| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:01 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Mack the Spork - that happened to me too once. The chocolate part spread all over the place. I'm not 100% sure what happened, I'm thinking it was because my oven wasn't heating properly and the oven was too hot for them too quick.

I had one really epic fail with a bad batch of flour, the chocolate cookie dough was too dry and crumbled up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:10 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

That's happened to me with the PB pillows, too! For some reason, I find that there's too much oil in the recipe and when I use less they don't spread like that. Also, refrigerating the dough before assembling the cookies helps.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:01 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks! I'll try fridging them next time, too. I think I've mostly decided that recipe says 1/2c oil = use 1/3c oil, at least in the summer. (it was pretty hot in my kitchen, so maybe that was part of it?)

I counteracted their delicious-yet-ugliness with PERFECT, BEAUTIFUL mexican hot chocolate snickerdoodles. *grin*

And there was much rejoicing. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

I'm glad I made those either way. They're good to bring to parties because people eat them & then go "WHAT ARE THESE, I CAN'T EVEN! WHAT!" which is always fun.

I love those delusional first few minutes of the day where I grossly underestimate my love of sleep. -lurky mclurkerson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:16 pm 
Nailed to the V

^^ Those snickerdoodles are evil!!!! I had to walk 13 miles today to pay for the ridiculous quantity of those cookies that I ate last night. Evil Evil Evil.....but super delicious.

I made two batches: I was followling the recipe with the addition of choc chips and the other I ran out of stuff so I had to sub weird stuff like Garam Masala instead of cinnamon and orange juice concentrate instead of maple syrup....they were really good (cut the sugar and oil down to make them almost savory).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:19 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made Pretzel Apple Cookies (nixing the peanuts) and Cowboy Cookies!

With the Pretzel Apple - I LOVE them. I kind of wish though some of that a lot of cookie recipes mentioned when taken out from the oven that some cookies will still look underdone and will harden when cool. (I made gingersnaps last week, and I was freaking out that my oven had died or something).

I've made Cowgirl cookies (may i eventually find vegan white chips in Calgary), already and one of my favourite cookies hands down. I'm certain cowboy will be too. (I was GOING to add raisins (why not?) but I didn't feel like it at the end of the day.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:33 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the Chocolate Chip Chai Spice Shortbread for the first time yesterday, but without the chocolate, so I guess it's just Chai Spice Shortbread. They turned out great, chai-y and buttery and not too sweet. Although I can imagine that they’d be pretty darn good with the chocolate as well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The Citrus Glitters are amazing. I'm usually a person who thinks cookies suck if there are no chocolate chips, but I freaking LOVED those Citrus Glitters. When we were nearing the batch I would get mad if my husband ate one because I wanted them all for myself.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:02 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I finally caved and bought this book so I can give cookies for gifts! I think I now own every single Isa and/or Terry book.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:29 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Sell Your Soul Pumpkin Cookies. So full.

They turned out really well and were pretty easy to make. Definitely had a great texture thanks to reducing the pumpkin at the beginning. They weren't really a crispy cookie or anything, but were more akin to the texture of like a soft chocolate chip cookie. Not cakey.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:49 pm 
Tofu Pup

I made the Caramel Pecan Bars today and they were delicious. I had a couple of problems though and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice.
First, the margarine in the filling separated and rose up to the top in some places and an unpleasant film developed as they cooled. Also, the filling soaked right through the crust either as they baked or as they cooled. In the places where this happened the filling stuck to the aluminum foil in spite of a liberal shot of nonstick cooking spray. Has this happened to anyone else? I used EarthBalance buttery sticks for the crust and Earth Balance original tub margarine for the filling. The only thing I did different from the recipe was I used light brown sugar with about 1 tbs of molasses in place of 1 tbs of the sugar because I didn't have dark brown sugar. This isn't a great photo but it shows the film of congealed margarine.

DSC_0042 by by Mixxie, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:53 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

the pumpkin pie brownies are pretty darn awesome

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:59 am 
Nailed to the V

I have to say, I made Allyson Kramer's butterscotch amaretti and I am just mystified that Isa/Terry didn't come up with a version their own (unless they did and I bypassed it because I am slow like that!)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:32 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

You can't make EVERY type of cookie for a book!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:55 am 
Nailed to the V

heee. imagine if you did. the most amazing cookie book eeeeeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvveeeeeer.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:26 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Has anyone tried the chocolate graham crackers? Thinking of making these for a gift, and they look like they would be easy to pack.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:46 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i've requested this book from the library. anyone have any suggestions for recipes i should make to blow all those vegan doubters out of the water by how freakin' awesome vegan cookies are? please do not suggest any with nuts as i am allergic to all nuts.

also, is there an errata list anywhere online??

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:37 am 
Nailed to the V

Cowboy/Girl Cookies (Nix the nuts)
Carrot Cake Chewies :D (nix the nuts)
Brownies...
the cookie dough recipe...
Graham Crackers :)

I am actually making carrot cookies this week. (again). I am tweaking:
A: soaking raisins in pineapple (to give it real carrot-cakeyness)
B: making the drizzle with pineapple juice and some cream cheese to have (you know, cream cheese frosting) :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I made the Espresso Brownies. I broke our 8x8 brownie pan and made them in a skillet and I burned myself in the process and they were still AWESOME! They weren't super coffee-y just very rich and delicious.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:28 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

So, I turned the City Girl Snickerdoodles into Eggnog Snickerdoodles by replacing the 2 tbsp milk with 1/4 cup of soy nog and 2 tbsp of rum, and adding 2 extra tbsp of flour to account for the extra liquid. They are SO GOOD. Make them now and share them with everyone you know who loves eggnog.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:47 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I am waiting for my copy to get here! Ordered it on payday. So excited. Any ingredients I should have on hand for when it shows up? Other than the obvious flour, chocolate chips, peanut butter, applesauce, spices, veg oil.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Mack the Spork wrote:
Thanks! I'll try fridging them next time, too. I think I've mostly decided that recipe says 1/2c oil = use 1/3c oil, at least in the summer. (it was pretty hot in my kitchen, so maybe that was part of it?)

I counteracted their delicious-yet-ugliness with PERFECT, BEAUTIFUL mexican hot chocolate snickerdoodles. *grin*

And there was much rejoicing. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

I'm glad I made those either way. They're good to bring to parties because people eat them & then go "WHAT ARE THESE, I CAN'T EVEN! WHAT!" which is always fun.

yum, are this the same recipe posted on the PPK blog?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:46 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I am sure it has been said before in this thread but given the time of year I would like to promote the roll and cut sugar cookies. The dough is so easy to work with and the cookies are delicious. I made a bunch of dogs and cats and kittens a few days ago and still have half the dough in the fridge to make more tomorrow.

I have a question about the gingerbread biscotti - I have made this twice and both times although the dough seemed to be the right texture the loaf was too moist. The top was browned, though, so I was thinking I would cook it for longer at a lower temperature. I always use an oven thermometer so I know the temp was right. Has anyone else had this problem? I would like to send some to my son.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

thanks, i need a new roll and cut sugar cookie recipe! my book has arrived at the library and i look forward to picking it up tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:41 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Arisaig wrote:
I am sure it has been said before in this thread but given the time of year I would like to promote the roll and cut sugar cookies. The dough is so easy to work with and the cookies are delicious. I made a bunch of dogs and cats and kittens a few days ago and still have half the dough in the fridge to make more tomorrow.

Thank you for the recommendation. I just bought some beautiful snowflake cookie cutters, and I was wondering what cookie dough to use. Usually I read about cookie doughs that are great for cutters, but no mention about the taste. I am not big on decorating though...would you recommend a plain white icing that will dry quickly and be thin, where I can sprinkle some big crystal sugar?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:49 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Angelina, there is a recipe for frosting in the book on the same page with the cookie recipe. As well, someone in another thread posted this recipe for royal icing that I bookmarked to try: http://www.grouprecipes.com/31155/vegan ... icing.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next