| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: The "Go away, Sandy" thread.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:03 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I know a lot of us are watching weather forecasts with a combination of dread and fascination.

Stay safe!

Hard to tell how impacted we will be since we are a bit further out from DC. We stand a very large chance of losing power though--nothing but trees out here.

We have water and tortilla chips.

Post subject: Re: The "Go away, Sandy" thread.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:06 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I have sky news on waiting for updates already. I have a feeling I won't be sleeping much tonight worrying about everyone.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:06 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i just posted in the weather thread but i dont expect it to be horrible here in Central MA but i readied a bunch of pet-evacuation stuff just in case.

the humans are screwed. i havent done much for the humans.
im baking a pie and we have cookies and vegs and dip

i have a slow cooker going so i would like the power to stay on for another 6 hours which shouldnt be a problem here.

stay safe ppk!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:07 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I want pie now. I wonder if I have ingredients for a pumpkin pie.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:07 pm 
Semen Strong

Hello Halloween Candy. Meet Sandy.

When good hurricanes go bad.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:15 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Except, when it was "good" it killed dozens of people in Cuba, Jamaica, and Haiti.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:18 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

My rehearsal got cancelled, but the meeting to which I did not want to go is not cancelled. I'm still not going to the meeting.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:20 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Please don't forget to check in when you can, Sandylanders - so we know you're ok. We're thinking of you.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:21 pm 
Semen Strong

lavawitch wrote:
Except, when it was "good" it killed dozens of people in Cuba, Jamaica, and Haiti.

That was the issue I had with the graphic as well. But I still thought it was a cute idea. Mods, please feel free to delete.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:24 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yeah, cute idea, BUT.

That is one issue also with the storm coverage. It's already been really bad, especially in Cuba, but that is all lost in the near hysteria of east coast coverage.

Not that I can really fault the media--this is Really Bad News for the east coast and could be exceedingly dangerous if people aren't prepared, but that still isn't the entire story.

Of course, Cuba doesn't exactly help given that they lock media down so much.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:26 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

DC area: this is my favorite weather news source

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/cap ... ather-gang

They interpret all the models themselves and are expert in local weather. Good stuff. They also wade through all the hysteria and cut though the bull shiitake.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:29 pm 
Semen Strong

The Atlantic had a good article: http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/a ... es/264198/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:37 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

We are stocked up on tp and crackers here. Will probably lose power at some point and will have hurricane conditions tonight but not nearly as bad as up north. Be safe northern folk!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:42 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

This might be a good time to point out that forecasting Sandy is hindered by the fact that NOAA lost a large chunk of its budget and are relying heavily on EUROPEAN weather satellites.

NOAA is one of those useless little government agencies that the general public underestimates, along with the USGS and NASA.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:51 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

School and one of my jobs have been closed for the next two days--still waiting to hear about the second job, but since it's a daycare I'm sure it'll be closed too. Either way, I'm not leaving the house.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:53 pm 
protein lump

i am starting to get a wee bit nervous. just because we're expecting such sustained winds and rain. that and all the leaves still on the trees is going to be mean a lot of downed trees/telephone poles and stuff like that. we're on the tropical storm path, but our forecast so far is calling for rain through thursday and possible power outages into next week. urgh. i really hope we don't lose power or, if we do, that it won't be for too long. our stove is gas, so we can still cook, but still. urgh.

my mom is in asbury park and they haven't been evacuated yet. i guess they told everyone within 1/4 mi of the beach to get out, but they're 3/4 of a mile. so. i'm most worried about my dad further inland in jersey. they have tons of trees and it seems like they've all been coming down in storms lately and he's been losing power for weeks at a time. they lost several trees with the storm this time last year and didn't have power for almost a month. blarg.

we're heading out in a bit to get more tp and go see if the providence hurricane barriers are closed yet. fun fact: the RI governor was giving a press conference this morning and admitted the government doesn't know where all the water outside the hurricane barrier is going to go since they've never had this big of a storm with the barriers before. yay!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:57 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

People in NYC (at least in my hood) are still out and about and acting like crassholes in the stores. They're completely shutting down the subway/bus system tonight. There has been a mandatory evacuation ordered for people in certain areas of the city (mostly near the water). We don't live in one of the mandatory evacuation zones, but we live like a block away from one, so I think it's reasonable that I am worried about flooding.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

esme wrote:
fun fact: the RI governor was giving a press conference this morning and admitted the government doesn't know where all the water outside the hurricane barrier is going to go since they've never had this big of a storm with the barriers before. yay!

File that under "things you don't say if you don't want people to freak out."

The wind is picking up out here. My dad reminded me not to park near any trees if I could help it, so I parked on the other side of the lot. Then I noticed I was next to a pole. I thought, "what are the odds of this pole coming down?" and then decided to tap it to see how sturdy it was. It moved. So did my car. It's times like this I really wish I had a garage.

I'm about to take a nap. I fully expect shiitake to be under way when I wake up. I think I'm pretty prepared. I've got my food and water. I brought everything in from the porch. Everything that takes a charge is charging. I even downloaded a bunch of podcasts to listen to if the power goes out.

I'm waiting on one thing, though: the cancellation notice from the school I work at. It's a private school. I have no idea what they're waiting on, though. From what I understand, the city it's in is under a state of emergency.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:26 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Bad news - My home is surrounded by trees.
Good news - My home is a basement apartment on the only bit of high ground in my town.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:35 pm 
WRETCHED

People in the stores here aren't in a panic, it is pretty normal so far. Local colleges have announced cancellations for Monday and Tuesday. My husband plans to go to work tomorrow but we'll see. I'm staying home although I have a doctors appointment which I'm going to try to reschedule.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:50 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Vacation! I don't work until Thursday.

Of course, no power would remove the exclamation and replace it with a sad face.

I'm going to go wash my favorite fuzzy blanket.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:53 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Vacation! I don't work until Thursday.

Of course, no power would remove the exclamation and replace it with a sad face.

I'm going to go wash my favorite fuzzy blanket.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:49 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Stay safe, everyone! I think us here in this part of Ontario is supposed to be okay, but I know other parts of the province + Quebec are bracing for some heavy rain and winds, but still it'll be nothing compared to what you guys are supposed to have.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:01 pm 
Semen Strong

My partner can't go out, so he is entertaining our wee one. I'm nervous about keeping all that toddler energy in one place for 3 days. Normally we go out every day for about 4 hours...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:01 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I made muffins and bread and filled some water bottles/jars . I'm in a basement apartment and have only lived in it for two months, so we'll see how that goes. Not sure what I'll do if it starts flooding! The rental company is very very responsive however, so that gives me hope that we'd figure it out. So far word is that we still have work tomorrow, though, so blegh. (And I work RIGHT on the water too) I'll probably be taking the T to work and if the MBTA shuts down I'm not going to work, sorry boss. Only other ways are taxi (yeah right) or bike and if it's bad enough for the T to shut down (which doesn't shut down in blizzards), you ain't getting me out there on a bike.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next