| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Karaoke
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:00 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Do you do it? What songs do you like to sing? What songs do you like to hear other people sing? What songs do you hate to hear others sing? Discuss.

Post subject: Re: Karaoke
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:10 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I have never, probably will never, but I would watch others.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:19 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

My number one jam is "Its the End of the World as We Know It (and I Feel Fine)"

I spent a lot of time learning that song back in HS and college so I like to bring it out.

I'm a good entertainer, not a good singer. So I stick to goofy songs where I can jump around and make a fun asparagus of myself and not worry about the singing.

Other songs I like to do: Psycho Killer, Rock Lobster, stuff from Rocky Horror, They Might Be Giants, Blister in the Sun (I might do Kiss off or Add It Up too, but I never have), Ben Folds 5 (mostly Song for the Dumped) etc. Just gotta be goofy! I need more goofy songs suggested that show up in karaoke lists.

I like to have practiced a bit too, because I am not very good at singing the verses without practice, I just don't freaking remember the tune when I'm on my own!

I looooove karaoke. I don't tend to hate too many songs, though I tend to loathe pop country, I'd loathe it karaoke or not.

My fave karaoke performance of someone else: I Need a Hero. Damn that was good! Though there is a guy around here who always does some awesome Johnny Cash and wears all black and a big belt buckle and its awesome. That and the old dude who did eminem.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:22 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I go to karaoke almost every week, but I've only done it once. And it was the most horrific 4 minutes of my life. So now my love for karaoke is strictly voyeuristic.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:25 pm 
Mediocre Tart

I would like to request video of lycophyte doing karaoke. i bet it'd be magical.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:26 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Get enough soda water with lime into me and I might bust out some Spice Girls.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:04 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

interrobang?! wrote:
I would like to request video of lycophyte doing karaoke. i bet it'd be magical.

Well, if one of the Asheville folks have a video camera, or a camera with video capabilities, I would gladly oblige! My camera's flash is dead, so it freaks out when its dark. It might not work.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:28 pm 
Thinks Stonewall's jerquee tastes GREAT!

interrobang?! wrote:

+1 yummy

I have a flair for the dramatic - my biggest karaoke hit was "S.O.S." by ABBA. That shiitake brought down the HAUS. (It was in Germany).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:23 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

Ive only done karoake once and it was because my best friend forced me to sing with her, some shitty shania twain song. The best karoake performance I have EVER seen was when my Mom, her best friend, my sister and I took a girls trip to Provincetown. We got my mom and her friend sooooo drunk at a bar that has drag queen karoake every night they decided to sing Bohemian Rhapsody. Not only were they wasted, my mom had never done karoake and was rocking out like a star, holding the microphone out to the crowd, doing the metal sign with her hands and head banging, and then my aunt fell off the stage. Hahahahahahahaha they totally rocked it though!

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:31 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I've done it a few times, the most memorable being singing "I'm Not That Innocent" and being really drunk and basically screaming out the words. The problem with me and karaoke is, I have a terrible voice, and yet once I stand up to do one song I get hooked and somehow seem to think people need to hear me sing repeatedly. So I've sort of banned myself from ever doing karaoke ever again, it's just the kindest thing for other people.

ETA: I just realized the the song is actually called "Oops I Did It Again"...oops! I did it again.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:32 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I'm a musical masochist. I like to let my friends choose what song I'm going to do.

Left to my own devices, though, I've been known to do "Inside Out" by Eve 6 and "Semi-Charmed Life" by Third Eye Blind. Or if I won't need to actually USE my voice again for a few days, "You Shook Me All Night Long".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:15 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Oh man, the next gathering should totally have karaoke.

I've only done it among friends, but I like "My Humps." People are usually shocked that I know all the words. Broadway tunes are always fun, especially anything from Rent. Anything by the Spice Girls. Oh and of course "Baby Got Back" so I can shake my asparagus.

It should be noted that I can't sing very well. Most of my karaoke attempts are awful and usually take place under the influence of alcohol.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:22 pm 
Chard Martyr

Everything wrote:
I have a flair for the dramatic - my biggest karaoke hit was "S.O.S." by ABBA. That shiitake brought down the HAUS. (It was in Germany).

I might... maybe... possibly do karaoke in a foreign country. But it's unlikely. I'm way to self conscious for that shiitake. And I don't drink, so it's not like my inhibitions are going to be lowered any time soon.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:31 pm 
Hip Goiter

There's a rumor among my bway community/fora that a bar in Philly has or used to have a Broadway Karaoke night, like chill and calm where people actually listen to each other and cheer them on and are really supportive. This is the only way I would ever do karaoke. It also sounds like my heaven.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:49 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

RandiJM wrote:
There's a rumor among my bway community/fora that a bar in Philly has or used to have a Broadway Karaoke night, like chill and calm where people actually listen to each other and cheer them on and are really supportive. This is the only way I would ever do karaoke. It also sounds like my heaven.

I would totally go to that! Let me know if you ever find out that it still goes on.

I'll be going to karaoke for a friend's bday this weekend. I always do "hit me with your best shot" but sound awful.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:52 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

RandiJM wrote:

Are you serious?! When are we going there?? :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:55 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I would adore an all show tunes karaoke night. Those are mostly what I prefer to sing and love to hear others perform anyway.

And all of you who have only done it once and hated it, it gets easier. Give it another try!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:17 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

VeganFoodRocks wrote:
The best karoake performance I have EVER seen was when my Mom, her best friend, my sister and I took a girls trip to Provincetown. We got my mom and her friend sooooo drunk at a bar that has drag queen karoake every night they decided to sing Bohemian Rhapsody. Not only were they wasted, my mom had never done karoake and was rocking out like a star, holding the microphone out to the crowd, doing the metal sign with her hands and head banging, and then my aunt fell off the stage. Hahahahahahahaha they totally rocked it though!

This is an awesome story.

I've only been to karaoke once and it was in Tokyo with my teammates. I really didn't want to sing, but everyone in the group had to go at least one. I sang a SMAP (a pretty famous Japanese band) song with another girl, and then the other foreign exchange student and I sang a Journey song together.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:35 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm reviving this thread because I'm doing karaoke tonight (private room with close friends - the only way I will ever do it). But I need some more song suggetions! Keep in mind, I have zero vocal range and cannot carry a tune, but I guess that's what makes it fun ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:44 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

FabulouslyFierce wrote:
I'm reviving this thread because I'm doing karaoke tonight (private room with close friends - the only way I will ever do it). But I need some more song suggetions! Keep in mind, I have zero vocal range and cannot carry a tune, but I guess that's what makes it fun ;)

"total eclipse of the heart." failproof.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:50 am 

Good one! Adding it to my list.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:14 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Copa Cabana is my go to karaoke song. I can't hold a tune to save my life and I find that one pretty easy.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:37 pm 

Another good suggestion - thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:47 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Heh, love Karaoke. My tips are: never, ever pick Bohemian Rhapsody. Ugh that one sucks for the audience. Try not to pick really long songs (I know, sometimes it's hard to remember how long a song is). Also, don't pick slow or sad songs unless they are slow or sad in an entertaining way (like someone mentioned 'Total Eclipse of the Heart', that would work). The worst nights are the ones where the KJ does't stagger well and there's like six depressing songs in a row. I don't know why, but people always tend to choose those kind of songs! Ugh!

ABBA's fun, Blondie's a good choice usually... If you can sing in a higher range, Prince and Jackson 5 always go over well... also depending on your appearance/personality, some rap songs can be really awesome. This tiny quaint looking girl did 'Good Day' by Ice Cube the last time I went to karaoke, and it was amazing; the entire audience was in love, and dancing. I think generally people will be more into your stuff if you pick something that you're not serious about, something that you can do with a bit of sass. I've seen plenty of musical theatre actors and actresses sing perfect-pitch musical theatre numbers, but the audience always seems bored, they don't get up and dance, they tend to start talking and socializing with their table...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:52 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

when I get a karaoke room with friends, I tend to do a lot of silly/embarrassing stuff like disney songs because it's fun and my friends won't care! also, anything/everything 80s madonna! I also really like to do Take a Bow by rihanna.