windows that overlook a forest area and park with a playground. It was later in the afternoon and I was the only one in the reference area of the building. I was sitting beside a window but my focus was on the archives, not the view.

Suddenly there was a very loud 'knock-knock' at the window right beside my table; I jumped up - as in 3 feet up - and looked out the window. Nothing was there but when I looked further outside the window into the playground area, I could see two little girls at the swings. They had been twisting the swings together to play and one of them was stuck. I called the site emergency assistance while zooming out to help. Both girls were ok but understandably shaken up. Their parents were in the library and were on the playground within minutes too.

The reference library is on the 3rd floor. Who or what was able to knock 3 stories up from outside and knew that I was the only person sitting at the bank of windows? The library staff think it was a bird. There is no ledge for birds to sit on and there is no way a bird tapping on a window would be that loud – twice over. It definitely wasn’t a bird – it was something else….

Even more freaky…. this isn’t the first time I’ve experienced the ‘knock-knock’ alert and it has only happened when some one needed help.

I have to go back to the library to work in half an hour. Hopefully my goosebumps will be gone by then.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:02 am 
Seagull of the PPK

god i love libraries and librarians and library-types. even the ghosts are benevolent.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:51 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

torque wrote:
god i love libraries and librarians and library-types. even the ghosts are benevolent.

The opening scene of "Ghostbusters" just came to mind....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:56 am 
WRETCHED

Has anyone else ever seen this site? It is a webcam set up in a library
http://libraryghost.com/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:39 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

linanil wrote:

Very cool link !

I had a quiet day at the library on Saturday - thankfully.

Had the opportunity to chat with senior library volunteers who have been working at the library for decades and the knock-knock alert system has been going on since they started at the library.

Last week one of the volunteers was going to make tea in the lunchroom but got distracted and plugged in the kettle without putting in water and then sat down to wait for it to boil. There was a knock-knock on the cupboard above the kettle and when she looked up she could see steam coming out of the base of the kettle and jumped up to unplug it.

The library should get a reduction in their insurance rates because clearly some one or something is on watch.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:05 am 
Inflexitarian

Yay, Jezebel is doing its scary story thing again for halloween this year! http://jezebel.com/5954899/tell-us-your ... ng-stories

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:05 am 
Chip Strong

linanil wrote:

Ooh, I remember when Ghost Hunters filmed at this library. I don't remember if they found any evidence though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:52 am 
Chip Strong

takecare wrote:
linanil wrote:

Ooh, I remember when Ghost Hunters filmed at this library. I don't remember if they found any evidence though.

I just re-watched it. TAPS didn't find anything at Willard Library, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:17 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Bumping this thread for 2013 halloween fun times! I just watched a (totally fake) ghost video that someone shared on FB and it made me think of this.

I can't remember if I shared this story already in this thread - so forgive me if I'm repeating myself. It's the only experience I've had where I really feel that something paranormal might have happened.

Back when I was in middle school my friends and I went through an ouija board phase. One of our parents must have bought it for us thinking it was harmless. This was also a time before cell phones, but when most people had decent cordless phones in their houses. We were at my friend's house and were the only ones home. For some reason we had the cordless phone with us and it had a paging function that would let it work like a walkie-talkie type thing with the base/answering machine in the kitchen.

So we are in the living room and are playing with the ouija board. I can't remember if we had the phone walkie talkie on or not, but the handset was with us. Someone asked if there was a spirit or whatever in the room with us at the time and as the ouija board indicator thing hit the "YES" a bunch of static erupted from the speaker that was on the phone's home unit. Of course, we jumped and the noise stopped as soon as we took our hands off the ouija board. We couldn't get it to happen again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:27 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

YES! I hope torque has more amazing/terrifying tales to tell. I love this thread! So happy it's time for it to riiiiise from the graaaave oooooooh!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next