| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

VeganMeredith wrote:
I want to make the broccoli-potato soup with fresh herbs, but I'm on a super limited budget and can't really afford to "splurge" on fresh herbs and I'm out of dried thyme (which is called for). Any suggestions for good dried herb combinations for this soup?

Do you have an Italian mix? Or rosemary, marjoram, sage?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:13 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

creep wrote:
VeganMeredith wrote:
I want to make the broccoli-potato soup with fresh herbs, but I'm on a super limited budget and can't really afford to "splurge" on fresh herbs and I'm out of dried thyme (which is called for). Any suggestions for good dried herb combinations for this soup?

I have marjoram, oregano, basil, dill, parsley... maybe a couple others.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:18 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

veggiepalooza wrote:
Cauliflower and mushroom potpie with black olive crust is 5 minutes away from being done. I wish I was a faster cook, it takes me forever!

ooo this one is so good!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

VeganMeredith wrote:
creep wrote:
VeganMeredith wrote:

I'd just use a little bit of all of those, except the dill.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:47 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

creep wrote:
VeganMeredith wrote:

Dill is awesome in that recipe--that is usually the major herb I use, either fresh or dried. I would probably do dill alone, or maybe add a little bit of marjoram or sage.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:13 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Or that! Just dill with all that other stuff, blegh.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:09 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Beanitarian wrote:
creep wrote:
VeganMeredith wrote:

Dill is awesome in that recipe--that is usually the major herb I use, either fresh or dried. I would probably do dill alone, or maybe add a little bit of marjoram or sage.

Thanks for the tip! I was actually thinking about using dill, but couldn't think of what to combine it with so it would be tasty and not disgusting. I will let you know how it turns out :). I have a ton of food in my freezer to eat first, then I'm gonna make this recipe!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Even though I've had Veganomicon for about a month now (I think) I still haven't made anything from it (I think). LOL.

*stands still and accepts the stoning*

So now that you're done throwing rocks at me, I think I am going have at the cauliflower and mushroom pot pie with black olive crust. But, seeing as I am not an olive eater, I am wondering at what else I could use to replace, or should I just omit them completely? I am thinking a little sauteed onion might be nice in there. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:15 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Moon wrote:
Even though I've had Veganomicon for about a month now (I think) I still haven't made anything from it (I think). LOL.

*stands still and accepts the stoning*

So now that you're done throwing rocks at me, I think I am going have at the cauliflower and mushroom pot pie with black olive crust. But, seeing as I am not an olive eater, I am wondering at what else I could use to replace, or should I just omit them completely? I am thinking a little sauteed onion might be nice in there. Any thoughts?

I've had veganomicon for years and have only made a handful of things. I keep telling myself I need to cook more from the cookbooks I already have before I buy new ones...

That potpie is good -- if you really despise olives, I'm sure it would be fine to leave them out. They are really good in the crust though, so if you're just kind of "meh" about olives I would give them a chance. I don't think anything else would really be similar as far as a substitution, but onions would probably be good, or maybe chopped artichoke hearts?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Just pulled my cauliflower mushroom pie out of the oven, and it smells stupidly good. I did leave it in a bit too long but, no matter, not trying to impress anyone here. My biscuit topping was overworked and over wet, entirely my fault, but tastes good enough.

Maybe I'll plan to try it with black olives some time but I was not going to go out in the darn cold just for olives tonight, LOL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:32 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was going to post that the olives might change the water content in the crust, but it sounds like it was edible?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:58 pm 
Saggy Butt

Made the All-American pot pie tonight, so good I had seconds, even though I was too full. Didn't have peas so I used some corn, and only used probably half the amount of seitan (viva vegan's red seitan). Next time I'll try it with a bottom crust too, since that's usually my favorite part.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

creep wrote:
I was going to post that the olives might change the water content in the crust, but it sounds like it was edible?

Very edible. I have other dough recipes I might use instead the next time I make it.

Would like to do the Red Lentil Cauliflower Curry this week, but I am don't have parsnips. I am out of potatoes and carrots. Thinking maybe some frozen peas thrown in would be okay? Not the same flavour profile but peas are good in curry usually.... right?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:44 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Moon wrote:
creep wrote:

Very edible. I have other dough recipes I might use instead the next time I make it.

Would like to do the Red Lentil Cauliflower Curry this week, but I am don't have parsnips. I am out of potatoes and carrots. Thinking maybe some frozen peas thrown in would be okay? Not the same flavour profile but peas are good in curry usually.... right?

Totally. You'd just be missing that root vegetable texture.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:44 pm 
Saggy Butt

Made the herb scallopped potatoes this past weekend, and they were pretty darn good. Only adjustment I think I'd make the next time would be to add some seasoning to the milk or sprinkled between the potato layers - the herbed top layer was delicious but the inside was a bit bland. Texture and done-ness were perfect though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:48 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Cheezy Sauce. OMG. So good. So easy. Even better when I reheated it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:19 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I want to make the chili-chocolate mole. The recipe calls for "all-natural creamy peanut butter" but I only have Skippy. How much difference does the type of peanut butter make? To be honest, I think "real" peanut butter is a bit of a pain, with the oil on top and the hard lump in the bottom.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:52 am 
Huffs Nooch

amonik wrote:
I want to make the chili-chocolate mole. The recipe calls for "all-natural creamy peanut butter" but I only have Skippy. How much difference does the type of peanut butter make? To be honest, I think "real" peanut butter is a bit of a pain, with the oil on top and the hard lump in the bottom.

It shouldn't make a difference. I avoid anything other than peanut-only PB because they tend to add weird things like hydrogenated oils, corn oil, etc. I just make my boyfriend stir up the new jar of PB so he can work out his forearms. :P

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:25 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

amonik wrote:

It can make a difference in baking, because of the oil/moisture content. It shouldn't be a big deal in a sauce though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:40 pm 
Saggy Butt

amonik wrote:
To be honest, I think "real" peanut butter is a bit of a pain, with the oil on top and the hard lump in the bottom.

Protip - put the jar in the cupboard upside-down for a day or two before you open it. The oil should now be on the bottom. I find it easier and less messy to push the hard lump down into the oil than vice versa. Plus, it helps avoid missing any of the hard stuff and ending up with a dry lump when you get to the end of the jar.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:19 am 

Thanks for your answers! I'm quite excited to finally be cooking this recipe, I've been meaning to for ages but not known what I would combine it with. It's going into seitan enchiladas. It's only 8.20 am and I'm already looking forward to dinner!
And I may give natural peanut butter another chance.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:18 pm 

It was so good! I thought the sauce on its own was so-so, but in the enchiladas, with Mexican Millet, an avocado salsa and a green salad - very happy amonik. The kid didn't eat anything and the husband only thought it was ok though, so it may not be a frequent thing. And then we happened to mention poop and my husband couldn't eat any more, oops!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:31 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I'm going to make the Cornmeal-Masala Roasted Brussels Sprouts for dinner tonight (with Tamarind Lentils). But the recipe calls for 8 Tablespoons of oil?! And serves 4 to 6, so that's 1 and a half to two servings of oil just in the vegetable portion of dinner! I mean, I'm sure it would be delicious as is, but has anyone tried reducing the amount of oil in this recipe? Can I just cut it down to maybe 4 TBS? Should I replace some of the oil with broth?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:36 pm 
Nailed to the V

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
I'm going to make the Cornmeal-Masala Roasted Brussels Sprouts for dinner tonight (with Tamarind Lentils). But the recipe calls for 8 Tablespoons of oil?! And serves 4 to 6, so that's 1 and a half to two servings of oil just in the vegetable portion of dinner! I mean, I'm sure it would be delicious as is, but has anyone tried reducing the amount of oil in this recipe? Can I just cut it down to maybe 4 TBS? Should I replace some of the oil with broth?

I have had a lot of success cutting the oil in half for many of the recipes in this book so I don't think it would be a problem.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:06 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

PSA: Make the Snobby Joes, as well as some oven fries. When it's done, but the oven fries in a pyrex and cover with the Snobby Joes and some daiya. Put it all back in the oven for 5-10 minutes until the daiya is melted. Eat it straight out of the pyrex.
[This was inspired by The Wallflower's (Vancouver restaurant) Thunder Fries]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 32  Next