| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The "Go away, Sandy" thread.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:48 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Proptip for those who were unable to get bottled water in time: Fill up your clean tupperwares and stock pots with tap water just in case! And fill up the tub if you have one, because that water can be used for flushing the toilet and all your newly-hoarded TP.

So far I'm just seeing a lot of wind in NYC, but there's a press conference on the news and it's sort of freaking me out. Personally I'm not too worried about power outages, because I'm well-prepared for that, but the prospect of flooding and/or crazy winds hurling loose debris and breaking my windows makes me paranoid.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:00 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The flooding pictures that are being posted on twitter are insane already.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:03 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Limone wrote:
Proptip for those who were unable to get bottled water in time: Fill up your clean tupperwares and stock pots with tap water just in case! And fill up the tub if you have one, because that water can be used for flushing the toilet and all your newly-hoarded TP.

So far I'm just seeing a lot of wind in NYC, but there's a press conference on the news and it's sort of freaking me out. Personally I'm not too worried about power outages, because I'm well-prepared for that, but the prospect of flooding and/or crazy winds hurling loose debris and breaking my windows makes me paranoid.

This is a fantastic idea. I was just about to say, it doesn't really matter how much TP we have in our house because our water comes from a well so if there's no power, there's no flushing, and that's just no fun.

I just woke up, but it doesn't seem too bad out there yet, just got the call from my work that they're closing early so I don't have to go in.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:09 am 
WRETCHED

Our biggest issue of the day is getting one of our dogs to go to the bathroom. She hates going to the bathroom in the rain and will generally not go if she doesn't have to. I told my husband to take her out on the leash to a favorite tree in the neighborhood. We had success there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:11 am 
Semen Strong

Apparently people in South Jersey are starting to lose power. It is scary to realize how vulnerable we are to nature's forces and on energy supplies. I also wonder whether this Frankenstorm is an example of the "global weirding" which is only going to get worse if we don't get climate change under control.

On a different note, it is interesting to think about what we model for our kids. I see so many jokes about needing booze to get through a situation like this hurricane, but then wonder whether it is sending a message to our children that alcohol is necessary to get through tough times.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:13 am 
WRETCHED

1 million people in Virginia are without power and 350k are without power in my county. And all we have so far is some wind and a steady rain. Nothing too extreme yet.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:25 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It woke me up!

Profile WWW  

Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Tofulish wrote:
On a different note, it is interesting to think about what we model for our kids. I see so many jokes about needing booze to get through a situation like this hurricane, but then wonder whether it is sending a message to our children that alcohol is necessary to get through tough times.

Yeah, really! I've thought the same thing. I'm seeing so many "ready for the hurricane, bought whiskey" jokes on Facebook and whatever and after the first two dozen it gets old. I am genuinely nervous about all this. It's serious!

Everybody please stay safe.

WRETCHED

And apparently Sandy keeps getting stronger. It has apparently started to transition from being a hurricane into a nor'easter. Maximum sustained winds have increased to 90 MPH with gusts higher than that. Sandy has also started turning west (gulp).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:29 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

At least I got to come home early, which is very unusual (I work as a civilian for the USMC) It's supposed to be worst around 5-6 PM EST. My cats are sitting looking out my bedroom windows, wondering "what the fizzle?"

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:46 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

No rain here yet, but the wind is getting really strong. I have been seeing some pretty insane pictures on the interwebz and am officially pretty freaked out.

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:48 am 
Semen Strong

Limone wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

Yeah, really! I've thought the same thing. I'm seeing so many "ready for the hurricane, bought whiskey" jokes on Facebook and whatever and after the first two dozen it gets old. I am genuinely nervous about all this. It's serious!

Everybody please stay safe.

Yes, in addition to the message we're sending about alcohol for coping, it would be so much harder to react to a dangerous situation if drunk. So many people here are saying that the government is over-reacting, but I'm pretty nervous too.

Irene was terrible here - we live near the Passaic River and so many people were flooded out. Thanks to low soil saturation, this storm shouldn't be as bad, but still. Its annoying to see people saying that Irene was a bust when it hit so many people so hard.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:55 am 
protein lump

if the weather channel is right, atlantic city is pretty well forked already and the storm is just getting bad! like limone, i'm not overly concerned with the power - it'll be a drag, but we'll be ok. i'm way more freaked about broken windows/downed trees/power lines. so scary.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:01 am 
Semen Strong

The photos are pretty intense already: http://www.weather.com/news/weather-hur ... k-20121028

Most of Atlantic City was under water by 10 a.m. today. Many other south Jersey shore communities have also experienced flooding with Monday morning's high tide. Hoboken has evacuated the first floor of its hospital.

Last edited by Tofulish on Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:02 am 
WRETCHED

We worry about flooding but we've been lucky in past storms. They recently redid our drainage in our neighborhood so hopefully that works well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:20 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I hope you guys on the East Coast are staying safe and dry.

bird noises | book of faces

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:27 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

esme wrote:
if the weather channel is right, atlantic city is pretty well forked already and the storm is just getting bad! like limone, i'm not overly concerned with the power - it'll be a drag, but we'll be ok. i'm way more freaked about broken windows/downed trees/power lines. so scary.

Yeah, I agree--the only part of a possible power outage that worries me is that we won't have running water, but we're pretty well-prepared for that.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:27 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Our office building was open, but we received an email that it closed at noon because the MBTA is stopping service at 2pm. Everything is right and tight here; stay safe those south of Boston!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:33 am 
Semen Strong

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:54 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

No school again tomorrow. So far things seem safe here. A bit windy, but nothing serious yet. I feel terrible for all of those people will suffer due to this. I am personally thrilled to have two unexpected days off with my family.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:57 am 
Discovered unobtainium

strawberryrock wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
Well jeez, I wasn't being snarky. It's just that TP is always one of the first things to sell out and a bunch of people mentioned it here. I've always tried to buy paper goods etc on sale, so I just genuinely wondered why this is "a thing."

I think this sort of thing would really depend on whether you have a car or not...I've never once bought TP in bulk, how would I carry it home?

This doesn't apply to all the SUV suburbanites that clear TP off the shelves of every store before a storm though!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:59 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i figured i was going in this morning so i was in the shower when my husband started yelling my phone was ringing and it was work.
i just KNEW they WERENT calling to tell me to stay home.
sure enough they wanted to make sure i was coming in for a couple hours to make sure payroll got finished (i do employee expenses) which was fine cause it was not that bad this morning.
i was very surprised when i got to work that EVERYONE was there.

i work in the home office of a medical company that brings equipment to hospitals to do different services (mainly lithotripsy and breast biopsy) and the largest concentration of all of our equipment in right in the NY/NJ area.
they let accounting (which includes me!) out at 11 and it was SO WINDY on the highway. my little prius was getting blown all over the road.
i just found out the rest of the office is getting let out at 1:30.

its SO windy out right now. i had to eat lunch before the power went out. im expecting it to happen anytime now. it's not raining much here but it's VERY blustery.

i just watched Obama's address about the hurricane and basically he said if your state tells you to get out then get the F out or you're putting first responders at risk.
then some dumb dumb asked him if he was worried about the impact on the election.
like what is he supposed to say to that???
obviously he said the standard "im not worried about the election im worried about the public", etc answer but i was like "what kind of question is that!"

anyways. time for seconds of lunch before the power goes out!

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:02 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I just hauled all my balcony furniture inside so it won't blow around. Yikes! I'm gonna start working at my paying job soon so I can make some money as we got a notice from our condo board about the storm and power outtages and so on. The wind was howling earlier but not such much right now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:03 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Tofulish wrote:

Whoa. That is an awesome graphic. I am stealing that for my students.

I just woke up; sounds like some wind, but mostly I just hear happy bird chirps, so I guess they are getting junk food treats.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:05 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

The wind is just starting to pick up here. We're right on the ocean, but we're on a hill, so we'll be dry. We got all the stuff in the basement up off the floor and brought in our deck chairs. Our neighborhood is full of enormous trees, so I'm positive we'll lose power, but it won't be too too cold so we'll be alright. The only thing I'm scared of is a tree falling on our house; I just blew up the air mattress in the living room, we are sleeping downstairs tonight. Got plenty of peanut butter, crackers, bananas, larabars. I hope my car does not get smashed, but I am way less concerned about that than my house.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next