| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The "Go away, Sandy" thread.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:45 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

choirqueer wrote:
One of my friends is freaking out right now because the LSAT people just announced that the release of the October scores will be delayed due to the storm.

well, if that's the worst thing that happens because of the storm that would be great!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was supposed to fly back to Portland tomorrow night from JFK and my return flight was rescheduled for Thursday night. It's been a long hiatus. I was hoping to give myself a few days of rest and spending time with my girlfriend before hopping on a bus to Seattle on Friday for work, but alas. I'm staying with my sister in Brooklyn and there's been a small parade (some religious thing?) and fireworks already tonight. We're pretty well stocked on groceries in and out of the fridge and her neighborhood (unlike the city, where grocery stores were nuttier than usual) is fairly functioning so far.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lavawitch wrote:
Gotta ask. Why do people always go buy TP during storms?

I buy that, in bulk, on sale or at Costco and stash it in the utility closet. It is something I only worry about buying every couple of months.

What gives?

I guess not everyone is as prepared and forward-thinking as you!

So, on the news, they keep emphasizing over and over about how the people who live on the coast NEED TO LEAVE NOW THIS IS A BIG DEAL but what about the poor reporters who they keep cutting to who are standing on the beach? I feel bad for them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:41 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I did my emergency shopping in Maine and got myself a AA battery-powered iPhone charger and 24 batteries. I still have my makeshift taper candle holders (read: suction cup towel holder things that fit the candles perfectly) from Irene last year. My boyfriend got wine, cat food, TP, and bagels? We're bad at this. Or really, really good at this.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:45 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

starrynight87 wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
Gotta ask. Why do people always go buy TP during storms?

I buy that, in bulk, on sale or at Costco and stash it in the utility closet. It is something I only worry about buying every couple of months.

What gives?

I guess not everyone is as prepared and forward-thinking as you!

So, on the news, they keep emphasizing over and over about how the people who live on the coast NEED TO LEAVE NOW THIS IS A BIG DEAL but what about the poor reporters who they keep cutting to who are standing on the beach? I feel bad for them.

Well jeez, I wasn't being snarky. It's just that TP is always one of the first things to sell out and a bunch of people mentioned it here. I've always tried to buy paper goods etc on sale, so I just genuinely wondered why this is "a thing."

Anyway. Pressure is now down to 950mb, which is super low, so this thing is getting stronger, as some of the worst case models predicted. Just saw this update on the weather blog I linked earlier.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:17 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

This has been the day from hell and the storm isn't even here yet. The only thing that could possibly make up for it is no school and work all work. Do me a solid, Sandy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:11 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Not really sure what to expect here. We have a "high wind warning" in effect until Tuesday, with winds averaging 30-40mph but with potential to reach 65-75mph (yikes!). I live pretty high up, so I'm not worried about my home, though my city will likely flood pretty bad, as we sit on a river. I think it's likely that I will lose power though.

I have already emailed clients to let them know that I may be late with deadlines this week if I lose power (since my work requires a computer and internet), I have stocked up on food, I have a thick book to read, and two fluffy kitties to snuggle.

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:15 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

lavawitch wrote:
Well jeez, I wasn't being snarky. It's just that TP is always one of the first things to sell out and a bunch of people mentioned it here. I've always tried to buy paper goods etc on sale, so I just genuinely wondered why this is "a thing."

I think this sort of thing would really depend on whether you have a car or not...I've never once bought TP in bulk, how would I carry it home?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:08 am 
Inflexitarian

Kelly wrote:
starrynight87 wrote:
Kelly wrote:
You wouldn't believe how many places stay open during hurricanes here.

Who on earth is going to go out to a diner during a hurricane?

A LOT of people. Hurricane parties are a huge thing. Or just people who are freaked out about the storm. When I waitressed, the restaurant was always full during bad weather.

Yes..one of our relatives is due to work later today as a bartender at a chain restaurant. I'm not thrilled on her behalf.

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:10 am 
Inflexitarian

Which all we stocked up on was booze. We have everything else. I already took leave before so not an issue for me, husband's not sure yet about whether or not he has training still this week. (Let's see...flu..hurricane..yes, I think is an appropriate time not to train..)

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:46 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Stay safe everyone!

I'm a little worried about my dad flying transatlantic today. He's flying to Toronto, so I'm sure it'll be ok, but it makes me nervous that they're going to have to circumnavigate this monster storm. (But then I'm just nervous about flying in general.)

I'd also be another one stocking up on TP in an emergency. Since I don't drive and have to carry groceries home, I only ever buy a six pack at a time.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:11 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Lepelaar, any of the transatlantic flights I have gotten seem to loop fairly far north of canada and over greenland and iceland so he should be safe enough.

I think with the hurricanes it isn't the actually wind that is the problem it is the storm surge and the water that is carried by the winds. We often get winds up to 100mph here and I've gone driving in it fine and even walked the dog on the beach in that kind of wind so it is hard for me to imagine the chaos that hurricanes cause. If we get severe weather here we are expected to check into a hotel near work if we live at a distance that might stop us from getting to work. If we don't make it to work they don't pay us.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:46 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

We were told to work from home, so I'm excited about that. Otherwise, I hope everyone stays safe. It was busy at WF last night (and was gettin' real in the parking lot), but there were a lot of people there saying, we're just getting things for dinner! WF was out of bottled water though. I went to 7-11 and got 4 liters of water, but forgot to get batteries. So far I've dropped the storm windows, taken out the AC, made tofu scramble and brownies, and washed the dishes. Oh, and I have 8 rolls of TP. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:56 am 

UPDATE: I have 10 rolls of TP.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:00 am 

ndpittman wrote:

Have a great time peeing!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:01 am 

daisychain wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

Have a great time peeing!

I will! I can't sleep, so I'm watching the news and drinking cups of tea.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:05 am 

lol! I'm watching the news too. Although it is 10am here. I might go do things like walk the dog before things get hairy. I need to be at the TV at all times to see what is going on. Thanks to here I actually feel like I am over there. I even feel like I should run to Tesco and panic buy lots of bread and TP.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:20 am 
Seagull of the PPK

listening to NYC news and hope everyone stays safe today. Already raining at my mom's house.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:34 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The rain is steady and the sound of it is making grey sleep like a champ. So far I love sandy.

I might make brownies once we get up, thanks for the idea ndpittman!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:16 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Tips on protecting pets during a disaster.

I suspect everyone here is well prepared as far as animal friends are concerned, but this was on the HSUS site and it might have one or two ideas that someone hadn't thought of.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:25 am 
WRETCHED

It strengthened overnight? I thought hurricanes were supposed to weaken as they go north.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:45 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Stay safe, everyone!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:46 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I hope everyone stays safe. It certainly looks like there is a lot of preparedness.

Meanwhile, here's some Newfoundland hurricane humour: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151015686125950

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:55 am 
protein lump

the hsus posted a list of pet-friendly hotels in north jersey that are ready for hurricane displaced or evacuated residents:
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=h ... 8864510840

the providence hurricane barriers were closed this morning. i'm interested in seeing where all that water goes...
it's been lightly raining here since yesterday afternoon. not much wind to speak of. we're both working from home today.

stay safe everyone! check in often, if you're able!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:10 am 
WRETCHED

For those in the WMA/DMV area, here is a listing of open shelters in the area:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/liv ... entry-2415

If you are in NOVA, looks like you might be out of luck except for Arlington, but both DC and MD have shelters open.

Neither my husband nor my work closed but they did tell everyone to telecommute that could.

Oh and I just found this:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/grid/sandy/

It shows what appear to be Red Cross shelters? It shows quite a few throughout the entire Northeast.

And the scariest part is the blue line that is Sandy, is projected just above our area and the light blue shading? We are in that area.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next