| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13663 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 547  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:59 am 
Grandfathered In

Omnis are so precious about their cheese.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:02 am 
Semen Strong

creep wrote:
his boyfriend went out and bought dairy cheese to put on his. Rude, or am I over-sensitive?

I think its like bringing a giant bottle of hot sauce to someone's home and dumping it on your food before tasting it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:28 am 
Tofu Pup

My MIL - "I don't know why you are choosing to be so difficult- You CAN eat meat you know!"

I became Vegan for health reasons. I AM 100% for the ethical treatment of animals. But-I won't lie about, or apologize for, why I made this lifestyle change.
Organically, Me

Why did the tofu cross the road?
To prove he wasn't chicken.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:39 am 
Flounceiad 2011

FootFace wrote:
Omnis are so precious about their cheese.
This.
Tofulish wrote:
creep wrote:
his boyfriend went out and bought dairy cheese to put on his. Rude, or am I over-sensitive?
I think its like bringing a giant bottle of hot sauce to someone's home and dumping it on your food before tasting it.
And this: I think it's really rude (and kind of pathetic) that a houseguest would feel incapable of ingesting one meal devoid of animal products, when someone has been kind enough to open their home and cook for them. In your position, I'd be sorely tempted to tell him to take his stupid cheese and go back to the rock under which he was apparently raised.
creep wrote:
Roommate's boyfriend has been here all weekend. He's kind of rude and obnoxious.
In other news, I totally read that second line as "He's kind of nude and obnoxious," and was like, "Whoa, okay then."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've pretty much been feeding him all weekend, because I'm cooking anyway, and it's hard to be like "No you can't have any!" when someone is staying in your house. I guess he was having cheese withdrawals.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:37 pm 
Grandfathered In

You know how everyone accuses vegans of acting like entitled pricks burdened by first-world problems?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:16 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

FootFace wrote:
You know how everyone accuses vegans of acting like entitled pricks burdened by first-world problems?
My usual response to that is "Yes, but that's where we live...".

When one no longer worries about dying of dysentery or having your children sent down a diamond mine as slaves, you're allowed to worry about other things.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Desdemona wrote:
creep wrote:
Roommate's boyfriend has been here all weekend. He's kind of rude and obnoxious.
In other news, I totally read that second line as "He's kind of nude and obnoxious," and was like, "Whoa, okay then."

Haha, this reminds me one time when my [now-ex-]boyfriend was sitting on our couch in his undies and my roommate came home *awkward turtle* (I had thought she was out for the night and wouldn't be home until the next day, so I told him it was fine to sit around almost naked). He was fairly obnoxious and basically nude, so could aptly be described by roomie as nude and obnoxious.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:39 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Tofulish wrote:
creep wrote:

Yes, I would think it is rude, but would not say anything, then come on the forum and bisque about it. haha. (if it was meat, I would definitly say something though)

And yes I hate it when I have people over, and dump hot sauce or something all over my food. I had someone staying at my place (an old friend of my fiancee's) and he requested that I make risotto, which is kind of time consuming after a full day or work gym. We ate at like 10pm and dumped all this sirracha on it, that he has specifically bought that day just to put on my risotto.. Like half a bottle.Fancy, expensive risotto that I spend like $15 on ingredients (special mushrooms and truffle oil) and spent close to an hour making. Really dude? if you were going to do that, I would have made fakey risotto in the oven or pressure cooker with the crimini's I already had in the fridge.

This was another situation where I thought he was being rude, but I didn't say anything. I thought it would have been more rude, as the cook/hostess, to question his condiment choices.

And yes, I love sirracha, just like we all do, but believe me it does NOT go well with on a mushroom risotto. I did try it, at his insistance of how awesome it was. It was not.

(Along these same lines, back when I ate meat, I would get upset at my partner to dumping A1 on the filet I would buy and cook for us. Really dude? next time you are getting the cheap shiitake if you are going to do that)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yeah, I definitely didn't say anything. Just to you guys... and maybe passive aggressively to my roommate after he left the room.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:28 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

My mom thinks I force the boyfriend to be vegan (he is vegan 95% to 100% of the time) because we no longer go over for BBQs or I told her that he does not need a candy apple...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:45 pm 
Chip Strong

lilyyw wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
creep wrote:

Haha, this reminds me one time when my [now-ex-]boyfriend was sitting on our couch in his undies and my roommate came home *awkward turtle* (I had thought she was out for the night and wouldn't be home until the next day, so I told him it was fine to sit around almost naked). He was fairly obnoxious and basically nude, so could aptly be described by roomie as nude and obnoxious.

The second or so week after I had moved in with my current roommates, I walked in to find them and a few of their friends completely topless. I wasn't bothered by it, but it was an interesting way to get to know each other.

Anyway, dumping cheese or salt or hot sauce on things without tasting it is one of my biggest pet peeves, not just as a vegan, but as someone who likes food. I understand that people have different tastes, so if you try something and decide that you want a bit more salt or pepper on yours, fine. But I seasoned and flavored this meal this way for a reason, so at least try some of it so that you can see what I intended it to taste like. I worked hard on this. If you're just going to pour cheese on it without tasting it, I'm not cooking for you anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:44 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Purebred animals vs. mutts? Do any of these people realize that shelters are full of ALL KINDS OF ANIMALS, purebred AND mutts. Craziness. And I thought life as a vegan was a bit dicey when people ask me if I eat chicken? Of course, I don't know exactly what tree they think it grows on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:58 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Yeah, on the purebred/mutts thing: we hung out with some of my partner's family recently, and his sister has a purebred dog. She's upset because it probably won't grow any more because it has a heart problem that is likely genetic. First off, what the fizzle? Secondly, the dog is a medium sized dog now and they live in an apartment. It just seems like a larger dog would not do all that well in a fifth•floor apartment where it has to pee on the balcony (which seems crappy and inconsiderate to me, but what do I know. Also, it's a pretty swanky building they haven't lived in that long, so I'd imagine the neighbors would complain or something?)
Plus there was talk of "will the breeder refund you/replace the dog/give you another dog?" I didn't say anything but, holy shiitake, this is the sort of attitude that encourages breeders to kill "defective animals."
Meanwhile, the dog seems healthy, active and more or less well adjusted.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:38 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

creep wrote:
Roommate's boyfriend has been here all weekend. He's kind of rude and obnoxious. We never made any rules about having animal products in the house, but roommate knows it makes us uncomfortable, so he doesn't buy that stuff, unless it's like take-out from a restaurant on occasion. So last night I made everyone vegan chili dogs, and his boyfriend went out and bought dairy cheese to put on his. We already had daiya. Rude, or am I over-sensitive? I'm already annoyed that there are eggs and cheese in the fridge, but putting it on a vegan meal that a vegan made you in their own home just feels like blatant disrespect.

If it is someone visiting who doesn't know you prefer to not have animal products in the house and you don't have any rules about it, I wouldn't find it that rude. He may just not know. If it bothers you, talk to him about it so he is aware.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

pandacookie wrote:
creep wrote:
Roommate's boyfriend has been here all weekend. He's kind of rude and obnoxious. We never made any rules about having animal products in the house, but roommate knows it makes us uncomfortable, so he doesn't buy that stuff, unless it's like take-out from a restaurant on occasion. So last night I made everyone vegan chili dogs, and his boyfriend went out and bought dairy cheese to put on his. We already had daiya. Rude, or am I over-sensitive? I'm already annoyed that there are eggs and cheese in the fridge, but putting it on a vegan meal that a vegan made you in their own home just feels like blatant disrespect.

If it is someone visiting who doesn't know you prefer to not have animal products in the house and you don't have any rules about it, I wouldn't find it that rude. He may just not know. If it bothers you, talk to him about it so he is aware.

I don't want to be a food nazi and ask them not to have the stuff in the house, even if it makes me uncomfortable. I guess I felt like putting it on food that I cooked was stepping over the line though. He does know we're vegan for ethical reasons.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:02 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's kind of rude to dump hot sauce on something before you even taste it, when you're a guest for a meal. :\

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:15 pm 
Semen Strong

The case of Bill and Lou is so sad. And coverage is making it sound like vegans and vegetarians are all chomping at the bit to get a bite of their humanely raised corpses. The college does make the good point that its a bit hypocritical to be fighting the slaughter of 2 ox that you know, while eating thousands of other unnamed cows.

Quote:
POULTNEY, Vt. — Just past the village here is the farm at Green Mountain College, where chickens roam free and solar panels heat a greenhouse. The idea of sustainability runs so deep that instead of machines fueled by diesel, a pair of working oxen have tilled the fields for the better part of a decade, a rare evocation of a New England agricultural tradition.Their names are Bill and Lou, and by the end of the month, they are to be slaughtered and turned into hamburger meat for the dining hall.

Last July, Lou stepped into a woodchuck hole and worsened an injury in his left rear leg, which in combination with other medical problems has rendered him unable to work. His partner, Bill, is not injured, but he is aging too, and probably could not work without Lou.

Their fate has prompted a barrage of criticism from townspeople, animal rights supporters and tens of thousands of online petitioners, perplexing many at the college who say that using Bill and Lou for food is an appropriate, if awkward, execution of the school’s mission. “Our choice is either to eat the animals that we know have been cared for and lived good lives or serve the bodies of nameless animals we do not know,” said William Throop, the college’s provost, who specializes in environmental ethics.

On campus, support for their consumption is strong, even among the 30 percent of students who are vegan or vegetarian. “It’s about sustainability, and I’ve been a vegetarian for three years, but I’m excited to eat Bill and Lou,” said Lisa Wilson, a senior. “I eat meat when I know where it comes from.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/29/us/ox ... rmont.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:20 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

UGH TELL ME ABOUT IT. My best friend goes there and she is so awful about it all. I was talking to her about it and she is just like, "we are proud to eat local." LOL you eat at McDonalds!!!! The school is a total joke, clearly a marketing scheme. My friend pays $50,000 a year! There is no conversation at all about the lack of sustainability in local meat consumption. She posted an article about it her professor wrote in defense of it and I commented on it (his argument was that the most important thing was that the school "went against the grain" and that is more important than whether it was right or wrong..uh?) and her fellow classmates left the most violent and atrocious responses. Ugh I'm tearing up now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:43 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

missmuffcake wrote:
My mom thinks I force the boyfriend to be vegan (he is vegan 95% to 100% of the time) because we no longer go over for BBQs or I told her that he does not need a candy apple...

I understand being peeved about that, but I thought candy apples were vegan (I know the caramel ones usually aren't). . . ? Aren't they basically just sugar and dye and an apple?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:47 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

lilyyw wrote:

I understand being peeved about that, but I thought candy apples were vegan (I know the caramel ones usually aren't). . . ? Aren't they basically just sugar and dye and an apple?

Ya - I meant caramel...She was going to make candy apples to, went out to buy vegan safe food coloring but I told her I am not sure if we like them. Now she is going to make vegan caramel apples for us. I was never allowed one as a child (my mom thought we would pull our teeth out) so I am not even sure I like them...

I know I sound like a picky brat but my mom really drives me crazy with certain things like the candy apples. She thinks that if I say no I am being rude or it is one of my 'weird things'*...Truth be told I rather have her make me banana nut bread or something baked than candy apples...

*my mom and dad both blame anything wrong with me on having OCD. Embarrassed to not want to sit next to my dad in public and watch him drink/eat with his mouth open - well that is OCD. I only have two sets of gym clothes - that is OCD. :/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:09 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I never had candy apples or caramel apples either, and I'm a little afraid it'd pull my teeth out, if it makes you feel better, missmuffcake.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:38 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My sister was oddly sneaky this weekend. She would make something (frosting, cupcakes) and try to have me eat them without telling me what was in it. She did this with a caramel she made for the frosting, too. Then she'd be like, "Why aren't you eating them? Because it has egg/cream/etc?" And then be like, "Why don't you eat egg/cream/etc?" She knows why. Buh people.

And one of my mom's friends likes to bring up that she "grew up with meat and eggs and milk" and would never give them up. I never initiate this conversation, either- she just starts in on it. I must have a "Kick Me, I'm Vegan" sign on my back again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:02 pm 

My in laws, throughout the years that I have known them, make obnoxious comments that lead me to conclude that they think being vegan is likely to make one fat. My partner's mom and her sister have both on separate occasions told me that they think eating a vegan diet is too carb heavy. I could stand to lose a few pounds so this feels like a personal commentary on my weight, which is not welcome.

Why would you think it's okay to tell me I eat too many carbs? I don't tell you all the things I think about your diet. Leave me alone.

Last edited by Butternut on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:02 pm 

Already talked about on this thread, I'm sure but I had a colleague who asked if I was vegan when I said I had to read instructions for some dark chocolate hot chocolate mix that didn't have ingredients and I said yes he did the 'why' thing so when I mentioned the environmental part he went all 'local sustainable meat.'

...So I asked him if he ate all local sustainable meat all the time. He stalled and changed the subject and then walked away pretty quickly. Annoying but simultaneously entertaining. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13663 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 547  Next