| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 834 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead (TV) NO COMIC SPOILERS!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:38 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

ijustdiedinside wrote:
yes, please, don't mention stuff that's in the comics, even if it doesn't seem like a major spoiler. this show is so intense and surprising that some people don't want to know a single thing, even a character's name.

My bad. I didn't consider it even vaguely spoilerish since they've been mentioning it in every preview for the past few weeks. If a mod or admin could spoiler tag it for me, I'd appreciate it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:48 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

okay no prob!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:27 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thank you! A bit late, but I'll be more careful to mention only things that have already happened in the show itself outside of spoiler tags.

I suppose I figured stuff in the previews was okay to mention because they've already been talked about in this thread. Like:

Spoiler: show
The helicopter that goes down in the next episode.

And wow, is that a major cause for speculation.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:22 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Spoilers creep up on you so much with this show!

I was listening to the Nerdist podcast and Andrew Lincoln was on (Rick). The episode started with a warning that there were no spoilers for season 3, but a ton from season 2. Okay, fine, I'm up to date. But then they dropped some things about the comics! I mean, the things they said were very minor (or probably seem that way to folks), but everything is a big deal to me when it comes to this show, haha.

Also, it's very strange to listen to Andrew Lincoln talk after only knowing him as Rick. He's super English and his accent really confuses me. His southern drawl is so convincing!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:19 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

pickledtreats wrote:
Also, it's very strange to listen to Andrew Lincoln talk after only knowing him as Rick. He's super English and his accent really confuses me. His southern drawl is so convincing!

I've noticed a ton of recent bit TV show actors are from out and about in the world...Maggie also has a lovely accent as well.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:15 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bekki wrote:
pickledtreats wrote:

I've noticed a ton of recent bit TV show actors are from out and about in the world...Maggie also has a lovely accent as well.

Yeah, I read her wiki page and realized she was born in America but raised by English parents, hence her accent. I'm just now getting into The Wire and I thought Carcetti had a strange accent or way of talking. Checked his wiki page and he too is English. I don't think his attempt is as convincing as Lincoln's, though!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:16 am 

Maggie was English when she was on Chuck!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:30 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

It was quite a surprise the first time I heard Andrew Lincoln talk in his normal voice. I had no idea! He sounds so natural as Rick.

It's sort of the opposite of when I heard Hugh Laurie do an American accent extremely well, because I already knew what he sounded like from Blackadder and Fry & Laurie and Jeeves and Wooster. To suddenly hear him sounding so American was kind of stunning.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:53 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

pickledtreats wrote:
I'm just now getting into The Wire and I thought Carcetti had a strange accent or way of talking. Checked his wiki page and he too is English.

Not to derail, but Dominic West (McNulty) and Idris Elba (Stringer Bell) are both English as well!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:24 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Pyewacket wrote:
Yeah, I liked the way they stuck a hatchet in the potential prisoner arc. It was a very effective way of showing the change in Rick, as well.

Ditto. Though to be fair, in episode 2 I got the sense he used his cop's intuition on the gang members he met in the bar and didn't waste time shooting them. I do agree there is the feel to Rick that he cuts too much slack so it was satisfying to see him deal with the convict with the pony tail quickly. I don't know how I feel about him letting the convict who ran away get ripped by the walkers though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:27 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Pyewacket wrote:
It was quite a surprise the first time I heard Andrew Lincoln talk in his normal voice. I had no idea! He sounds so natural as Rick.

Exactly. His entire demeanor is so differnt too.

That is my non-expert way of judging whether someone is a really good actor or not. They seem to be completely different people out of role or in another role. Lawrence Olivier and Brad Pitt have that. They completely fade into their characters.

Other actors, especially in pop movies and television, seem like the same people from role to role, even out of their roles.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:34 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I thought Episode 3 was one of the best episodes yet!

I was pleasantly surprised at how refreshing it was to switch the focus to another group of characters for a while.

I was only slightly disappointed that the helicopter that crashed was not the helicopter from the first episode. A lingering mystery.

The Governor was great!

I thought it was very interesting how he has his own research into the zombies going on. I'm really curious as to why he has zombie heads in fish tanks. If it was about research, the heads would be in his garage lab. I wonder if it is just some psycho trophy thing and if that is the case, why those heads? He must have killed dozens.

I like the tension from his unrevealed agenda, that he isn't just a neighborly survivor and leader of an enclave.

I'm guessing he is about killing other survivors for their supplies and taking in only a select few that he knows will play by his rules. An organized military unit would be too much of a threat to his power.

I'm guessing he is keeping Andrea alive to find out where Rick's group is so he can deal with them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:00 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Were the heads at the end zombie heads or human heads? The military guy seemed to be doing okay, and the last head we saw was his, right? That part confused me.

It was satisfying to finally know what Andrea and whats her face were up to, but I was a little frustrated that we didn't get to see the prison at all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:04 am 

some were zombies, but also the helicopter pilot was in there...ugh. also, what is the tea!!?? the governor was drinking it, so i dont think it's brainwash tea? crreeeeeeepppppy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:08 am 
Bathes in Braggs

In addition to the military guy's head, I saw the sword lady's walkers ( her relatives? ) heads in the tank. The other heads looked decomposed, so I assumed they were walkers. I think your idea, that they are trophies from potential threats makes sense. Anyone alive in that show at this point has killed so many zombies there wouldn't seem to be a point in making a trophy out of them.

I'm sort of disappointed that survivors seem to be hostile or praying on each other. The bigger the group you are in the safer you are. Though given the anarchy, I can understand ( not endorse ) the way the governor *seems* to be doing things. You just don't know who you can trust in a situation like that so just inviting people to follow along can be dangerous.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:08 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yeah, there has to be something going on with the tea for them to put such an emphasis on it. I was just thinking "DON'T DRINK THAT" the whole time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:10 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Ditto. Though the governor and the scientist dude were drinking it too. Nobody in the US gets that excited about tea. They are putting something in it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

elouise wrote:
pickledtreats wrote:
I'm just now getting into The Wire and I thought Carcetti had a strange accent or way of talking. Checked his wiki page and he too is English.

Not to derail, but Dominic West (McNulty) and Idris Elba (Stringer Bell) are both English as well!

Mind effing blown. McNulty I can consider now in hindsight, but STRINGER?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:06 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ijustdiedinside wrote:
some were zombies, but also the helicopter pilot was in there...ugh. also, what is the tea!!?? the governor was drinking it, so i dont think it's brainwash tea? crreeeeeeepppppy

I think we're heading toward cannibalism territory. I don't know what's up with that tea, but it made me wonder if it was vitamin enriched or an experimental something to prevent zombie-ism...or maybe something that makes you taste good before they eat you? Haha...it has to be SOMETHING. The mad scientist character seems a little strange.

I'm not sure the heads are trophies. Part of me thinks he's doing the same thing Hirshel did on the farm - keeping the walkers in the barn in hopes of there being a way to help the people. And if they're trophies, why would he keep Michonne's walkers? He didn't kill them...so what's the point?

I was immediately creeped out by the town. But I also felt the same way about the farm before we got to know the family.

I also wonder if people are actually allowed to leave the town. He says they can, but I have a feeling that they will just kill you if you try. It's too much of a risk to let others know that it exists (hence the blindfolds on the way in).

I really liked this episode!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:22 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

ijustdiedinside wrote:

I'm guessing that the governor and the science dude believe it is a vaccine against becoming a zombie.

I think the governor misses his family and is hoping a piece of them still lives on inside of their zombie bodies. He had the science dude put electrodes on the zombie heads and then there was that conversation over breakfast. I'm guessing information related to that is why he wants Michone around. He probably just Andrea to find Rick's group so he can kill them, then steal from them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:28 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

dr. teabag is the creepiest character on this show by a mile. he totally gives me the squicks.

maybe the governor just finds the heads soothing, the way some people like to look at fish tanks. i assume he killed the helicopter pilot once he'd gotten all the information he wanted out of him. it seems like you'd want as many able-bodied people on your side as possible in a crisis, but when you know your supplies are limited, your priority might switch pretty quickly to eliminating competition for resources. especially if you're a megalomaniacal head-collector.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:25 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

acr wrote:
dr. teabag is the creepiest character on this show by a mile. he totally gives me the squicks.

maybe the governor just finds the heads soothing, the way some people like to look at fish tanks. i assume he killed the helicopter pilot once he'd gotten all the information he wanted out of him. it seems like you'd want as many able-bodied people on your side as possible in a crisis, but when you know your supplies are limited, your priority might switch pretty quickly to eliminating competition for resources. especially if you're a megalomaniacal head-collector.

I got the impression that he likes being in charge. A military unit, even disarmed could be a threat to his leadership...........or anyone. It is better to only take in one or two people at a time in case they turn out to be crassholes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I wonder what the back story is on the governor. He wouldn't reveal his name and he seems to be pretty skilled at his "job" - maybe a criminal or leader of a militant group?

OR maybe he's a part of whatever it is that created the virus and so he feels guilty and goes in his sad room to stare at the zombie heads?

#queenofmeaninglessspeculation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:16 pm 
Saggy Butt

Gaaahh! My DVD recorder reset it's time a week early for daylight savings time (I still blame the Bush administration for that one), so it didn't tape. Now I have to wait until Friday to watch it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:18 pm 

pickledtreats wrote:
I wonder what the back story is on the governor. He wouldn't reveal his name and he seems to be pretty skilled at his "job" - maybe a criminal or leader of a militant group?

OR maybe he's a part of whatever it is that created the virus and so he feels guilty and goes in his sad room to stare at the zombie heads?

#queenofmeaninglessspeculation

i was guessing serial killer! i don't think he has any issues with guilt or he probably wouldn't have murdered all those soldiers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 834 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 34  Next