| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sweet moments with your kids (The anti-venting zone)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:36 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Oh, mittenmacher! I am dying of cute!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:02 am 
Seagull of the PPK

I am here mostly to praise myself. But there is no TRIUMPH!! thread so i will do it here. I may also put it in the BEST thread as well.

FC's school called me yesterday morning while I was at work with a client. Of course, I answered it, since the school so rarely calls me and it might be an emergency. It's the coordinator, saying that FC has not turned in a homework assignment and they are calling the parents from now on when the kids neglect to do their work. As a former teacher I have this vision of how desperate and POd the teacher has to be to waste time calling parents, and I think oh crepe. I hang up, finish my consult, and leave. Then call my partner and tell him how I am going to rip off everyone's head when I get home, etc etc. Then I think, no, I will go running, so I do. I feel a lot better, and finish my day. Go to the shop, where FC is quivering expecting to get incinerated by my verbal flamethrower.
Instead of murder, I sit her down like I would a client and ask her what it is she needs to be a better student that we're not giving her. We decide that for her to finish the last quarter the best possible, she will not have internet access for a month, and will not go to the next cosplay event. She was really relieved, to the point of crying, and seemed to really understand why I was upset, why the teacher was upset, and why she needs to get her act together.

I was more proud of myself. My anger issues still creep back from time to time and yesterday I could have really turned into the Falling Down type of character if I hadn't burned off some of my stress before meeting her. Thank goodness I went back to the gym recently, and thank goodness I can still run. It really, really changes my perspective. Most of the time I think I'm a difficult parent, to say the least, but yesterday was a good day.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:51 am 
And you never will.

Wow torque, that is amazing! You should be proud of yourself, I'm proud of you too! You're a real inspiration, and I'm going to remember that in future when I'm having a difficult time as a parent.

My sweet moment is the other night after poopiebaby said goodnight to his daddy, I was carrying him back to his room and he gave me a hug and said "friend". I said "who is your friend?" and he said "mummy Peter's friend!" and then he patted my back. I melted a little.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:03 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Earlier today Z and I were cuddling. He was really sleepy and was nursing, so he drifted off and fell asleep. Then he smiled and giggled a bit and just kept on sleeping. My heart. It's melted.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:08 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oh, sleeping laughs are the best!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:27 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

we haven't heard from this thread in a while, have we? time to bring it back.

i am just coming in to say that i brought my kid to a dinner party type thing and it was so nice to have her join the conversation like an adult. When we got there our hostess said "do you want me to turn on the TV for you?" she said "no, thank you" and was happy to stay and talk with the grownups.
There have been times when i've wondered if she would ever say "no" to TV, and apparently we have a documented "no" today.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That's awesome torque!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Shae was accepted into all 4 advanced academic high school programs he applied for!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:11 pm 
And you never will.

Go Shae! That's incredible!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:14 pm 
And you never will.

My sweet thing is that Peter was all snuggly with me this morning before we got out of bed, and he suddenly grabbed my face and pulled it toward him, gave me a big kiss, and said "mummy, you my best friend" - I don't even know where he got the idea of best friends (although I'm guessing it's from Thomas the Tank Engine), but it was so sweet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:43 pm 
Semen Strong

Wow! Go Shae!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:13 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

We had to stop driving our second car, which means Henry and I have to take the bus to school/work. After a disasterous attempt taking the stroller on the bus, I realized I'd have to figure out how to get him in a backcarry in the Ergo and take him that way. My anti-vent is that he has been a total sweetheart everytime we've taken the bus this week, even though it's about a 45 minute trip with him strapped to my back.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:22 pm 

Oh, that's so sweet, bap! The bus can be such a pain. I do like how strangers help a bit by interacting with the baby (smiling, waving, etc) when I'm trying to hold a hundred bags with her strapped on.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:45 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Butternut wrote:
Oh, that's so sweet, bap! The bus can be such a pain. I do like how strangers help a bit by interacting with the baby (smiling, waving, etc) when I'm trying to hold a hundred bags with her strapped on.

You are so lucky. I feel like half the time I go out with a baby in a carrier, somebody says, "you're gonnae break it's neck!"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:19 am 
Not NOT A Furry

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
Butternut wrote:

You are so lucky. I feel like half the time I go out with a baby in a carrier, somebody says, "you're gonnae break it's neck!"

Luckily (?) we take the bus at the same time as the middle/high school kids, so they keep him amused for a lot of the ride.
The only comment I've heard so far was someone shouting "cute backpack!" as they zipped by on a bike!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:26 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Even though the 3 babes and I are sick since yesterday, everyone was happy to wake up this morning (one now at 8:30, 2 others at 7:30=strange). The youngest (20 mos) just gave a big hug and kiss to his brother (4) who just woke up. The babe is always so happy to see his siblings when they wake up. Then the 4 y/o just went and gave his 5 y/o sister a hug. Awww.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:14 am 
Semen Strong

We went to a storytime with a rescued duck and Flemish Giant bunny, which was awesome. L was way younger than the other kids (3 to 5), but they included her as best they could, and she was so happy. They took all the kids uo at one point to make an animal sound, and L's was "the sheep says Baaaaah!" So all the other little kids said "Baaaaaah" for her. Then she sat on my lap and proceeded to say "Baaaaaah! Baaaaaah!" With this excited grin on her face. It was amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:59 am 

I want to go to that story time! That sounds so sweet.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:26 pm 
Semen Strong

It was amazing! Its at an Early Childhood Development Center run by a woman we know who does duck and rabbit rescue, so she is great with the animals, and you can tell how happy and safe they feel, even with lots of children around. The kids are super-gentle with them too, and you can just see how much they love the animals. They take turns feeding and caring for them.

The duck, Fred, was actually hatched at the center, and so she (they discovered that she was a female when they found an egg in her diaper - yes its a duck in a diaper!) imprinted on the children and their voices and thinks she is a pre-schooler. Its so cute, because she imprinted most on the naughtiest little boy, because he spent the most time in the principal's office, so she heard his voice through her shell as she was developing, which is amazing. Fred loves hugs, so she would chatter and waddle around and then go to the principal and ask for a hug, which means that she would just relax completely into the principal's arms and drape over her shoulder. She was so soft and fluffy too - weighs only 7lbs but looks 3 times bigger than a mallard. We got to pet her! Oh and she liked to fake fly around the room. Domestic ducks can't fly, so she likes to flap her wings and quack and have the principal (to whom she is superbonded) run around the room holding her like she was flying.

And the bunny. Oh the bunny! Her name is Hope and she weighs 25lbs and Leela was sure she was a dog. She hopped around looking to be petted. She was so soft and so beautiful. Leela was obsessed with her.

I want to send my kid there, even though it is completely inconvenient, because we'll get to hang out with a duck and bunny!

I've never really cared so much about ducks or bunnies, but learning about them today and seeing how much personality they have made me just crazy about them. I felt that way about chickens, until I heard Karen Davis of UPC speak and then got to hug a chicken, which is also amazing. I feel so vegan right now!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:50 am 
Bathes in Braggs

that is awesome, t'lish!!

tzipi has been completely delightful for the past two weeks. haha, i'm nervously waiting for the other shoe to drop, but she really has been a ton of fun lately, and really mature acting too. it feels like all the hard work we've done with enforcing boundaries and acceptable behavior is paying off right now. and oddly, she's been a little under the weather for the last couple days, but instead of being crazy and whiny and clingy like normal, she is just being a little bit quieter and kind of cute (mama, i no feel too good. i need to go to bed now).

we went to the butterflies exhibit at the botanical garden (me, lydia and her) on friday and she was so awesome. it was super mega busy and lydia was super mega fussy. it should have been a disaster, but she stayed with me, listened, didn't climb or touch anything she wasn't supposed to, was helpful! and then the two of them took an epic nap in the back of the car while i drove through the starbucks drive through and had a soy latte while reading on my phone.

and she got promoted to the next swim level after only 10 weeks! she will be starting the big kid lessons, which means i can take her during the week with lydia, because i don't have to get in with her.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:12 pm 
***LIES!!!***

T'lish, that is so awesome. I really wish we could've gone, but Saturday. Malka super loves ducks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:03 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Putting Malka to bed tonight, she's curled up on her side looking nearly asleep and says "Mom.....Mom" "Yes, baby?" "Hug!" and then she pulls my arm toward her and hugs it. Adorable. Unfortunately then she was completely awake and got super hyper.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:59 am 
***LIES!!!***

Oh my God, has my baby been invaded by body snatchers? This morning she woke up next to me (after moving into our bed in the middle of the night), climbed on top of me, and gave me a full body squish and cuddle for like 10 full minutes. Even after my husband brought her bottle in, she didn't want to get off of me to drink it and twisted herself into a cobra pose to be able to drink. So freaking adorable.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:45 pm 

Oh, baby-initiated cuddles are the best!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:09 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Ada started saying "I love you" clearly. I have been waiting forever for this :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next