| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: What did you make for your baby/toddler to eat today?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:57 pm 
Married to the wolfman

We've gotten to the point where unless it's something really unsuitable, we just give the Magician bites of the family food. So he and E had the same things offered today pretty much:

Breakfast: apple, gingerbread-spiced pancakes with walnuts (no walnuts in the one I made for M)
Lunch: we were all still full-ish from breakfast, so E had a couple of whole wheat crackers and another apple, and that's it
Dinner: baked sweet potato fingers, roasted tofu, roasted broccoli, curry dip (don't think M tried the curry though now I can't remember)

Both kids really liked the sweet potato... I think it's the first time I've made it for M and so it was nice to see him enjoy it.

About spice and heat: with E, I never worried about hot stuff, and he loved it up until about 2, when all of a sudden he started complaining about anything spicy. So now I do tone heat specifically down for him a little bit. Only a little though. And if I make something that I know might be too spicy for him, I make sure there are plenty of other things on the table that he can eat comfortably.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:43 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Thanks for the thoughts on spice. Mr refinnej is no wuss, but it's taken us 7 years to get to here, and he still asks me at dinner tonight if there's any "karl friendly" salsa, heh. Surely the wasabi, salt and chili tofu, and gallons of chili sauce I ate when pregnant should have some influence!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Beetroot use to eat really spicy food -- that kid had an insane appetite. I have a video of him at, like, 12 months eating an adult-sized portion of sweet potato korma. I've had to really tone it down, though, because Raygold says just about everything is "too 'picy." He must have gotten that from my MIL because everyone in my extended family is down with really spicy food.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:50 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

DS had leftover sweet potato peanut soup, and red lentil hummus with crackers for lunch. I am preparing for the poop onslaught that is sure to follow.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:24 pm 
Inflexitarian

As I'm typing this guineapiglet is eating a piece of jerk tofu off my mellow mushroom pizza. Apparently she thinks it's the bees knees.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:50 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Sorry for the delayed pyramind mountain response! I actually thought it was a bit challenging. We took the blue trail all the way up to the top, then the white all the way back. I think that is maybe 3 miles or so? My partner and I are totally out of shape, and my hip has been wonky ever since I was pregnant, so if we could do it probably most people could. However, there were 2 challenging parts - one especially steep & rocky part going up. It wasn't really hard, just strenuous, so that was a good workout. Then a really steep & rocky part going down that was hard. We were carrying Kai in a Kelty backpack, and he's now 26lbs so it was tricky rock scrambling down the slope. I carried him up the mountain & my partner carried him down. I was even worried about falling myself scrambling down, so I was super worried about my partner falling with Kai! I was so glad he was carrying him at that point. Thankfully we made it. It was just a short part, but still a bit scary with a toddler. Then about 3/4 of the way through Kai got bored with the backpack and wanted to walk so we let him since that part was mostly flat, but it was still a little rocky and he had a tough time walking.

All in all it was a beautiful hike and a good workout for us, but probably a little too long with Kai. I really wanted to get to tripod rock though, so that's why we went in so far. I did see after the fact on the map that they have a specific trail marked out just for toddlers. I definitely want to go back and try that, and go to the arboretum.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:03 am 
***LIES!!!***

Did you get to play with tripod rock?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:32 pm 

Today, I was seemingly starving on the way home from working and got a samosa to quell the rumbling. Freya was insistent that she needed some too, so what the hey. She only had a few bits, but loved it in that eyebrows furrowed "this is new" sorta way. Hee.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:15 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Older Girl had apple, beans and rice for lunch. Then she wanted cold rice. She had like four bowls of cold rice.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:01 pm 
Semen Strong

My kid is walking around gnawing on a seitan cutlet. It is hilarious.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:02 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Tofulish wrote:
My kid is walking around gnawing on a seitan cutlet. It is hilarious.

Mine loves those too! She hasn't had one for a while though.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:12 pm 

We had Thai food take-out with friends tonight. She double fisted tofu. Honestly, she ate more tofu than me or my partner, and rejected all other offers except for one carrot chunk. Our friends thought it was weird. Just another day in baby led weaning!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:54 pm 

Heh. Freya loves tofu too. It's funny what other people think about baby-led weaning. We've twice had people comment on her eating (whole) pears. One person was amazed that she was eating something so healthy. This is someone who knew that she was like 8 months at the time..made me sad to think of babies eating potato chips, etc. Just last week, we had lunch out and a couple next to us commented about how she was eating so well, grownup food, etc. (and they too, had asked her age). She was having Israeli couscous, a bit of my bread and some grapes/berries. I like that she eats real people food!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:06 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela generally eats really well, but we were at a playdate and she found the salt and vinegar chips and was obsessed by them. hahahah!

Today we had waffles for breakfast (the oatmeal ones from VwaV) and roasted cauliflower with gomasio over quinoa for lunch.

Dinner.... Ah dinner.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:45 pm 

Heh. I shall amend my post to "babies frequently eating potato chips". :p

Today was a rough day for the bean. She's been nursing an awful lot the past 5 days or so, and then today she didn't eat so much. I can't believe she'd have another growth spurt but maybe.

B-fast: nibbled strawberries and yogurt
snack: few bites of bread from farmers' market
Lunch: one? bite of tomato soup (normally a *really* big, second-helping kind of hit), refused rest of bread, ate few peach bites refused pakora
snack, pm: 1/2 nakd bar (at last..some solids today!)
dinner: maybe 1/2 of a grape, a couple of olives, rest hit the floor, refused stew and rice, had couple bites of leftover millet from last night

Uh oh...sounds from the floor above.....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:24 pm 

Burritos, grapes, apples.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:06 pm 

We got a tofu xpress on Saturday and have had the chance to use it twice while holed up for sandy. Love it. Why did I wait so long to buy one? Yes, it's overpriced and might break easily, but I'm happy with the results so far.

Babynut loves the texture, too, and is shoveling it in. I just made basic baked tofu from AFR. We also had a big pot of chipotle chili with sweet potatoes and Brussels, and baked acorn squash with earth balance and brown sugar.

I've got beans soaking for chickpea cutlets and baked beans to cook tomorrow. I'm going to try and take advantage of my time off by getting ahead cooking-wise.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:19 pm 
Nooch of Earl

OK I don't mean to be a corporate shill, but I've been on the lookout for something like this for a while - like those squeeze pouches of apple/banana/pear/mango based fruit purees, but a refillable one that I could put my own purees in. We don't really do purees in general, but we give V 1-2 of the squeeze pouches a day because it makes a good portable snack and having the puree means getting more fruit/veg solids into her blah blah blah. I am, however, frustrated that they are all essentially variations on the same main ingredients, and I don't get to control how much of each component is in there.

Anyway, boring story even more boring, I finally found such a thing:
http://www.amazon.com/Beaba-Babypote-Re ... 1351883636

Beaba makes a refillable squeeze pouch. They're pricier than I might have expected, so I will try one out and report back. We go through enough of these that it might actually save money in the long run, though.

I'm not going to say what V's been eating because we're waiting for a pad or cloth for our new table and until that happens we're eating a lot of finger food and it's embarrassing. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:56 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

That looks cool, Annak. Looking forward to the report back!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:09 pm 

re: finger food...I don't think that's embarrassing at all! Babies eat with their fingers, yeah? : ) We have lots of lunches particular that are some combination of fruit, cucumbers, tofu cubes, pasta, bread, bits of seitan, etc.

Freya seems to be hitting a picky phase all of the sudden...nibble nibble here, nibble nibble there. Argh, she's only 11 months, I'm not ready for that toddler "I'm only going to eat two foods ever" phase. :) She's nursing like a fiend though...not sure what that's about.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:57 pm 
Nooch of Earl

refinnej wrote:
re: finger food...I don't think that's embarrassing at all! Babies eat with their fingers, yeah? : ) We have lots of lunches particular that are some combination of fruit, cucumbers, tofu cubes, pasta, bread, bits of seitan, etc.

Freya seems to be hitting a picky phase all of the sudden...nibble nibble here, nibble nibble there. Argh, she's only 11 months, I'm not ready for that toddler "I'm only going to eat two foods ever" phase. :) She's nursing like a fiend though...not sure what that's about.

If it's anything like our own experiences I'd say you're about to see a new tooth!!

Today has not been a super proud day either ;) so far today she's had... umm.. Cascadi-Os, flax milk, kale chips, mac & daiya, and vegan soft serve (found out about the place at SD veg fest). We were standing in line for Southern Fried Vegan, but V started fipping out and the line was interminable. Haarrrrummph.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:10 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oatmeal and applesauce
Apple slices, almond butter, plain almond yogurt
Autumn Mac Daddy (I've been holding off on pasta, but I figured the squash and tofu were a fair trade off)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

We made stromboli yesterday with uncheese cookbook colby & a combo recipe of pepperoni flavored steamed sausage (fat free susan & vegan dad). Kai looooved it! At first he didn't want to eat it, but then we got him to have one bite and his face lit up like "wow that's yummy!" he chomped the rest down in no time flat.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:59 pm 
Inflexitarian

Today was a banner day in eating! I thought I would be more sad that guineapiglet is weaning more and more but I'm so happy to see her growing and independent that a few loss nursing's in a day is no big deal.

Breakfast: steel-cut oatmeal and persimmons
Lunch: Sofrito baked tofu and cinnamon scented Japanese sweet potatoes (she ate so much the poor dog had no left over scraps to munch on, he looked so sad and dissapointed)
Snack: Oatmeal animal crackers and a persimmon
Dinner: a deconstructed taco made with soy curls and red chile/tomato taco sauce, avocado, and a whole wheat tortilla with lots and lots of papaya for dessert.

I have a little snack section of the pantry set aside for her and now she knows where it is so when she wants a snack she'll reach into the pantry, take out the snack she wants then hand it to me for me to open. She tickles me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:45 pm 
Inflexitarian

annak wrote:
OK I don't mean to be a corporate shill, but I've been on the lookout for something like this for a while - like those squeeze pouches of apple/banana/pear/mango based fruit purees, but a refillable one that I could put my own purees in. We don't really do purees in general, but we give V 1-2 of the squeeze pouches a day because it makes a good portable snack and having the puree means getting more fruit/veg solids into her blah blah blah. I am, however, frustrated that they are all essentially variations on the same main ingredients, and I don't get to control how much of each component is in there.

Anyway, boring story even more boring, I finally found such a thing:
http://www.amazon.com/Beaba-Babypote-Re ... 1351883636

Beaba makes a refillable squeeze pouch. They're pricier than I might have expected, so I will try one out and report back. We go through enough of these that it might actually save money in the long run, though.

I'm not going to say what V's been eating because we're waiting for a pad or cloth for our new table and until that happens we're eating a lot of finger food and it's embarrassing. ;)

I just got this a couple weeks ago and finally used it this weekend. We never did purees and she's never had one of those commercial pouch things but we're at an in between phase with learning to accurately use a spoon and fork as well as drinking from a cup without eventually spilling the whole thing when the dog passes by and she forgets there is a cup in her hand. So I've used this so far for green smoothies, refried beans and homemade applesuace. Since she never used the other pouch things at first it was a bit of a disaster with her not pressing hard enough then figuring it out and pressing way to hard but we're finally at a happy medium and things are trucking along with the utensils.

Oh! And I'm going to try soup in it this week since soup is one of those things that doesn't stick on the spoon perfectly when she self feeds but she loves it so much.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 25  Next